Sign in to follow this  
yellowrider120

'Starman' on his way?

Flicked through the Spurs Fans Forum yesterday and they were going mad at everything Levy / ENIC Group / Jose and the language allowed on that site is pretty 'basic' (a polite description!!). If you delve a little deeper there is a lot of mention of 'The Starman' and that has developed further today with reports that.............'the deal has been completed'. Mind you the natives seem (mostly) distinctly underwhelmed at the prospect.

Comments such as ..................................    Aarons when I watched him this year has been a total liability and complete disaster at times... but since he is highly rated I guess I could be wrong. 

More polite variants describe our hero as ...................'bang average at best' whilst another mentions a 'Norwich water carrier'.

Make of it what you will but the exit door seems about to open for 'The Starman'. Although I admit to having a soft spot for Spurs as a dear friend of mine (now sadly passed away) was 'Britain / London / Tottenham' to his core and he and his family were the nicest people you could ever wish to meet, I'm not convinced at all that playing under a washed up has been of a manager is the best move for Max. Certainly wish him well. He was sensational for us last season.   

I keep reading £30m is the expected price. Max is probably our stand out youngster in consistency and performance level.

He's probably the most 'ready' of our younger players, but is he ready enough to start for a team with ambitions to finish in the top four? I'm not sure he's quite at that level yet.

I echo the sentiments about Mourinho though; he doesn't strike me as the sort of manager a young player would like to play under. He's very grumpy nowadays and often criticises his players publicly, and he has never been trustworthy of younger players.

I rate Godfrey higher than Aarons. His performance in the cup against Man Utd showed he was 'worth a punt' for a top half team. Take this comment with a pinch of salt - but I thought Godfrey look more composed/better than Maguire - not expecting an 80 million pound bid. 

I like Max Aarons, but is he really any better/different than a lot of other Premier League defenders? 

He could grow in to a brilliant player, but I don't see him as any better than Lamptey @ Brighton or Kyle Walker-Peters on loan @ Southampton. He's not even close to Wan-Bissaka or Trent Alexander-Arnold. 

I think a lot of people forget that Max is only 20, and has played a lot more games than his peers. He's still far from hitting his prime and being the finished article.

Edited by Icecream Snow

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Flicked through the Spurs Fans Forum yesterday and they were going mad at everything Levy / ENIC Group / Jose and the language allowed on that site is pretty 'basic' (a polite description!!). If you delve a little deeper there is a lot of mention of 'The Starman' and that has developed further today with reports that.............'the deal has been completed'. Mind you the natives seem (mostly) distinctly underwhelmed at the prospect.

Comments such as ..................................    Aarons when I watched him this year has been a total liability and complete disaster at times... but since he is highly rated I guess I could be wrong. 

More polite variants describe our hero as ...................'bang average at best' whilst another mentions a 'Norwich water carrier'.

Make of it what you will but the exit door seems about to open for 'The Starman'. Although I admit to having a soft spot for Spurs as a dear friend of mine (now sadly passed away) was 'Britain / London / Tottenham' to his core and he and his family were the nicest people you could ever wish to meet, I'm not convinced at all that playing under a washed up has been of a manager is the best move for Max. Certainly wish him well. He was sensational for us last season.   

I have it on pretty good authority that the spurs deal has been done since Feb. I posted on here when I heard it. Cantwell to Liverpool was also a way down the tracks. Don't know if that was completed or not as covid hit shortly after. Im not one of these itk t**ts, but this comes directly from a relative of someone who would 100% know about this.

Edited by kick it off

57 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Likely..

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Maybe this was a done deal many months ago.

I heard this a while ago. At the same time I also heard that due to the change in manager he was trying to get out of it as he wants to go to Dortmund instead!

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

30m or more and he will be gone.

Sadly I doubt we will spend any of that money mind, much as it would be nice

where will it go, if not spent ?

He's a great young player but one that we do have a ready made replacement for if Byram can actually stay fit. That being the case if we got £30m for him you would have to say that decent business although in isolation selling all out decent youngsters could be seen as decent business but losing all of them wouldn't be. 

With many of my family and friends being ardent Spurs fans I can tell you that they are very keen on Aarons and see him as the beginning of a fresh start. Many changes coming this summer at Tottenham with Max being at the heart of it. 

Let’s hope it is financially good for us.....we need a decent replacement as I don’t see Byram being fit enough?! 

Edited by Sideshow Tim

12 hours ago, kick it off said:

I have it on pretty good authority that the spurs deal has been done since Feb. I posted on here when I heard it. Cantwell to Liverpool was also a way down the tracks. Don't know if that was completed or not as covid hit shortly after. Im not one of these itk t**ts, but this comes directly from a relative of someone who would 100% know about this.

Must say I used to speak to a number of the players prior to Covid 19, in my job ( furloughed now ) and one in particular mentioned Aaron’s had signed for Spurs. I just assumed he had got it wrong or the deal fell through.

10 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

He's a great young player but one that we do have a ready made replacement for if Byram can actually stay fit. That being the case if we got £30m for him you would have to say that decent business although in isolation selling all out decent youngsters could be seen as decent business but losing all of them wouldn't be. 

That's a huge if. Players who have suffered a bad injury quite often seem to go on to suffer compensating injuries throughout their careers. I hope not because Sam is a very good player 

10 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I can’t see us selling them all, I think one or two will go. I see Aaron’s as one, Lewis probably the other. I can’t see Cantwell getting that move that everybody talks about. Buendia will end up abroad (I’d be goes), but for some strange reason, I have a sneaking feeling he will stay! 

3 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I can’t see us selling them all, I think one or two will go. I see Aaron’s as one, Lewis probably the other. I can’t see Cantwell getting that move that everybody talks about. Buendia will end up abroad (I’d be goes), but for some strange reason, I have a sneaking feeling he will stay! 

Thats pretty much how I see it Thumbo.  The   Cantwell conundrum however is where I disagree, he will have caught the eye of many prem.scouts and managers as a midfielder that can score goals in a side that is struggling. Maybe not Liverpool ( no slur on info posted above),idont know ,but Leicester,Everton etc may well fancy him. I'm no fag packet accountant but I do believe the  club will only sell whoever they NEED to to carry on in the manner that we have in the last couple of years, and if that means taking in say 30 Million on sales of two or three players, but then spending half that on young promising unknowns, ploughing the rest into where its needed elsewhere, then so be it.  What I am reasonably certain of is that we wouldnt be spending that 30, or whatever on a  big single signing. If our gambles, now that we have 'righted the ship' are small , then we have time to build and progress. Also agree that max is our easiest to replace player, maybe not with someone of equal or greater talent, which of course is ideal, Sam Byram as you say if fit is ready made, there will be others in the pipeline , I have no doubt. Yes I want us to be successful, but not at the expense of the stabilty( still fragile ,I know) that this seasons payout will give us. Always a work in progress, just like the Big Boys...... just without the backing.....we have to back ourselves.

52 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Thats pretty much how I see it Thumbo.  The   Cantwell conundrum however is where I disagree, he will have caught the eye of many prem.scouts and managers as a midfielder that can score goals in a side that is struggling. Maybe not Liverpool ( no slur on info posted above),idont know ,but Leicester,Everton etc may well fancy him. I'm no fag packet accountant but I do believe the  club will only sell whoever they NEED to to carry on in the manner that we have in the last couple of years, and if that means taking in say 30 Million on sales of two or three players, but then spending half that on young promising unknowns, ploughing the rest into where its needed elsewhere, then so be it.  What I am reasonably certain of is that we wouldnt be spending that 30, or whatever on a  big single signing. If our gambles, now that we have 'righted the ship' are small , then we have time to build and progress. Also agree that max is our easiest to replace player, maybe not with someone of equal or greater talent, which of course is ideal, Sam Byram as you say if fit is ready made, there will be others in the pipeline , I have no doubt. Yes I want us to be successful, but not at the expense of the stabilty( still fragile ,I know) that this seasons payout will give us. Always a work in progress, just like the Big Boys...... just without the backing.....we have to back ourselves.

I’m a Cantwell fan, I just can’t see it. I don’t think he is anywhere near the finished product that these teams seem to love buying! Good on him if he gets the move though. If we can bring in a lot of money for these guys, we’d be daft not to. I just think covid will change a clubs way of spending. I won’t get into my thoughts on having to sell a lot of talent just to always balance the books, all I get is sarcasm and Delia lovers biting at me. But I have faith in the project, I’m a massive Webber fan and Farke will have us playing braver in the championship. So “what will be will be”. I’m excited to see what next season brings and want this one to end sharpish 😂