Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Seven cup finals

Yes, it's me again and the season is still on - seven cup finals is what we have and we have the capability of winning or drawing all these games.  The prize is another season in the PL which however you look at it would be a huge achievement.  We are not and never have been a basket case this season and maybe yesterday will have been a boost just when we needed it, a good performance and more importantly a goal which we had not managed since the restart.

It's on, we go for it, no cup distraction, Pukki to find some form, Idah to make a difference, Vrancic to make his mark, Godfrey to be the man mountain at the back, Cantwell to carry on his development, Emi to find top form, the full backs at their best, Tettey to play his part at CB if needed......and the rest all contributing at their best......whoever plays, this season is not over and there is potential for a huge change at the bottom of the league if we start firing on all cylinders.

Seven games. 

Seven cup finals. 

Are you up for it?

Come on Lakey, the last one of these you posted was 13 hours ago. Dial it back a bit.

Your taking the pi$$ now. After Wednesday it will be 6 cup finals and probably a bigger gap. See you next season in the Fizzy pop league. 

• Haha 1

It’s certainly there for the taking if we want it. Granted all the other teams can say the same, but we look more likely to spring a surprise than Villa or Bournemouth right now. From what I’ve seen, I think it’ll be either us or West Ham that are the most likely 2 teams of the 4 to claw some results. Let’s hope it’s us.

9 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Come on Lakey, the last one of these you posted was 13 hours ago. Dial it back a bit.

Ok, last one for today, but I think the cup has affected the thinking up to yesterday, certainly team selection against Everton - but the three games we have had since the restart and the improvement shown over the three games, should give us the belief that we can take that improvement into the next few games - and without the distraction of the cup.  Villa/Bnmth/West Ham all struggling and the pressure will get worse for them as the season goes on - good result on Wednesday and anything can happen. It's the first of the seven, treat it like a cup match and on to the next round.....  

Just now, lake district canary said:

Ok, last one for today, but I think the cup has affected the thinking up to yesterday, certainly team selection against Everton - but the three games we have had since the restart and the improvement shown over the three games, should give us the belief that we can take that improvement into the next few games - and without the distraction of the cup.  Villa/Bnmth/West Ham all struggling and the pressure will get worse for them as the season goes on - good result on Wednesday and anything can happen. It's the first of the seven, treat it like a cup match and on to the next round.....  

If we win at Arsenal with one available centre back, it'll be nothing short of miraculous. And if we do, that would then give us a bit of impetus if other results go our way. Anything other than a miracle victory, though, and surely even you must admit it's over and we should start concentrating on next season?

What makes you think we can win seven cup finals when we can't win a Q-final against the worst Man Utd side to come her in 30 years, despite apparently playing well?

You're a troll, have a day off.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

If we win at Arsenal with one available centre back, it'll be nothing short of miraculous. And if we do, that would then give us a bit of impetus if other results go our way. Anything other than a miracle victory, though, and surely even you must admit it's over and we should start concentrating on next season?

If they playing David Luiz then I guess we're both playing with one centre back.

Time to start planning for next year.

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

If they playing David Luiz then I guess we're both playing with one centre back.

Time to start planning for next year.

We can definitely get at them, they're fragile at the back. I'd almost be tempted to start Stiepi behind Pukki just to be a big unpredictable nuisance. And if we defend like we did yesterday, we've got a chance.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

What makes you think we can win seven cup finals when we can't win a Q-final against the worst Man Utd side to come her in 30 years, despite apparently playing well?

You're a troll, have a day off.

Ha ha definitely NOT the worst Utd side in 30 years, Chris - they’re a big improvement on the Moyes era and this arguably the best they’ve been since Sir Alex left.

Edited by Alex Moss

12 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Ha ha definitely NOT the worst Utd side in 30 years, they’re a big improvement on the Moyes era and this arguably the best they’ve been since Sir Alex left.

So take a day off yourself rather than try and stick one on someone who clearly loves his club 👍

Hahaha, you are aware that the Moyes side that beat us a CR won the Premier League the season before?

Like literally exactly the same team.

Van Gaal came 4th, Jose came 2nd and yet this 'best team since Fergie' is struggling to compete with Wolves, Leciester and Sheff Utd.

Have a week off.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yes, we need to win against Arsenal, that's really why I described it as a cup final or at least like a cup match you have to win to progress to the next round.  

Also, Tettey has proved he can play centre back and we beat Man City with a makeshift defence with Amadou.

Just now, lake district canary said:

Yes, we need to win against Arsenal, that's really why I described it as a cup final or at least like a cup match you have to win to progress to the next round.  

Also, Tettey has proved he can play centre back and we beat Man City with a makeshift defence with Amadou.

Coolio. I'm with you. Let's do this!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I see CDMullins is not at his best this morning. Got a hangover maybe?

He’s actually a good bloke, we all have ****ty days on the net ha ha

Sheffield away, Southampton and Everton at home were all defeats when the same nonsense was spouted. Now we’re going to start again and beat Arsenal away, fair enough. 

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I see CDMullins is not at his best this morning. Got a hangover maybe?

Same old nonsense.

You'll never convince me that you're not just a attention seeker/troll.

You posted your usual after match thread last night and got no attention so feel the need to start another one.

No words, no real meaning, no evidence, no rationale, just nonsense.

So consider this your attention, congratulations.

We shouldn't be in with the remotest of chances by now but due to all the other teams around us being just as poor (the difference in points easily attributed to our horrific defensive injury crisis throughout the season), there is a vague glimmer of hope if by some miracle we beat arsenal..

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

47 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

OK Lakey here's the deal :

If we beat Arsenal then we'll all cut you a bit more slack and you can continue to explain to us disbelievers how the miraculous escape can still happen. Lose and you wave the white flag, firmly put the tin lid  on this season and in return we'll let you start start telling us how we're going to engineer an immediate return to the top table.

Agreed ? 🙂😉

37 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We shouldn't be in with the remotest of chances by now but due to all the other teams around us being just as poor (the difference in points easily attributed to our horrific defensive injury crisis throughout the season), there is a vague glimmer of hope if by some miracle we beat arsenal..

I agree with you on this to some extent. With hindsight knowing that most of the teams around us are doing their level best to get relegated too It's frustrating that we couldn't have made a better fist of those first two League games.

I don't really agree that our defensive injury crisis has been wholly responsible for some of the points lost. Yes, the Man City game was an incredible result when we were on our knees defensively but when defenders have come back we've still been shipping goals and still unable to win games.

To stay in this League you need more than 5 wins in 31 games.

I really, really do admire anyone who thinks we have even the remotest chance of survival.....but we don't. We have none. Last night's game summed up everything that's wrong with us - they couldn't have given more or played with more spirit, but we still weren't good enough.

Defensively we still can't stop the opposition scoring two easy goals which should have been stopped. Man Utd didn't have to do anything special to beat us. Unless we change that in the next 3 days, the same thing will happen on Wednesday however we play. Every team we play knows that they will get easy chances against us.

4 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I agree with you on this to some extent. With hindsight knowing that most of the teams around us are doing their level best to get relegated too It's frustrating that we couldn't have made a better fist of those first two League games.

I don't really agree that our defensive injury crisis has been wholly responsible for some of the points lost. Yes, the Man City game was an incredible result when we were on our knees defensively but when defenders have come back we've still been shipping goals and still unable to win games.

To stay in this League you need more than 5 wins in 31 games.

I agree the defensive injuries dont make up for us being safe or not, I meant more that they can easily be attributed to the 7 points we are adrift, no more than that 

4 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I really, really do admire anyone who thinks we have even the remotest chance of survival.....but we don't. We have none. Last night's game summed up everything that's wrong with us - they couldn't have given more or played with more spirit, but we still weren't good enough.

Defensively we still can't stop the opposition scoring two easy goals which should have been stopped. Man Utd didn't have to do anything special to beat us. Unless we change that in the next 3 days, the same thing will happen on Wednesday however we play. Every team we play knows that they will get easy chances against us.

That's not true. We have a very small chance. All the signs and all the momentum point to relegation, but it's not exactly a one-in-a-million chance. It would be near-miraculous, but there is still a chance if we beat Arsenal (which in itself would be an incredible result).

18 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

OK Lakey here's the deal :

If we beat Arsenal then we'll all cut you a bit more slack and you can continue to explain to us disbelievers how the miraculous escape can still happen. Lose and you wave the white flag, firmly put the tin lid  on this season and in return we'll let you start start telling us how we're going to engineer an immediate return to the top table.

Agreed ? 🙂😉

But Lakey might not own a white flag. 

Do you have a spare he could borrow....

🙃🏳️🏳️

52 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Can’t see what there is to disagree with this, if the other teams were threatening to do something special then fair enough, but out of Bournemouth, Villa, Watford and West Ham, I think only Watford are likely to get out of it from what I’ve seen since the restart. It will be interesting to see what happens if we can get it to a one game swing, because then it’s NOT insurmountable at all (I shouldn’t have to point that out though but there are people still talking as if we’re cut adrift by 15 points or something). It’s hardly a ridiculous notion is it. 

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

But Lakey might not own a white flag. 

Do you have a spare he could borrow....

🙃🏳️🏳️

Sorry no can do.....I've only got the one and I'm ashamed to say it's looking a bit tatty as it's been flying since before Christmas 🙂

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I agree the defensive injuries dont make up for us being safe or not, I meant more that they can easily be attributed to the 7 points we are adrift, no more than that 

Bournemouth had more players out than us for a long spell. Everyone has had injuries. Hanley and Godfrey have been fit most of the season, Zimmerman for a while, Amadou was a player who has played centre half against PSG, top sides in Spain and not just one or two games here and there. We’ve won games and picked up points regardless of injuries. But then most of the time we’ve been far too open.

Have the injuries contributed? Yes of course. Are they the only reason we’re seven points adrift? No.