Sign in to follow this  
king canary

David Bowie

Did anyone watch his 2000 Glasto set on BBC2 last night? 

Fantastic stuff. Gutted I'll never get to see him play live.

• Like 2

Before we all got told to stay at home I had a list of musicians that I need to see before they give up, I’ve got tickets for Elton John in November which hopefully I’ll still be able to go to.

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Before we all got told to stay at home I had a list of musicians that I need to see before they give up, I’ve got tickets for Elton John in November which hopefully I’ll still be able to go to.

Bruce Springsteen is top of that list for me, followed by the Cure.

Good wasn't it. Great band behind him. 

The only band I would love to see once is Talking Heads. But that ain't going to happen any time soon. 

Stevie Wonder and Robert Plant, agree on Talking Heads too but yeah, I think we’ll be waiting a long while 😁

My wife loves Bowie and enjoyed the set last night-she wasn’t too keen on his occasional fake cockney accent though 🤪

Saw him during the Serious Moonlight tour in 84 at AthleticPark in Wellington New Zealand.

I don't think he was really fond of Lets Dance and China Girl and played virtually all back caralogue stuff.

2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

My wife loves Bowie and enjoyed the set last night-she wasn’t too keen on his occasional fake cockney accent though 🤪

Now now.....he was born in Brixton , South London.

26 minutes ago, MooreMarriot said:

Now now.....he was born in Brixton , South London.

My wife said he sounded like that American actor whose name you can’t use on this forum because of the swear filter-you know, the one in Mary Poppins.

He definitely sounded different to his interviews.

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

My wife said he sounded like that American actor whose name you can’t use on this forum because of the swear filter-you know, the one in Mary Poppins.

He definitely sounded different to his interviews.

****ety Mc****stick?

• Haha 1

In my mind, Bowie is one of the very few who can rightly be called a legend. Probably the biggest musical talent ever from the UK - and also a decent guy.

4 hours ago, Mark .Y. said:

In my mind, Bowie is one of the very few who can rightly be called a legend. Probably the biggest musical talent ever from the UK - and also a decent guy.

Can't disagree with much of that. He was mostly consistent through his long career, never played it safe and took a fair few risky moves of direction but the majority hit the target. And yes always came across as a good bloke.

• Like 1

Can't disagree with much of that. He was mostly consistent through his long career, never played it safe and took a fair few risky moves of direction but the majority hit the target. And yes always came across as a good bloke.

Probably because he never took it seriously. He was the King of pretentious and knew he was loved for that. He could write great songs on a whim and didn't have to try. Having said that, I think every album he did had at least one sihte song on it.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Probably because he never took it seriously. He was the King of pretentious and knew he was loved for that. He could write great songs on a whim and didn't have to try. Having said that, I think every album he did had at least one sihte song on it.

Agree, his output could be variable (never got on with the Tin Machine era). Yet, he is arguably one of the greatest songwriters and musicians of this country. I cannot think of many others. 

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Even the Beatles had some duffers and the Stones have been stinking the place out since the 80s. 

Don't forget Labyrinth. Great film. Couple of often overlooked gems on the soundtrack too. Not forgetting Dance Magic Dance! 

20 hours ago, Mark .Y. said:

No.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Even the Beatles had some duffers and the Stones have been stinking the place out since the 80s. 

No.

32 minutes ago, Herman said:

Octopuses Garden!! 

Oh come ON!!!!! If we are including Ringo's obligatory track...😁

Actually I quite like Obla Di etc but there are some duffers on 'The White Album', such as Yer Blues and the Road song...

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Actually I quite like Obla Di etc but there are some duffers on 'The White Album', such as Yer Blues and the Road song...

Due to having to put up with my dad's iffy taste in music I thought Obla Di was a James Last song. Much later I found out the terrible truth. 

4 hours ago, Herman said:

the Stones have been stinking the place out since the 80s. 

I quite like their current single

• Like 1

Octopus garden is a classic as far as I'm concerned. Poor old Ringo gets alot of undeserved stick.

Id far rather listen to that than the earlier stuff. love me do, please please me, i feel fine. Stuff like that i just find dull. I guess you had to be there. 

Yes. That new rolling stones song is great. Probably because they've made no attempt to change their sound and it just sounds old! 

• Like 1

Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.  Ryuchi Sakamoto. David Sylvian.

But the Man Who Fell To Earth was awful and The Hunger wasn't much better. And Absolute Beginners was a waste of 35mm film.

Heroes has to be his best track.

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I think Obla Di was meant to be a singalong change the words to rude ones. Funnily enough the public liked it the way it was and sent Marmalade's version to Number 1.

• Haha 1