Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Top six side

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I agree completely that the defence was looking more solid and we weren't conceding as many goals.

The issue was at the other end- we weren't scoring as many goals either, we weren't threatening or creating as many chances as we did in the earlier part of the season, and this was reflected in the points return: it was getting worse and we were gradually getting cast more and more adrift.

That in a nutshell is the issue - if we do the attacking thing we seem to concede far too many, if we go defensive we stop scoring.  Finding the balance is key.  IMO last two home games have been pretty even, we’ve certainly not been outplayed in either but haven’t looked like scoring too often and the result has been 0-1 in each.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I agree completely that the defence was looking more solid and we weren't conceding as many goals.

The issue was at the other end- we weren't scoring as many goals either, we weren't threatening or creating as many chances as we did in the earlier part of the season, and this was reflected in the points return: it was getting worse and we were gradually getting cast more and more adrift.

Yep, on the attacking front we suffered the most when Pukki injured his toe, he just wasn’t the same player after that. For that reason I sympathise with Farke. It’s one of those things. Had he stayed fit I’d imagine we’d almost certainly be in a slightly better position than we are now - it’s hard to believe we wouldn’t be a few crucial points better off. 

20 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Present tense Hoggy. Last season we played great football. This season, especially the 2nd half, we’ve been awful.

That's not present tense.

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Agreed. Wouldn't you rather go out having a go? A swashbuckling 5-3 loss than a boring 1-0 loss, where we look to scared to go forward? Obviously, we'd all rather win but if we are to go down, I'd rather do it scoring as many as we can, if nothing else than the entertainment. Watching us plod towards a 1-0 or 0-0 (if we're lucky!) is boring and you may as well give up when we go 1-0 down, as we're not scoring, so we don't even expect an equaliser, let alone winner. Conversely, last season, where we could always score - and always concede - is what made it so exciting. We're going down and we have been for some time, so let's stop playing percentages and 'have a go', so what if we get hammered, there's a good chance of that anyway!

I would be very disappointed if we were not top half but so much depends upon the as yet unknown. Which players will leave and which will arrive and of the bulk who will be retained how quickly they can overcome their psychological damage of a very poor collective season, albeit on many occasions we were not a million miles away from being reasonably competitive, that must not be forgotten in the post resumption debacle

Can someone please tell @Midlands Yellow that that was possibly the funniest off the cuff comment I've ever seen from him. Not true though as I abhor  violence,seen enough for one lifetime thanks. but it was "spit my tea out funny Though.