I'm sure all 500 of their fans will be upset.

But seriously, upsetting news. Happening to more and more clubs, just goes to show what bad owners and mismanagement can do in a football world so obsessed by money.

13 minutes ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Very sobering. Makes you realise how well run we are by (mostly) operating within our means. Most clubs in the country are in a far more perilous position than us.

You'll probably regret coming on here talking sense about how well run we are.. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

You'll probably regret coming on here talking sense about how well run we are.. 

Yeah, we want the club to be sold to a gazillionaire, who treats us as plaything for a few years, does - or does not - get and keep us in the Premier League (I'm going out on a limb and assuming we get relegated this season!) or any sort of success and then discards us to administration and likely dropping to lower leagues. We don't want any well run, spending within our means, realistic approach here. Nope. We want to spend other peoples money for them and for them to live well beyond their means...

• Haha 1

Dave Whelan came on TalkSport not long ago and was incredibly shocked. Seemed pretty genuinely gutted. Didn't the latest owners only take over at the beginning of June, stating they had the funds to deal through the COVID-19 period?!

1 minute ago, Uncle Fred said:

They clearly need a stinking rich Chinese owner 

Until 2018, Wigan was owned by Dave Whelan, who steered the club from the fourth tier of English football to the Premier League in 2005, while they also won the FA Cup in 2013.

Whelan sold the club to Hong Kong-based International Entertainment Corporation in November 2018 and there was a further change of ownership in June when Next Leader Fund took control.

I thought Hong Kong was in China 😉

Does this mean we can now officially add Wigan to the list of clubs we wanted to be, but don't want to be anymore? 🤔🤣

Apples

• Like 1

So are Wigan an example of rich owners being good or bad?

David Whelan was rich and took them from League 2 to the Premier League.

The new owners, who are also rick (I assume) took them into administration. 

39 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Until 2018, Wigan was owned by Dave Whelan, who steered the club from the fourth tier of English football to the Premier League in 2005, while they also won the FA Cup in 2013.

Whelan sold the club to Hong Kong-based International Entertainment Corporation in November 2018 and there was a further change of ownership in June when Next Leader Fund took control.

I thought Hong Kong was in China 😉

It all gets so confusing.

Wigan are struggling because they sold out to stinking rich foreign owners! They should have stuck with their local owner and fan.

But hang on- Stoke, Huddersfield and Boro are all owned by local owners/fans and and they might also go down into League One!

It is almost as if each owner needs to judged on their own merits rather than where they are from...

They had a good thing with Dave Whelan - I think he ended up becoming a lifelong fan of Wigan - was he previously? If so, I haven't seen anyone on here not want a rich individual who supports Norwich to come in to the club.

Even then, take your pick. Whelan was fined for making racist comments - do fans moral compasses exist when it comes to football owners? I think it does with some which is why Delia and co are so widely accepted and there's not been any big effort to remove them.

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

It is almost as if each owner needs to judged on their own merits rather than where they are from...

Or even how rich they are. 

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Even then, take your pick. Whelan was fined for making racist comments - do fans moral compasses exist when it comes to football owners? I think it does with some which is why Delia and co are so widely accepted and there's not been any big effort to remove them.

I'm not so sure it does. Newcastle fans have no problems with their new prospective Saudi owners, and I doubt fans of other clubs would either.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Or even how rich they are. 

Again, each need to be judged on their merits.

28 minutes ago, king canary said:

So are Wigan an example of rich owners being good or bad?

David Whelan was rich and took them from League 2 to the Premier League.

The new owners, who are also rick (I assume) took them into administration. 

It’s not a case of how rich they are, it’s how ‘ambitious’. And in this case, ambition is a complex formula which basically resolves into how high the club is in the league. So Leicester have (had) ambitious owners, Leeds are starting to demonstrate ambition, but Wigan, Middlesbrough, Sunderland etc for some reason are not ambitious.

15 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

It’s not a case of how rich they are, it’s how ‘ambitious’. And in this case, ambition is a complex formula which basically resolves into how high the club is in the league. So Leicester have (had) ambitious owners, Leeds are starting to demonstrate ambition, but Wigan, Middlesbrough, Sunderland etc for some reason are not ambitious.

There are currently 19 more ambitious clubs than us.

There'll be a few more at the start of next season to begin with thanks to the f*cking alphabet

Truth is that Wigan is fundamentally not a club with a fanbase able to sustain premier league or championship status long term. They are naturally a league 1 or league 2 level club in terms of support. Clubs with bigger fanbases can equally run into problems but financial issues and a small fanbase is a recipe for problems. 

48 minutes ago, king canary said:

Wigan are struggling because they sold out to stinking rich foreign owners! They should have stuck with their local owner and fan.

But hang on- Stoke, Huddersfield and Boro are all owned by local owners/fans and and they might also go down into League One!

How would these merits be determined?

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Leave that to the individual I guess.

For instance even if they go down to League One this season I'd say Stoke have a good owner. Others may just look at the league position and say they aren't.

I mentioned recently that quite a few Liverpool fans aren't all that happy with their owners despite winning the league this season and the Champions League last season. So pure success on the pitch is apparently not enough for some.

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I’m not sure. But I think it would be hard to fault Delia in any of them bar disposable bank balance.

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The quality of the meat pies available on a matchday?

Not to mention the number of scampi on the plate.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 minutes ago, Amah3 said:

I’m not sure. But I think it would be hard to fault Delia in any of them bar disposable bank balance.

That would seem to be the case because Bet 365 FC have a good owner even if they're relegated to league one.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Revolutionary  thinking  there Kaceyo!! Go and sit on the naughty step.  

Sad news I always thought Wigan were a good watch in the way they played. Unfortunately I'm sure they will not be the only ones that go to the wall in the current climate. A perilous position for any company nowadays, well run or not.

Let's hope the level of smugness on here and other threads doesn't bite us on the bum if we have a sustained period in the lower leagues.