Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Farke putting the boot into Connor Southwell

I mean, it wasnt the best analysis but I wouldent say it was bad.

Although it must be hard to spend weeks or months getting ready for a match only for someone to rubbish it all as wrong, so it is understandable from Farkes perspective.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

3 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Ooft. I haven't read it tbf, I'd be disappointed if there was no mention of the transition or the press, though. 

I needn't have worried.

"Intrinsically, the concept was designed to match up Ralph Hassenhuttl’s side, with Tom Trybull deployed as a deeper midfielder to screen the central defenders and offer a ball-playing pivot to help break the Saints’ adept and intense press."

"Trybull’s role was designed to get City playing through the thirds with progressive passes to Emi Buendia and Todd Cantwell from deep. Instead, Southampton used him collecting the ball as a trigger point for their press, and they flooded the transition to construct overloads."

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Bring back Michael Bailey, do many listen to our club media experts these days ? 

Agree it’s gone down hill fast since he left,  

6 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Southampton used him collecting the ball as a trigger point for their press, and they flooded the transition to construct overloads."

err, yes..... I think

was that analysis done as a result of watching the game or studying the 'stats' ?

the latter I hope, how on earth can you see what is happening without some numbers to explain it all

1 minute ago, Uncle Fred said:

Agree it’s gone down hill fast since he left,  

He held Freezers hand for long enough I guess. Paddy was fine too with Bailey but I can’t listen to Connor or Dave. 

• Like 3

Let's just say, Farke's tactics have got us hanging off the bottom of the League, would think he would have more to do than criticise reporters. 

How about Farke does his job right first?

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

Let's just say, Farke's tactics have got us hanging off the bottom of the League, would think he would have more to do than criticise reporters. 

How about Farke does his job right first?

yes, a club that was supposedly toying with bankruptcy got us winning the title on a shoestring as has been the case this season

club that has an abundance of young talent coming through

sounds like the job he was brought in to do - if you support the club that is

• Like 10

Seems a bit unnecessary to me.

I'm sure if Lambert was calling out Ipswich reporters for being critical of performances we'd all be saying he's losing it... 

• Like 1

In Farkes defence, the article reads very matter-of-factly and in general you don't find members of local press stating as if certain what the intricacies of his tactics are.

If it was more like 'it seemed like Farke was trying to match Southamptons formation with Tom Trybull sitting slightly deeper, but the midfielder didn't cope with the aggressive Saints pressing' it comes off more as discussion of opinion. The way it's actually written has an air of authority about it and I can see why Farke might react badly to a rookie journalist telling him his job.

We can get away with it on here as armchair fanatics- christ, let's hope DF doesn't come looking through the forum!

11 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

In Farkes defence, the article reads very matter-of-factly and in general you don't find members of local press stating as if certain what the intricacies of his tactics are.

If it was more like 'it seemed like Farke was trying to match Southamptons formation with Tom Trybull sitting slightly deeper, but the midfielder didn't cope with the aggressive Saints pressing' it comes off more as discussion of opinion. The way it's actually written has an air of authority about it and I can see why Farke might react badly to a rookie journalist telling him his job.

We can get away with it on here as armchair fanatics- christ, let's hope DF doesn't come looking through the forum!

I've only just read the piece, and I don't know how accurate it is, but leaving the modish jargon aside it does seem to have some factual underpinning. For example, Southwell says the tactical plan was worked out at Colney, which suggests he saw that in operation in training, or was told about it. It is certainly a fact that Farke, highly unusually, played a 4-4-2.

What probably struck a nerve with Farke was Southwell branding him as stubborn and unwilling to change tactics that weren't working. I think it is admirable that a reporter is willing to upset the hierarchy at the local football club, rather than fawning, but of course it is a high-risk strategy and they do have to be right about what they are saying!

At a tangent, we would I think all hope to see Tettey start tomorrow, but at today's presser there was a hint that he may not be fully up to that, or at least not to last 90 minutes, hence not being in the line-up on Friday. I did wonder if the lack of proper training has been worse for him than for most of the rest of the squad, given his age.

Whilst I haven't exactly been bowled over by Southwell since his appointment, I have to say I agree with most of the article.

I'd agree with Mason in that maybe the style upset Farke, in the sense that it comes across as being very strong and damning, which is quite unusual. Maybe it could've been a bit more passive.

Also, Farke is a man with a UEFA Pro licence and seems to enjoy a bit of analysis himself, so he'd probably see a young reporter's analysis and criticism of his tactics in a 500-word article (roughly; I didn't count) as being highly superficial, bordering on insulting, compared to the hours of work he put into them during training. 

But as I said, I think what Southwell said about Farke's was generally correct. I'd say Southampton's players, particularly those like Ward-Prowse, Hojbjerg, Ings and Redmond, probably have more right to be upset by Southwell saying that Southampton don't have the individual quality to win matches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill said:

yes, a club that was supposedly toying with bankruptcy got us winning the title on a shoestring as has been the case this season

club that has an abundance of young talent coming through

sounds like the job he was brought in to do - if you support the club that is

He has bought in 30 - 40 players since he started here, so don't give me that shoestring garbage. 

We have 3 young players in the team, the rest are out on loan to varying degrees of success. 

His job as manager is to get the best performance from the team, not remain intransigent until we have been almost relegated and then baulk at a critical post game report, a game which we were abysmal in. 

6 minutes ago, Number9 said:

He has bought in 30 - 40 players since he started here, so don't give me that shoestring garbage. 

We have 3 young players in the team, the rest are out on loan to varying degrees of success. 

His job as manager is to get the best performance from the team, not remain intransigent until we have been almost relegated and then baulk at a critical post game report, a game which we were abysmal in. 

Has he made a signing over £3mil?

I personally liked this bit from Farke, as he is regularly criticised on here for not making changes, and people don't see what goes on in a game, in detail. Neither do I, for the record, but I understand I'm not tactically aware enough to pick up all changes thus I'll generally withold criticism:

You can’t be more proactive. We changed four times during the game. We played with different base formations with and without the ball. I am not sure if people realise this. Max Aarons played three different positions during this game. We made four substitutions. Probably since I came here I have not been more proactive in a game. The problem is you can’t win the discussion. If I was to complain, you would say but you lost

6 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Lewis - young

Godfrey - young

Cantwell - young

Buendia - young

In addition to this, he's phasing Idah and Martin into the playing team.

Oh and he turned Maddison from an Alex Neil reject into a £25 million pound sale from the club.

If you're going to criticise Farke, probs best to not go down the youth route, because that's one area he has excelled at.

12 minutes ago, Number9 said:

His remit was and is to turn the club around on the pitch etc

This he has done exceedingly well, with Webber

After the dismal draw at poorman road, no one foresaw we would walk of with the title, but up we went

Unlike you most understand that the club cannot borrow money from the bank to fund players.

Most also recognise that this is just part of that transformation - NOT the end product, and so most will question what your motivation is

May you should change your name to a Number 2 .... given the sh it you post

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I personally liked this bit from Farke, as he is regularly criticised on here for not making changes, and people don't see what goes on in a game, in detail. Neither do I, for the record, but I understand I'm not tactically aware enough to pick up all changes thus I'll generally withold criticism:

👍

Connor Southwells reports read just like Parma’s, in a trendy jargon filled “ I’m telling you how it is and I’m always right” way.

• Like 3

Farke called the criticism "disrespectful and arrogant" - given his lack of natural English I guess we can forgive him the fact that it was neither. I'm no particular fan of Connor Southwell, but in this case his article was pretty much bang on. Sometimes the truth hurts.

None of the supposed tactical changes were effective in any way - that could be why no one noticed them.

Would love him to break down this Aarons thing as must say I didn't see any notable change of position from him. 

Also his heatmap from the game doesn't exactly show him being moved around the pitch. 

image.png.6561bc11068e39e933f864700ba7a5e2.png

15 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Farke called the criticism "disrespectful and arrogant" - given his lack of natural English I guess we can forgive him the fact that it was neither. I'm no particular fan of Connor Southwell, but in this case his article was pretty much bang on. Sometimes the truth hurts.

None of the supposed tactical changes were effective in any way - that could be why no one noticed them.

That does seem pretty strong- it was a woeful performance across the board.

I do understand that the criticism may seem a bit ramped up for one game. I think the fact we've not played for 3 months gave huge weight to this one game. I was pretty certain we were down but even I'd let myself get talked into the idea that due to the unforeseen circumstances, all bets were off and we might have a better chance of staying up than I'd thought before, so to see us lay such a huge egg was really gutting.

I think the local guys do a very good job. I guess CS is just trying to establish himself as a serious reporter, and may possibly get slightly ahead of himself at times. Don't understand the criticism of Dave F on here either. They seem to be fine any time I've watched one of their podcasts or read one of their debate thingys. They work hard and come across pretty well, I feel.

Good for DF, there are far too many opinions in football nowadays and mostly from people not remotely qualified to have them. 

He’s not immune to criticism but has worked miracles with foxtrot alpha money and consequently this season having a squad some way below the required standard. Unfortunately that means poor performances look horrendous. 

Ignoring the quality or lack of it with our current Archant journalists once the manager starts having a pop back it sometimes ends in tears . Rather than enter into a war of words get the team to do his talking.

• Like 1