king canary

For those who think our owners get unfair stick....

The Athletic just tweeted an interview with Liverpool owner Tom Werner. Most of the comments from Liverpool fans are...criticising him for not spending more money despite their recent successes.

I think football is quite unique in that a load of fans that contribute at most a couple thousand quid to the club each year feel entitled to tell fans that have historically spent considerably more...to spend more.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

The Athletic just tweeted an interview with Liverpool owner Tom Werner. Most of the comments from Liverpool fans are...criticising him for not spending more money despite their recent successes.

Thing is Kaceyo, some people are never happy with what other people do.... they ALWAYS know better. To quote Nuttyo "" its other peoples money" . To quote my dad " the man who never made a mistake, never made anything". There are always 'Hurlers on the ditch' as the old irish expression  goes.  Armchair  experts . Best off ignored or asked to provide realistic solutions..... they rarely  can. And often disappear when questioned in detail about the solutions  to the ' problems' they have highlighted. 

Boy, boy I say Boy. You know who you are. 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

As I pointed out on another thread, £330 million over the last three years really isn't enough money. Their club's a disgrace.

The thing is it probably wouldn't have taken too much re-investment to make us more competitive in this league rather than virtually throwing in the towel before the season even began.

Possibly £20m would have done it which is a pittance considering the money we lose by instant relegation.

The problem with our owners is that when they get it right they get it very right (Lambert, the wee man, Farke and Webber.) but when they get it wrong they get it very  wrong , with appalling consistency.

It's certainly fun supporting NCFC, the fun of a rollercoaster though.

The underlying message has to be "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" and statements to the fans regarding her use of the club as an item to be passed on through her family such as in her infamous "take it or leave it," outburst are insulting and alienating.

No person, not even Chase has had such a grip on our club. It's not as if she is financially qualified to own a PL club let alone use that club as an heirloom.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Sad how football is all about money these days. Heard Ray Parlour on Talksport during the week saying Man City needed to spend big next season to compete with Liverpool, as if they haven`t spent enough over the last few years. This is why football is not for the ordinary clubs/fans theses days!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, daisy said:

Sad how football is all about money these days. Heard Ray Parlour on Talksport during the week saying Man City needed to spend big next season to compete with Liverpool, as if they haven`t spent enough over the last few years. This is why football is not for the ordinary clubs/fans theses days!

It is a shame but it’s been about money for decades now so nothing new. 

• Like 1

They do get unfair stick!   Would take the way our club is run over any other all day long!   

Proud of what we are doing, the way were doing it.     

Everyone knew the deal.   Its tiresome listening to the same garbage everytime we go through a difficult path.   What if we had spent the £20m or so and still been in this position?     We will never live with the top clubs... but we may, in time, be a regular mid-table side if we continue this path.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

I have but one question where has all our clubs money gone?!

I think if you look in the accounts you will find it's wages, transfer fees and agents fees

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I think if you look in the accounts you will find it's wages, transfer fees and agents fees

No! No! It's all gone into Delia & Michael's secret Cayman Islands bank account. Surely everyone knows that?  😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

I have but one question where has all our clubs money gone?!

Is that a promise? Just one? Somehow I just don't believe you. Rest assured I will remind you, should you manage to come up with another salient enquiry. 

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Possibly £20m would have done it which is a pittance considering the money we lose by instant relegation.

'Possibly' being the operative word. Not really a solution then, thats one 10 million pound player on a four year deal at forty grand a week, bit of change left over from your 20 million. Can you name just one player who at that price and at those wages that could have turned it round for us Broado?.....I really cant think of one. Look at the value placed on our not so succesful young players.... would half a max Aaron's make any difference. Many would say valuing Max at 20mill is too cheap. We cant have it both ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

100%....it did not go to line their own pockets....they wasted millions on the likes of Naismith in a desperate attempt to stay up rather than a sensible approach to player investment and recruitment such as Leicester, Sheffield United and countless others ...and now they won't send again as they do not trust themselves to have learnt. The people say they are proud of how the club are doing it... What bottom by 6 points, one goal in seven league games, -30 goal difference.... It's a professional football club not a charity. Still waiting for someone to explain to me what is so much better with our club than say Wolves, Leicester, Sheffield United... Give us a list.... Go on ...

15 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

100%....it did not go to line their own pockets....they wasted millions on the likes of Naismith in a desperate attempt to stay up rather than a sensible approach to player investment and recruitment such as Leicester, Sheffield United and countless others ...and now they won't send again as they do not trust themselves to have learnt. The people say they are proud of how the club are doing it... What bottom by 6 points, one goal in seven league games, -30 goal difference.... It's a professional football club not a charity. Still waiting for someone to explain to me what is so much better with our club than say Wolves, Leicester, Sheffield United... Give us a list.... Go on ...

33 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I'll give it a go. How about that we've spent six of the last ten seasons above Wolves and eight of the last ten above Sheffield utd. 

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

Charity? The three Clubs you named are being subbed by wealthy owners, much more like a charity than us. We are being run proffesionally, not so succesful results wise at the moment, but still run proffesionally.  That in itself should be something to be proud of, unless all one wants is to crow about how much we spent on so and so . To make any major difference we'd need hundreds of millions. Are you gonna stump up?. Im defo not going to. Not interested in bragging rights, the wealth of my Club or whether we are Twelfth or twentieth in the league. I dont get my kicks from  champagne. I like a good Real Ale. Something with heart and body. Like my Club.  For some reason I just cant get that worked up about lack of spaffing, or investment as some would like to call it. But then I'd rather rebuild an old land rover than buy a shiny new p enis extension. So Im not the best person to try to convince of the validity of what you say.

Weve been through this a thousand times in the last seven years that ive been a member of this forum and it always boils down to the same thing as far as I can see. I dont need convincing, you do. I'm content, but thats prob because I dont equate where we are in the league table with my all round contentment. It really is only a game and the higher in the football pyramid you are, the less it really means as its 99% about money. ...and we, as a club dont have that much spare. Which is also fine by me. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I'll give it a go. How about that we've spent six of the last ten seasons above Wolves and eight of the last ten above Sheffield utd. 

You sound like a Forrest fan... Would rather our club was in their position now... 100%. Next...

50 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

'Possibly' being the operative word. Not really a solution then, thats one 10 million pound player on a four year deal at forty grand a week, bit of change left over from your 20 million. Can you name just one player who at that price and at those wages that could have turned it round for us Broado?.....I really cant think of one. Look at the value placed on our not so succesful young players.... would half a max Aaron's make any difference. Many would say valuing Max at 20mill is too cheap. We cant have it both ways.

Yes, but instead that money was probably spent on three failed loans (I include Duda) and an injury prone striker who would fail to reach the top twenty of an all-time list of Canary greats in this position.

False economy.

I will have been on record in the distant past saying that we needed one, just one, marquee signing last Summer and that this need be in a defensive position. At the time I assumed a defensive midfielder of high quality. As events transpired a decent central defender would have been better.

Of course ventures into the high end of the transfer market are risky. Sheff.U. got it right.Villa got it wrong.We didn't even make an attempt.

You cannot blame those in charge for getting it wrong (perhaps Amardou was a wrong signing) because it is a minefield for sure. But virtual inactivity is not blameless.

5 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

You sound like a Forrest fan... Would rather our club was in their position now... 100%. Next...

What?

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Charity? The three Clubs you named are being subbed by wealthy owners, much more like a charity than us. We are being run proffesionally, not so succesful results wise at the moment, but still run proffesionally.  That in itself should be something to be proud of, unless all one wants is to crow about how much we spent on so and so . To make any major difference we'd need hundreds of millions. Are you gonna stump up?. Im defo not going to. Not interested in bragging rights, the wealth of my Club or whether we are Twelfth or twentieth in the league. I dont get my kicks from  champagne. I like a good Real Ale. Something with heart and body. Like my Club.  For some reason I just cant get that worked up about lack of spaffing, or investment as some would like to call it. But then I'd rather rebuild an old land rover than buy a shiny new p enis extension. So Im not the best person to try to convince of the validity of what you say.

Weve been through this a thousand times in the last seven betteryears that ive been a member of this forum and it always boils down to the same thing as far as I can see. I dont need convincing, you do. I'm content, but thats prob because I dont equate where we are in the league table with my all round contentment. It really is only a game and the higher in the football pyramid you are, the less it really means as its 99% about money. ...and we, as a club dont have that much spare. Which is also fine by me. 

So having an owner that has no money is a source of pride? And have rich owners is bad...Strange one...and you don't really care were we are as a club because we are like a fine ale and you hate champagne.... Ok. 

I am one of those weird people that hates my club losing... Seems to be a odd trait amongst some on here... I guess that's why the accept not reaching out potential

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

What?

Surely you know the ..you live in the past song 😂... Just a bit of fun x

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Surely you know the ..you live in the past song 😂... Just a bit of fun x

I don't know what you're blathering on about. x

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't know what you're blathering on about. x

You should pay more attention then.... Still waiting to understand why people think these owners make our club will much better than others...

17 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yes, but instead that money was probably spent on three failed loans (I include Duda) and an injury prone striker who would fail to reach the top twenty of an all-time list of Canary greats in this position.

False economy.

I will have been on record in the distant past saying that we needed one, just one, marquee signing last Summer and that this need be in a defensive position. At the time I assumed a defensive midfielder of high quality. As events transpired a decent central defender would have been better.

Of course ventures into the high end of the transfer market are risky. Sheff.U. got it right.Villa got it wrong.We didn't even make an attempt.

You cannot blame those in charge for getting it wrong (perhaps Amardou was a wrong signing) because it is a minefield for sure. But virtual inactivity is not blameless.

Cant disagree with much of what youve written there Broado,  except that the Amadou deal was potentially a very smart move , he could apparently play DM and CB......it just didnt work out. If it had we'd all be saying what a smart fella webber is. We tried to plot a course through the minefield that suited our financial plans. Id rather a small gamble with potential , than a big gamble with it.....a la Villa.  I do get that some, incuging yourself feel that 20mill may have been enough, I just dont agree. More like 200 million, and that'd only last a few years without big big prize money, by which point we'd be looking for more. Tortiose and Hare. Icarus. Etc.

10 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

You should pay more attention then.... Still waiting to understand why people think these owners make our club will much better than others...

If you have to ask.... you'll never know.          RHCP

Apologies Kennyo....trite answer. Better is subjective , this subject just happens not to get too excited about that premier league stuff.

Edited by wcorkcanary

Just now, Kenny Foggo said:

Still don't know what you're blathering on about. You asked about Wolves, Leicester and Sheffield Utd. I answered by saying we had a better last ten tears than two of them. 

Why don't you address the point I made?

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Still don't know what you're blathering on about. You asked about Wolves, Leicester and Sheffield Utd. I answered by saying we had a better last ten tears than two of them. 

Why don't you address the point I made?

The fact hes only been able to flag up 3 clubs, one of which has just had one good season in the prem - we've had several over the past decade. If they come down next season then does Kenny stop using them as an example?