I'd like to see Stiepermann start a few. I know he looks awkward but a lot of what we did good last season came through him. We played well and got a few results at the start of the season, he was in the team. He's definitely not 'the answer' but he can't do any worse.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I'd like to see Stiepermann start a few. I know he looks awkward but a lot of what we did good last season came through him. We played well and got a few results at the start of the season, he was in the team. He's definitely not 'the answer' but he can't do any worse.

Literally nothing to lose! 

Might as well pour the U23 into some games to get them ready for next season

Edited by NFN FC

Sadly, it would seem that both coach and players have realised the limit of the board’s ambition. Who can blame them when both board and supporters will clap them back to the chumps? Without new investment our total lack of ambition will undoubtedly continue.

Let’s not forget, it’s Webber’s recruitment that has also been a big part of this mess.

Duda, Drmic, Amadou, Roberts, Farhmann have all been failures, all on big wages I would guess. That only leaves Rupp and Byram out of this seasons signings I believe and Rupp wasn’t really signed for this season.

In hindsight, I’d rather we signed no one and just went with the team we got promoted with. I’m sure we’d have more points, better team morale and more money in the bank.

7 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Exactly. “38 free hits”. And if we lost every one? Come on Webber, let’s hear from you.

What worries me is look at Huddersfield.  He’s not set up the club for long term success there. Maybe Webber is just the Warnock of Sporting Directors. 

Both Farke and Webber are new to the realities of the Premier League but I think they got 2 key touch points wrong in the mentality /psychology of this season.

Yes, expectations needed to be managed, but IMO the idea that it doesn't really matter if we go down has pervaded into the playing attitude. Our stars know they can get moves and the rest of the squad are all on future-proof new contracts- it doesn't feel like the players are playing for their lives.

I think they were also a bit naive thinking that players and supporters would maintain our positive cheer through a season of losing and losing again. In fairness, in general there was still a good feeling during the real season but since the restart we've just been such a let down.

7 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Sadly, it would seem that both coach and players have realised the limit of the board’s ambition. Who can blame them when both board and supporters will clap them back to the chumps? Without new investment our total lack of ambition will undoubtedly continue.

F*ck me.........look who’s come crawling out from under a stone

2 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

F*ck me.........look who’s come crawling out from under a stone

yeah i know Graham but you cannot argue with his post.

3 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

I agree, we are just reverting to Delia’s intimated preference of us being a Championship club, there is no longer any desire to make a fist of staying in the PL with her in control. I will support the team no matter what but if we (.. hopefully) make a decent challenge for promotion next season I can’t help but feel I will be suffering some subconscious feelings of ‘why are we even bothering?’, resultant from previous experience. Our record of most relegations from the PL is (to be fair) slightly embarrassing, a bit ‘small club mentality’, suggesting we are never really prepared, or have the means to prepare to kick-on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Crikey - it doesn’t seem to matter who we play, or who we are playing, we just appear to have no goal threat at all.  It’s so strange - four league games back and barely a shot on target in 3 home games is utterly dreadful.

Bournemouth winning, we’ve had it now. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Bournemouth winning, we’ve had it now. 

We’d had it before then - it’s just a matter of who we ‘want’ with us.  Villa imploding might be fun, otherwise I’d have thought Bournemouth might struggle?

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

It's reminiscent of Farke's first season in charge. Nobody really stretching the oppo back line.

Funny that when he picks Drmic up front with Duda behind. Even an out of form Pukki makes runs that stretch defenders and create space. Drmic does absolutely nothing. I hope to never see Duda play for us again. 

• Like 1

Man U winning now, if that makes any difference.  I’d have thought it’s us, Villa, Bournemouth for the drop; Watford have us at home next so ought to be licking their lips!

54 minutes ago, Clint said:

The glaring problem is the team selection was Duda and Drmic, the same glaring problem we still had 3/4s of the way into the match. Therein lies the problem, stubborn (or stupid) is the right word. 

Every match since restart, we’ve looked better once the substitutions have been made. This tells me that the starting 11 has been wrong every match, which we all knew upon seeing the team. As usual, the substitutions happened too late and are always questionable. Duda and Drmic has to go but why take Onel off when you desperately need to score? 

Brighton were average at best today and had our best 11 started, we may well have got the desired result.

We’ve had three winnable home games since the restart and we’ve not played our best team in any of them despite the key players being fit (apart from in the CB area).

close to unforgivable. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Clint said:

Let’s not forget, it’s Webber’s recruitment that has also been a big part of this mess.

Duda, Drmic, Amadou, Roberts, Farhmann have all been failures, all on big wages I would guess. That only leaves Rupp and Byram out of this seasons signings I believe and Rupp wasn’t really signed for this season.

In hindsight, I’d rather we signed no one and just went with the team we got promoted with. I’m sure we’d have more points, better team morale and more money in the bank.

Let’s also not forget that most of the players who we will be selling for big money were not recruited by Webber either.

40 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Both Farke and Webber are new to the realities of the Premier League but I think they got 2 key touch points wrong in the mentality /psychology of this season.

Yes, expectations needed to be managed, but IMO the idea that it doesn't really matter if we go down has pervaded into the playing attitude. Our stars know they can get moves and the rest of the squad are all on future-proof new contracts- it doesn't feel like the players are playing for their lives.

I think they were also a bit naive thinking that players and supporters would maintain our positive cheer through a season of losing and losing again. In fairness, in general there was still a good feeling during the real season but since the restart we've just been such a let down.

Good post. Agree with that. Not once have I felt we have played with the sort of desire I’d expect from a team fighting for their lives.

it flows from the top!

Look on the Brightside, none if us had a miserable journey home. Mrs R has just made a nice cup of tea.😀

• Like 1

Another pathetic performance, Southampton, Everton and Brighton at home 7 points would have probably helped keep us up - mind you i am on mind expanding tablets. No Points, No Goals and No performances, woeful.

And just to make it even more embarrassing, it's the first time Brighton have beaten us here since Nelson defeated the Armada.

Just sayin'

There is nothing worse than becoming an irrelevance, whichever league you are playing in.

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

I’d start Idah up top for the rest of the season. Possibly the biggest physical presence we’ve got up front and would give him some decent experience. Can always take him off if he’s struggling, but hasn’t looked like he will struggle from what little we have seen. Can’t be any less effective than our current goalscoring record anyway...

When the season restarted, he would have been third on my list after Pukki and Drmic. But I have to say I think I agree with you now. The only risk is of damaging his confidence. Equally a couple of goals would boost it hugely.

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I know he's not a million miles away from the truth but he's like the Grim Reaper only making appearances when things are bad for City.

As miserable as the weather in the place in his name.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

2 hours ago, Clint said:

Have they all been failures though? In the right side, I've seen enough to suggest Duda could flourish. He showed that against Bournemouth when we played on the front foot. 

Drimic, I'll give you that one. Amadou… wasn't played in his correct position. When he was, he put in MOM performance against Arsenal, but followed it up with a bit of a shocker against Southamton a few days later. Although he was moved from CM to a back three less than half way through that first half, and was no worse than any other player. So no, Amadou for me was no failure and shown glimpse of being decent for is. 

Roberts? Never given an opportunity so can't say either way. Same goes for Farhmann. 

I'm more concerned Farke's rigid tactics, player selection, and outright stubbornness played a bigger part in their unsuccessful time here. 

Exactly, I’m not saying they’re not decent players but ultimately they have been failures for whatever reason. Roberts, for example, I thought would be a great player for us but the fact he barely kicked a ball, surely deems the transfer a failure doesn’t it? 

I have to disagree on Duda, aside from one semi reasonable match vs the worst team in the league (other than us) he’s been absolutely dire. Even his set pieces have been woeful, which is completely down to him.

Agree completely on your last point in that, in most cases, Farke has contributed massively to their lack of success. But why are we signing players that he doesn’t want to play? 

Edited by Clint

1 minute ago, Clint said:

Exactly, I’m not saying they’re not decent players but ultimately they have been failures for whatever reason. Roberts, for example, I thought would be a great player for us but the fact he barely kicked a ball, surely deems the transfer a failure doesn’t it? 

I have to disagree on Duda, aside from one semi reasonable match vs the worst team in the league (other than us) he’s been absolutely dire. Even his set pieces have been woeful, which is completely down to him.

Yes, but you appeared to imply that Webber should be blamed for poor recruitment. I don't think that's neccesarily the case. As you agree, they're decent players. It seems Farke has failed to get a tune out of them. 

For me Farke should have just reverted back to the tired and tested championship 11.  Steipermann, Hernandez and Vrancic we're a massive part of an immeasurable vibe this team had. That vibe has been completely lost, and I really didn't expect it to be with Farke in charge. I thought he realised the power of team spirit and would harness it as much as possible. 

We're a laughing stock. A self inflicted laughing stock. No matter what the personal or circumstance, when it comes to grinding out results and battling relegation, this club simple doesn't do it. I will counter that though, we do always seem to get over the line when challenging at the right end of the table.

Let's hope the latter part continues.  

US tv has a video of some players clearly not wanting to go back to the dressing room, can be seen on the City Facebook page

Tactically Brighton showed us today what we should have been doing all season. 

to get the best out of Pukki at this level, we need to be playing more counter attack football with the opposition having a high defensive line so we can get into the channels and build from there. He’s ineffective when we are hitting aimless long balls to him or unable to create in final third due to not having the quality to break the defence down with over passing. 

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I would find it very easy to argue with his post.

35 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I would find it very easy to argue with his post.

I suppose so if you play the poster and not the post.

The more i watch our goal the better it gets. The movement and finish by Trossard was exquisite  Such a cool finish from a quality player. 

You obviously gave the ball away in a silly area but there was still a lot of work to do.

Anyone agree ?