Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Player Clear out for next season

I would love to retain all of our crop of youngsters that did so well last season and in the main have given a good account this season, Alas i fear most will depart with better offers from bigger clubs

We have a  lot of experienced players at the club that i feel should be moved on

1] Leitner for  me he made only limited contributions in our promotion season and has done nothing this, thinks he is better than he is, bang average  we can do a lot better

2[ Drmic  Was worth a punt. Had a good couple of seasons at the start of his career but injuries have put paid to any success since. Still injury prone cannot see him doing much in the championship, heading towards the end of his career in his late 20s

3] Klose Once a very good player but those days are behind him, wrong side of 30, physically not strong enough for the championship and very injury prone, not worth another contract

4] Rupp a midfielder who is not great at defending, does not create chances or score goals but runs about a lot says it all  .

5]Mc Govern Bang average Goalkeeper of small stature, not worth keeping on the books as not good enough if we lose Krul

All the others i would keep, they may not have done that great in the PL but in the main they all made very valuable contributions in the Championship and no reason to think they cannot do so again

Edited by Yorkshire Canary

Drmic top of that list for me, I wouldn't even care if we had to pay another team to take him. 

I think Klose is a decent back up though and we should keep him. 

The others I completely agree with. 

• Like 1

Trouble is if we lose some of the likes of Krul, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Buendia, Cantwell and Pukki we might not be able to be that picky, but agree with the OP's list other than Rupp who will be here next season.

Agree with all except Rupp. A lot of Farke's signings took a while to get up to speed, even in the Championship. I think he was signed in January with one eye on the Championship, and I'm sure he'll prove himself a perfectly decent squad player. Coming into a failing side adrift at the foot of the PL is something of a baptism of fire, let's cut him a bit of slack.

I love Klose but he must be one of our highest earners and is very injury prone, so probably best for him to head back to Germany or Switzerland to finish his career. Maybe he could give Leitner and Drmic a lift and drop them off somewhere en route... 🙂

I'm also 50/50 on Stiepermann, to be honest. He's an awkward lump of a player with a tendency to try and over-elaborate in possession.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Trouble is if we lose some of the likes of Krul, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Buendia, Cantwell and Pukki we might not be able to be that picky, but agree with the OP's list other than Rupp who will be here next season.

If we lose that lot we’ll be joining Ipswich Town in league 1

18 minutes ago, daly said:

that's assuming they can stay up next season

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, daly said:

Just like when we sold Maddison and Murphy and got relegated.

McGovern

Byram - Hanley - Zim - McCallum

Trybull - Vrancic

Martin - Stieperman - Hernandez

Idah

Klose - Tettey - Rupp - Leitner - McLean - Sitti - Sinnani - Drmic

In that doomsday scenario where we sell all of those players and for some reason don't sign a single replacement I'd still say we're decently strong in the Championship. Obviously banking on some young players stepping up or converting the extra midfielders into forwards and keepers though.

My slight concern is players players '''getting too comfortable'' and underperforming like the squad before Webber and co arrived but that is only a slight concern. I think any player that has shown signs of 'downing tools' at Coleny will be sold sharpish.

• Like 2

I think it's rough on Klose, Leitner and Rupp. Agreed that Drmic and McGovern should count themselves very lucky to be considered professional footballers. I have seen better at my sons U7's team.

I don't know why Leitner hasn't featured much, he definitely has the ability, anything else - such as attitude problems - is just speculation. I don't understand why Vrancic has to be in the team and Leitner is vilified for a bad attitude, based upon the same evidence; that Farke doesn't pick them?  I like them both and would play either (or both) of them. They are both more than capable next season. 

Think Klose extended his contract to 2022, so “not worth another contract” might not mean he isn’t here next year! Good enough for the championship, all our defenders have had injuries this year so we can’t ship them all out on the basis of injury or we’d have none left.

Leitner looked decent last year. Seems to be something else going on so doubt he’ll be here, but personally he’s the sort of player I’d keep as back up/rotation - we can’t ship out 10 players, expect to replace them all, hope they gel, are good enough and hit the ground running.

My guess would be it depends on whether any of the youngsters go. I’m not sure they’ll all be so highly sought after. Aarons possibly. I don’t think Cantwell will - we wouldn’t let him go cheap and he hasn’t really shown enough consistently for a Prem club to take the risk I don’t think. Lewis unlikely I think (despite being my favourite of the three young defenders), seems to have gone under the radar this year. Godfrey I don’t see it either - who takes a punt on him at the price we’d be willing to sell? He can’t defend very well, so I’m not sure bottom half clubs risk it and is he good enough for one of the top clubs (who might be more interested in his ball playing) ? I don’t think so.

If we keep most of those, then we can afford to let go some of the other squad players OP mentions. If we lose three or four of the youngsters (or Pukki) then we need to be keeping the squad players and focusing on bringing in direct first team replacements.

I do think it is important to refresh the squad a bit, even if that means moving on players who were fine in the Championship last season.

Drmic, Trybull and Leitner would be top of that list. Clearly Duda won't be here next season. Steipermann will have to be happy continuing to be a bit part player next season.

I imagine McGovern will start transitioning into some form of coaching role.

My only slight doubt with some of the more mature players we would seek to keep who did well for us in the Championship eg Steipermann and Vrantic is has there been a psychological impact of our season in the Championship. By that i mean when we got promoted most had never played in the PL and it was their dream, so they were excited and highly motivated. Sadly the experience for many is that they are good Championship players but not PL players so would this impact on their motivation in later championship campaigns, particularly if they are settled at the club as many would realize that in the event of promotion again they would not feature in the managers plans. But as others have said we cannot move too many on and expect success

13 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Rupp will stay, he's Farkes little German loverboy. Think Klose will stay too, not many will want to risk it.

Now why do I get the feeling there ought to be an ‘ allegedly ‘ in there somewhere ? 🙂

Absolute nonsense about Leitner and his limited contributions to our promotion season.

His partnership with Tettey was instrumental in stabilising our early issues and then pushing on to win after win. He was the tempo and out ball from defence.

Didnt read the rest as this opening comment is beyond ridiculous

• Like 1

Can't believe Stieperman hasn't come in for criticism but Leitner has! Stieperman has done nothing for us this season, performances echoed by his appearence against Arsenal - came on, looked lost, jogged around a bit, rugby tackled a teenager, got booked. Pathetic.

15 hours ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I would love to retain all of our crop of youngsters that did so well last season and in the main have given a good account this season, Alas i fear most will depart with better offers from bigger clubs

We have a  lot of experienced players at the club that i feel should be moved on

1] Leitner for  me he made only limited contributions in our promotion season and has done nothing this, thinks he is better than he is, bang average  we can do a lot better

2[ Drmic  Was worth a punt. Had a good couple of seasons at the start of his career but injuries have put paid to any success since. Still injury prone cannot see him doing much in the championship, heading towards the end of his career in his late 20s

3] Klose Once a very good player but those days are behind him, wrong side of 30, physically not strong enough for the championship and very injury prone, not worth another contract

4] Rupp a midfielder who is not great at defending, does not create chances or score goals but runs about a lot says it all  .

5]Mc Govern Bang average Goalkeeper of small stature, not worth keeping on the books as not good enough if we lose Krul

All the others i would keep, they may not have done that great in the PL but in the main they all made very valuable contributions in the Championship and no reason to think they cannot do so again

I don't disagree with your list other than to argue that your are writing off Rupp a bit too quickly and Klose might have something to offer after a full pre-season...

... But Drmic is as actually 27 mate, and McGovern's problem definitely isn't his frame. 

What about Raggett, Carlton Morris, Louis Thompson? All at the end of the road for me. League One players. 

I'm going to go out on limb and say that I want Stiepermann on the list. I just don't rate the fella, but perhaps his versitility will see him survive a year as a backup player.  

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

23 minutes ago, NWC said:

Can't believe Stieperman hasn't come in for criticism but Leitner has! Stieperman has done nothing for us this season, performances echoed by his appearence against Arsenal - came on, looked lost, jogged around a bit, rugby tackled a teenager, got booked. Pathetic.

I didnt rate Stiepermann in the Championship to be honest. 

Pukki seems to play much better with Stiepi in the side, also he scored 9 goals last season. 
Just on the subject of goals, last season our 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th highest scorers were Vrancic, Hernandez, Stiepermann & Buendia. This season by a combination of form, ability, lack of game time& injuries , they’ve scored 1, 1, 0& 0 infact Emi hasn’t scored since he was sent off against QPR. Hopefully they can regain form(their level?)next season

Edited by Year of the tiger

Todd is a PL standard player and deserves to stay in the league get what we can not one for the championship.  Those mentioned all have contracts and will leave only if someone prepared to take them off our hands or we pay them off, which is unlikely.  Need a second keeper and Mcgovern relegated to number three.  Emi getting rave reviews for not so impressive performances occasional sparkles not enough to impress better PL teams.  Godfrey overrated on this messageboard and has not impressed in a poor defence not enhanced by Ben.  Raggett an option for another year given the fragility of our CB's could be a 5th choice if kept this year would have played many games, impressed at Pompey.  Lewis the best option for a move impressive at LB and quality LB's are in demand hope its not Palace though better than that.   

The beauty of football is that it is all about opinions and those opinions can vary so much even when we all support the same outfit. There has been comment about Leitner and Steipermann. I would keep the latter for next season whilst accepting that he was woefully out of his depth in the PL. He is not the most skilled but is a big physical unit in midfield and scored 9 in our championship promotion season and made several assists. I am not a Leitner fan but can accept that others on here are. To me he is a midfielder but what does he actually do so far as the Championship is concerned. He is not a ball winning defensive midfielder like Tettey, he made very few assists in the championship and has scored 2 in 40 championship games so what is his role. ?

On 03/07/2020 at 10:05, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't disagree with your list other than to argue that

I'm aware that I'm taking this a touch out of context but it was too funny not to jump on.

Because if there was EVER a classic TVB line, this is it

Edited by South Sider

Of the valuables;

I wouldnt be surprise to see Buendia, Cantwell, Aarons and Godfrey gone.

Lewis I think we'll keep as I dont think we'll get a offer deemed accepted.

Krul I hope will stay;

Leaving a back five of Krul, Byram, Hanley, Zimmerman and Lewis.

In midfield;

Surely its the end for Mo and probably Stepi

Tettey seems to be as evergreen, if we can keep him fit and protected he can be pivotal next season, hopefully with Melvin Setti as like for like replacement.

Kenny apparently drew some interest from Palace/West Ham in Jan - anywhere near £10 Million and hes gone.

However three from, Tettey/Sitty, Trybull, Vrancic, Rupp and Mclean should suffice.

Exited to see young Josh Martin for me he should get a vast amount of game time now, to have him ready for next season.

Hernandez will thrive back in the Championship and Daniel Sinaini could be anything but we'll certainally need some recuritment in depth in the wide areas.

I wouldn't be too dissapointed to see Pukki leave, he had a fantastic season last year and blistering start but just hasnt looked the same since not entirely sure where is value would be but I'd also be happy to see him start the season.

Its going to be make a make or break year for Idah and I know he gets a bad rap on here but I've seen enough from Drmic to think he'd be a useful asset in the Premier League though I guess he wouldnt see his future in the Championhsip.

One from Pukki/Idah plus a replacemnt for Drmic. 

Overall we look in good shape to mount a challenge back to the Prem.

Edited by CDMullins