Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Relegation mini league

Looking at this mini league realistcally, and taking into account how bad every one of these clubs has been playing, for us to survive is not by any means impossible.

Let's forget about who has to play who and where.

We don't need to win this league or come second.

We only have to come third.

We are 6 points adrift with 21 points to play for with a game in hand on 2 clubs above us

It is time to grasp the nettle, step up to the plate and just do it.

We might laugh at LDC but he is right, it is doable you know

Untitled.png

Edited by Making Plans
  • Like 2

Regardless of us, the four teams above us are in a heck of a scrap and the tenion and pressure will only mount for all of them and it looks as if it will go to the wire for  them.  If we can find a spark that sets us going - and we only have to get one win to feel like we are back amongst them - psychologically we we will not feel the pressure as much - we will be the proverbial team with nothing to lose and just going for it, which can only be a good thing.  But we do have to get that spark!  Oh for a win at Arsenal..........

Totally agree. And we still have to play Watford and Wet Spam.

I'm sure most people (certainly outside Norwich) think we are already gone, but actually we have a doable run-in.

And if (IF IF IF) we can sustain the level of performance as seen vs Manure plus increase our attaching intent, then why not!

Always enjoy a good mini league. Firm believer that until it’s mathematically impossible .......and all that.

I’m with you on all of this .👍

This has been a bloody crazy season and there could well be plenty of craziness yet to come. I can’t give up until it’s impossible, although I sometimes wish I could ! 
But even then , I really really don’t want to finish bottom . To finish above Villa or West Ham would give me some joy . 

22 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Looking at this mini league realistcally, and taking into account how bad every one of these clubs has been playing, for us to survive is not by any means impossible.

Let's forget about who has to play who and where.

We don't need to win this league or come second.

We only have to come third.

We are 6 points adrift with 21 points to play for with a game in hand on 2 clubs above us

It is time to grasp the nettle, step up to the plate and just do it.

We might laugh at LDC but he is right, it is doable you know

Untitled.png

Problem is, people can’t handle being wrong. That’s nothing exclusive to city supporters, I’m talking in general. So rather than go ‘we can do this’, they won’t because message boards are for posterity and people worry too much about their reputation or being ridiculed. 

The thing is, I find it staggering because this isn’t exactly a million to one shot is it? So why people have given up so quickly (and you’ll see this on Villa, Bournemouth, Watford and West Ham message boards too) amazes me. If we were chasing points from teams above in the form of Liverpool, Man City, etc then that would be one thing. But we’re not - and we have some of these teams to play whilst the others have even worse run ins. And that means that we have no less a chance of gaining points or having a little run than anyone else. 

As for Brighton though, for them to go down would mean us overtaking them. Now I think with them 4 wins better off than us with 7 games remaining, I think bringing them into the mini league is perhaps a step too far. It’s Watford downwards. 

Sorry, what I meant was, Brighton can of course go down, but I can’t see that happening in our place with them already 4 wins to the good. It’s Watford downwards for us I think

Whilst of course everything said so far is correct, our awful form against teams around us concerns me more than things like Arsenal away. 

Play West Ham and Watford, cant afford to drop points to them. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Sorry but you all must be high on something or just deluded. 

Deluded? How? Are all the above posters saying we’re guaranteed staying up?

They’re not.

But what is factually true is that it’s still quite open at the bottom with us also having a game in hand on a couple of others that could then bring it within 3 points.

So what’s deluded about fact?

11 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Deluded? How? Are all the above posters saying we’re guaranteed staying up?

They’re not.

But what is factually true is that it’s still quite open at the bottom with us also having a game in hand on a couple of others that could then bring it within 3 points.

So what’s deluded about fact?

Ok I must have got it wrong, it just read that some are hinting we may somehow get out of this pickle? We won’t and anyone teasing themselves needs to accept it by now. 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Ok I must have got it wrong, it just read that some are hinting we may somehow get out of this pickle? We won’t and anyone teasing themselves needs to accept it by now. 

You haven’t read it wrong, the possibility exists, which is a fact, but at least should we be relegated, then those holding out hope will be left feeling disappointed for a considerably shorter span of time than those that had accepted the ‘inevitable’ last August. 

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

You haven’t read it wrong, the possibility exists, which is a fact, but at least should we be relegated, then those holding out hope will be left feeling disappointed for a considerably shorter span of time than those that had accepted the ‘inevitable’ last August. 

Poor Midlanda doesn't understand  the meaning of the words possible and defeatist . Or if he does in the technical sense , he certainly  doesnt in this  case.

12 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Poor Midlanda doesn't understand  the meaning of the words possible and defeatist . Or if he does in the technical sense , he certainly  doesnt in this  case.

Bless you for clearing that up. Very much appreciated and hope to have more thoughtful insight from your good self soon. 

12 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

.........I really really don’t want to finish bottom . To finish above Villa or West Ham would give me some joy . 

It would give the bean counters at Carrow Rd some joy too.

Another couple of million or so in the bank would be handy.....

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

It would give the bean counters at Carrow Rd some joy too.

Another couple of million or so in the bank would be handy.....

Not to be sniffed at. Even one place is significant. 

Without the slippery helping hand of VAR, it isn't hard to imagine we'd be right in the fight by this point which is a shame.

That being said, if we'd scored any goals or performed like a Premier League team in the last two games we probably would be too. Literally speaking it isn't over and essentially beating West Ham and Watford should draw us level with the pack; my personal outlook is that we just don't quite look like we have enough, though. As this mini-league shows, we've been given a fair few chances (even since the restart) to take charge of the situation and we've fumbled each one, which makes me feel like it isn't possible; on the other hand, theoretically (and in a very, very unlikely scenario) we could beat Watford, Brighton and West Ham and stay up on 30 points.

It's the hope that kills you 

Agree don't think 30 will be enough. 

33 points might be enough, 3 wins 3 draws, or 4 wins.....

but we're likely gonna need at least 35 points (4 wins and 2 draws) or ideally 5 wins to get 36. 

Every time this season we’ve had an opportunity to step up to the plate and seize the initiative we’ve not turned up. We’re where we are in the league precisely because we can’t deliver when it counts, this end of season period now will be just the same.

I’m prepared to put money where mouth is as well, if by some miracle we stay up, I’ll chuck £50 in the PUPS.

I don't think it's "defeatist" to suggest that we have no hope of survival; it's just recognising reality. We have got 4 points from our last 8 games in the league, scoring 2 goals. Of our last 7 games three are against Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City. We have one fit centre back available for our next game. We have won 5 games out of 31, yet somehow we might win 3 or 4 out of 7?

Come now, let's not insult people for assuming it's over. 

Anything is possible of course but I can't thinking that we've fatally shot ourselves in the foot with 2 home defeats when we should have come out all guns blazing from the restart.

Having said that ........Southampton's results have been amazing which proves that they were far tougher opponents than some of us gave them credit for ......

51 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I don't think it's "defeatist" to suggest that we have no hope of survival; it's just recognising reality. We have got 4 points from our last 8 games in the league, scoring 2 goals. Of our last 7 games three are against Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City. We have one fit centre back available for our next game. We have won 5 games out of 31, yet somehow we might win 3 or 4 out of 7?

Come now, let's not insult people for assuming it's over. 

Here’s some reality, so far we’ve played both Man City and Arsenal and taken 4 points from them. Chelsea game was close too for the record. I might point out that against Man City we only had one centre back available too - Ben Godfrey.

But how are the other teams around us doing? Who have they got to play in their run in? What makes us so much worse than them, and everything glittering hugely in their favour now? I just don’t think that’s the case.

It doesn’t really matter what’s happened results wise in times gone by for any of the clubs in this battle anyway, it’s a lame argument. You do realise that by the very nature of football, results and form go up and down for every club at any given time? No one can predict that, not you, not me. It’s like saying there’s no way we could win the Championship because the crap results at the start of the season dictated that’s how we’d definitely continue. Form can evolve either way, and you don’t know when it will happen. You can’t say it won’t turn just because of past results, because at some point it ALWAYS does. And for the team where it changes in the coming 7 games, they will stay up.

Now, I’m not saying it will be us that sees our form changing, but for someone it will. And it could be us as much as any of them. And that’s why at this moment in time we still have a chance, even if it’s a lesser chance than the likes of Bournemouth etc as things stand.

Let's be honest, we have 5 teams there that are all playing rubbish.

All pretty much devoid of ideas, confidence and goals so I can't see that all 5 are going to suddenly improve.

However, It could be that just one team will go on a little run, improve their league position and secure their PL status.

No reason why that team shouldn't be us especially after a big improvement against Man U at the weekend where it appeared that our fitness and confidence was returning.

If we can maintain & build on that we could still cause a major surprise.

I know that it is unlikely, or even highly unlikely, but it is not impossible and stranger things have happened in football before.

Edited by Making Plans

1 minute ago, Making Plans said:

Let's be honest, we have 5 teams there that are all playing rubbish.

All pretty much devoid of ideas, confidence and goals so I can't see that all 5 are going to suddenly improve.

However, It could that just one team will go on a little run, improve their league position and secure their PL status.

No reason why that team shouldn't be us especially after a big improvement against Man U at the weekend where it appeared that our fitness and confidence was returning.

If we can maintain & build on that we could still cause a major surprise.

I know that it is unlikely, or even highly unlikely, but it is not impossible and stranger things have happened in football before.

Exactly this, MP.

Gobsmacked there’s people that actually think every single team will now plateau their results for entirety, and all future results can only be taken from what’s happened in the past. How are Sheffield Utd doing these days? - on a completely unrelated note of course.

Anything could still happen and in my head, until we’re mathematically down there’s still hope.

One of the bottom five is going to win sooner or later and ideally we need it to be us getting that first win in the bag. 

Any more points from safety and any less games remaining and in reality it will be over.  Although I won’t accept it! 

If we can just sneak that win though, it’ll have a massive positive impact on us physcologically and massively ramp up the pressure on the others. A bit of momentum going into matches against Watford and West Ham and it could get interesting....

Saturdays game has given us all new hope.

All we can do is pick up as many points as possible, even then it is still out of our hands

But putting the latter aside I would suggest most of us now believe that we are capable of having a good crack at picking up those points.

People joke that it is the hope that kills you. It is not. It is going to Arsenal after So'ton and Everton with as much expectation of survival as a meat pie in the hands of Alan Brazil.

But Saturday has put that hope, if not belief, back.

Great days to be a City fan, so up and 'at 'em lads !

On 28/06/2020 at 21:06, Alex Moss said:

Problem is, people can’t handle being wrong. That’s nothing exclusive to city supporters, I’m talking in general. So rather than go ‘we can do this’, they won’t because message boards are for posterity and people worry too much about their reputation or being ridiculed. 

Hello Alex,

While I'm sure your statement above might be correct for a few posters, it's a bit of stretch to infer that all or most who don't agree with your opinion that City have a decent chance of staying up are doing so because of some 'fear' of being seen to be wrong.

Speaking only for myself, I think we are gone, and I couldn't give a flying f*ck as to what anyone else thinks about me as a result, whether I turn out to be right or wrong. I respect the differing opinions of City fans on the forum but that's about as far as it goes. It's important we don't forget this is just a forum to chat, have banter with fellow fans, share opinions and thoughts - it's not a willy waving contest.

I hope, of course, to be proven 100% wrong and that we achieve a once in a lifetime comeback. Mathematically, of course, we still can. But sadly, in my opinion, we won't.

OTBC