Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Todd Cantwell interview

An absolute breath of fresh air listening to Todd here. Doesn’t sound like your usual media managed predictable responses, just Todd being honest and matter of fact. Genuine positivity and it’s clear that he and the lads have far from given up, the belief is clearly there, which has to be pleasing for any city supporter to hear with 7 games to go and it still relatively close at the bottom of the table. He sounds like he’s 100% ready and focused for the battle that lies ahead, and I have a feeling that in his confident mood he’s about to hit goal scoring form again. It was also good to hear that he and the lads know that they can live with any team in the league when they’re in gear, and he’s right, they’ve shown that on numerous occasions this season, it’s important for us to see that they’re aware of what they’re capable of. Maybe I’m biased, but I truly still think we’re far and away the best footballing team down there and each game we’re improving. For all the injuries/suspensions in defence, we’ve not plateaued or got worse these last 3 games since the season resumed, in fact I think it’s worth pointing out that in each game not only has there been a significant improvement in our play, but interestingly, the level of opponent has also been a step up in quality too which I find quite telling. Could it be that we’re heading into a little bit of form just at the right time?

Cheers Alex. Good interview from one of the best on the pitch today.👍

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Cheers Alex. Good interview from one of the best on the pitch today.👍

Welcome, Herman. I agree, I bet he’d be the first to say some of his passes were a little wayward by his own high standards (see the pass to Pukki in the first half), but to be fair we’re still only in preseason, and overall you can see what a danger he possesses. I have to say Onel is a real threat at this level when he takes player on, didn’t get much of a chance yesterday after the Klose S/O, but even so he has caused real problems for both Everton and Utd when running at their players. Definitely a Premier League player, dare I say that for me he’s blossoming into a player very reminiscent of Traore at Wolves? 

Has Onel bulked up? And yes, he does look a player that could relly flourish in the Prem and I wasn't sure if he would before we went up. But then again I thought it would be too early for Todd to step up.😳

12 minutes ago, Herman said:

Has Onel bulked up? And yes, he does look a player that could relly flourish in the Prem and I wasn't sure if he would before we went up. But then again I thought it would be too early for Todd to step up.😳

Well, Traore is not built like a normal footballer, he looks like a rugby league player, but I suspect this is why he never seems to play 90 minutes and is used as a second half game changer, which in fairness he often does.

But Onel and Traore are extremely similar in their attributes. Both are powerful, direct, good ball control, and ultimately cause panic because using these strengths is really the last thing you want to defend against. I’ve noticed with Traore though that when he receives the ball, he will nearly always choose his moment to either stop or slow down. Very clever as by the time the defender reacts and starts to slow down also, Traore then shoots off again leaving the defender for dead. If when he received the ball and just continued his run, there is a good chance that the faster full backs may get a timed tackle in. But Traore’s cleverly worked out a way to get around that. Very smart player.

Thought the pass from Todd to Pukki wasn't too bad, it was one to chase and Pukki is slower than usual. 

Todd's  attacking work on the left was excellent. Tackled, kept possession and every pass into the box went to the feet of one of our players. 

Onel just needs to find the final shot or pass. Everything else is very good and he has got much better this season despite his injuries. Only trouble is we might find clubs intereted in him. We will obviously lose some players but I hope we can hang on to him for next season. 

3 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Thought the pass from Todd to Pukki wasn't too bad, it was one to chase and Pukki is slower than usual. 

Todd's  attacking work on the left was excellent. Tackled, kept possession and every pass into the box went to the feet of one of our players. 

Onel just needs to find the final shot or pass. Everything else is very good and he has got much better this season despite his injuries. Only trouble is we might find clubs intereted in him. We will obviously lose some players but I hope we can hang on to him for next season. 

I’m sure Todd would say the same but it sent Teemu wide which allowed Maguire etc to get back into position, it needed to be played a little bit more in front of him then Teemu would have had the upper hand, not had to change trajectory and been away. Still, I’m not knocking Todd, I think he’s brilliant and these things happen. Footballers are human beings at the end of the day. Took his goal so well, loved seeing that hit the back of the net and was proper pleased for him.

If Onel was on the Titanic and he had a choice between taking an extra touch or getting on a life boat...

Best hope he's a strong swimmer.

Either we haven't tried hard enough or he just can't quite get there, but if you could coach him to take the shot or cross 1 touch earlier than he does he could be a terrifying player.