cambridgeshire canary

Krul- Still our player of the season?

3 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Simple, never try to pass the ball across your own penalty area.

Now we've done it twice

FFS, tippy tappy crap doesn't work

That’s what you said last year as well ?

In my opinion, the only players who can even be considered for player of the season are Krul, Tettey & Cantwell. Nobody else should even be talked about.

However, I don't really think anyone deserves it. Krul has been 'good' but that's not enough for player of the season, Tettey has showed character, commitment and desire but I still don't think he's been good enough and Cantwell has been good enough in flashes but not consistently to warrant player of the season. I'd void it for this season but If I had to choose, probably Tettey due to his attitude.

Can’t believe there is any surprise for Krul being the large favourite for POTS.

Up to last night Krul has been pretty much faultless this season, I have had full confidence in him throughout. He has come on leaps and bounds since his first few months at the club. 

His passion and desire is only rivalled by Tettey and Hernandez imo, but neither have been such regular and consistent performers, he is a leader for our young defenders and it was clear he was sorely missed early on in the season when unavailable. There is a reason why he is still so roundly adored by the Newcastle fans. 

His aerial presence and handling has improved no end since the start of last season, I really do not get nervous when he’s going to claim a cross or facing a long range shot. And when you contrast that to the shots he spilled when he first joined versus West Brom and someone else - it really is a marked improvement and worthy of much praise considering you could easily argue injuries had seen off the best of his career both mentally and physically. 

He is actually essential to the way we play out from the back too, it only takes about 2 minutes of McGovern to realise that actually Krul is pretty damn good with his feet for a team in our position and I hope we can keep hold of him for next season. 

Furthermore, he has re-earned a national reputation for penalty saving after he single handedly pulled us through the Spurs game with two penalty saves in the shootout and not to overlook several strong saves during the 120 minutes before that too. His performance versus United last weekend also was essential to us staying in the game to the very end. 

Off the top of my head, he also saved two penalties against United, one against Arsenal which was retaken through no fault of his own, made an outstanding double save against Liverpool in the 0-1 home defeat and an incredible point blank save from a Giroud (?) header vs Chelsea at home. I know there are plenty of other moments I’m forgetting too. 

Not sure what games you’ve been watching Brandson, what saves you’ve expected him to make, or how you actually even measure a goalkeeper’s performance. But I feel offended on his behalf, he has been the clear stand out and mainstay in our team since the first game of the season and will be the deserved winner of POTS.

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

Ok, whatever, I get it that you love Krul.  I just don’t think he’s been that fantastic, though I suppose there aren’t so many options.  Saving a few penalties doesn’t necessarily make you player of the season, nor does him fitting into his role as that is what he was brought here for. (And the faffing around quite so much at the back is still one area that grates with many).

Incidentally, when the knives were out for Krul last season I wholly disagreed with them, I just disagree now as well.  He’s a decent keeper and has been ok.  But for me, not player of the season.

Edited by Branston Pickle

31 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Ok, whatever, I get it that you love Krul.  I just don’t think he’s been that fantastic, though I suppose there aren’t so many options.  Saving a few penalties doesn’t necessarily make you player of the season, nor does him fitting into his role as that is what he was brought here for. (And the faffing around quite so much at the back is still one area that grates with many).

Incidentally, when the knives were out for Krul last season I wholly disagreed with them, I just disagree now as well.  He’s a decent keeper and has been ok.  But for me, not player of the season.

I thought you were going to tell me I should marry him if I love him so much for a second..

Sorry but penalty saving is probably as heroic as it gets for goalkeeping, I appreciate it isn’t the sole thing to merit him on, and I did highlight everything else, but it’s certainly a cracking bonus attribute for him and I’m sure he’s rightly very proud of the reputation he has earned himself. 

If I were to rate his season out of 10 I’d give him a 7.5-8/10. So not by any stretch an incredible season, but you should take my post in the context of everyone else’s campaign - which has either been consistently to a lesser standard, not so prominent in the team throughout, or simply blowing hot and cold. He really doesn’t have any worthy competitors in my opinion which is why his performances stand out so much.

Had Aaron’s started the season as he has finished then he would also be way up there. 6.5-7/10 

Tettey as I mentioned too but he’s probably not featured enough unfortunately. Again 6.5-7/10

Pukki has been nowhere since his toe injury, Cantwell and Godfrey have also blown hot and cold. Lewis struggled at the start of the season and was rightly dropped for Bryam for much of it - only to come back due to injury. All 6-6.5/10, maybe I could squeeze Godfrey up another notch. Byram actually may have been a good shout had he not been injured. Zimmermann also would be up there had he been able to stay in the team. 

Other than those I don’t think anyone else is even worthy of a mention! 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

Has to be Cantwell. He’s gone from bit part player last season to star performer and second highest scorer this season. One of our most creative players and a Norfolk lad to boot . I hope he gets it in his last season with us. 

Has to be Cantwell. He’s gone from bit part player last season to star performer and second highest scorer this season. One of our most creative players and a Norfolk lad to boot . I hope he gets it in his last season with us. 

Love him to bits and think he has talent alright. But his contributions are a bit in and out. He needs to be in a better team than us, one that will protect him a bit better and I think he will blossom into a top player.

3 minutes ago, damn that Ralph Coates! said:

why not Godfrey for POTS?  For his young age, has had ridiculous level of responsibility with all the others injured.

Nearly scored our goal of the season yesterday

Because, for a defender, he's not been particularly good at defending. I think he will be good enough for this level but I think after only half a season in the championship at central defender, the Premier League was a bit too soon for him and he has been found wanting, numerous times.