Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Liverpool Fans down here

Glory hunters - they just don't count.    

Recall when we beat Man Utd 2-0 in 2005 or 6.... the pub (in Plymouth) was full of Man U fans, plus my brother and I and we celebrated both goals... at the end, they all drank up and walked out.... not one of them said well played.   Said to brother, the feeling we've got over this win, they never get, even when winning Champions League and EPL..... it's just not in their gut.     They have no affiliation with their club and don't know what its like to go through bad times so can't appreciate the good.    

As an aside, supporting the Canaries must be infectious.... at the Norwich-Villa match last season the guy next to us (a season ticket holder in hospitality) was going berserk at the performance and at 0-3 he got up and walked out.... his wife turned to us, apologised and said, you wouldn't believe he's actually a Notts Forest fan!    

OTBC

• Like 1

... My confession:

I used to say I was a Liverpool fan 🙊 (and my sister was a Spurs fan). 

As a kid I went to Carrow Road quite a few times and even played there. I really enjoyed playing the sport and watching it. But I then got a disease in my knees that stopped my playing and the resentment began. 

I hated football in my teenage years. I was going through a rebellious phase and didn't like anything that was popular. One day a good friend of mine convinced me to watch a game over a few beers and it happened to be the 2005 Champions League final. It was such a brilliant game and I was hooked. I went out that summer a bought a Liverpool shirt (the green and white one). For the next few years I was a Liverpool fan. 

A few years later I moved away from Norfolk and started mixing with 'outsiders'. I realised 2 things: I have no connection with Liverpool, and Liverpool fans are absolute tw4ts. So I disassociated myself from them. I started to follow Norwich again. 

I've always been proud of where I am from and for the last 10 years I have been a Norwich fan. I have been to quite a few games in recent years and, when the time is right, will be getting a season ticket. I've just moved back to Norfolk. I love the club and I don't care if we are in the champs or PL. 

OTBC! 

• Like 2

People can support who they like but generally I've found you get better, more knowledgeable and balanced conversations about the game from those who support smaller teams or local fans of big clubs.

Liverpool fans are particularly an example of this. Most actual scousers I know who support Liverpool are much more knowledgeable than the ones who are from London or similar. I worked in an office in London full of plastic United/Liverpool fans and the amount who thought I couldn't have any idea about football because I supported a 'small, **** team' was amazing. 

Big club fans also seem to lack any self awareness/understanding of the game outside of their bubble. I noticed recently a journalist tweeted about Macclesfield going bust and the responses were 80% Man U fans saying 'we'll be next due to the Glazers mismanagement!' as if them not signing a player for £80m is comparable to an entire club going out of business. 

As Ged says above, most of these fans are numb to success at this point- how much do Man U or Chelsea fans enjoy winning the League Cup for instance? For us, it'd be one of our most treasured memories, for them it'd be underwhelming. I think you can see now on social media that fans of clubs like this almost take more joy in other clubs failing than they do in their own clubs success. 

• Like 3

I just don't like it when a pseudo Liverpool supporter with no pubic hair, falsetto voice and a broad Cornish accent having never left the county, takes the mickey at me for being a Norwich supporter

• Like 2

I would be so bored supporting a constantly successful team, or at least a team with that much expectation. 

Love my club, how its run, and when we achieve its through doing it our way (which I think is the proper albeit old fashioned way). Need the lows to appreciate the highs too, and we have had enough of those! 

I was born in London and as a youngster 'supported' West Ham despite moving to Norwich at less than a month old. However once I was old enough to go to matches my support for Norwich was started and it will be lifelong. 

• Like 1

On 29/06/2020 at 14:53, The Raptor said:

People have all kinds of reasons for supporting teams.

Not football i know but i guess it's like me supporting The Toronto Raptors (nba team) despite only actually seeing them play once and that was a friendly! 

I have no connection to Toronto other than visiting a couple of times. I just got into it while i was there as the games were on in the bars most nights. They weren't even any good for the first ten years! Altho they do have the best mascot ever.  

I find it hard to believe there’s a better mascot than this:

3613D9BE-EA2F-4E5A-B32C-34C4E44CFA2D.jpeg

When my Dad introduced me to football at about the age of 5 or 6 I think I asked him which football team was currently the best. He said back to me that really I should support the team from where I was born, grew up, or where your family comes from. If I was supporting the team from where I was born I think I would probably be supporting either Watford or Luton. However, my Dad is "Norfolk born and bred" and his side of my family tree descends from a family that originated in Norfolk, which is why I support Norwich along with my Dad. I also have some relatives with season tickets.

I've been teased many times in my life for being a Canary, but I'm proud to be a true supporter and not "glory hunter". In my opinion it just makes you a bad loser (Once I shared a flat with a Chelsea fan who only started supporting them when Abramovic took over!). I've got a friends who have supported Leicester and Man City all their life though as I feel they deserve to support them as they've waited for a long time to get this. For all those glory hunters that don't follow their teams properly, don't go to see any games, and aren't proper fans it's a sad craze. I don't go to see many games, maybe 1 per season but I'm constantly checking the Pink'un for news, and often phone my Dad after each fixture

On The Ball City and City Till I Die

I don’t understand supporting a club you have no emotional attachment to such as it being your local club or through family affiliation. As a student in London I went to a lot of chelsea games as the nearest club to my digs however I didn’t care who won just that it was a decent game. Only when City played a London club did I get that frisson for the match because it was my club and the result mattered.

I don’t understand supporting a club you have no emotional attachment to such as it being your local club or through family affiliation. As a student in London I went to a lot of chelsea games as the nearest club to my digs however I didn’t care who won just that it was a decent game. Only when City played a London club did I get that frisson for the match because it was my club and the result mattered.