Terminally Yellow

Godfrey wanted in Germany for £25m

I think £25m would probably be around the mark with some generous additions. He has some really good attributes but again today he was left in the 'Luke Chambers role' of being the Norwich player a yard away from the goalscorer making this face 😲

He does have work to do to be effective in this position.

• Like 2

I recall people making estimates his worth being up to £40-50M last fall. 😑

47 minutes ago, Upo said:

Yeah, there’s been this thing going on in the world, the football transfer market will have to adjust like all others. 

1 hour ago, Upo said:

I saw him stumble in the first half, but I would not call that a fall

24 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Don't read the Sun, they absolute scum.

Christ, the irony and lack of self awareness.....

17 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Fascinating.

I know, my rhyming skills are superb.

Sorry, not a fan of reading a newspaper that lied about football fans urinating on the police and stealing the wallets of the dead.

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I know, my rhyming skills are superb.

Sorry, not a fan of reading a newspaper that lied about football fans urinating on the police and stealing the wallets of the dead.

I'm not sure thats what he meant by you finding that paper scum, fascinating.

But sure, take a minute, let it sink in.....

6 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

This deal could buy us a new stand...

The deposit maybe. A whole new stand - definitely not. Not only that but with a pandemic loss of somewhere near 35m £ I think as a club they have a lot more to think about!

19 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Thank you for your valued contribution to this thread.

No problem friend 👌

If people want my honest thoughts- 25M may not seem like much these days, but given how poor our defence has been I would say it's a pretty fair price.

As for Germany- Much prefer him to move there to a big club here in England. Germany have a great reputation for youth, and are doing well with English youngesters right now.

He would no doubt get to start and progress in his career in Germany, than simply sitting on the bench at a 'top' club here in England and should he leave then i wish him well.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

What a great move that would be for Godfrey, play in a top league, develop and would play in champions league.

I look forward to hearing about these bids for our players and some moving on with us bringing in exciting prospects and maybe more rounded complete players

Byram is already a perfect replacement for Aaron's, I have no concerns there. 

But Godfrey can learn at great teams and in a great league. 

16 minutes ago, smooth said:

What a great move that would be for Godfrey, play in a top league, develop and would play in champions league.

I look forward to hearing about these bids for our players and some moving on with us bringing in exciting prospects and maybe more rounded complete players

Byram is already a perfect replacement for Aaron's, I have no concerns there. 

But Godfrey can learn at great teams and in a great league. 

As I said, would much rather he go to Germany and get chances to play than be shipped to some 'big' club here and stagnage on the bench.

Germany are much better with youth than we are

I hope Godfrey stays. He and Zimmermann are our best pairing and he would benefit his defensive learning by staying with us more than on a bench in Manchester or anywhere else, including Germany.

Newcastle apparently also interested in Godfrey - if a deal involving Dwight Gayle can be done then I think we should pursue it 

21 minutes ago, Tommo said:

Newcastle apparently also interested in Godfrey - if a deal involving Dwight Gayle can be done then I think we should pursue it 

Question is would he want to go to Newcastle? Guess it would depend on if the takeover gets confirmed or not.

I could see him playing for them, but I don't see him replacing lascelles

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Question is would he want to go to Newcastle? Guess it would depend on if the takeover gets confirmed or not.

I could see him playing for them, but I don't see him replacing lascelles

Of course he would- their a midtable Premier League club who can pay him better than we would. We're a team about to drop into the Championship off the back of a woeful season.

8 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

We couldn’t afford Gayle wages

Very good point- supposedly hes on around 40-50 grand a week-

There is almost zero chance of him being willing to not only join us to get paid half as much as that, nevermind him wanting to play in the Championship.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

No problem friend 👌

If people want my honest thoughts- 25M may not seem like much these days, but given how poor our defence has been I would say it's a pretty fair price.

As for Germany- Much prefer him to move there to a big club here in England. Germany have a great reputation for youth, and are doing well with English youngesters right now.

He would no doubt get to start and progress in his career in Germany, than simply sitting on the bench at a 'top' club here in England and should he leave then i wish him well.

Totally agree with this. He'd do bloody well to get a game ahead of Hummels, Akanji and Zagadou, though!

If Dortmund are buying 16-year-old Bellingham from Brum for £20m, is 22-year-old Godfrey who's had League 1, Championship and Premier League experience only worth £5m more? £30-35m for me.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

If Dortmund are buying 16-year-old Bellingham from Brum for £20m, is 22-year-old Godfrey who's had League 1, Championship and Premier League experience only worth £5m more? £30-35m for me.

Yep, this. He's captained England U21s, and is strong, quick and technically sound. There are definitely a few creases to iron out, but if he reaches his full potential he'll be an England international for many years.

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Whilst Byram is better defensively he is nowhere near the rampaging attacking fullback that Aarons is. Coupled with this really serious hamstring injury he still has and I don't share your optimism much as I'd like to!

It is a fair point and obviously one that West Ham have suffered with, hence the move for a low price.

I think our style will need to change a little from this and our promotion season anyway. We seem sucked out of confidence and we need a slightly different style. I think that is where byram will have more success, I do recall he missed a fair few chances this year. So again at least we can shore up our defence, he also is a very calming player when you see his positioning and ability on the ball. I think that bodes well as he leads and can be a good voice if we have young McCallum or lewis on the left.

In Godfreys case, I still think a move to germany will be best. He does have a lot of learning to be as good as he can be, which is potentially very, very good. I would be happy with zimbo and another coming in. Hanley as cover and klose too. I guess you would have some wages tied up with a couple of back up centre halves.