Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

I thought we were better tonight than against Saints

Done decent spells but undone but two horrific individual errors. Goals change games (as do these ridiculous drinks breaks) and we were doing ok but then Krul makes that inexplicable error and it changes things.

Same in the second half where we were playing quite well then Drmic inexplicably does that.

Ultimately we should be playing the percentages in those situations so it’s massively frustrating but I saw more encouragement tonight and on Saturday than in those pathetic home displays and ridiculous selections.

we have left ourselves too much to do but we still have a lot of decent players, albeit too many who are prone to spectacular blunders.

ps. We are markedly better with Cantwell or Buendia behind the striker. 

• Like 2

Well if we played worse than Southampton then I would really been disappointed, we were horrific that day, probably on a par with the Villa game.

We are a team devoid of all confidence. Some bright parts tonight and switching to a back 3 shows promise. The season can't end soon enough for me though.

Well the connection between the two games is that in both, our manager failed to respond quickly enough tactically. Against Southampton their change of formation for the second half took us apart and tonight Arsenal starting with 3 at the back seemed to be a complete surprise to us and we didn't match it until half-time - when the game was already lost.

I'm not defending the players necessarily (two stupid individual errors in particular, but also Trybull not tracking and Godfrey yet again lunging a clearance out of defence when he didn't need to) but they are not being helped by our manager also not being brave enough. We don't have the quality of player to impose a 442 on Arsenal at the Emirates - it was suicidal.

My complaint this season is consistently the same - the opposition never have to try that hard to score against us.

I still support Farke/Webber as I think Farke and his team have learned hugely over the last 3 seasons. I also don't fear the minor rebuild necessary - but we have to be ruthless enough to admit that we have to change the way we set up to be harder to play against. Yes we could probably win lots of games next year 3-2 or 4-3 again (and it was wonderful) but if we want to survive in the EPL we must be able to stop the opposition scoring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We look ok for periods when we get players forward and can keep the ball . Last night we had to wait until we were 2 nil down and Arsenal sat off the high press. 

Soton took a while to work out our vulnerability to the press , but as soon as they worked out taking the ball off Trybull it was curtains . 

we look ok when the other team let us play as we wish. Even Man City did . As soon as the other team close us down /press and stop us comfortably playing out we are knackered. If we kick it long it’s just handing back possession. 

Farke hasn’t learned this year. 

I agree, we looked much more solid despite the scoreline which was more of a reflection of individual defensive errors than bad play overall. Rupp, Tetty and McLean all looked good.

Krul has been great all year but for some reason and just for a second there he must have been thinking he was Neymar.

Neymar he ain't. I'm sure he knows that anyway plus he's a big enough person to bounce back.