Sign in to follow this  
HertsCanary93

How does Farke turn it back around?

Taking the (basically) full season into account, in my opinion this has been the least exciting stab at staying in the Premier League we have ever had. 

Boring, slow and sideways football. Creative midfielders have been left in the cold so we can pack the midfield with multiple runners/kickers like Rupp, Tettey and Trybull. All good players in the right system, but so uninspired when left without a creative partner. 

Cantwell and Buendia are having to drop far too deep to even get a sniff at the ball, and Pukki is being forced to run around like a headless chicken as he is so isolated. 

Pundits are still lazily praising our style of play, but Farkeball has been dead since at least December.

4 league goals in 2020 - absolutely criminal. 

21 goals in 32 games. The widely lambasted Chris Hughton season, led by the Wolf himself managed a tally of 28. I cannot see us besting that dreadful haul. 

Farke has a monumental task at getting this squad back to playing the football that got us promoted - at the moment, it is some of the worst I have seen at this level. 

Edited by HertsCanary93
  • Like 4

Stop taking Teemu off and make sure he gets good quality players to work with him. Taking him off at half time IS AN INSULT. replacing Teemu with Drmic is AN INSULT TO TEEMU. How the fk is he going to find his form if his manager doesn't support him? 

Did a good job getting promoted with a squad which was packed with a lot of very average Championship players. 

Was then asked by Webber to keep us in the Premier League with those very average Championship players.

He can't turn it around. Only Webber can do that by providing him with the tools he needs to stay in the Premier League next time if we manage to get back in. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 4

Farke has rightly said what he saw against Man U was a team a little bit more solid which actually benefits our attacking play. Our problem this season is we don't start at the foundations and build forward, we try and get away with attacking regardless and we pay the price.

Without the freak opener, we were doing alright today. Once we go behind we start pushing on and, although we can play at an intensity that causes teams problems, once they work that out we will get picked off.

As I said on the match thread, what it comes down to now is keeping the chins up and learning from the errors this season. We are naive in the way we set out, and if we can learn from it then it is worth it. Presently I don't believe we have the personnel to turn this season around.

Just now, Harry53 said:

Stop taking Teemu off and make sure he gets good quality players to work with him. Taking him off at half time IS AN INSULT. replacing Teemu with Drmic is AN INSULT TO TEEMU. How the fk is he going to find his form if his manager doesn't support him? 

In my opinion our issues are running deeper than Teemu vs Drmic. We could have had Sergio Aguero up front since the restart and we still wouldn't have scored.

We have so little creativity and movement around our strikers, that the only "chances" we're creating are 25-30 yard pot shots from midfielders/defenders. 

Curious, isn't it. We have some fine young players, we have put in some scintillating periods of play during matches, we have beaten Man City and Leicester and tried to stick to a brand of football that is a pleasure to watch, so there is not much for Farke to do other than regroup, rally the forces and keep the faith.

We haven't succumbed to playing defensive football - which would have probably ended up with the same result anyway - and personally I admire the attempt to stay up playing football, not Puliisball or  whatever it is people wanted. This season the pressure has got to this group and the stop and the restart behind closed doors has added to the pressure and difficulty for clubs at the bottom, none if whom have been getting any joy. 

Farkeball will re-emerge - probably stronger and better as a result of the experiece this season which has been a huge learning curve for so many players and for Farke himself.

A friend recently said no crowd = better team wins. This is a highly reasonable observation.
We weren’t exactly setting the league alight before the restart, then came the extra injuries.

With hindsight our dreams of a miracle were just that, dreams

Start pressing the ball instead of dropping back.

Stop trying to pick a team to combat the opposition.

Hernandez showed us that you must have width on at least one side of the pitch.

Put Klose alongside Tettey at the back and Godfrey into central midfield. We must start winning the ball in midfield.

Realise it isn't a sin to kick it long now and again to stop the opposition pressing on us all the time.

Realise Webber brought in some duffers and go back to those he knows have played for him.

Krul

Aarons Klose Tettey Lewis

Godfrey Vrancic

Hernandez Buendia Cantwell

Pukki

• Like 2

Just now, lake district canary said:

Curious, isn't it. We have some fine young players, we have put in some scintillating periods of play during matches, we have beaten Man City and Leicester and tried to stick to a brand of football that is a pleasure to watch, so there is not much for Farke to do other than regroup, rally the forces and keep the faith.

We haven't succumbed to playing defensive football - which would have probably ended up with the same result anyway - and personally I admire the attempt to stay up playing football, not Puliisball or  whatever it is people wanted. This season the pressure has got to this group and the stop and the restart behind closed doors has added to the pressure and difficulty for clubs at the bottom, none if whom have been getting any joy. 

Farkeball will re-emerge - probably stronger and better as a result of the experiece this season which has been a huge learning curve for so many players and for Farke himself.

While I agree we have had some excellent periods in a few games this season - I would argue this was predominantly before December. Additionally, I would further disagree and suggest we have resorted to playing defensive football. 

While earlier in the season we had fluidity and an almost gung-ho attitude that won us plaudits in the media and promotion last season... In my opinion, that is no more. 

Players like Leitner, Vrancic, Steipermann and Hernandez played significantly more minutes in the first half of the season. But since the break we have focused much more on defensive players. 

We no longer play with a number 10, instead preferring to play Tettey/Trybull. Furthermore, we no longer have a creative partner to the engine of McClean - instead we now normally partner him with Rupp.

This all leads to an isolated/frustrated front 3 and stifled creativity in the middle. Hence, it really isn't too surprising that we barely every score any more. 

Just now, HertsCanary93 said:

While I agree we have had some excellent periods in a few games this season - I would argue this was predominantly before December. Additionally, I would further disagree and suggest we have resorted to playing defensive football. 

While earlier in the season we had fluidity and an almost gung-ho attitude that won us plaudits in the media and promotion last season... In my opinion, that is no more. 

Players like Leitner, Vrancic, Steipermann and Hernandez played significantly more minutes in the first half of the season. But since the break we have focused much more on defensive players. 

We no longer play with a number 10, instead preferring to play Tettey/Trybull. Furthermore, we no longer have a creative partner to the engine of McClean - instead we now normally partner him with Rupp.

This all leads to an isolated/frustrated front 3 and stifled creativity in the middle. Hence, it really isn't too surprising that we barely every score any more. 

I just fear we might lose some players who got us up to the PL. Are Drmic Duda or Rupp actually any better than those that got us promoted?  Answer is simply NO

Honestly, I wish I knew.

I think I would start telling them to try and accept what is almost inevitable. Let's stop seeing this as six cup finals, and start seeing it as six games to show the world what Norwich City are capable of. Remind them they are the players who absolutely walked the Championship last year, that beat Manchester City and were being talked about as the best young team in Norwich City history and that hasn't changed. 

I would want to see us try and bring in players who have shown they can make a difference. Vrancic would get a start, just because we know he can get a goal from range or from free kicks. Leitner would start, because with his big team experience, I think he may well handle the pressure better than some others. 

I would also give Idah a game. Yes, I know, against United he looked out of his depth. But I just don't see now what there is to lose. 

I would play 3-4-3, and it would probably look a bit like this;

Krul
Klose - Tettey - Godfrey
Lewis - Leitner - Vrancic - Aarons
Buendia-Idah-Cantwell 

With Hernandez primed to come off the bench and add width and pace around the 50th/55th minute. 

I would expect little to change if this were done; frankly a midfield two of Leitner and Vrancic is so lightweight we would probably be even more vulnerable. But we might, at least, see a bit more forward momentum, might knick a goal or two and might just at least leave us feeling like we're not wasting our lives watching what can only be described as utter dross every few days. 

The reality is we have missed a solid central midfield, we must play Hernandez, move Cantwell into the number 10 and Buendia behind Pukki. Vrancic and Tettey are our best two midfielders and firs5 change has to be Idah, he’s so big powerful e jus5 brings a different game, so if Pukki is having a poor game Idah first sub.

This was only ever a season of learning with the acid test being the summer transfers and next season.

We've moved away from what made us good on the ball. We've lost the cohesion and understanding in various areas of the pitch. We've made changes for either no gain or negative gain.

We're now a worse side than we were a year ago. And probably a worse side than the first half season.

Get back to what worked ahead of next season.

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

This was only ever a season of learning with the acid test being the summer transfers and next season.

I guess my worry is that we have lost both our identity on the pitch and the winning mentality we had last year. 

In modern football, I don't think there is such a thing as a free hit. Once you get into the habit of losing, it can be very difficult to turn it back around. 

Momentum can fire you into the top half (a la Sheffield United), but it can also drop you into deep trouble (a la Huddersfield). 

Agreed, we have a huge summer/season ahead of us.

Yep, that was it.

Stay in the PL at all costs

Whereas in the real world the club has the long term strategy of developing  players. Simply on the basis that a club of our size does  not have the resources to compete with the likes of Arsenal...... who I believe have just spent £70m on one player

So a sad truth is the club's coffers do not meet the stupidity of some numpties

Meanwhile said numpties might care to check the CHs' and LI to count the clubs who tried to run up debts that matched their fans idiocy

52 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Are you kidding me? We are playing defensive football, our wide players are always at fullback and Pukki found himself against 4 players numerous times. The football is dross. We have had about 4 shots on target since the restart. Stop the bias and see the real picture!

29 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

In modern football, I don't think there is such a thing as a free hit. Once you get into the habit of losing, it can be very difficult to turn it back around. 

Momentum can fire you into the top half (a la Sheffield United), but it can also drop you into deep trouble (a la Huddersfield).

This, really. We lost our momentum through too many key injuries and once lost, it's hard to get that back. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

This, really. We lost our momentum through too many key injuries and once lost, it's hard to get that back. 

Next season is going to be really interesting in terms of the ability Farke has as a coach. If he can get us going again, if he can cope with the inevitable losses over the close season and get us back, playing the sort of football that won him so many plaudits, his ability as a coach will be unquestionable. 

We can write this season off, time to blood a Idah and those who are available who might retire next season. 
As we know we’ll no doubt lose a few players, also it’s important to o give as much time to those youngsters in the premiership to gain experience of top flight players to give them additional motivation to succeed.

We go again next season.

12 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Are you kidding me? We are playing defensive football, our wide players are always at fullback and Pukki found himself against 4 players numerous times. The football is dross. We have had about 4 shots on target since the restart. Stop the bias and see the real picture!

It's not "defensive football" as such, we are still trying to pass the ball around and do something with it, Farke has simply been trying to find the right balance between attack and defence.    

Edited by lake district canary

When we started the season our passing was crisp quick and we hit teams on the break... The injuries hit us hard and the players bought in during the summer transfer windows were not good enough... 

12 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Yeah too right it's a shame people on this forum are too short sighted to see this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's not "defensive football" as such, we are still trying to pass the ball around and do something with it, Farke has simply been trying to find the right balance between attack and defence.    

We turn attacks into a ball back to our keeper. The games we have been allowed to play with freedom seems to be the fa cup, Burnley especially sticks out

We played so much better in the championship. 

If we had played that way this season i'm sure we would have been capable of a 17-15th position. 

What worries me is we finish this season not winning a single match, possibly losing them all and then fail to hit the ground running at the start of next season. It won't be easy every team will just press and wait for us to make errors.

Some fundamental errors tonight, really basic stuff. We are a shadow of the team from last season even allowing for playing against better teams.

We have to stop playing Cantwell and Buendia in the same team for a start. At the moment Cantwell should get the nod as the creative. Farke has never had the players available to play 3 at the back which we showed tonight could work - I'd still start with it against Brighton so we can get Aarons and Lewis much further up the pitch - they are both better attackers than defenders. I'd have Klose on the left of the 3 with Tettey and Godfrey. We have to find room for Vrancic and Hernandez and I think Rupp is a better DM than Trybull at the moment. I don't think Pukki's head is quite right so I'd give Idah a start.

Krul

Tettey Godfrey Klose

Vrancic Rupp

Aarons Lewis

Cantwell

Hernandez Idah 

Its easy to change this if Brighton set up differently. Just move Tettey forward and move to a 442. Buendia for Cantwell off the bench; Pukki for Idah; Martin for Hernandez.