Sign in to follow this  
pearsos

Gary Lineker

What has he got against Norwich?

Didn't have a good word to say about us last night and actually seemed pleased that we lost.

Did we win a game that lost him an accumulator? Or last time he was actually at Carrow Road didn’t he get any Walkers crisps?

Even Alan Shearer and Ian Wright had a few positives to say about us.

I found his attitude towards us disgraceful for someone who is supposed to not be biased.

In addition I found it annoying that the commentator couldn’t pronounce Tryball’s name correctly and as for Maguire getting man of the match, where did that come from?

At least we won’t have to put up with the BBC numpties next season if we are back in the Championship.

Shearer and Wright can’t even string a sentence together between them. Embarrassing and cringeworthy at times.

How they can justify their lucrative salaries is beyond me.

I can't understand why he is paid so much to make cr@ppy puns and ended on a ridiculous poem, occasionally he'll wave his arms around to try took to make him look intelligent He has the mentality of a schoolkid.

None of the analysts have the ability to be decent managers. It was interesting the comment to Shearer "your old mate Chris Sutton" 

Perhaps we should start a petition to get Lineker sacked. After all it’s the licence payers who own the BBC 😉😉😉

What did he say or not say? I watched the game and cant remember him saying anything other than how boring it was at half time which he has said for pretty much every game.

• Like 2

I particularly liked how the commentators tied themselves in knots trying to make it sound like Igahlo and Maguire's 2 yard shinned finishes were somehow better than Cantwell's  20 yarder (keeper could have done better, & 'really difficult to get yourself in the position to finish like that (re: igahol) ps - no it's not).  

Do they have zero awareness of themselves?

• Like 3

Coupled with the cameraman clearly not knowing who Idah was as the commentators talked about him.  The lack of knowledge is disgraceful and completely unprofessional.  Compare that with the research Motty used to do.

These bumbling idiots just roll up and watch a game with no background knowledge.

1 hour ago, SplatCat said:

Shearer’s comment was priceless: ‘man united were there for the taking.’ 🤣🤣

They were there for the taking, we were the better team in the second half and with a bit more quality and confidence we could have punished their complacency.

22 minutes ago, FCC said:

Coupled with the cameraman clearly not knowing who Idah was as the commentators talked about him.  The lack of knowledge is disgraceful and completely unprofessional.  Compare that with the research Motty used to do.

These bumbling idiots just roll up and watch a game with no background knowledge.

Loved it when they talked about Idah only to show Duda on the bench..

Just ask yourself how many teams these three have successfully managed and then you see why they talk as much as they do.

1 hour ago, Orly said:

I particularly liked how the commentators tied themselves in knots trying to make it sound like Igahlo and Maguire's 2 yard shinned finishes were somehow better than Cantwell's  20 yarder (keeper could have done better, & 'really difficult to get yourself in the position to finish like that (re: igahol) ps - no it's not).  

Do they have zero awareness of themselves?

Lineker said “erm didn’t it come off his shin though” or similar. 

52 minutes ago, Tired said:

They were there for the taking, we were the better team in the second half and with a bit more quality and confidence we could have punished their complacency.

Yep, not really sure why saying they were there for the taking was a ‘hilarious’ comment. We had chances and could well have won it, so he was right. 

10 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Yep, not really sure why saying they were there for the taking was a ‘hilarious’ comment. We had chances and could well have won it, so he was right. 

Gives us no credit. 

"there for the taking" with their MOTM and all their world class players? 

And us with only 10 men and no defensive subs? 

No interviews from Norwich people after the game and no credit to us from McGuire or OGS. 

14 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Gives us no credit. 

"there for the taking" with their MOTM and all their world class players? 

And us with only 10 men and no defensive subs? 

No interviews from Norwich people after the game and no credit to us from McGuire or OGS. 

So opponents have to say we were brilliant as well? Some people really do have inferiority complex when it comes to Norwich.

How does saying Man Utd were there for the taking not give us credit? There’s no way we beat Man Utd if “all their world class players” have their best games of the season, so undoubtedly yesterday they were a bit off the boil.

If we were 5-0 down, they wouldn’t have been there for the taking, so saying they were there for the taking in itself acknowledges we were in the game. It’s just a factual statement - Man Utd weren’t at their best, we did alright, we could have won it but didn’t. Man Utd were there for the taking and we didn’t take it. 

Let’s also not get carried away. We played alright. We didn’t dominate. We didn’t have fifty shots and were wasteful while Man Utd smashed and grabbed the victory having camped inside their own box for 118 minutes. We defended for our lives and had a few half decent efforts on the counter attack.

They interviewed the manager and ‘man of the match’ from the side who had just won a quarter final. Can’t say I’m crying myself to sleep that they did that instead of interviewing the losers.

3 hours ago, SplatCat said:

Shearer’s comment was priceless: ‘man united were there for the taking.’ 🤣🤣

He was right though, for once.

• Like 1

Every time we go up we have the same thing - people moaning about media bias, what pundits say or don't say, and it will always be the same. I'm not saying you're wrong, because it p!sses me off too, but it's never going to change. Whenever we are in this league now we will be plucky little Norwich who nobody really gives a damn about apart from us, the supporters. We are not a big club. We got relegated in the 90s at the worst possible time and have never re-established ourselves since so we are not seen as belonging at the top level.

We should be used to this by now. It actually probably annoyed me more that neither Maguire or OGS mentioned us at all, as Curious Yellow mentioned above. Not one bit of credit toward the effort we put in and how we took it to the last minute of extra time with 10 men. 

The main problem with Lineker imo is that he dumps down the presentation of a match. ....almost as if all anyone cares about is goals  , sure its good to see them going in, in the right direction of course but they are  definitely  not the be all and end all of footy analysis.  There is much more to a game than that, he just never  gets anywhere near any real tactical summary.  ...just glib one liners and a  wink to camera..... actually  that kinda sums him up.... bit of a Winker. Get rid of the To$$er asap.

BBC football coverage is generally poor you only have to watch MOTD to realise that. Lineker is not too bad and has actually a dry sense of humour when you can get him off script.

Shearer generally has good words about Norwich and was pretty reasonable and fair. But Ian Wright is just totally shocking. No preparation, no research, quite bizarre how he keeps that job.

As a slight aside, if you want a top quality bbc sports presenter Clare Balding takes some beating. Highly professional class act.

f** kin* 'ell?! Some of you lot (OP and most after) have got a serious chip on your shoulders. Absolutely hilarious that you think Lineker and the rest have got a problem with Norwich. Small minded fans like this make it seem like we deserve the 2nd flight we're destined to go to. Grow up lads, get over it. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

The main problem with Lineker imo is that he dumps down the presentation of a match. ....almost as if all anyone cares about is goals  , sure its good to see them going in, in the right direction of course but they are  definitely  not the be all and end all of footy analysis.  There is much more to a game than that, he just never  gets anywhere near any real tactical summary.  ...just glib one liners and a  wink to camera..... actually  that kinda sums him up.... bit of a Winker. Get rid of the To$$er asap.

He’s the presenter though not the analyst. Same on Sky - there is usually (admittedly on Sky normally a non-footballer) host with a couple of pundits, and it’s the pundits not the host who do the tactical analysis. Not that unusual.

35 minutes ago, Aggy said:

He’s the presenter though not the analyst. Same on Sky - there is usually (admittedly on Sky normally a non-footballer) host with a couple of pundits, and it’s the pundits not the host who do the tactical analysis. Not that unusual.

Given that he's  an ex pro , as are his "analysts " I would have thought he'd have a little more to contribute than he currently does.  Totally get what you say about the experts and the host, but why not get a decent host then. He's  neither , not an ex pro that gives insight or a pro tv frontman that can hold a programme together.  It seems with his salary, that the punters are paying for  both, but receiving  neither. Apologies  for not being clearer earlier have just wrecked my head learning a 30 tuck FG knot for joining flourocarbon leader to  a spiderwire  dyneema translucent braided mainline. Have the beggar sussed now though.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, curious yellow said:

I thought it wouldn’t have hurt their captain and manager to have put a few “ they pushed us all the way and we were a bit fortunate “ words out there.

There were no Norwich interviews because one of the conditions of the restart was that only one club can be interviewed. 

It’s always going to be the winners

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

I really like Lineker and Wright. Shearer is a personality vacuum and rarely says anything of any real interest. Lineker is the anchor rather than a pundit, and does a good job at that. Wrighty certainly isn't the thinking man's pundit, but I love his effervescence and general demeanour. What they need is to replace Shearer with an insightful and intellectual pundit who brings genuine top-class analysis, such as Gary Neville on Sky. Shearer's the weak link for me.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 1

I see the BBC bashers out in full force.  You'll miss public broadcasting when you guys let it disappear.

Edited by shefcanary
spelling

More fool you, to anyone who gets upset by this sh yte

It has been the same for decades

It is 'entertainment', a bit of 'joshing' between some old football chums - with the 'odd' bit of help from the scriptwriters. - as with Linekars "duck on a skateboard' type joke to end things

• Like 1

Why do we need pundits? I can work out if we`ve played well or not, just show me the game and I`m happy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aggy said:

So opponents have to say we were brilliant as well?

Can’t say I’m crying myself to sleep that they did that instead of interviewing the losers.

There's a difference between giving credit and saying someone's brilliant. 

Nobody is crying by saying the coverage is disrespectful to our team. 

If you're happy about paying a licence fee to someone who likes to giggle about a foreign player's surname, then kudos to you.