Sign in to follow this  
king canary

David Bowie

5 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Chris Frantz has a book out

Looks like the Talking Heads reunion is scheduled for sometime after the sun goes red giant 

The 'Stop Making Sense' documentary/concert is excellent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jools said:

The 'Stop Making Sense' documentary/concert is excellent.

It doesn't make sense to claim that an international superstar visited you at your flat when he didn't.

10 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Lost count of the times I've watched that

I've lost count of the number of times I've laughed at Jools claim that David Bowie visited him in his flat.

I'm not a big Bowie fan, some of his stuff is OK though.

Just here to provide a different spin on some of his songs - These are by a guy called Seu Jorge, sung entirely in Portugese and formed the majority of the soundtrack for the movie "The life aquatic" (not the best movie in the world)

Edited by kick it off

On 23/07/2020 at 08:41, kick it off said:

I'm not a big Bowie fan, some of his stuff is OK though.

Some of his stuff is okay 🤪

Do you despise my politics that much that you can't bring yourself to admit that Bowie was a genius?

Bowie numbers that are apt for Pink'Un posters --- I'll start with KiO:

Did Bowie do a version of 'The Great Pretender' for Jools.

Or maybe a cover of the **** Pistols 'Liar'.

Could Jools be a 'Chubby little loser'?

check Jools claim on the Peter Green thread

he saw Fleetwood Mac at Dartford (though they never played there when Green was in the band)

and he watched John Mayall in 1967/8

ps I wonder if Jools knows the A11 has been dualled ?

Annie Lennox at the Brit Awards in 2016...her eulogy  for Bowie sums it up nicely. Like him, dislike him or somewhere in between...but in the music industry his legacy and works is top of the pile..nearly all major recording artists of the past few decades were influenced by him. Not only the music world,  he was a pioneer of fashion, many fashion trends of the last 20 to 40 years can be traced back to Bowie. A pioneer in the world of internet to.

I got to speak with him for less than 1 minute back in '73..a minute ive treasured all my life.

4 hours ago, Essjayess said:

Annie Lennox at the Brit Awards in 2016...her eulogy  for Bowie sums it up nicely. Like him, dislike him or somewhere in between...but in the music industry his legacy and works is top of the pile..nearly all major recording artists of the past few decades were influenced by him. Not only the music world,  he was a pioneer of fashion, many fashion trends of the last 20 to 40 years can be traced back to Bowie. A pioneer in the world of internet to.

I got to speak with him for less than 1 minute back in '73..a minute ive treasured all my life.

I agree with a lot of that but you have forgot his was the Prince of Pretentiousness.

And that trait, which he admitted, makes you wonder whether he sometimes put ideas out there just to see if they got recognition.

For example, he said the last time he sang with his real voice was Wild is the Wind. Not sure whether he meant that or just got people thinking about his songs.

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I agree with a lot of that but you have forgot his was the Prince of Pretentiousness.

And that trait, which he admitted, makes you wonder whether he sometimes put ideas out there just to see if they got recognition.

For example, he said the last time he sang with his real voice was Wild is the Wind. Not sure whether he meant that or just got people thinking about his songs.

Some in the music world have (had) an ability to keep reporters hanging on their every word 

Oooh, Don's gonna levitate

Mark E Smith kills squirrels

Nobody stopped to think how a man with form for hyperbole, and not in the best of health managed to kill squirrels. He  even had PETA and the RSPCA on his case. 🤣

2 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Apparently he was in the crowd to watch Dundee Utd vs. St Johnstone at the weekend.

Apples

Obviously not the Hearts Filthy Lesson

19 hours ago, Herman said:

Jools or Bowie? 

I think they were both there...one was a one-dimensional cardboard cut-out from the 70's and the other one was David Bowie. 🤣

Apples

• Haha 1

Continuing with Bowie numbers that are apt for Pink'Un posters -- no 2 --- For Herminge down at his allotment:

🙃

21 hours ago, SHRIMPER said:

I bet LIAR jools did the countdown and pressed the launch button.

Don't forget it was also Bowie's dying wish that Jonah Joolsiani should design the coin for his memorial. Honest! Apparently he whispered something in his last breath about how there was no-one he knew who was more attuned to his drug-taking, gender-bending, open-minded, love oriented approach to the world.

Edited by horsefly
  • Haha 1

On 29/07/2020 at 17:38, Essjayess said:

That's a  minute more than Jools anyway Essjayesso.

On 01/07/2020 at 13:00, Rock The Boat said:

On the topic of David Bowie, I see the cancel culture mob now has Bowie in their sights over his song China Girl. Where will it end?

Really? it's a song about the devastation  of heroin abuse isnt it? Why would anyone have a problem with that?

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Really? it's a song about the devastation  of heroin abuse isnt it? Why would anyone have a problem with that?

They do not wish to cancel Bowie because China Girl is about the devastation of heroin abuse. If you want to know why they wish to cancel Bowie, the clue is in the title of the song.