Sign in to follow this  
NeymarSmith

For those blaming the manager, why not blame the owners?

28 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Interesting spot. You would think someone with his morals and approach would fit the "criteria." Of course he may have absolutely no desire to own a football club but you'd like to think he's on the radar of people at the club if they ever are looking for "investment."

He donated £3mil to help the Scottish league clubs out. I think he would be the most likely, it’s him or Hugh Jackman anyway 😂

5 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Ok, cheers. So my puzzlement is that if the new owner pays enough to make the previous guy a profit and as we never stop hearing, future investment is needed to just survive in the Prem,  how the hell does the new guy make a profit then as all those prem millions are swallowed up in players and wages. I kinda get how the really big clubs make a bit due to worldwide fanbases , sponsorship etc. ,but ireally dont understand how any outside the top six /eight maybe can be an attractive business opportunity. Seems a masive gamble for scant reward if the motivation is money. 

The current owner has invested over £100 million in the club so far but if Leeds went up he's looking to sell for around double that to either QSI (owners of PSG) or to the family who own the San Francisco 49ers as they have already got a 10% stake in Leeds. I think the hope is that once Leeds are established in the PL then the Leeds United 'brand' will grow and the value of the club will therefore increase. There is a fly in the ointment though, Bielsa is not thought to be part of the long term plans but is seen as a 'god' by the fans so any moves to get rid of him will cause a huge backlash. 

22 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

The current owner has invested over £100 million in the club so far but if Leeds went up he's looking to sell for around double that to either QSI (owners of PSG) or to the family who own the San Francisco 49ers as they have already got a 10% stake in Leeds. I think the hope is that once Leeds are established in the PL then the Leeds United 'brand' will grow and the value of the club will therefore increase. There is a fly in the ointment though, Bielsa is not thought to be part of the long term plans but is seen as a 'god' by the fans so any moves to get rid of him will cause a huge backlash. 

Interesting.

We’ve been told on here the Leeds owners are far more ambitious than ours. Doesn’t sound that way to me.

32 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Yeah, I suppose if I was a multi billionaire I might gamble a few hundred million on making a bit more. I suppose that would make the Emi to leeds more likely if Bielsa isnt there, but if we're talking QSI type money, they might set their sights a bit higher than mr Buendia. Kinda makes my stomach churn a bit that these guys dont want to do something a bit more philanthropic with their dosh than pump it into the voracious vacuum that is the Premier League, its players and agents. Cheers for the info though, interesting times ahead for leeds, lets see how it all pans out in a few years time. I wonder how that kind of news would have been greeted on here if say at the end of last season , we were offered serious investment with the caveat that DF got the boot. Some rejoicing, some rebelling I expect.

So you want more investment and then maybe we go bust? This is not just a football club to entertain us  fans but a business and it needs to be run sensibly. 

We don't have billionaire owners so get real and be patient with the longer plan set. We got promoted too early and this is the result. 

With better recruitment this year (besides Sam it was dreadful) things might have been that little bit better. 

Just don't forget it is a business and the books need to balance. 

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

Exactly. Unless you're a fan we are a really, really bad option for ROI. That's why no one would be interested in us. 

I do find these new owner conversations on here a little..pointless. The fans will happily criticise on here but they'll never get together and actually do something. Hence I never feel the club is in danger, thankfully.

Never in danger? Really? Despite all the articles saying we were close to bankruptcy after the last relegation, or that we had to sell Maddison just to stay afloat meaning if he got injured we'd have been toast? The club will always be in danger when we've sold a midfielder for more than the total accumulated wealth of our owners.

Owning a club isn't just about profit. There's also the prestige that goes with it, which for the very rich people (the sort who buy football clubs) means just as much.

Edited by Canary Wundaboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Never in danger? Really? Despite all the articles saying we were close to bankruptcy after the last relegation, or that we had to sell Maddison just to stay afloat meaning if he got injured we'd have been toast? The club will always be in danger when we've sold a midfielder for more than the total accumulated wealth of our owners.

Owning a club isn't just about profit. There's also the prestige that goes with it, which for the very rich people (the sort who buy football clubs) means just as much.

Dear oh dear, prestige? One of the shallowest things to pursue. Even moreso if you crave prestige and dont have the clout to maintain that perilous false god. Which is exactly why we are so lucky to have the owners we do, they crave nothing  but the long term stability  of  our  Club. Seeking prestige, or worse still the reflected glory of other peoples prestige is about as genuine as having someone famous as a facebook friend, I truly despair at what is important to some  . Like I said earlier , plenty of big shiny  cars on the road , but how many are truly bought and paid for .  I genuinely  feel sorry for some  of the younger generation, those that have been indoctrinated  into the cult of more more more , because its not them that are getting more but the people that sell them these dreams.  

Edited by wcorkcanary

Prestige, like beauty, can only be in the eye of the beholder.

There's plenty of prestige within the game for our owners, our club and the way we go about things. More so than in other people's money. We are an example others would like to emulate. I saw Terry Butcher close to tears looking at what we have and comparing it to what the binners have. Made me proud and thankful.

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There's plenty of prestige within the game for our owners, our club and the way we go about things. More so than in other people's money. We are an example others would like to emulate. I saw Terry Butcher close to tears looking at what we have and comparing it to what the binners have. Made me proud and thankful.

100% Nuttyo.   So glad that Delia and Michael  are  not swayed  by pursuit of prestige, but have unwittingly  achieved it by their actions.  It was never their goal. 

Cant help feeling that if they had just a bit more money we could have a bit more prestige though..........sorry, just cant help myself sometimes. 😉😇🤑

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

100% Nuttyo.   So glad that Delia and Michael  are  not swayed  by pursuit of prestige, but have unwittingly  achieved it by their actions.  It was never their goal. 

Cant help feeling that if they had just a bit more money we could have a bit more prestige though..........sorry, just cant help myself sometimes. 😉😇🤑

We got a bit more prestige from the community happily supporting the bond issue. 😉

7 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Seriously? That almost made me sick.....

Get your backside out of the 70’s and into the 21st century.......

2 minutes ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Seriously? That almost made me sick.....

Get your backside out of the 70’s and into the 21st century.......

That's ironic when you consider how our football club is firmly in the present day and has been in and around the PL for nearly ten years. It's in the present day in the community at the forefront of so much good work. The team it was being compared to is stuck in a a bygone age, decayed and not even liked in the community.