Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Farke putting the boot into Connor Southwell

You can understand Daniel getting a bit irritable.....his first season as a PL manager with all that entails and on top of that the virus situation  (not only here with the football, but in Germany and all that entails for family etc) and then dealing with yet more injuries and unknowns to do with playing under restrictions and behind closed doors, a difficult match and poor result....and then to see things written by professionals that he thinks are wide of the mark.   One thing we know is that as pleasant as he comes across and likeable that he is, he won't take any nonsense from anyone, so if his criticism of the reporter is fair - and it probably is, then that reporter ought to take it on board and dwell on what was said so that he can learn from it.

For sure, I'm not saying that there aren't some coherent points in the article. It's as Wacky Waving expands, that it comes across as a very green journalist stating the absolute facts of Farkes tactical plans that he as a qualified coach has spent 3 months working on. If it were me in DF's shoes I'd find it impudent too. 

I imagine it'll be a keen learning experience for the young man in how one should frame tactical analysis, coming from a journalist. Just think how Mourinho would react to a teenage reporter speaking in the same way about him.

• Like 1

Commented elsewhere . Give a new reporter his head. About time. Or are you going to tell all the young supporters that there is a plan in place and it can't possibly be challenged? Even us die hards know that what we saw was unacceptable and frankly clueless.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Seems a bit unnecessary to me.

I'm sure if Lambert was calling out Ipswich reporters for being critical of performances we'd all be saying he's losing it... 

Paul Lambert actually hit out a few times this (last) season, I remember this one aimed at his squad rotation critics and I think Ipswich fans were annoyingly fond of his outbursts against both the media and the owner. not sure how it went down on here 

Football has changed. It's not just about 18 guys. It's everybody. So all this crap that people turn around and say about 'strongest team'. It's a load of s***e, that's what it is. S***e.

"Last year this football club had some guys playing 3,000 minutes and some guys playing 300 minutes. That's unfair. People who don't know the game and don't have a clue about keeping people fit… That's what annoys me.”

For me “losing it” is when a police officer has to restrain you whilst you get yourself sent off in a derby that your team go on to lose 3-0

the comments from Farke are unusual for him but nothing many top managers don’t do when required - I’m all for him standing up for his staff and having a voice to contradict things he believes are incorrect.

36 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Ignoring the quality or lack of it with our current Archant journalists once the manager starts having a pop back it sometimes ends in tears . Rather than enter into a war of words get the team to do his talking.

I see what your saying but I guess it’s more of the case that poor performances end up yielding articles like the one being discussed - where journalists feel they can label the managers attitude and offer tactical insights - whether the manager responds or not it’s normally a sign that things are not going great on the pitch - hopefully in just a few months all things Norwich will be a much happier discussion!

apologies quoted sgncfc by mistake and can’t work out how to delete! 

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

40 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Good for DF, there are far too many opinions in football nowadays and mostly from people not remotely qualified to have them. 

Are you criticising a journalist whose job is literally to give his opinion on the football for...giving his opinion on the football?

Nothing to do with “nowadays”. Fans have always talked nonsense, some more than others. If you pay to watch the team you’re qualified enough to give your opinion imo. 

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

@king canary, where did you get the heat map ?

The Met Office maybe ? 🤔.....a sort of 'Max' temperature analysis.

Edited by C.I.D

Local reporters are fans. They have no-one to impress.. Every manager - e.g. Roeder- and so many at so many clubs will say the local reporters  know nothing. The guy reported it right.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Would love him to break down this Aarons thing as must say I didn't see any notable change of position from him. 

Also his heatmap from the game doesn't exactly show him being moved around the pitch. 

image.png.6561bc11068e39e933f864700ba7a5e2.png

Having just looked at the heat maps from a few other full backs from some games last week - Aaron’s being moved around the pitch is exactly what that heat map shows.

2 minutes ago, Bork1902 said:

Having just looked at the heat maps from a few other full backs from some games last week - Aaron’s being moved around the pitch is exactly what that heat map shows.

How so?

I'd imagine that this whole situation is probably great for Southwell though. Sure, he's been attacked by a man in a much more powerful position than himself and there'll be a lot more pressure on him to get his tactical analysis spot on for the rest of the season, in terms of content and how it's written, but I'm sure a hell of a lot more people are going to read his articles in the coming weeks.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

How so?

Unless I picked some fluke games it seems to be Aaron’s has blue all over the pitch , it just never gets an intense colour because he barely has any touches. That said perhaps I’ve massively misunderstood how these things work. 

I compared him with the villa full backs from the Sheffield United game and the spurs Vs man united full backs.

also the west ham full backs vs wolves - he doesn’t get forward as much but he definitely seems to be moved around?

apologies if I’ve misunderstood

Having read Connor's report, as well as Farke's reply, I do think Daniel's response is overly harsh. Connor does come across a bit 'know-it-all' in tone but that doesn't mean he's wrong...

Connor's report pulls no punches and perhaps Farke is unused to that as normally the EDP articles are pretty powder puff in any criticisms they do give.

However, what cannot be denied was that we got absolutely stuffed 3-0, could have lost by more and looked shockingly poor. Daniel, his staff and the team must take responsibility for that and except the criticism that has, quite rightly, come their way just as they excepted the plaudits that,  quite rightly, came their way when we have played well.

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

...so if his criticism of the reporter is fair - and it probably is, then that reporter ought to take it on board and dwell on what was said so that he can learn from it.

...but if his criticism of Farke is fair - and it probably is (0-3 at home...), then Daniel ought to take it on board and dwell on what was said so that he can learn from it. I guess Wednesday will tell us if he has.

OTBC 

Farke seems over sensitive. After a dodgy decision by a linesman (as they were known then) I  asked Ron Saunders what he thought. He said: "If i see that c**t on the zebra crossing outside  I'm going to run the c**t  over."  I know he had similar sentiments towards awkward reporters because he told me! I've never felt happy on zebra crossings since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bork1902 said:

Unless I picked some fluke games it seems to be Aaron’s has blue all over the pitch , it just never gets an intense colour because he barely has any touches. That said perhaps I’ve massively misunderstood how these things work. 

I compared him with the villa full backs from the Sheffield United game and the spurs Vs man united full backs.

also the west ham full backs vs wolves - he doesn’t get forward as much but he definitely seems to be moved around?

apologies if I’ve misunderstood

No, seems fair.

I think your better off comparing like for like though- ie Aarons maps from previous games. Having taken a look at the previous 3 games it does seem Southampton shows him on the left more than others- maybe we switched to the back 3 formation he used at times last season with him at left wing back. If we did I can't say I noticed.

2 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

...but if his criticism of Farke is fair - and it probably is (0-3 at home...), then Daniel ought to take it on board and dwell on what was said so that he can learn from it. I guess Wednesday will tell us if he has.

OTBC 

I think that’s the point though - Farke is disagreeing with what’s been stated in the article. Why should he learn from something he disputes? 

the changes that were made may well have been ineffective - so write that. Don’t claim he’s too stubborn to do so then reference last season as if to try to create a narrative that Farke has somehow lost it since then. 

Don't want to be disrespectful to Connor but if the future  of a premier league club revolves around the analysis of a new young reporter in Norwich ....we are fu***d!

• Like 1

Hello Bork1902,

Thanks for your reply.

2 minutes ago, Bork1902 said:

I think that’s the point though - Farke is disagreeing with what’s been stated in the article. Why should he learn from something he disputes? 

Daniel has, of course, every right to dispute what is written about him - that doesn't make it any less true...or false. What can't be denied was that we were terrible! Whether he agrees with Connor or not, I pray to baby Jesus that he does learn something from it!

4 minutes ago, Bork1902 said:

the changes that were made may well have been ineffective - so write that. Don’t claim he’s too stubborn to do so

Connor actually acknowledged in the article that Farke had made some tactically changes in the game - the reference to him being 'stubborn' was in relation to those changes only coming late game, when the damage was already done. To be fair, it's not the first time that's been said about Daniel.

To be clear, I very much like Daniel and have no desire for him to leave - that does not mean I think he should be exempt from criticism if warranted.

OTBC

5 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Bring back Michael Bailey, do many listen to our club media experts these days ? 

Yes I watch all on YouTube and podcasts and Michael's input via the Athletic is excellent. We all have different opinions but i have not read any that were disrespectful. 

The main crime on Friday was Daniel didn't make the right subs or early enough. I didn't mind him attempting a 442 but i thought the sub choices were wrong

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Would love him to break down this Aarons thing as must say I didn't see any notable change of position from him. 

Also his heatmap from the game doesn't exactly show him being moved around the pitch. 

image.png.6561bc11068e39e933f864700ba7a5e2.png

Where did you get the heat map from? 

11 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

Where did you get the heat map from? 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Whoscored,  via their match center. 

My interpretation is that some of you are on the wrong lines if you think Farke’s bothered by criticism. He’s had that a million times before and always been fair in his replies. It is not the issue.

The obvious issue is the ‘know it all’ after the event tone of writing which has got under Daniel and co’s skin. 

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I've only just read the piece, and I don't know how accurate it is, but leaving the modish jargon aside it does seem to have some factual underpinning. For example, Southwell says the tactical plan was worked out at Colney, which suggests he saw that in operation in training, or was told about it. It is certainly a fact that Farke, highly unusually, played a 4-4-2.

What probably struck a nerve with Farke was Southwell branding him as stubborn and unwilling to change tactics that weren't working. I think it is admirable that a reporter is willing to upset the hierarchy at the local football club, rather than fawning, but of course it is a high-risk strategy and they do have to be right about what they are saying!

At a tangent, we would I think all hope to see Tettey start tomorrow, but at today's presser there was a hint that he may not be fully up to that, or at least not to last 90 minutes, hence not being in the line-up on Friday. I did wonder if the lack of proper training has been worse for him than for most of the rest of the squad, given his age.

I suspect this was also a factor with Farke going on the attack today. Not only did he have to take on Southampton knowing that three players were going to be unavailable for the whole of the restart, but with Tettey seemingly being sidelined as well. We brought on five subs and he wasn't one of them. He may be able to play some part in the restart but under our straitened circumstances in an ideal world he would be starting every game.

Sounds out of character, and like a man under pressure. But he is entitled to his opinion as much as Connor Southwell.

40 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

My interpretation is that some of you are on the wrong lines if you think Farke’s bothered by criticism. He’s had that a million times before and always been fair in his replies. It is not the issue.

The obvious issue is the ‘know it all’ after the event tone of writing which has got under Daniel and co’s skin. 

I agree, plus I think Daniel is defending his staff and players rather than himself 

Wow!  It is a very harsh criticism unless Connor Southwell has previously been asked to keep to the facts, either personally or via his Editor. 

The extent to which Southwell takes himself seriously is absolutely hilarious. He writes as if he really believes that he's knows what he is talking about, whereas of course he doesn't. No amount of flowery language can conceal that, quite the opposite in fact.

His style and vocabulary is also a bugbear of mine. He often writes as if he were taught English at a very expensive and pretentious Swiss finishing school. Someone on the EDP editorial staff really should be mentoring him better, and tell him it's not a good look. He needs to simplify things, focus more heavily on facts, try to remember that things in football are usually shades of grey, rarely black and white, and lay off the personal criticism unless he can back it up with cast iron facts. It reminds me of the rambling and pretentious Italianate style of Brian Granville, but without the gravitas.

It's a very timely reminder for CS that should not have been necessary, but unfortunately was. There have been worse criticisms of match reporters. The late John Lyall, when manager of Ipswich Town, christened a good friend of mine called Dave Allard 'Judy Dench', his Cockney rhyming slang for 'stench'. He also threatened to have Dave run over! Way to go, Connor! I look forward to reading the next match report.

• Like 1

Really ? Shouting get behind the ball is hardly tactical genius is it ? 😁

“Southampton were fitter, stronger and more tactically intelligent than their opponents. Every time the ball went out for a goal-kick, Hassenhuttl could be heard instructing his side to get ‘behind the ball’.

Technically, Southampton don’t possess the talent to win matches with individual quality - but their press is ferocious and City came unstuck.”

9 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

For those that haven’t read it, some may agree with Connor but I do think he went a bit too far with his analysis which does come across as a bit arrogant 

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/connor-southwell-on-daniel-farke-s-tactical-approach-against-southampton-1-6710533

‘A top heavy approach was asking for trouble’

It’s exactly that kind of comment that got under Farke’s skin. Many fans have asked to see a 4-4-2 deployed before, and I can remember some excitement pre match from not only 1 or 2 when it was announced Pukki and Drmic would partner each other. Fair enough to Connor if he said *before* the game via his twitter or something that *in his opinion* he felt this was a mistake, but I’d wager a bet he didn’t...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1