Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Are we looking forward to next season?

It's looking like the Championship for us, but how are we feeling about next season? Optimistic? Pessimistic?

How do people think things will pan out? Will the squad end up being gutted? Will we have a summer of Jason Jarrets and Peter Thornes replacing our better players. Will we keep our starlets? Will we be competitive or will there be too much disrutpion? Will loan-backs be an option, like we did with Maddison and McCullum.

Where are we as a fan-base? For those of us who have moreorless accepted relegation, thinking about next season, where are we?

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I expect we'll be a huge scalp in the champs after winning the FA Cup.

Would be nice to bag a Trophy and have another trip to Europe. We owe Inter! Would getting to the final likely be enough to qualify for the Europa? Think of all the games! With crowds hopefully. 

• Like 1

I cant really look forward to any football if i can't actually go and watch the team play. 

I'm trying but I've not had this little enthusiasm since the final Hughton season

Extremely optimistic. My prediction is that Idah is going to rip the Championship a new one. The number of exciting kids we've got coming through/are signing is ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

It's looking like the Championship for us, but how are we feeling about next season? Optimistic? Pessimistic?

How do people think things will pan out? Will the squad end up being gutted? Will we have a summer of Jason Jarrets and Peter Thornes replacing our better players. Will we keep our starlets? Will we be competitive or will there be too much disrutpion? Will loan-backs be an option, like we did with Maddison and McCullum.

Where are we as a fan-base? For those of us who have moreorless accepted relegation, thinking about next season, where are we?

Obviously it's very early for such a mass debate, but I'd be reasonably optimistic. Expectations to be near the top will be significantly higher than last season (in the Champo!) which could have an important part to play. There's no guarantee that the likes of Pukki, Stiepermann, Trybull & Vrancic will repeat their heroics. I believe that we'll be saying farewell to Aarons, Buendia & Leitner and quite possibly Klose & Cantwell. I really hope Krul & Pukki stay.

There seem to be fitness issues with Hanley, Byram, Drmic and even Zimmermann. This is a worry. Tettey should only be back-up at this stage and it would be a risk to go with Sitti, Charlie Gilmour or poor Louis Thompson in such a crucial position. What kind of pre-season will we have to bed in the likes of Sitti? Will we finally see the acquisition of an enforcer at CDM for Tetts to take under his wing? (probably not!)

You would assume Webber & his team are scouring Europe for at least one quality centre-back. It's highly unlikely Famewo is ready yet, Bushiri is staying in Belgium I believe, I think Odusina is gone. Surely CB is a priority over the summer. Will the club pay the kind of wages required for the calibre of CB we need? (again, probably not) If they did, would this affect the wage structure negatively and/or disrupt squad morale? 

Will the likes of Sinani, Idah, Josh Martin, Jordan Thomas, McCallum, Daniel Adshead, Aidan FitzPatrick & whoever we sign make their mark? DF has an impressive track record with us so far in this regard. If we did lose all of Aarons, Buendia, Leitner, Klose & Cantwell, before any new signings even arrive, we could field a very competitive Champo team with promising back-ups over most positions:

Krul/McGovern/Mair

Byram/J Thomas     Hanley     Zimm/Godfrey     Lewis/McCallum

Tettey/Sitti/Trybull        McLean/Vrancic

Rupp/J Martin            Stiepermann        Hernandez/Sinani

Pukki/Idah/Drmic

As has been fairly brutally demonstrated this season, the spine of the team needs to be strengthened, i.e. CB, "No.10" & you would hope CDM. What club isn't looking to improve these central areas? Buendia would be very difficult to replace. Over to Mr Webber. 

Edited by paddycanary

0We're going down and most of our young assets are out the door, I've settled on that.

Looking forward to next season? Sure am. When the dust has settled we aren't in as bad shape as a lot will have you believe. The players that do stay have a year of top level experience to use (Farke and his team too) and although it isn't nice, I believe football below current PL teams will be weakened by the crisis.

I'm no cheerleader, but there are reasons to be hopeful. I've got a feeling about Josh Martin in particular.

Looking forward to it so long as I am allowed in the stadium (and have a beer beforehand) to watch. Football behind closed doors and watching on a TV is a non event. Assuming we are then I'm looking forward to us returning to Championship winning form and scoring a few goals.  

It will be fascinating to see how the club handles the expectation of a promotion challenge. It won't be easy as a lot of teams will have worked out how to nullify our tactics.

I am looking forward to it only if i can go to the games both home and away as this watching my team live on the tellybox is not for me by a long chalk.

• Like 2

Yeah it’ll be great, can’t wait! Especially promoting new young talent into the first team.

8 hours ago, paddycanary said:

Obviously it's very early for such a mass debate, but I'd be reasonably optimistic. Expectations to be near the top will be significantly higher than last season (in the Champo!) which could have an important part to play. There's no guarantee that the likes of Pukki, Stiepermann, Trybull & Vrancic will repeat their heroics. I believe that we'll be saying farewell to Aarons, Buendia & Leitner and quite possibly Klose & Cantwell. I really hope Krul & Pukki stay.

There seem to be fitness issues with Hanley, Byram, Drmic and even Zimmermann. This is a worry. Tettey should only be back-up at this stage and it would be a risk to go with Sitti, Charlie Gilmour or poor Louis Thompson in such a crucial position. What kind of pre-season will we have to bed in the likes of Sitti? Will we finally see the acquisition of an enforcer at CDM for Tetts to take under his wing? (probably not!)

You would assume Webber & his team are scouring Europe for at least one quality centre-back. It's highly unlikely Famewo is ready yet, Bushiri is staying in Belgium I believe, I think Odusina is gone. Surely CB is a priority over the summer. Will the club pay the kind of wages required for the calibre of CB we need? (again, probably not) If they did, would this affect the wage structure negatively and/or disrupt squad morale? 

Will the likes of Sinani, Idah, Josh Martin, Jordan Thomas, McCallum, Daniel Adshead, Aidan FitzPatrick & whoever we sign make their mark? DF has an impressive track record with us so far in this regard. If we did lose all of Aarons, Buendia, Leitner, Klose & Cantwell, before any new signings even arrive, we could field a very competitive Champo team with promising back-ups over most positions:

Krul/McGovern/Mair

Byram/J Thomas     Hanley     Zimm/Godfrey     Lewis/McCallum

Tettey/Sitti/Trybull        McLean/Vrancic

Rupp/J Martin            Stiepermann        Hernandez/Sinani

Pukki/Idah/Drmic

As has been fairly brutally demonstrated this season, the spine of the team needs to be strengthened, i.e. CB, "No.10" & you would hope CDM. What club isn't looking to improve these central areas? Buendia would be very difficult to replace. Over to Mr Webber. 

Find myself agreeing with nearly all of that.

Got a funny feeling Klose will still be here and I would imagine we would get some additions should we sell those stated.

Would also expect us to end up with a few loans from PL PL clubs, we seemed to have made friends with a few so expect 1 or 2 probably from Liverpool with the Klopp/Farke loving.

4 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Find myself agreeing with nearly all of that.

Got a funny feeling Klose will still be here and I would imagine we would get some additions should we sell those stated.

Would also expect us to end up with a few loans from PL PL clubs, we seemed to have made friends with a few so expect 1 or 2 probably from Liverpool with the Klopp/Farke loving.

To be fair not going to be many clubs wanting to buy Klose, bit of a huge gamble buying a soon to be 33 year old centreback who was out for almost a whole year with a serious injury many players never recover from

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Breaks my heart to say it but I couldnt be less interested in football right now.

I watched the Southampton/Everton games with no emotion at all.

Im desperatley trying to rally some sort of enthuisam for tomorrow.

I've only come on here to had a read of LDC's latest crap and have a little chuckle.

• Haha 1

The great unknown, will we be able to get to see them live and will it be safe to do do. Not sure when the next season is due to start but it would be a big surprise if every season ticket holder would have a seat this side of 2021. I really could not be bothered to watch it on TV with no crowds it is garbage. Then what squad will we have, starting afresh IMO. I would think the majority out of Cantwell, Buendia, Godrey, Lewis and Aarons will be sold, that will mean a lot of money in the bank and opportunities for other youngsters coming through. Duda will not be there and i suspect Leitner, Mc Govern and Klosse will have been moved on, possibly a couple more of the older players, so it may well be all change and depends who we bring in and how good they are. I would expect us to be a top half side but with a lot of turnover in playing staff they will have to hit the ground running if we are going for an automatic slot

On 26/06/2020 at 00:38, Mr.Carrow said:

Extremely optimistic. My prediction is that Idah is going to rip the Championship a new one. The number of exciting kids we've got coming through/are signing is ridiculous.

That's where our future lies most probably. Farke was installed to make the academy fruitful. Its also I believe why the club went with Adams and Neil before him, looking for someone to turn academy prospects into assets. The sale of the Murphy's paid for the academy for a few years at least. We have a number of highly saleable players at present. We're never going to win the Premiership, perhaps satisfaction as a supporter should be the contribution our club makes to English football  🙂