Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Team next season?

In view of DF's comments who might be in the 25 squad next season? A radical, pessimistic, provocative suggestion here based on 4 bigger stars leaving (Todd, Max, Emi, possibly Teemu) to get views:

GK Krul, Mair, Oxborough

RB Byram, +?

CB Zimmermann, Hanley, Godfrey + Mumba?

LB Lewis (?), McCallum

M Gilmour, McLean, Rupp? +?

DM Sitti, +?

AM Sinani, Hernandez, Martin +?

S Idah, ?, ?, ?

Quite a few leaving / omissions / rumours / contract length (Pukki, Cantwell, Aarons, Stiepermann, Trybull, Leitner, Duda, Drmic, Vrancic, Tettey, Thompson, Buendia, McGovern, Klose).

I may have missed some!

Can't see that many going.

Klose will stay, he's at the age now where no ome else is going to pay any money for him so he'll see out his contract here and the leave know on a free.

Pukki won't go for the same reason, can't see any other club in the PL wanting him now so he might as well stay here.

Also can't see Trybull going nor Leitner, think Leitner may leave in Jan if not playing but he's just gone for a hernia op and no one buys a player not fit.

Stieperman will also be here, as for the rest I agree and I expect to see Lewis go.

Can see Krul/Klose/Hanley/Pukki staying.

Tetty will probably leave or retire sadly.

I look forward to seeing mumba, mccalum and sitti, hopefully they might get a few starts 

Would be nice to see Idah get some starts too

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

16 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Didn't I read also that Mair was off to Kings Lynn next season 

Is he? I didn't know. Not sure if Oxborough will be here either. Yet I believe Krul will be. 

I reckon Timm K may be released. Too injury prone really. Likewise Louis T. I could see Tom T and Teemu staying like Cambridgeshire has noted. But, I think we may see more changes than we expected. I hope we can keep Ben G and one of our younger full backs.

I look forward to seeing Sitti, Sinani, Gilmour, Mumba, McCallum, Martin of course. Yet, I would hope for two or three bigger signings (in contrast with our current season) in terms of re-investment into the squad. 

With that big comment by Farke (the first time we've heard that kind of thing), I believe there is a plan, and well scoped at that. There is obviously an expectation right from the start of being in the top 6 (a top 26 club).

The reason for posting is to try and think ahead and not to focus too much on this depressing season. Like the markets, we have to look ahead.....to take stock for sure but make an ambitious plan.

30 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Didn't I read also that Mair was off to Kings Lynn next season 

Yeah, season loan

4 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Anyone got a link to Farke comment ?

The team does need a shake up - for Farke to be able to move forwards he needs to move those on that are sought after by the prem clubs (getting as much as we can) and those that will expect to be first team but are just not good enough for the prem as shown this season. 

This season has shown that we have some ok individuals but they have lost that team ethic and spirit - they don’t believe they can come back and break teams down when the opposition go one up. The youthfulness and inexperience of the team hasn’t helped.

players out 

- Buendia

- Aarons

- Cantwell

- Lewis 

- Pukki 

- McLean 

- Tettey - retire 

- Drmic

- Stiepermann

- Leitner

- squad players ( Raggett, Thompson, Morris etc)

Edited by Tommo

Would expect Tettey to stay. Has he suggested he’ll retire? Unless I’m completely losing my memory, he only signed a one year extension a few months ago didn’t he? Not sure why he’s do that if he planned to retire. 

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

Ta

Do you read what I do into that statement? Am I over-estimating the change hinted at? I'm amazed it's not been picked up much ..."a different group of players"

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

Would expect Tettey to stay. Has he suggested he’ll retire? Unless I’m completely losing my memory, he only signed a one year extension a few months ago didn’t he? Not sure why he’s do that if he planned to retire. 

He has one more year left, recently signed. Likely to be his last professional contract so you would think he would want the year of earning.

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Do you read what I do into that statement? Am I over-estimating the change hinted at? I'm amazed it's not been picked up much ..."a different group of players"

I don’t read much into it. Sounds like there are a few who have probably expressed a desire to leave. Might be just the manager trying to provoke a response. Things can change over the course of a couple of months during a transfer window so who knows.

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

He has one more year left, recently signed. Likely to be his last professional contract so you would think he would want the year of earning.

That’s what I thought, but during the lockdown my sense of time is all over the place - “a few months ago” could easily have been last year to cover this season!

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Probably because everyone is concentrating on the fact the players were scared to go into the dressing room 😁. Difficult to know but it comes across a bit like Farke already knows who he wants to keep plus those that would like to leave which could result in quite a high turnover of players. The German lads have now given us three seasons and might not feel like another go at the championship when they could potentially find a club back home. Add in the young lads and that could be what, 7-10 players ? 

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

Probably because everyone is concentrating on the fact the players were scared to go into the dressing room 😁. Difficult to know but it comes across a bit like Farke already knows who he wants to keep plus those that would like to leave which could result in quite a high turnover of players. The German lads have now given us three seasons and might not feel like another go at the championship when they could potentially find a club back home. Add in the young lads and that could be what, 7-10 players ? 

I feel the same but 10 to 12.

Agree about the German players.

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

More than we might expect will have to leave. Even relegation clauses will mean our salary bill is higher than when we were promoted. I can't believe any player would have signed a worse overall contract.

A lot will depend on how thinks pan out on the COVID front. If it all goes **** up after lockdown ended it's likely some of next season will be BCD and a huge hit to our revenue, as it has been this season.

This season was not the season to be relegated. 

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

5-6 could be fringe players. I expect Lewis to leave as I don’t think we would have spent good money on Mcallum just to have him on the bench so some replacements are already here including the lad from Luxembourg 

21 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

More than we might expect will have to leave. Even relegation clauses will mean our salary bill is higher than when we were promoted. I can't believe any player would have signed a worse overall contract.

A lot will depend on how thinks pan out on the COVID front. If it all goes **** up after lockdown ended it's likely some of next season will be BCD and a huge hit to our revenue, as it has been this season.

This season was not the season to be relegated. 

Not sure I understand, the only player brought in was Byram, everyone else was on a contract already which if the information is true that they move in line with the division that the team is in then wages will drop back to what they were, wouldn't they 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Not sure I understand, the only player brought in was Byram, everyone else was on a contract already which if the information is true that they move in line with the division that the team is in then wages will drop back to what they were, wouldn't they 🤷‍♂️

Some of our players signed longer terms deals which I would imagine they will revert to a 'Championship plus' salary. Less than Premier League but more than they were being paid before promotion. 

My understanding is whilst we only spent £750k on Byram, much much more was spent extending those contracts.

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Some of our players signed longer terms deals which I would imagine they will revert to a 'Championship plus' salary. Less than Premier League but more than they were being paid before promotion. 

My understanding is whilst we only spent £750k on Byram, much much more was spent extending those contracts.

Ok, get what you mean now.

I think a number of those were signed before it was certain we were getting promoted but of course they would have increased the wages, but some of that would have been seen in that season of course.

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

True, but we can afford significantly higher salaries with parachute payments alone. Unlike any other club that comes down we wont have an average salary of something in the region or 40k, we will be half that 

20 minutes ago, hogesar said:

True, but we can afford significantly higher salaries with parachute payments alone. Unlike any other club that comes down we wont have an average salary of something in the region or 40k, we will be half that 

Interestingly Newsnow ars reporting that Lewis only on £5k a week, that would surprise me if it was as little as that.

I think this is a tough question, not least due to the short turnaround time due to COVID. Does anyone actually know the proposed transfer window, I’m sure I read somewhere that the windows were realigning back to the European ones. 

On the playing front and at the risk of stating the obvious, it will come down to how much and how many premier league clubs want our better players and the team that we believe will give us the best chance of bouncing back up. The most likely to go for me are Aaron’s and Cantrell, Aaron’s in the main has looked good and Cantwell has impressed the media so I’d be surprised to see either here next year. If that was the case and let’s say we got a min of £50m+ for the pair then we don’t need to sell anyone else when you have the parachute payments. As much as I think he is a brilliant talent, I’m struggling to see which side would buy Godfrey. Buendia could also go but again, he hasn’t scored in the prem and whilst he has looked great at times also has a petulant streak, we would want good money so I can’t see which club is a natural fit, would we sell him to Leeds?? And the last one is Pukki, at Xmas clubs would defiantly have taken a punt on him at around £15-20m but I can’t see that now, would we sell him for less? Personally I think he provides out most certain source of goals next year and if we sell the other two I’d be surprised to see him go.

You then get into the players that you know are good enough for championship but not premier (I.e stipermann, Vrancic, Leitner). Personally stipermann looks like a great club man, plays well with Pukki and was a handful last time, I think he would stay, likewise Vrancic - Leitner is younger than both but still 27, he can definitely control a game at that level but I think he is the most likely to leave of the 3. Rupp will also be here and my guess is that Drmic might at 27 also fix himself with a club abroad on a mutual leave basis.

i can’t see any of the centre half’s going so famewo will go back out on loan, Byram will be first choice right back, Lewis, Hernandez down the left with McCallum being cover/competition. We will need a new right back as byram is injury prone. Keepers will be Krul, McGovern and which ever youngster the believe to be the best. 

Midfield is the hardest place, assuming my optimistic stance that Buendia stays, you will have Buendia, Hernandez, Martin, silanni and McCallum competing for wide places. Centre midfield is the toughest place to pick, All of them McClean, Trybull, Vrancic, Tettey, Rupp will prob be ok in the championship but none of them can make the step up so I think we would all like to see 1 or 2 new faces in, will Sitti be ready for championship? Probably a big ask so I think we will keep tettey, McClean will stay but we defo need one more, the who is much harder but if we have some money to invest this will be a key place.

upfront, hopefully Pukki, IDAH, stipermann, another number 10 and bizarrely I can see Jordan Rhodes completing the picture. 

so in summary outs, Leitner, trybull, Drmic, Aaron’s, and Cantwell.

in new right bAck, atleast one centre midfielder, a number 10 and a 3rd striker (Rhodes). 

thoughts? 

I agree - it's certain Cantwell and Aarons will leave, but I think we'll turn down offers for Krul, Lewis, Godfrey, Buendia and Pukki. 

Everyone else in the squad stays IMO, except for Duda who is a loan anyway, but I can see Leitner, Trybul and Drmic leaving. 

I think some are overestimating the number of players that’ll leave (that we don’t ‘want’ to shift); his window buying clubs are likely to be a little less willing to part with cash and could well also be that bit more picky.

It’s astonishing the amount of rubbish that comes out when things aren’t going well (players too scared to go into the dressing room?!) and the “fantastic togetherness” when they are going ok.  In truth, I imagine all clubs are just like anywhere when I things are going well or otherwise.

I’m very interested to see what happens to our squad this summer. Webber has said that we will only sell players if necessary as we want to keep as strong a squad as possible in order to try and go straight back up but if we get a big enough offer I think we will take it. If we do sell any of our best players though I hope it will be very few and for a minimum of £30 - £40m each. I’m not usually very sure about the likelihood of players leaving, mainly because of what Webber says about us selling, here are my general thoughts about some of our players (not necessarily the likelihood of their departures):

McGovern/Tettey - contracts expire next summer, both in their mid 30s, can only see them staying with us for the rest of their career 

Krul - talk about him getting called up for Holland just before the lockdown and I’m sure he would love to play in the Euros. Can’t see where else he would be first choice though - possibly Sheffield Utd as I don’t think they’ll manage to get Henderson on a permanent deal. There were rumours Schalke were thinking about signing him at the end of the season

Klose - although I’ve always admired him and regarded him as our best CB, I have mixed views on him. If we happened to get a decent offer for him I don’t think I would mind him going, as he’s very injury prone. Am also happy for him to stay though 

Aarons/Lewis/Godfrey/Cantwell - been a lot of talk about them all throughout the season. They are still very young though and need to get more experience, so if they do go I think it should only be a small PL club otherwise I think they could wreck their careers. Can’t see us selling them all 

Buendia - were rumours recently about Leeds signing him. Did brilliantly goal wise last season but hasn’t found the net once this season, although not done bad assist wise. May go

Pukki - brilliant start to the season and there were a lot of rumours then about him going for about £50m this summer. However, his form then has declined throughout the season and I can’t see why anyone else would want to sign him. Convinced he will stay 

Drmic - originally thought he was a good signing, although I’ve changed my mind now as he’s very injury prone and the PL clearly isn’t his level. Although he was a free agent and we have some players with relegation clauses in their contracts, I reckon he’s on high wages and I can’t see who else would want him. Am more than happy for him to go - might do better next season though 

McClean/Trybull/Vrancic/Stiepermann/Hernandez/Hanley/Leitner/Rupp/Zimbo - not been big names for us this season and reckon they’ll all stay 

Byram - clearly rather injury prone, but I feel he has done quite well for us at times. Can’t see him going as we’ve only signed him last summer. If Aarons does go I think he’ll replace him though.

As I’ve said I’m very interested to see what happens this summer transfer wise after what Webber has stated, and am hoping that very few of key players will go

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think some are overestimating the number of players that’ll leave (that we don’t ‘want’ to shift); his window buying clubs are likely to be a little less willing to part with cash and could well also be that bit more picky.

It’s astonishing the amount of rubbish that comes out when things aren’t going well (players too scared to go into the dressing room?!) and the “fantastic togetherness” when they are going ok.  In truth, I imagine all clubs are just like anywhere when I things are going well or otherwise.

Agree with you there BP - Webber has stated that we will only sell players if necessary, we want to keep as strong a squad as possible to boost our chances of going straight back up next season, and I think the lockdown has had an affect on the financial side of things with football clubs