The team made us proud today but Unfortunately pukki has been poor this season and today he should have come off earlier , give idah a chance he looks strong and likely to score goals  

We have paid the price for not signing any reliable competition to him. Drmic has been terrible and we've lacked any alternative to try stretch tiring defences. Idah isn't ready for prem level football either.

A loan signing like Nketiah in summer would have been a good idea

• Like 1

A bit harsh to say that he’s been poor this season. If I remember rightly he was on fire and superb at the beginning of the season, confidence now low in a struggling team.

I do think he will be off though at the end of the season.

Pukki doesn't look match fit, perhaps it was the injury before the break. 

Drmic has done OK, he's a different type of player and doesn't have the same understanding with his team mates. 

He works hard and is looking a better option at the moment. 

What rubbish, Pukki has not been "poor".... far from it. Much is made of him not scoring since whenever, but they ignore the perfectly good goal he scored against Spurs that was chalked off. His running and work for the team has been good all season and he always looks dangerous with his well timed runs and excellent at holding up the ball.

• Like 3

Thought pukki looked fairly decent tonight, but clearly very low on confidence and had absolutely zero support.

Cantwell and he were 2 on 1 and the former played a fairly dreadful ball, otherwise Pukki would have been in.

Put it this way, how many good chances has Pukki missed in the last dozen games? The fact he's not getting any service probably explains why he looks poor...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

What rubbish, Pukki has not been "poor".... far from it. Much is made of him not scoring since whenever, but they ignore the perfectly good goal he scored against Spurs that was chalked off. His running and work for the team has been good all season and he always looks dangerous with his well timed runs and excellent at holding up the ball.

Of course he has been poor. He is a striker who this season has found it difficult to “strike” and do what he is paid a lucrative fee for. He had exactly the same problem at Celtic, which is why they unloaded him! He is currently not competitive in the scoring stakes, and struggles at the highest level. Championship  striker yes, premiership no.

• Like 1

He got injured and was never the same after that. It’s incredibly harsh. He’s a sleeping giant right now which is devastating for us

• Like 2

He has 11 goals (should be 12 with the spurs goal) and with seven games to go could easily get to 15. Grant Holt got 15 goals, was he poor?

He also creates goals, his work rate is superb, he is strong, unselfish, a true team player and excellent at holding on to the ball as a lone striker. He's had a barren spell, that is all, but his overall play is still up there with the best. 

Form is temporary but class is permanent - and he is class.

• Like 2

Service to Pukki this season hasn't been as effective as last season, but of course the standard of opposition is much improved. But I think Pukki looks a little off the pace and lacking in confidence. He needs to catch a break and tuck away a half chance, like he did all last season and maybe his confidence will improve

Edited by Don’t be Krul
Spelling

9 hours ago, Ian said:

Thought pukki looked fairly decent tonight, but clearly very low on confidence and had absolutely zero support.

Cantwell and he were 2 on 1 and the former played a fairly dreadful ball, otherwise Pukki would have been in.

Put it this way, how many good chances has Pukki missed in the last dozen games? The fact he's not getting any service probably explains why he looks poor...

Yep that 2 on one was the chance he needed

If that ball was softer he would have been in on the keeper and my money would have been on a pukki goal.

Also when Hernandez was put through buendia and ho took that extra touch, I was thinking pukki would have fired it in right then

That is a big difference at this level prem players dont take a touch if they dont have too they strike early and often don't allow a keeper to then get set

It's a lot about service. Opposing sides at Prem level don't allow the kind of through balls that were  food and drink to Teemu last season.

We play out from the back but too slowly allowing the opposition to press our midfield. It's been difficult for them to make those killer passes for him to run onto.

All strikers have scoring droughts and I'm sure he'll come good again. He seems happy enough and I think he will be with us next season.

• Like 1

Pukki is not Harry Kane but he is our Kane and I am glad we have him. He is not back on form yet but did ok in the Prem at the start of the season. Give Idah a run and bring Teemu on later with the pressure off. 

2 hours ago, City 2nd said:

Of course he has been poor. He is a striker who this season has found it difficult to “strike” and do what he is paid a lucrative fee for. He had exactly the same problem at Celtic, which is why they unloaded him! He is currently not competitive in the scoring stakes, and struggles at the highest level. Championship  striker yes, premiership no.

He has 11 goals in a bottom team. That's a good return.

Celtic is irrelevant. 

Pukki is a decent reflection of the whole team really. Last season he was riding a wave, everything he touched came off. Same with the club - we won games we really had no right to win and should have dropped points, but snuck a late winner or rode our luck defensively and got away with it. That was always going to end in the prem because we weren’t going to be winning week in week out, and Pukki, like the team as a whole, is now struggling.

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

That goal was months ago and as the TV demonstrated his runs are not the same as they were when he was playing well.

In the most positive person can see that he's currently adding very little to the team in the same way he was.

10 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

The team made us proud today but Unfortunately pukki has been poor this season and today he should have come off earlier , give idah a chance he looks strong and likely to score goals  

Poor... I’m not so sure, he has score 11 goals in a team that are bottom of the league.

Yes he looks like he has lost his form slightly but I’d rather have him in our team than against. 
his level is probably the Championship as is most of our team.

But I can tell you this,  next year if we go down he will bang them in again. 
most of this is all about confidence. 

he has deserved a good crack at the premier league as has most of this team. But it’s a completely different standard the premier league. OTBC 

He's definitely been struggling since the injury. Drmic doesn't look up to it, and Farke obviously doesn't want to over-expose Idah - remember he started at Old Trafford earlier in the season and was waaaay out of his depth.

As far as I'm concerned, the clean slate starts now. Unless we somehow go to the Emirates with one fit centre back and pull off a miracle result, we may as well play like we're top of the league, try and rediscover the swagger we had last season.

If Pukki is still here next season (and on current form, I doubt he's likely to attract a huge bid), he'll bang them in again. And whether Drmic is still here or not, we'll see a ton more of Idah against weaker opposition, and that can only be a good thing.

He's not been poor, in some ways he's been a victim of his own success. If his goals this season were more spread out nobody would be claiming he'd been poor.

His form is rotten though, he's not scored from open play since Leicester and I'm not sure I agree with those who are certain he'd have buried that chance if the ball from Cantwell had been better. He's got all the hallmarks of a striker out of form- taking extra touches, not acting on instinct, making the wrong runs etc. Shame Drmic isn't really competition.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

He's not been poor, in some ways he's been a victim of his own success. If his goals this season were more spread out nobody would be claiming he'd been poor.

His form is rotten though, he's not scored from open play since Leicester and I'm not sure I agree with those who are certain he'd have buried that chance if the ball from Cantwell had been better. He's got all the hallmarks of a striker out of form- taking extra touches, not acting on instinct, making the wrong runs etc. Shame Drmic isn't really competition.

Read this and thought “what, 3 league games is hardly rotten form” then realised you were referring to the 1st time we played Leicester.

I was pleased with our performance last night and genuinely believe a few wins will give Pukki and many of the young players who surround him much more self belief and we’ll see something similar to what we did last season again, hopefully even better.

It may not be until next season in the championship that we see that, but I do believe the players we have here now have the ability to rediscover what they are capable of and push on.

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Sorry what I should have said is disappointing as he started so well  I expected more, the service has not been great but on the occasions he has been put through the end product has not been good , a lot of comments on here have said last season he would have scored those chances If he stays he will no doubt be among the top scorers in the championship if we go down,  but I would not say he is premiership quality. Would like to see him and idah up front or just idah if we have nothing to lose in the last few games , idah looks big ,tall enough and capable of scoring . 

• Like 1

He’s certainly not quite ‘there’, perhaps at about 80% which is not quite enough at this level.  A fully firing Pukki pops up all over the place, we’ve seen little of his covering back which was a welcome feature of last season.  Hopefully we can manage him back into fitness and form if only ready for next season

14 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

Idah has no chance while Daniel prefers Drmic. God knows why Adam didn't replace Teemu yesterday. Drmic is so average. 

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

He has 11 goals in a bottom team. That's a good return.

Celtic is irrelevant. 

Celtic is hardly irrelevant. He had exactly the same problem there as here, and at the highest level it appears he struggles to score goals. He has missed so many good chances this season and now our creativity seems to have dried up too, he is getting worse. He has been dropped and subbed for a reason, and that isn’t his work ethic!

21 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Celtic is hardly irrelevant. He had exactly the same problem there as here, and at the highest level it appears he struggles to score goals. He has missed so many good chances this season and now our creativity seems to have dried up too, he is getting worse. He has been dropped and subbed for a reason, and that isn’t his work ethic!

The thing is, most people don't see 11 top flight goals as struggling to score.

The last two seasons we've been relegated nobody cracked double figures.

His form has tailed off but his lack of goals isn't why we're going down- if anything it is the lack of goalscoring support from our midfielders outside of Cantwell.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

The thing is, most people don't see 11 top flight goals as struggling to score.

The last two seasons we've been relegated nobody cracked double figures.

His form has tailed off but his lack of goals isn't why we're going down- if anything it is the lack of goalscoring support from our midfielders outside of Cantwell.

Agreed. If the midfield don’t chip in with goals, you wonder what the point of being so open is. Would we have been any worse off going for a more solid set up, maybe one or two attacking players off Pukki instead of the three attacking midfielders and keeping it tighter? We probably wouldn’t have scored any less but might have conceded fewer....