TIL 1010

Official Everton Match Thread.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've seen some comments since the Southampton game that basically said it's easy to criticise in hindsight but nobody really questioned the lineup much before the game.

There are now comments in here saying that we shouldn't be negative now and should get behind the team.

When is a good time to question the lineup?

Yes, was about to say the same.

Same with any new signings- say you're not sure about them you'll get told of for writing them off before they've kicked a ball, criticise the signing after and its all 'I don't remember you complaining when we signed him!'

• Like 1

I think it might be pick the names from a bag type of team 😂 

That said, we were rubbish against Southampton and this is our last chance. Plus the players dropped have  all been linked with moves away from the club...

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Good point.

Really hope we do go all out in the cup, no excuse given who we are not starting tonight.

Also hope that United start their under 21's team.

20 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Drmic should have scored first 10 minutes but completely cocked it up.

Overall there is no way that he is a better option than Pukki.

Not that I want to get into this argument just before a game starts, but Drmic also set Pukki up for arguably a better chance that he spurned. 

Not saying he's better than Teemu. Just... saying 

1 minute ago, Yellow Wal said:

The one thing Farke has shown is guts.

After the last performance he could have limped in with a very similar team which wouldn't have inspired anyone. 

How many of those dropped did you feel played well enough to keep their place?

They didn't play well but then it was hard for many of them to play well when we were basically overwhelmed in midfield for most of the game. Given a better platform then the likes of Todd, Emi and Pukki might have performed better. Anyway Duda has shown glimpses, Rupp is busy and we at least have some physicality in midfield and pace on the wing tonight so fingers crossed it works. 

Jeez! Raising the white flag with eight games to go?

How many goals has this team line-up scored in the PL this season?

I think we've gone for a more experienced line-up which is something I was calling for- I think Buendia and Cantwell have become a little lost.

It's a bit more physical and as others have said, 'workman-like'. A bench that cane change things. Ultimately think there's a little bit of 'spread the match fitness around' going on too.

I'll wait until we're losing so I can retract this and explain why Farke was wrong ✌️

After Friday’s debacle, this is very bold and possibly very stupid. Fair enough Friday was terrible but on that basis, how do McLean and Drmic keep their places? Why still no Lietner or Vrancic?

This will either be a masterstroke, which looks unlikely at this stage, or Farke has started digging his own grave.

Fingers crossed its the former.

Edited by Clint

As others have said, it’s brave....mainly because he’ll get crucified if it doesn’t work.

ALL of the midfield let him (and us) down on Friday so they can’t argue with being dropped.  Expect he’s said to the replacements they had their chance and now it’s yours....we desperately need them to take it.

only one I’m not convinced about is dropping Pukki but I actually did think Demi’s did more than him against Southampton.

Honestly, sometimes this fan base amazes me.

The performance and team have been absolutely slated the last few days on here after the dire Southampton performance, and rightly so.

But what, these same people also want to see the same team again? How does that go when they perform in the same way?

Honestly, the manager and the team as a whole just can't win.

And now our manager who has worked wonders on a shoestring (whether we like it or not) could have essentially said to some of the benchwarmers 'go on, show why you should be starting ahead of Emi, Todd, Pukki etc.' How's that for firing someone up?

I'm not saying its a stroke of genius by a long shot, and I'm really not keen.

But at the same time, I also won't slam the performance before the actual performance.

• Like 2

Just now, unique said:

More experienced?

Certainly not more experienced in starting PL games!!

Rupp and Drmic have spent most of their careers at the top level in Germany. Duda, similarly. Tettey is our leading PL appearance maker and Kenny (for better or worse) surely must be our highest appearance-maker aside in midfield this year.

Hernandez is the one outlier, but he's quick and strong and I guess we want some pace in there tonight.

I'm not necessarily saying it's the right call. But 'older and more travelled pro footballers' is how I read our team ahead of the defence.

I don’t blame him for trying something different. What have we got to lose. Finishing with our strongest team is not a bad move after the second half performance against Southampton 

Edited by Van wink

25 minutes ago, Well b back said:

What is it with you and Drmic ? 

Simple, and I'm amazed that you can't see it. He is worse than useless

Farke has set the team up for a draw.

Dropping the first and second highest goal scorers (by quite some distance), and not getting the best out of Buendia ( a player most teams outside the top six would be interested in buying), is either an unbelievable masterstroke, or complete and utter idiocy.

I guess time will rapidly tell.

Perhaps somebody will think about the team we are playing tonight.

Everton are very workmanlike and, with a good manager, will be a force next season. To play an open game against them would be suicide.

Farke is packing the midfield to choke the middle of the park to give the defence more cover. I can’t see where goals are coming from and if the Toffees score first it’s goodnight Delia.

24 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Agree, people have short memories and forget how much progress has been made, the club had a plan and never expected to get in to the PL in the first season of that plan.

Talk or suggestion of him being fired etc is nonsense 

You are only as good as your last game, or in Farke's case, the last 20+ games.

There has been zero progress this season

Edited by Making Plans

It's blindingly obvious what he's trying to do. Against Southampton we were physically bullied and overun in midfield. He's trying to pick a more physical team and to keep it tight. If it's still level later in the game he's got Pukki, Emi and Cantwell to bring on and try and nick the win. It might work - it might not, but he's changed it up after the dire performance against Saints and nobody can blame him for that. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Having just seen the team I think Farke is making his point to the fans for all the criticism - he is his own man and will do what he wants.

Unfortunately, that path leads inevitably to the sack. If you take on the fans as a manager, you always lose.

That’s your assumption, so no need to stir things up between Daniel and us lot.

Personally, I don’t think that tonight’s shock line up is to get at the fans or anything stupidly petty like that. Nor do I think he’s resting those guys for the cup match on Saturday.

Just my opinion but he gave us all a clue the other day. And how today’s extreme temperatures could be our friend...

Keep it tight first half, remembering that Everton only played 72 hours ago. When fatigue almost certainly starts to set in due to this plus the soaring temperatures, bring on Pukki, Cantwell and Buendia to take it to them. 

If that’s his thinking then I think that’s pretty smart myself. No promises whatever line up we start with, but this could be a master stroke.

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

It's blindingly obvious what he's trying to do. Against Southampton we were physically bullied and overun in midfield. He's trying to pick a more physical team and to keep it tight. If it's still level later in the game he's got Pukki, Emi and Cantwell to bring on and try and nick the win. It might work - it might not, but he's changed it up after the dire performance against Saints and nobody can blame him for that. 

Great minds eh? 😉

1 minute ago, Hucks6 said:

If this goes **** up will Farke still be in job by weekend 

And rightly so. He’s worked miracles on 3 years of f*** all money to put it bluntly.

We have 5 substitutions today.

Pukki, Cantwell and Buendia are on the bench. It is just a rotation.

I dont mind the changes, we have nothing to lose and tonight all 3 can come on whenever we want.

We need to find some belief and it was a poor showing ths other day.

I think expectations are low so shaking it up, fair enough.

Let's see what happens

Squad rotation due to number and intensity of games and players not quite upto fitness  sounds good except that he's resting some of the wrong players.

The F.A.Cup has to be considered, but not quite yet surely?

Kenny McClean seems to be the first name on the Farke team sheet.

Pukki, Buendia and Cantwell. Let's hope they don't take offence. I want them all here next season.