Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

3 goals in 2020

It's not just the fact that we haven't scored, it's that we never look remotely like doing so.

2 minutes ago, Jonncfc said:

It's not just the fact that we haven't scored, it's that we never look remotely like doing so.

We've only got two players who can consistently split a defence with a pass and one of those is always stuck on the bench.

I'd rather we had Vrancic in Duda's position despite his lack of pace, because he's one of those two players.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We've only got two players who can consistently split a defence with a pass and one of those is always stuck on the bench.

I'd rather we had Vrancic in Duda's position despite his lack of pace, because he's one of those two players.

Do agree with that. 

Vrancic should've absolutely played more. Over the last 2 season's our best results seem to coincide with him playing. He finished last season strong too, that free kick against Sheff Wed, the rocket against Blackburn, really feel we've missed out by not playing him. Appreciate he's had injury niggles.. but he can turn it on and can be hugely effective and influential. That first half against Spurs a prime example. 

Take a Cantwell as a comparison. Looks busier, seems to put more in, gets into advanced positions, but is he actually influential on the teams overall play? Certainly not to a Vrancic level. I mention Cantwell, but Duda as you mention, and Mclean could easily be used in a similar comparison. 

Its the main thing that frustrates with Farke. I believed he was fearless and would continue to play our own 'brand' of football. But this season he seems to have been a bit anxious with team selection, and tried to play safe. The problem is our safe system still results in defeats.. and therefore leaves Farke open for justified criticism. 

Hernandez is another one. I know we've had injuries, but I wish Farke stuck to the midfield below when available. After all, no-one as come in to replace them and nail the position. 

Vrancic    Trybull / Tettey 

Hernandez     Steipermann      Buendia 

Pukki 

This lot clicked, and had almost telepathic understating at times last season. Very frustrated we didn't line up like this more often. I think we'd have scored and won more, especially at home. 

Edited by Il Pirata
  • Like 2