Terminally Yellow

Godfrey wanted in Germany for £25m

30 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

If Dortmund are buying 16-year-old Bellingham from Brum for £20m, is 22-year-old Godfrey who's had League 1, Championship and Premier League experience only worth £5m more? £30-35m for me.

You've said it yourself: Bellingham is only 16, so he's six years younger than Godfrey and he's already a good Championship player. He has a lot more room to grow, so that's why he's worth so much at that age.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

You've said it yourself: Bellingham is only 16, so he's six years younger than Godfrey and he's already a good Championship player. He has a lot more room to grow, so that's why he's worth so much at that age.

Fair point. Although I would still argue that Godfrey is still young and has potential to be a top class player.

I'd also be a bit annoyed if we sold him for not much more than we did Maddison when we were in a pretty dire financial situation.

3 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

Fair point. Although I would still argue that Godfrey is still young and has potential to be a top class player.

I'd also be a bit annoyed if we sold him for not much more than we did Maddison when we were in a pretty dire financial situation.

But Maddison is/was better than Godfrey. £25m wouldn't be a bad price in this market, in all honesty.

• Like 1

Good luck to him. If i was a young player id find the idea of playing in germany pretty appealing. The standard of the bundesliga is good. They've even got var sorted! I think he'd be left alone by the media a bit more too. Just be allowed to get on with developing his game. Not have his every mistake analysed. 

He'll look at sancho as an example. He took a chance going over there and it paid off big time. 

I Think Godfrey Could Be a Very good CB ,

i think the problem we have is Tettey is Not Mobile or fast enough to give really good Cover ,you look at over teams DCM they are everywhere , 

any defensive players out of postion and the DCM is there i think this is what we lack and adds pressure to our Defence 

put Godfrey in a Team with a fast mobile DCM he front of him and a experienced CB and he would become Very good 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Very good point- supposedly hes on around 40-50 grand a week-

There is almost zero chance of him being willing to not only join us to get paid half as much as that, nevermind him wanting to play in the Championship.

Agree that his salary could be seen as a stumbling block but it could be that Newcastle continue to pay a portion of the salary in order to get a deal done and him off their books. 

If none of the promoted champ teams fancy a move for Gayle then he may well see a move to us as a good option if he is a regular first team player and we have the nucleus of a squad to mount a serious promotion campaign

Edited by Tommo

I hope he stays but the model will mean we take the £25m, if indeed that is offered. I can also see the club blaming COVID for accepting the bid and not reinvesting most of it back into the first team.

Given COVID I think the price tags for both Godfrey and Gayle will put potential suitors off so a swap deal and cash might be a workable option 

5 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Thank you for your valued contribution to this FORUM.

Fixed it for you TY, poor old Cambridgeshire posts about nonsense 163 times a day and usually has 1 good post a week.

I live in hope.

25m is a decent price in my opinion, provided we get some solid clauses in there.

Some were only really deluding themselves at thoughts of 40m+ for any of our players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I hope he stays but the model will mean we take the £25m, if indeed that is offered. I can also see the club blaming COVID for accepting the bid and not reinvesting most of it back into the first team.

That’s already drafted. 

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

I Think Godfrey Could Be a Very good CB ,

i think the problem we have is Tettey is Not Mobile or fast enough to give really good Cover ,you look at over teams DCM they are everywhere , 

any defensive players out of postion and the DCM is there i think this is what we lack and adds pressure to our Defence 

put Godfrey in a Team with a fast mobile DCM he front of him and a experienced CB and he would become Very good 

Question might be whether Farke would be going back to Germany too? I've read his recent comments about this season and a hint at new faces in pre season but want to hear him talk about his plans for 2021.

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I hope Godfrey stays. He and Zimmermann are our best pairing and he would benefit his defensive learning by staying with us more than on a bench in Manchester or anywhere else, including Germany.

Perhaps he’s going to wait until Farke walks into the job at Bayern and move with him there? 😉 

Edited by Aggy

46 minutes ago, Tommo said:

Given COVID I think the price tags for both Godfrey and Gayle will put potential suitors off so a swap deal and cash might be a workable option 

maybe one like the Rondon one that Gayle was involved in before. Means Godfrey can get a good year proving he is a solid prem operator and then either come back to a promoted us or sell for much bigger money next year.

Meanwhile we get the Aguero of the Championship to take the load off Pukki

4 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

maybe one like the Rondon one that Gayle was involved in before. Means Godfrey can get a good year proving he is a solid prem operator and then either come back to a promoted us or sell for much bigger money next year.

Meanwhile we get the Aguero of the Championship to take the load off Pukki

Newcastle would have nothing to gain by signing Godfrey on loan unless there was an option to buy.

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

No problem friend 👌

If people want my honest thoughts- 25M may not seem like much these days, but given how poor our defence has been I would say it's a pretty fair price.

As for Germany- Much prefer him to move there to a big club here in England. Germany have a great reputation for youth, and are doing well with English youngesters right now.

He would no doubt get to start and progress in his career in Germany, than simply sitting on the bench at a 'top' club here in England and should he leave then i wish him well.

That wasn't so hard now, was it?

And kudos to you for not starting a new thread to post it 👍

15 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I think £25m would probably be around the mark with some generous additions. He has some really good attributes but again today he was left in the 'Luke Chambers role' of being the Norwich player a yard away from the goalscorer making this face 😲

He does have work to do to be effective in this position.

I was impressed with Godfrey against Utd in the cup, one of the best games I've seen him have. But what you hve described is generally what I associate with Godfrey. Not a natural defender he is still learning the role I feel. Multiple times this season I have seen him not picking up the man he should be or being drawn to the ball and being completely unaware of the man standing in acres of space who then scores. 

If he puts that right though he can step up to the next level

6 hours ago, Darth Vadis said:

If Dortmund are buying 16-year-old Bellingham from Brum for £20m, is 22-year-old Godfrey who's had League 1, Championship and Premier League experience only worth £5m more? £30-35m for me.

I think this is a good point, but I think there is a bit of a premium for young, attacking talent than against defensive talent. A young, English striker for example is always going to command a larger fee than an otherwise identical defender.

They’ll probably use him as a defensive midfielder and he’ll be worth double that the following year. 

I know its become a bit of an "in" joke on the site but he hasn't really covered himself in glory at CB according to the stats. A defence that has conceded 118 goals in 79 games. And 46 of them in the Championship, a division we finished top of.

But just maybe its the midfields fault we concede so many, so just maybe a tall, athletic player who can play some great long passes could well be the answer to some of our problems.

But what the hell, lets not think of changing anything Neeyul. We wunto play the Naaaaridge wey. 

On 05/07/2020 at 11:42, Darth Vadis said:

City will do well to get 25m for him in the current situation of clubs losing millions of £ due to the pandemic. The market prices will be very different now, as no one yet knows whether crowds will get to see matches next season at all. NCFC state each home game without supporters sees a loss of 1.5m. Clubs will not be spending £m if that carries on.