Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Talk sport selling our players

9 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Lallana’s replacement.

I guess it depends if they feel they need to replace a player who has barely featured for them in a season when they won almost every game. I get that he is a similar type of player (not as good as Lallana was when he went to Liverpool though) - but Klopp hasn't really used that type of player since last season, so I don't see why they would shell out £30m for one now.

5 minutes ago, Tumbleweed said:

didn't put Godfrey in as despite the rumours  I am not sure that in a leaky central defence prone to set piece concessions that he has impressed enough a for a big offer. Can we even afford tactically to sell him with the CD and CM crisis we have? I thought he was good against Utd but has struggled at other times.

I see your point, Tumbleweed, but I honestly don’t think Utd would be purchasing Godfrey as the finished article. Which he most certainly isn’t. If I’m honest, I think you’re focusing too much on him in the here and now.

He has all the attributes to be a top quality centre back I feel, just as Farke’s said himself. He maybe raw, but I can’t see any weakness to be honest. Good technical skill and tackling, tall, strong, pacey, will throw himself on the line to put a block in, things like positioning etc can improve with time, Utd wouldn’t be worried about that and also they’ll be fully aware of the team he’s currently in versus what he will be playing in.

If Utd think he’s seriously one for the future then they’ll do exactly what we do, albeit at their respective level of spending.

5 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I guess it depends if they feel they need to replace a player who has barely featured for them in a season when they won almost every game. I get that he is a similar type of player (not as good as Lallana was when he went to Liverpool though) - but Klopp hasn't really used that type of player since last season, so I don't see why they would shell out £30m for one now.

Adam’s been injured a lot to be fair, but before the season curtailed he started getting some involvement back upon his return to fitness, and scored the winner against Man Utd in the league. He is going to need replacing.

And it goes without saying that a club like Liverpool always needs top quality talent on the bench. A player that would easily walk into a Burnley or Palace starting 11. That may not be how the Dereham Deco would see his position there, but for now at least, you’d have to guess that would be Klopp’s idea. 

He is a direct younger replacement for Adam.

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Adam’s been injured a lot to be fair, but before the season curtailed he started getting some involvement back upon his return to fitness, and scored the winner against Man Utd in the league. He is going to need replacing.

And it goes without saying that a club like Liverpool always needs top quality talent on the bench. A player that would easily walk into a Burnley or Palace starting 11. That may not be how the Dereham Deco would see his position there, but for now at least, you’d have to guess that would be Klopp’s idea. 

He is a direct younger replacement for Adam.

These players will appeal as they also fill a homegrown quote need. So if Cantwell is a rotational player who makes 15/20 starts for Liverpool he'll be seen as a success.

I don't see Krul leaving. Who is he going to be first choice for and why would he leave to be a back up again? Maybe Watford if they stay up. His best option is to stay, play every week and keep as many clean sheets as possible.

Godfrey isn't ready for the move yet - he makes way too many errors. He also needs at least another season of playing every week.

Cantwell only turns up when we play the big boys or we're on the telly - again, not consistent enough for the big move yet. Needs to run the team like Maddison did and like Buendia did. But his potential is the biggest of all and if we can keep him for another 18 months who knows how much he could go for?

Buendia proved he can do it in a team with confidence - Palace, Burnley, West Ham, Sheff Utd etc or any promoted side should pounce. Hope we get more than the £15m Leeds want to pay though.

Pukki - same as Krul. Doesn't need to leave to get to Euros and plays well in a particular formation, which very few others play.

Lewis - has become a little jaded and probably needs the move more than most, but again, unlikely to be first choice anywhere else. Was well rated, but I suspect less so now as he hasn't stepped up. Again, I think he'll stay.

Aarons - still has the occasional brain-freeze, but comfortably the player who could step up again. Not sure Spurs is an ideal option for him, but I do expect him to leave if we get a £30m offer.

Don't want any loans from anybody. Keep buying everyone else's best youngsters.

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

These players will appeal as they also fill a homegrown quote need. So if Cantwell is a rotational player who makes 15/20 starts for Liverpool he'll be seen as a success.

Yes, agreed, that was another point I was going to make, KC 👍

I’m not sure what the people who think he’s a Championship level player will do if the likely comes off.

Enjoy him whilst he’s here. I bet you he turns up against Arsenal tonight (if he’s fit to play).

9 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I don't see Krul leaving. Who is he going to be first choice for and why would he leave to be a back up again? Maybe Watford if they stay up. His best option is to stay, play every week and keep as many clean sheets as possible.

Godfrey isn't ready for the move yet - he makes way too many errors. He also needs at least another season of playing every week.

Cantwell only turns up when we play the big boys or we're on the telly - again, not consistent enough for the big move yet. Needs to run the team like Maddison did and like Buendia did. But his potential is the biggest of all and if we can keep him for another 18 months who knows how much he could go for?

Buendia proved he can do it in a team with confidence - Palace, Burnley, West Ham, Sheff Utd etc or any promoted side should pounce. Hope we get more than the £15m Leeds want to pay though.

Pukki - same as Krul. Doesn't need to leave to get to Euros and plays well in a particular formation, which very few others play.

Lewis - has become a little jaded and probably needs the move more than most, but again, unlikely to be first choice anywhere else. Was well rated, but I suspect less so now as he hasn't stepped up. Again, I think he'll stay.

Aarons - still has the occasional brain-freeze, but comfortably the player who could step up again. Not sure Spurs is an ideal option for him, but I do expect him to leave if we get a £30m offer.

For starters, Sheffield United will very likely be in the market for a new keeper next season, SGNCFC. I don’t have a clue who’s playing for the top teams in the Championship but there’s another possible 3 options. Burnley may want to replace their back up keeper who’s just leaving, the bloke who does the hair adverts (though you’d have to wonder if that would appeal to Krul). Wolves will be replacing Ruddy. And none of that is taking into account the potential Premier League goalkeeper merry-go-round that could happen in the summer transfer window, it’s constantly revolving.

Sorry to add to my above post, when referring to the top clubs in the Championship, I’m talking about the 3 that come up obviously 👍

3 hours ago, king canary said:

The Rooney deal was basically financed by their sponsor I think- very weird details behind it. 

They always find ways, don’t they? 😂

40 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I was under the impression that after relegation players get an automatic pay cut.

Ergo given the wages we pay are probably not that high players would be mad to stay if they have better offers.

Krul:  Does he still have ambition if so he needs to stay in the premier league if a number one slot comes up.  Off

Cantwell:  Seems to be getting mentions and hype from other players and when on TV delivered the goods.  Off

Buendia:  Lovely player but I dont think will get as much money as we think he will.  I would not buy him if I where a middle lower team in the premier league...has he really been that effective.  Better for a stronger team if they are interested  50/50 

Pukki:  More valuable in championship not enough power and pace for the premier league.  May be tempted to sell if an offer from abroad comes in.  70/30 stay 

Lewis:  Still looks raw but wonderful athlete definitely will be interest  Off

Aarons:  As above but seems to have a higher reputation Off

Godfrey:  Another player with the athletic ability to be top draw yes he makes mistakes but he is also playing the games I would take a punt on him so I think 50/50

It will be a massive achievement to be promoted again next season.

I remember watching the 1-3 loss to Sunderland back in 2017 and thinking how slow and ponderous our play was.  

Arrons and Lewis gave us width and pace where it was lacking before.....they are both going to go most likely.  Two Premier league, fast end to end fullbacks leaving.

I don’t see Krul leaving/being hugely sought after as a first choice keeper elsewhere in the PL. Most sides seem reasonably stocked and I’d have thought he’d want to be first choice.  He’d be more likely to be our first choice and look to return to the PL with us.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Lallana was 4, maybe even 5 years older than Cantwell when he went to Liverpool.

And the previous season at Southampton he'd scored 9 goals and got 5 assists. That isn't a million miles away from Cantwells season this season, which isn't finished yet, despite being younger and in a team bottom of the table.

So from their perspective they'd be replacing with a less-injury prone, younger, home-grown player who's likely to be better than Lallana.

2 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Can 100% guarantee you that Steipermann will never impress consistently in a City shirt again.    He over-achieved last season massively (even then wasn't as exceptional as people seem to be suggesting) and he certainly found this league a step to far.    Confidence is a major factor at this level, something that got him through last season but he knows the Prem is a step too far, his confidence will have taken a massive knock this season and it won't recover to the level we need.    There is no doubt that his touch is poor, (not even Championship level if you actually analyse it closely) even last season, it was frustrating how often he did lose possession easily.  

Add to the fact that if the plan is to develop a team to compete in the Premier League, then we need to develop players that can step up as it is clear our failure this year (apart from the injuries) is that too many did not step up.   For that reason, Trybull and Leitner (and even Vrancic) may also be surplus.   Sad but that's football.

Quite a prediction. I thought Stiepermann was good v Man City and I think we miss what he, Zimmerman and Vrancic bring to the side.Trybull and Leitner were also class last season. 

Their experience could see us through the trauma of losing our best young players. New players needed to come in gradually. 

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

This may not happen, or at least not yet, but according to the Daily Mail the EFL has raised the idea of an £18m salary cap for the Championship (with some allowances for clubs relegated from the EPL) for next season.

Certain clubs - probably not hard to imagine a few - are likely to object, and so is the Players' Union. If it was introduced it might affect our transfer plans in terms of being willing to let go this summer one or two high earners we were otherwise hoping to keep for next season.

In the longer run, though, it is either a sign that the Championship will sooner or later have a salary cap, or that it hives itself off to become a kind of Premier League Two. Nothing like a prediction that keeps its options open...🤓

This is the kind of thing I'd be in favour of, just a pain if it comes in next season when it would hurt us the most!

Don't write Stiepi off just yet. He has found this level maybe a bit too far for consistent form but if you actually look back through the highlights he plays a role in a lot of our best stuff. Think he's the only one at #10 that successfully drops into the right spaces to allow us to play out; the problem is that he's not chalked up any goals or assists in what should be a viral position in that regard.

With our injury problems I'd expect him to return tonight, even if it is at LWB

2 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Don't write Stiepi off just yet. He has found this level maybe a bit too far for consistent form but if you actually look back through the highlights he plays a role in a lot of our best stuff. Think he's the only one at #10 that successfully drops into the right spaces to allow us to play out; the problem is that he's not chalked up any goals or assists in what should be a viral position in that regard.

With our injury problems I'd expect him to return tonight, even if it is at LWB

I seem to remember Stiepi not only playing well against Man City, but was also a real threat on the opening day of the season at Anfield too. It’s pretty unusual for a player to come through the German youth international ranks with club feet too. He is guilty of one thing only - a lack of form/consistency at times. Which is always hard to achieve when not regularly playing.

He’s played well against the best, and that tells me all I need to know about him - he has it in his locker.