Sign in to follow this  
NeymarSmith

For those blaming the manager, why not blame the owners?

14 minutes ago, Indy said:

I’ve watched a number of Big Match Revisited, boy those pitches were awful. I think we forget just how bad they got through the season. I really don’t think these modern players would cope playing on those old ploughed fields.

Yes Indy, the pitches made for the excitement of the FA Cup and the upsets. If the 3rd round had been played in August or September there would have been far less shocks.

22 minutes ago, Cliff the Canary said:

The internet doesn’t allow for the subtleties of sarcasm but Nutty is this a joke, or are you actually supportive of a poster that admits the current owners cannot take the club forward?

If it’s the latter I need to take a seat 🤣😜🤣😜

I'm supportive of people. I don't agree with his post. The gamble Bootsie talks of is stacked against us doing better than we have done over the last ten years. But Bootsie's prepared to actually do something rather than just **** on here. That deserves admiration at least...

B itch

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

It's not novel to blame the owners. The same people have been doing it for 15 seasons. Blimey, we even had a public meeting at St Andrew's Hall on this very subject.

I do wonder how the last ten seasons would have been viewed if those folks had got their way in 2009. A lot of backslapping I shouldn't wonder...

Now what about you Neymar, have you blamed the owners since you started coming on here or is it a recent thing?

Well I'd say that I don't view the owners with any real malice. They deserve, at the very least, decency and respect towards them (which they do deserve I'm sure we all agree?!) And therefore certainly do not deserve to be hounded out or even booed etc (unsure if I have got the right end of the stick here and if anyone was thinking that?)

But nutty, for a while, and certainly since I've been able to afford to go to games and watch them on telly etc (so the last 6/7 years) I'd say that when we need them to invest, which all have knew we have needed everytime we have gone up, we haven't. Speculate to accumulate comes to mind. 

I appauld their efforts in making sure we do not go into financial difficulty. I would argue that suits them as they cannot compete. They keep saying they have a plan, but then we are lucky enough (and I mean that in the best way- obv we deserve to get promoted) they then don't give us the tools we need. 

My view is they have helped us along as much as they can. We have been had good times and they have been fantastic for us, a good part of history for sure, but maybe Norwich City (and in respect, premier League football) outgrown them. 

If they were players, who over the years had kept banging them for us, and then when we get to the top league couldn't perform, would we keep them for sentiment? No, we would move them on, best for them and us. It doesn't mean we hate them and forget all the good they have done, but just simply they are no longer fit for purpose. We would all be sad to see them go, but we need deeper pockets if we wish to compete in the top tier.

We keep getting there (which is surely the point of every season) and then we just do nothing and drop again. 

• Like 2

I think its a fair comment that the owners can't take us much further. However, is just hanging on in the EPL what you want? Losing more games than you win? Conceding more goals than you score? Scoring less than one goal per game? And every season being involved in a relegation battle?

Or maybe this season promised so much but the reality is that was all it was. The great football played last season guaranteed nothing this.

Although its true the money spent this season seems miserly. Was it the board being too prudent or Webber being too clever?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think its a fair comment that the owners can't take us much further. However, is just hanging on in the EPL what you want? Losing more games than you win? Conceding more goals than you score? Scoring less than one goal per game? And every season being involved in a relegation battle?

Or maybe this season promised so much but the reality is that was all it was. The great football played last season guaranteed nothing this.

Although its true the money spent this season seems miserly. Was it the board being too prudent or Webber being too clever?

So what’s the answer? It does seem the vast majority are relatively contented with the ownership so I guess the rest of us must learn to accept it. 

38 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

So what’s the answer? It does seem the vast majority are relatively contented with the ownership so I guess the rest of us must learn to accept it. 

There will come a time when there will be new owners. Despite what Delia says, if a reputable buyer came in, she would be disloyal not to sell.

Everyone wants the best for this club. Some see the best differently to others. But I believe Delia would do the right thing and sell.

Not every new owner is after laundering money. Although there are probably no mega rich Norwich supporters out there, that doesn't mean no-one won't see us as having a good foundation to invest in.

And in the end, it is what you want out of your club that counts. And as you say, the majority are more than content.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

That’s just what we’ve had this season. And it’s not like being mid table in the EPL is a negative! Every week we’ll see top class football, the best footballers playing against us and as we earn more cash the club can spend more freely and we may finally be able to finance stuff like ground expansion, or have a squad deep enough to compete in the cups! I don’t get why being in the EPL, just in it and involved, is seen as such a negative by some fans! I’m sick and tired of not competing in the top league and being relegated after 1 season, what’s wrong with wanting more for the club I love?!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

There will come a time when there will be new owners. Despite what Delia says, if a reputable buyer came in, she would be disloyal not to sell.

Everyone wants the best for this club. Some see the best differently to others. But I believe Delia would do the right thing and sell.

Not every new owner is after laundering money. Although there are probably no mega rich Norwich supporters out there, that doesn't mean no-one won't see us as having a good foundation to invest in.

And in the end, it is what you want out of your club that counts. And as you say, the majority are more than content.

Can’t disagree with a word you have written. 

2 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

Well I'd say that I don't view the owners with any real malice. They deserve, at the very least, decency and respect towards them (which they do deserve I'm sure we all agree?!) And therefore certainly do not deserve to be hounded out or even booed etc (unsure if I have got the right end of the stick here and if anyone was thinking that?)

But nutty, for a while, and certainly since I've been able to afford to go to games and watch them on telly etc (so the last 6/7 years) I'd say that when we need them to invest, which all have knew we have needed everytime we have gone up, we haven't. Speculate to accumulate comes to mind. 

I appauld their efforts in making sure we do not go into financial difficulty. I would argue that suits them as they cannot compete. They keep saying they have a plan, but then we are lucky enough (and I mean that in the best way- obv we deserve to get promoted) they then don't give us the tools we need. 

My view is they have helped us along as much as they can. We have been had good times and they have been fantastic for us, a good part of history for sure, but maybe Norwich City (and in respect, premier League football) outgrown them. 

If they were players, who over the years had kept banging them for us, and then when we get to the top league couldn't perform, would we keep them for sentiment? No, we would move them on, best for them and us. It doesn't mean we hate them and forget all the good they have done, but just simply they are no longer fit for purpose. We would all be sad to see them go, but we need deeper pockets if we wish to compete in the top tier.

We keep getting there (which is surely the point of every season) and then we just do nothing and drop again. 

I think where you and I differ is the idea that if we change the owners we keep the club we are and any new owner with more money would then improve it. I've said this before that this view makes sense if you add money to the club we are. But that isn't what you and others are advocating. You are saying get rid of what we are and start again with a richer owner. Owners don't just turn up and say "super club, everything is spot on, a few quid and we'll be established in the PL forever". The new owner will have their own ideas and reasons for owning our club. It's then a bigger gamble because we are already consistently outperforming a lot of these investor owners at other clubs. I think we are three times more likely to be worse off on the evidence of these other clubs.

But I have never put blind faith in money. I put faith in people who have proved they are worth it.

• Like 2

There has been much discussion about 'ambition' so I'm going to throw this out there - does it suit Delia and Michael to be relegated?

If by some miracle Norwich stay up surely the team would have to be strengthened requiring significant investment, what would the owners do then?

Anyone got any idea exactly how many investors in Prem league Clubs actually make a Real Profit?  .....or Champs Clubs for that matter? Investors want profit. 

Leeds made an operating loss of nearly £40 million last year, however the current owner will make a huge profit on his overall investment if they are promoted and he sells which has always been his long term plan.

8 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

https://spfltrust.org.uk/who-is-james-anderson/

I remember reading about this guy the other week, can’t imagine he is short of a bob or two. Don’t know anything about him though, except he is a Norwich fan!

1 minute ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I remember reading about this guy the other week, can’t imagine he is short of a bob or two. Don’t know anything about him though, except he is a Norwich fan!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5656558/who-is-james-anderson-spfl-hearts-worth/amp/

A better article on him

6 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Leeds made an operating loss of nearly £40 million last year, however the current owner will make a huge profit on his overall investment if they are promoted and he sells which has always been his long term plan.

Ok, cheers. So my puzzlement is that if the new owner pays enough to make the previous guy a profit and as we never stop hearing, future investment is needed to just survive in the Prem,  how the hell does the new guy make a profit then as all those prem millions are swallowed up in players and wages. I kinda get how the really big clubs make a bit due to worldwide fanbases , sponsorship etc. ,but ireally dont understand how any outside the top six /eight maybe can be an attractive business opportunity. Seems a masive gamble for scant reward if the motivation is money. 

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Ok, cheers. So my puzzlement is that if the new owner pays enough to make the previous guy a profit and as we never stop hearing, future investment is needed to just survive in the Prem,  how the hell does the new guy make a profit then as all those prem millions are swallowed up in players and wages. I kinda get how the really big clubs make a bit due to worldwide fanbases , sponsorship etc. ,but ireally dont understand how any outside the top six /eight maybe can be an attractive business opportunity. Seems a masive gamble for scant reward if the motivation is money. 

This. How much to buy the club? £50 million? £60 million? Then how much more on top of that to add in order to bring in the players and wages required? And how do they then get a return on such a massive investment? Who has that kind of money to throw away?

2 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

This. How much to buy the club? £50 million? £60 million? Then how much more on top of that to add in order to bring in the players and wages required? And how do they then get a return on such a massive investment? Who has that kind of money to throw away?

Yep, never understood all that money stuff. Guess thats why I'm stuck here in the west of ireland ,instead of commuting in and out of some city , chasing a buck.   Veg Garden doing well this year and the rain should bring a fresh run of salmon and sea trout into the nearby river. Big tides next few days should help that. 96 reg  civic still going strong too.  Always try to stick to the Mantra..... Keep it simple, Stupid. 

24 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

Exactly. Unless you're a fan we are a really, really bad option for ROI. That's why no one would be interested in us. 

I do find these new owner conversations on here a little..pointless. The fans will happily criticise on here but they'll never get together and actually do something. Hence I never feel the club is in danger, thankfully.

2 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

There has been much discussion about 'ambition' so I'm going to throw this out there - does it suit Delia and Michael to be relegated?

If by some miracle Norwich stay up surely the team would have to be strengthened requiring significant investment, what would the owners do then?

If it were my business and my investment I would be having a conversation with Mr Webber as to what exactly went wrong this season. I can't believe any business owner would be happy. If they are happy, they shouldn't be running a football club.

We've been through this a thousand times, unless we are majority shareholders or can form a group that is , its not our decision.  Thats footy, that's life, pi$$ing in the wind is a waste of your life. Its also probably not very good for your head to be railing against something that you have no effect on.  King Canute eventually sussed that.  Aaaaanyway off to work for the morning now , then a long weekend of summer fun. Tight lines to all.

"Don't mention the majority shareholding duo or the NCFC board"......

"I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right" . . 

"So it's all forgotten now and let's hear no more about it." 

"So that's two Stowmarket scrimpy Salads, one Micky Chicken mayonnaise, a Stephan's moussetach, one Tom Turkey curry and two Webbo waffles with extra cream ".....  
Edited by Mello Yello
spelling

11 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

That’s just what we’ve had this season. And it’s not like being mid table in the EPL is a negative! Every week we’ll see top class football, the best footballers playing against us and as we earn more cash the club can spend more freely and we may finally be able to finance stuff like ground expansion, or have a squad deep enough to compete in the cups! I don’t get why being in the EPL, just in it and involved, is seen as such a negative by some fans! I’m sick and tired of not competing in the top league and being relegated after 1 season, what’s wrong with wanting more for the club I love?!

Each to their own, CW, but about being a stable PL mid table club season upon season...

How satisfied would you be being a Burnley fan these last how ever many years? How many cup finals have they competed in, complete with their PL squad depth they’ve built up with all their PL money? In fact, how many of these mid table teams do something special in the cups? 

They aren’t doing anything other than just ‘being in the PL’. Season after season of Groundhog Day. A miserable, bland and boring existence. Who don’t beat the ‘top teams’ any more than we do. Ever met a happy Burnley fan? No, neither have I. You would soon be very very bored, and I wouldn’t mind betting, be even more frustrated than you are now.

Now, if we got insane investment like Man City I could understand the excitement, now you’d really be talking.

But ironically, when fans desire the Burnley mould and the desire to become a settled mid table PL side, for me that is the epitome of a lack of ambition imho. Next season they look forward to what? More chance of a relegation battle than a cup is what. Next season we’ll likely be looking forward to a battle for promotion. Experience has told me that 3 points in the PL doesn’t feel significantly different to 3 points in the Championship - I doubt the euphoria of winning the PL is any greater either to be honest.

I am so pleased we’re not Burnley.

My views on the owners are well documented. Good people but holding us back when we get to this level with their intransigence over stepping aside and lack of genuine desire to retain our place at the top table. 

So far as this season is concerned, I think its a mixture of both Farke and the ownership position. The latter has meant we have been handicapped from the start. We are not competing on a vaguely level playing field and Farke has been handed an almost impossible task.

That said, I don't feel its entirely down to the lack of funds that we have had so many injuries, left ourselves short in key positions (although partially linked that one as if we had more money....) and particularly that we have not been able to organise the defence or respond tactically (or with timely subs) during games all season. Yes, Farke's ability to influence games tactically is obviously dependent on the options he has at his disposal which are limited but I don't feel that he has had a great season either or got the best out of what he has had at his disposal.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Now pro-takeover fans have a name all they need to do is contact him. Nothing could be simpler.

Merely pointing out there are rich Norwich fans, don’t worry Delia fan, I won’t be ringing him just yet!

20 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

My views on the owners are well documented. Good people but holding us back when we get to this level with their intransigence over stepping aside and lack of genuine desire to retain our place at the top table. 

So far as this season is concerned, I think its a mixture of both Farke and the ownership position. The latter has meant we have been handicapped from the start. We are not competing on a vaguely level playing field and Farke has been handed an almost impossible task.

That said, I don't feel its entirely down to the lack of funds that we have had so many injuries, left ourselves short in key positions (although partially linked that one as if we had more money....) and particularly that we have not been able to organise the defence or respond tactically (or with timely subs) during games all season. Yes, Farke's ability to influence games tactically is obviously dependent on the options he has at his disposal which are limited but I don't feel that he has had a great season either or got the best out of what he has had at his disposal.

Fair comments, Jim.

The only thing I don’t buy is the injury notion. We’ve largely had the same backroom staff for several years. If it was the same year on year, then I’d be inclined to agree something was amiss.

But that hasn’t been the case. Every club has this happen, it’s a circle - some seasons squads are largely unscathed, other seasons not so. It happens. Unfortunately ours has happened in a season when we needed all the luck we could get. 

Based over 3 years and essentially the same team, common sense would tell me to put this down to it just not being our year rather than something sinister happening behind the scenes.

27 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Merely pointing out there are rich Norwich fans, don’t worry Delia fan, I won’t be ringing him just yet!

Why not, a faint heart never won the Fair Maiden.

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Interesting spot. You would think someone with his morals and approach would fit the "criteria." Of course he may have absolutely no desire to own a football club but you'd like to think he's on the radar of people at the club if they ever are looking for "investment."

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Interesting spot. You would think someone with his morals and approach would fit the "criteria." Of course he may have absolutely no desire to own a football club but you'd like to think he's on the radar of people at the club if they ever are looking for "investment."

If he has hundreds of millions spare he could be useful to the Club for a couple of seasons, then the money would be gone and we'd be looking for more if we hadnt won the Champions league or the Euromillions lotto by then. Run a tight ship, slow, incremental progression , I beleive theres more to being a success than league position alone. There's Plenty of big shiny cars on the road , but how many of them are bought and paid for.......?