Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Talk sport selling our players

6 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I was impressed by him each time I saw him too! I’m hoping that Neil Adams keeps an eye on the clubs players that we are loaning ours too. Each time I looked at Telstar for Gilmore, I noticed Reda Kharchouch was scoring a lot of goals. Hopefully these players aren’t going unnoticed. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I was impressed by him each time I saw him too! I’m hoping that Neil Adams keeps an eye on the clubs players that we are loaning ours too. Each time I looked at Telstar for Gilmore, I noticed Reda Kharchouch was scoring a lot of goals. Hopefully these players aren’t going unnoticed. 

Liam Walsh was excellent too on loan at Coventry but has returned To Bristol City. They play a very similar style to ourselves so Sam and any others should slot in quite quickly. 

I think Aarons and Lewis already have moves lined up. Godfrey and Cantwell I think aren't as far along in their development and it will depend if the flaws in their game knock too much off of the bids that come in for them.

Buendia is the most interesting one for me. Lots of nice play and 'chances created' but little of that translated into actually affecting the outcome of games; surely a bright future but not sure he's shown enough this year to warrant the amount of money we would release him for.

Ultimately, hard as it is to accept, we were never ever planning to play for any length of time at this level with most of these players in the team. It would be wonderful if that was the case, but these gifted young players are just livestock that we trade to fund the building of a better team in the long run.

Godfrey would be top of my list of Norwich players to sign if I was a premier league manager closely followed by Aaron’s and Buendia.

I think it will be a miracle if we keep hold of those 3 this summer. 

I can just see us getting made mugs out of. There will be a ****ty £15m bid for Emi come in, he will then kick up a stink until we finally compromise at £20m. The long contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Aarons is already Spurs bound, Lewis will be off which leaves us Cantwell and Godfrey as the remaining gems. Wouldn't be surprised to see bids come in for them either.

Hope I'm wrong though.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

I'm assuming the Buendia/Leeds thing is coming up as they wanted to sign him before we did. I'd hope he'd stay is they were his only option though, although I wonder how much the pull of working under a legend like Bielsa might help.

This is what gives the Leeds talk some legs, I fear. Buendia is perfect for Bielsa's style and a young Argentinian player would jump at the chance of playing under Bielsa.

Personally can't see that happening if these players go to top clubs.Take Aarons and Spurs for instace- who is there in the Spurs squad who would want to move to Norwich and whose wages we could afford?

It has been said that most of the top clubs would prefer to trade players as makeweights this summer due to the financial uncertainty, and if Spurs were to do that with us, I'd imagine it would be with younger players who haven't quite made the grade. Walker-Peters and Carter-Vickers are both 23 now and have probably missed the boat, maybe even Tanganga at 21, so someone of that profile could be offered. 

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

36 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

The long contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on.

They are if the club can hold their nerve or arent desperate for the money.

Why else give the players long contracts, suspect they all have release clauses of a set value.

Both of my points are big ifs though....

So if we sell the lot for up to £140M, then as a self sustaining and financing club, we have been hugely successful.

Timbo and Aston

Byram and McCallum full backs next season. Klose and Zimbo CBs. Hanley and Famewo

Sitti and Martin in midfield with Onel, Kenny, Mario, Marco and Tom. Alex in his benefit year.

Idah and a couple of others up front. Lad Toney at the Posh.

Cantwell’s an interesting one. A local lad who wants to do well here but definitely wants to play no 10 and be one of the main men. Would he get that elsewhere? Not at this stage of his career.

I suspect we’ll see him down the middle tomorrow as I doubt he’ll be too happy being shunted out wide again. We also looked a much better team with him there and Onel out wide.

I think another season with us with the guarantee of playing the no 10 role, would be good for all parties.

Personally can't see that happening if these players go to top clubs.Take Aarons and Spurs for instace- who is there in the Spurs squad who would want to move to Norwich and whose wages we could afford?

They will have many fringe players or players of similar age that haven't been given a chance or farmed out on loan who won't be on mega bucks and who would probably appreciate the chance to join.

Wasn't for one second suggesting we ask for their stars, just those under contracts that will never make their first 11

Remember all those players that signed new contracts are contracted until Summer 2022 if we fail to get promoted in first season back players will have one year left and any value will have dropped.  Sell any player that we get an acceptable offer for which may only be £10m to hold on to any player who can stay in PL will mean an unhappy player and maybe an unsettled squad not doing their best.  So cash in in the next transfer window and have funds to rebuild with those young hungry relatively cheap players who can be moulded like the current stars were last season.

Another year on but everyone still refers to these players as "young". They're really not anymore. Inexperienced, maybe, but given our league position could it be that these inexperienced players are not really that good? Why would they get games elsewhere - the top 6 have immense academies full of players who are possibly better and the likes of Leicester, Palace etc and the next tier down can't afford them.

Cantwell and Aarons I think are the only two who will attract any attention/bids of anywhere near the sums we would want - assuming their release clauses were set high enough - and I suspect both will go. I also think one or two centre backs will move on and several midfielders.

The squad needs freshening up - we can base it around our core but we have to improve defensively.

6 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Why would they get games elsewhere - the top 6 have immense academies full of players who are possibly better and the likes of Leicester, Palace etc and the next tier down can't afford them.

Take a look at the Liverpool team that just won the title.

VVD and Sadio Mane were signed from midtable Southampton aged 25 and 24 respectively, Andy Robertson from Championship Hull City aged 23, Wijnaldum from Championship Newcastle aged 25.

Sure the academies of big clubs churn out decent players but plenty get signed from smaller clubs.

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

Take a look at the Liverpool team that just won the title.

VVD and Sadio Mane were signed from midtable Southampton aged 25 and 24 respectively, Andy Robertson from Championship Hull City aged 23, Wijnaldum from Championship Newcastle aged 25.

Sure the academies of big clubs churn out decent players but plenty get signed from smaller clubs.

Fair point - but I still don't see any of ours going to top 6 PL teams; none of them are close to the standard of those players you mention.

Buendia to Leeds for £20m is the most realistic "rumour" I've heard so far.

Just now, sgncfc said:

Fair point - but I still don't see any of ours going to top 6 PL teams; none of them are close to the standard of those players you mention.

Buendia to Leeds for £20m is the most realistic "rumour" I've heard so far.

But did people think Andy Robertson was at the standard of a title winning left back when he was at Hull? I don't think so.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

But did people think Andy Robertson was at the standard of a title winning left back when he was at Hull? I don't think so.

Exactly. I remember when Mane signed for Liverpool their fans were concerned how 'inconsistent' he was!

Put Max Aarons in Liverpool's team and I think you see a much better player because his flaws / mistakes aren't highlighted but instead covered by good players around him.

3 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

They will have many fringe players or players of similar age that haven't been given a chance or farmed out on loan who won't be on mega bucks and who would probably appreciate the chance to join.

Wasn't for one second suggesting we ask for their stars, just those under contracts that will never make their first 11

They might not be on mega-bucks, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were on the same as we pay as our best players. Would we inflate the wage bill in order to attract the cast-offs from the “big” clubs? I can’t see it, they would have to come because they think we can restart their careers, as had started to happen for Byram, not for the same wages. 

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Exactly. I remember when Mane signed for Liverpool their fans were concerned how 'inconsistent' he was!

Put Max Aarons in Liverpool's team and I think you see a much better player because his flaws / mistakes aren't highlighted but instead covered by good players around him.

It’s Emi leaving that worries me. Would managers look at him and think his flaws would be mitigated by better players or that they can coach them out? I’m not sure, but then he is only 23.

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yep. Shearer said the VVD signing was far too much money and plenty of their fans thought he was no better than Lovren.

I personally believe Aarons has all the tools to step into a top 6 team seamlessly and he'll thrive in a team that can play on the front foot. 

People seem to be getting in a bit of a tizz about losing players, but none are that good so as to be irreplaceable.  We’ve shipped far too many goals this season and last and imo we need a bit of an overhaul/rethink - if one or two leave and get replaced then so be it.  We’ll get as much as the market will offer for players, amounts that will leave some wailing that we’ve been had, as usual.
One other thing, if we are in the Champs that does open up the sell-and-loan-back option that wasn’t available this season.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I'm reasonably relaxed about this because I think Webber will get good prices for any that we get serious offers for, before he'll let them go - silly offers will just be rebuffed - and our recruitment setup works well at Champs level.  I can see us repeating the Maddison scenario with 3 or 4 of our younger stars and having £100 or so + parachute payments rather than having most of it go straight on stuff like Naismith's wages.  Leaving us setup to bring in a new crop of young and hungry talent and well placed for next season.

Nothing is guaranteed but we're in a good position with them all still on longish contracts.  So assuming we go down, we have a good chance of getting straight back up and hopefully doing better at strengthening the squad next time around.....

Also did someone mention we need a new DM.... ? Groundhog day anyone ?

I think people are forgetting that virtually all our top young players are out wide and it's the "spine" which has let us down this season (and, sods law, where we've had most injuries). Godfrey is the exception but I think we've all seen that whilst he's a top talent, he's learning on the job at centre back therefore is occasionally naive.

I think next season our best players have to be in the thick of it and see most of the ball- if they stay, play Cantwell at no.10 and move Godfrey forward to defensive midfield. Zimm and Hanley are excellent championship centre backs and we'd need to sign back up unless Famewo and Raggett are deemed up to it.

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd give it three months maximum before Roy Keane is ripping his defending to shreds on Sky Sports.

Not if the mighty Roy is managing the even mightier Azerbaijan , as was reported on Irish Radio today.....best place for him I reckon. 

3 hours ago, pete said:

Remember all those players that signed new contracts are contracted until Summer 2022 if we fail to get promoted in first season back players will have one year left and any value will have dropped.  Sell any player that we get an acceptable offer for which may only be £10m to hold on to any player who can stay in PL will mean an unhappy player and maybe an unsettled squad not doing their best.  So cash in in the next transfer window and have funds to rebuild with those young hungry relatively cheap players who can be moulded like the current stars were last season.

Todd's contract expires in 2022, he's the only one of our best young players who isn't on a long term deal.

image.png.6c50c713167a9f194bfe1f7929fd67bb.png

Just about everyone seems to think that we are going to lose our best players this summer. I know it can’t be guaranteed but I do have quite strong belief that the we stand a good chance of keeping most of them, possibly even all. What is our objective going to be next season? - If you ask me, I would say it will almost certainly be to go straight back up. What is required for promotion? - A very strong squad 

Webber has also said we will only sell players if necessary, although I do believe that if we get a big enough offer we might just be too tempted to accept it. However, if any go I don’t think we will let them go cheaply, as we will need a lot of money in order to replace them. The coronavirus lockdown has also had an affect on the financial situation regarding football clubs, and I think that a lot of them will either try to keep who they currently have, or look for free agents 

If we do allow other clubs to hold talks with our players the player themselves also need to think carefully. A lot of our players are quite young and still have a lot more experience to obtain. Some of them, despite being young, are getting regular first team football with us like Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell - exactly what they require. If they did get offered a contract by a bigger club they need think whether it would be a wise idea to accept it. Yes they would almost certainly get higher wages, but would they still get the experience that they are currently getting with us? They could end up wrecking their career if they’re not careful.

As I said, it can’t be guaranteed that we will keep them all but I do believe that we stand quite a good chance of retaining a fair amount of our key players for next season, we’ll just have to wait and see 

Exactly Hazza, our objective has to be promotion next season (if we go down). This means we can’t have a fire sale unless we think those players can be replaced with enough quality to get us back up. 

11 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Emi to Leeds. Hmm, no smoke without fire I guess but a strange one. Spain for me.

Emi is Argentinian as is the Leeds Head Coach.

18 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Emi is Argentinian as is the Leeds Head Coach.

Argentina  is a massive Country  with huge divides, Political, ethnic, Class. Not sure if Bielsa would put up with the wavy arm I've just been tackled flaw in Emi's game. But you are correct about them being the same nationality, they Also both earn a living from football.. there's  another connection. Done Deal .😁😇😉👍