Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Liverpool Fans down here

Have you noticed how supporting teams Out off area goes with age bands? A few people I know that live nearby support Leeds. They are mostly older than me , so presumably it because of Leeds winning the title in the early 70’s? Then you get Liverpool fans , again roughly the same ages as the scousers won various trophies. Man Utd next as they took over , and I can even think of one young lad who supports Man City . 

Each to his own but I have to say  , what’s the point ? People that support Liverpool that live in East Anglia can’t really support them can they? A bit of early life glory hunting  ? 

I get those that move away , but I’m struggling to see the point otherwise ? 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Thanks 1

To be fair I'm only NCFC due to family links (not that I believe the Liverpool, Leeds etc are in the same boat).

My Dad grew up in Norfolk but moved away at 18 and has never moved back. I've never lived in Norfolk. Having a season ticket is a long held dream for me but never been viable.

I do however follow us all over the country (evidenced by being in the elite 750 🤣 ).

Guess it depends on the individual. I have a mate who lives in South Yorkshire but is Chelsea due to family (moved away from London when he was 2). He's a season ticket holder and even gets down for midweek home games. Think he's the exception rather than the bigger club rule though. I also have a mate who lives in Lincolnshire, claims to be "die hard" Liverpool but has never been to a game of live footy.

People have all sorts of reasons for supporting teams. Just because you haven’t lived in a place doesn’t stop you from supporting the team.

22 minutes ago, kick it off said:

To be fair I'm only NCFC due to family links (not that I believe the Liverpool, Leeds etc are in the same boat).

My Dad grew up in Norfolk but moved away at 18 and has never moved back. I've never lived in Norfolk. Having a season ticket is a long held dream for me but never been viable.

I do however follow us all over the country (evidenced by being in the elite 750 🤣 ).

Guess it depends on the individual. I have a mate who lives in South Yorkshire but is Chelsea due to family (moved away from London when he was 2). He's a season ticket holder and even gets down for midweek home games. Think he's the exception rather than the bigger club rule though. I also have a mate who lives in Lincolnshire, claims to be "die hard" Liverpool but has never been to a game of live footy.

As I say, each to his own. Supporting , and following a team all over the place makes sense. I also get the bit about mums dads , family history , Uncle Frank played for them and all of that. 

It’s the bit about picking a side because they won the league in your formative years and not going to see them that I simply don’t see any point in? You may as well take up fishing or stamp collecting . 

I

• Like 3

I only support Norwich because my cousin moved to Hundon for a while in the early 70s and started supporting them. I’m very lucky as Ipswich is nearer so he could have chosen them instead 😳

• Like 1

I think that people do it just so they can walk into school/work on Monday morning and say that 'we' won at the weekend to make them feel better about themselves. 'We'- the team from a city on the other side of the country that I've visited a couple times and play in a stadium I've never been to.

They just want to tag along with the most powerful, successful group and hope that they'll be seen as part of it, but they never will be. In reality, most people just roll their eyes and think they're a bit of a ****.

In Italy, more than 70% of the country identify as a fan of one of the big three, so not a huge amount follow their local team. In the province of Lecce where I live, there are tons of Juventus fans, despite the fact that Turin is actually closer to London than it is to Lecce. On Friday, I watched the Juventus-Lecce match at the bar and there were some locals who were actually speaking in Leccese dialect and referring to Juventus as 'we'. How can they not see the hypocrisy and ridiculousness in that?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I would say this is the difference between a fan and a supporter. I was born at the old hospital in Norwich, and brought up in the hustle and bustle of North Lopham. So my blood runs yellow and green. But now I live down in Dorset. Where there wasn’t a Bournemouth ‘supporter’ to be seen until a few years ago. It was all Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool etc etc. It has now started reverting back to that as the Cherries stock declines rapidly. Laughable and fraudulent. In order to be a ‘supporter’, you need to put some money back through the gates or the club shop as and when you can I feel. A ‘fan’ I think is what I’d call someone who follows a team but doesn’t actually ‘support’ that chosen club. Sitting in front of a tv and saying ‘I support Liverpool’ is what I constitute as a fan rather than a supporter. But I think we’re all welcome to follow whichever club we choose. I keep an eye on AC Milan and have done since the Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard days, I wouldn’t even say I’m as much as a fan, but for a bit of European interest then it’s fun watching a league that has no conflict with the true club I love.

People have all kinds of reasons for supporting teams.

Not football i know but i guess it's like me supporting The Toronto Raptors (nba team) despite only actually seeing them play once and that was a friendly! 

I have no connection to Toronto other than visiting a couple of times. I just got into it while i was there as the games were on in the bars most nights. They weren't even any good for the first ten years! Altho they do have the best mascot ever.  

I look for their results. Watch the odd game(time difference isn't ideal) and have a bit of merchandise but thats it. Am i actually a fan? Even tho I'll be lucky to get a to a game every ten years? I guess it depends how you judge it. 

And going back to football. I'm the eldest of my cousins and out of the ones who like football they've clearly based their favourite team on who was good at the time they started getting interested in it. A Liverpool fan. The next two Man Utd then an arsenal and chelsea fan. Not any brighton fans despite growing up there! 

1 hour ago, The Raptor said:

And going back to football. I'm the eldest of my cousins and out of the ones who like football they've clearly based their favourite team on who was good at the time they started getting interested in it. A Liverpool fan. The next two Man Utd then an arsenal and chelsea fan. Not any brighton fans despite growing up there! 

We all know lots of people like this . Absolutely their right to do what they like . It all just seems such a terrible waste of time. 

I can’t see passed the Fast Show Arsenal supporter . 

SOCCER! 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

? You may as well take up fishing or stamp collecting . 

Angling or Philately.

I worked with a chef that would tolerate talk about football but was never interested in watching a game or getting involved in the conversation, because it 'wasn't really his thing'.

Up until about a year ago, where suddenly 'looks like Klopp has really sorted us out'.

He's from Beccles.

• Haha 3

There was a bloke who ran the weekly quiz in my local down south-proper Geordie accent, wore a Newcastle shirt and had the club crest tattooed on his chest.

Trouble was, one of my mates knew him from school, he’d lived in Hertfordshire all his life and was as fake as Dale Winton’s tan 🤣🤣🤣

7 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Have you noticed how supporting teams Out off area goes with age bands? A few people I know that live nearby support Leeds. They are mostly older than me , so presumably it because of Leeds winning the title in the early 70’s? Then you get Liverpool fans , again roughly the same ages as the scousers won various trophies. Man Utd next as they took over , and I can even think of one young lad who supports Man City . 

Each to his own but I have to say  , what’s the point ? People that support Liverpool that live in East Anglia can’t really support them can they? A bit of early life glory hunting  ? 

Glory hunters will always exist. The excuses they have gor supporting clubs they’ve never been 100 miles from are hilarious.

5 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think that people do it just so they can walk into school/work on Monday morning and say that 'we' won at the weekend to make them feel better about themselves. 'We'- the team from a city on the other side of the country that I've visited a couple times and play in a stadium I've never been to.

They just want to tag along with the most powerful, successful group and hope that they'll be seen as part of it, but they never will be. In reality, most people just roll their eyes and think they're a bit of a ****.

I agree, it's a form of assurance for some to 'support' a successful team so they do  not have to suffer the embarrassment of losing / relegation.

However life is not quite like that and I find it funny when you meet a mature leeds fan who's never been further than the Wash as they were successful at that time. Even more funny is knowing Norfolk born Spurs 'supporters' who have never been to the ground whilst I have.

My youngest was leaning towards one of the big 4 a few years ago until I explained (in his language) not to be a glory hunter as firstly you will always be disappointed and secondly thought of as a tw4t. Took him to a few city games and he is now city through and through and a season ticket holder.

Not a big 'fan' of the glory hunter. Plenty of them though

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Even more funny is knowing Norfolk born Spurs 'supporters' who have never been to the ground whilst I have.

ER , I have a Norfolk born “massive “ Liverpool fan in my village. All he’s ever done is the Anfield tour once ! 
It would be funny , but he really enjoys Norwich doing badly. What’s that all about ? 
Slagging us off in his Norfolk accent ! Getting annoyed just thinking about the git ! 

• Haha 1

Dont forget the multi team glory hunters. Well I used be an Arsenal fan and then I supported Man U for a bit aswell as Chelsea but now I support Liverpool , Celtic and Barcelona. 

We have our own on here too. Normally most vocal after a loss, calling for investment etc etc.  They'll  claim they just want the best for their Club  , but they just want bragging rights.Same as London Reds,  Leeds fans from Potrer Heigham , fake scousers from Sheffield ( yep, I knew one, in the Army wanted the lads to call him  'Scouse'.....we called him Sheff) Reflected glory is  a strange God.

6 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

In the province of Lecce where I live, there are tons of Juventus fans, despite the fact that Turin is actually closer to London than it is to Lecce.

Nice stat! Hadn’t realised Italy was quite that long.

The remark I always make when speaking to anyone in a football shirt which is not Norwich is,

'ran out of Norwich shirts did they?'

You should try it next time, it will make you smile. 

And Pockthorpe. The next time that Norfolk scally decides to educate you on football matters just remark how 'feint' his scouse accent is now and what a shame he's lost it.

If he's that much of a tw4t you can guarantee he will go all Shcteeve McClaren with it. You could back him right into a corner

I recall a phone call on one of Danny Baker's many different radio shows about 25 years ago when some cocky little lad of about 12 years old rang in and started banging on about how great Liverpool were and how "we" were going to destroy every other side that season. Baker let him run on and then asked him where he came from..."Bournemouth" said the kid..."I reckon you can see Anfield's 's floodlights from your bedroom window, can't you?" and cut him off....!

• Like 1

Tends to follow whoever is doing the best at the time, doesn't it? 

I find Great Yarmouth is a good indicator. Walk around the town centre (or what's left of it) and you used to see Man Utd shirt after Man Utd shirt. Then it became Chelsea. Now it's Liverpool. 

I tend to find the two most supported sides in Norfolk are Norwich (obviously) and Tottenham. I was never quite sure why that was, though. 

Alright then, I'll bite and no doubt get called a plastic, but, growing up I went to see my local team but identified as a Liverpool supporter (it was the 80s), then had a similar epiphany about why I was supporting them when I went to secondary school which coincided with the start of the PL and decided I should support someone properly so started supporting Norwich and have done ever since.

Thing is my local team was Carlisle utd and I have no connection to Norwich, I just thought they played nice football, seemed like a decent club and no one else would be supporting them. I've stuck by them through thick and thin and am now bringing my kids up to be Norwich fans. Although haven't made it to a game for 8 years I do still buy the occasional bit of merch (two ncfc gnomes in the garden for example). I would class myself as a proper supporter (though obviously not an elite supporter like waveny) and wear my colours with pride but I would fit into the OP's criteria for "can't be a proper supporter".

Edited by cornish sam
  • Like 1

What did poor old Carlisle do wrong though,Sam? I've always sort of assumed that once you go to a proper match

as a kid they've got you for life, really...

Edited by John Ryans Express
missed the word "for"

8 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Alright then, I'll bite and no doubt get called a plastic, but, growing up I went to see my local team but identified as a Liverpool supporter (it was the 80s), then had a similar epiphany about why I was supporting them when I went to secondary school which coincided with the start of the PL and decided I should support someone properly so started supporting Norwich and have done ever since.

Thing is my local team was Carlisle utd and I have no connection to Norwich, I just thought they played nice football, seemed like a decent club and no one else would be supporting them. I've stuck by them through thick and thin and am now bringing my kids up to be Norwich fans. Although haven't made it to a game for 8 years I do still buy the occasional bit of merch (two ncfc gnomes in the garden for example). I would class myself as a proper supporter (though obviously not an elite supporter like waveny) and wear my colours with pride but I would fit into the OP's criteria for "can't be a proper supporter".

Interesting story Sam. But supporting Norwich doesn't quite fit the definition of a glory hunter. I wish it did though.

Love talking to a real glory hunter and doing a type of Danny Baker remark in response. 

It’s the ones who sneer and laugh after hearing you support a non-elite side:. “Oh dear, sorry for you”.

An attitude immediately  punctured with the revelation that actually it’s great and I love supporting them all over the country win or lose, and by the way, how often do you get to Stamford Bridge/Old Trafford/etc.?

But still extremely aggravating this theory there’s no point in clubs having support , unless they are PL/CL, have >(X-1) trophies, and >(Y-1) stadium size. Where X and Y are of course their own team’s stats.

• Like 1

^ Yet another reason why, for me, it would be great for the plastic clubs to duck off to a closed plastic Euro (world/galaxy) super-league with their plastic so-called  fans.

It would be the ultimate and logical embodiment of how far removed they all are from what I'd consider real football . In their mind the gap is all about football quality, while in everyone else’s minds it’s also about attitude and purpose.

Agree with the OP, and I'm someone who would have a genuine reason for supporting Liverpool having been born there, but I moved here in 88, and went to Carrow Rd with friends regularly so just became natural to be a Norwich supporter as that's what I was doing, I think I went to see Liverpool about 5 times as a young kid. 

On 29/06/2020 at 10:47, Graham Paddons Beard said:

But does football fandom or support make any rational sense anyway? Footballers are mercenaries these days, at the upper levels separated from the support by unimaginable wealth, with little affinity with the clubs they play for. Football is largely (or entirely at the moment) consumed via TV. Is selecting a team because they are successful when you are a kid any less valid than an accident of birth or your family moving here?

I write that as someone who saw his first game in 1974, loved the magic (although it is somewhat sanitised these days) and still feels each defeat and relegation.

It makes no sense