Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Last chance saloon...H Brighton

Brighton. This is our last opportunity. Villa play Liverpool away Sunday whilst Bournemouth & Watford have Man Utd and Chelsea away respectively. 3 points and we could be one win away from levelling with 2 of the pack of 3 above us with Burnley, West Ham & Watford to come.

Can we score an early goal to settle the team? Will we start with Idah?

Team for me:

Krul

Aarons

Godfrey

Klose

Lewis

Tettey

Vrancic (possibly Trybull)

Cantwell

Hernandez

Buendia

Idah

It's an attacking team. 

We miss Zimmermann.

• Like 3

Krul

Aarons Klose Godfrey Tettey Lewis

Vrancic   McLean

Cantwell.                      Hernandez

Idah 

• Thanks 1

It really does not matter any more, there is no chance we can stay up, all we can do is damage a couple of other teams. Brighton should be fine now but we could play a part in what happens to Watford and West ham and given the injuries we have and morale is on the floor i would be surprised if we win another game

I think a back 3 of Godfrey, Klose and Lewis with Aarons and Hernandez flanking Tettey and Vrancic and a 2 of Buendia and Cantwell behind Idah, a 3-4-2-1. Usual suspects on the bench, but my Mum is free Saturday so Drmic can be dropped altogether

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

What evidence is there that we will gain any points in our remaining games?

If I wasnt against both betting and betting against your own team I would place a bet on us not scoring again for the rest of the season given our form.. 🙃

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If I wasnt against both betting and betting against your own team I would place a bet on us not scoring again for the rest of the season given our form.. 🙃

You would be lucky to get even money

We were dead and buried 4 months ago, no last chance saloon ( just the truth sorry)

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Brighton. This is our last opportunity. Villa play Liverpool away Sunday whilst Bournemouth & Watford have Man Utd and Chelsea away respectively. 3 points and we could be one win away from levelling with 2 of the pack of 3 above us with Burnley, West Ham & Watford to come.

Team for me:

Krul

Aarons

Godfrey

Klose

Lewis

Tettey

Cantwell

Hernandez

Buendia

Idah

It's an attacking team. 

We miss Zimmermann.

You know Mclean and Rupp will start though

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Team for me:

Krul

Aarons

Godfrey

Klose

Lewis

Tettey

Cantwell

Hernandez

Buendia

Idah

It's an attacking team. 

We miss Zimmermann.

This team is absolutely spot on - about time Buendia is played as the number 10, with Hernandez providing the speed to pull Brighton defence apart and Mario to be spraying the ball about to play the attacking midfielders and Idah in.

We can’t defend even when we try to be solid so might as well go for it ! 

1 minute ago, Tommo said:

This team is absolutely spot on - about time Buendia is played as the number 10, with Hernandez providing the speed to pull Brighton defence apart and Mario to be spraying the ball about to play the attacking midfielders and Idah in.

We can’t defend even when we try to be solid so might as well go for it ! 

Cheers Tommo. That's my take and the thinking behind such a line up.

In response to a few comments above, I'm hoping Rupp and McLean won't start (it is my take as declared), I realise there's no evidence of a win coming, I know we look dead and buried and I wouldn't bet on us either. Yet...if we should win and the other two lose, we are closer and a 2% probability of salvation becomes closer to 5%. (I'm 98% confident we will go down but still cannot get the 2% out of my mind). Draw or lose and it looks all over. 

If I see the line up on Saturday and there’s still no Vrancic or Hernandez, then I’ll accept relegation right there and then. If these two don’t start at home to Brighton, then they’re never going to. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 - 1 draw.

Not sure I would pick Trybull in midfield as well as Tettey.

Brighton not totally safe yet and difficult games coming up so will target at least a point.

Liverpool nothing to play for so don't be surprised if Villa don't sneak something at an empty Anfield.

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Team for me:

Krul

Aarons

Godfrey

Klose

Lewis

Tettey

Cantwell

Hernandez

Buendia

Idah

Definitely Vrancic , dream team for me too Sonyc. 👍👍

Whether we’ll get it or not I doubt . We’re going to have to be actually relegated before I’ll allow it to sink into my thick head . I imagine we will win this just to mess with our minds a bit longer ! 
OTBC 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

Definitely Vrancic , dream team for me too Sonyc. 👍👍

Whether we’ll get it or not I doubt . We’re going to have to be actually relegated before I’ll allow it to sink into my thick head . I imagine we will win this just to mess with our minds a bit longer ! 
OTBC 

I reckon the chance of this team turning out might be the same as I rate our chance of survival. Agree it's the hope that is so hard to shake off.

• Sad 1

Come on, it's over.

We need to win all of our next three games to give ourselves any hope.

Given that we've performed worst against the teams around us, and we've gained zero points from the 17 matches in which we've conceded first, and we've scored one goal in our last eight league matches... it simply isn't going to happen. Full stop. End of.

• Like 1

Have to agree sonyc. We left lockdown for the last chance saloon and we’ve been drinking there ever since but bizarrely we still have a chance.

lets face it if Pukki looked anything like last season’s player, we’d have half a chance but as it is, I just can’t see it happening.

its been one of those seasons.

Normally you only get one last chance saloon but it seems like we've been having them since January

And as we haven't taken one yet I don't think it will happen now

These threads really irritate me we are long past the last chance saloon, the fat lady singing, we are down accept it and look forward to next season 

1 minute ago, Uncle Fred said:

These threads really irritate me we are long past the last chance saloon, the fat lady singing, we are down accept it and look forward to next season 

The fat lady did a treble encore a long time ago and is now enjoying a well deserved burger. 

Despite those that have given up and my thoughts that staying up is still possible, I agree with the op - Saturday is the last chance to  make inroads on those above us and yes, if we do win against Brighton and other results go in our favour, we get the chance to catch the three teams above us in the following game - yes I know it's Watford away, but that makes it even more interesting because win that too and we will be on 27 points to Watford's likely 28.

It's not over yet, but if we don't get that win on Saturday, then yes, that is about it as far as catching the others up.  But if we do win, it will give us that spark of an inspiration to go into the Watford game with renewed hope. One game at a time, though, so win on Saturday and it starts to look interesting.

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

Team for me:

Krul

Aarons

Godfrey

Klose

Lewis

Tettey

Cantwell

Hernandez

Buendia

Idah

It's an attacking team. 

We miss Zimmermann.

I like the look of this line up sony, Idah, Hernandez and Vrancic deserve a start. We’re really at the ‘why not’ phase of the season now. 

Seems really crazy that after all this time we’re still only a couple of wins away from the pack. But I really don’t think I have any hope left - even though it still somehow feels within reach - we just haven’t been close to good enough. Having learnt my lesson since the restart, I won’t be expecting anything more than a narrow defeat.

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Come on, it's over.

Thank you and goodnight.

There is zero... zero chance. The last chance saloon is well and truly gone. Every game since February has been "our last chance", how many last chances do we get!

3 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Thank you and goodnight.

There is zero... zero chance. The last chance saloon is well and truly gone. Every game since February has been "our last chance", how many last chances do we get!

Loads! There's a whole season of them to come once we've sold all our best players and Delia skips off in her private jet with sacks of cash, cackiling with delight that her masterplan has worked, she's waited for years to ruin us ,but now the time is right to reveal her true self and get back to finding those last few pesky dalmation puppies to finish her beautiful coat.

13 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

I think a back 3 of Godfrey, Klose and Lewis with Aarons and Hernandez flanking Tettey and Vrancic and a 2 of Buendia and Cantwell behind Idah, a 3-4-2-1. Usual suspects on the bench, but my Mum is free Saturday so Drmic can be dropped altogether

Shes not mate. Ask her about hogesar.