cambridgeshire canary

If you had to create an all time favorite Norwich players 11.. Who would be in it?

Big question and it really depends on whether we're talking pure ability or who has been your favourite players.

If we're talking pure talent (and attempting to create a team that wouldn't get utterly mullered) then I'd probably say....

Green

Aarons          Makay        Klose        Drury

Tettey     Howson

Buendia                 Maddison              Huckerby

Holt

These are all from when I've had a season ticket (2001 onwards). Tough to leave out Wes but I think Maddison was overall the better player. Slightly highlights that I don't think we've been blessed with loads of great central defenders in my time. Godfrey could get there though.

B Gunn

Culverhouse Mackay Doherty (I just love that bloke) Drury

D Fox Crook

R. Fox Wes Hucks

Ashton

Subs A Gunn (because I like the idea of him on the bench to his Dad!), Russell Martin, Emi, Holt, Sutton, Maddison, Gossy

Keelan

Culverhouse Bruce Duncn Forbes Bowen

Gordon Martin ONeill Townsend Huckerby

Holt Drinkell

That is just one version of the 11, I have probably got about three of four more versions as I really cannot separate them out, so addd in Chris Woods, Bryan Gunn, Green, Aarons Steeno Dave Watson, Crook, Mark Bowen, Deehan, Ashton, Flecky, Malcolm Allen and Bertschin to name but a few...........

And there's me recalling that Martin Peters played over 200 games for City.

Nice to see Martin O'Neill given a mentionfor once.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Woods

Culverhouse

Bowen

Bruce

Watson

Williams

Peters

Drinkell

Sutton

Crook

Huckerby

4-4-2 but what the hell...

7 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

Woods

Culverhouse

Bowen

Bruce

Watson

Williams

Peters

Drinkell

Sutton

Crook

Huckerby

4-4-2 but what the hell...

We agreed on 7 !  Forgot about Peters and for some reason Huckerby. 

That back 4 picks itself really, doesn't it-peerless in every position, plus both the full backs and central defenders worked well together and had a good understanding.

Would have gone for Phelan as well but David Williams was such an elegant and calm presence, I am sure he'd work well just sat in front of the back 4 (who provide the requisite physical presence) and bringing the ball forward in the manner of a Welsh Baresi!

5 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

That back 4 picks itself really, doesn't it-peerless in every position, plus both the full backs and central defenders worked well together and had a good understanding.

Would have gone for Phelan as well but David Williams was such an elegant and calm presence, I am sure he'd work well just sat in front of the back 4 (who provide the requisite physical presence) and bringing the ball forward in the manner of a Welsh Baresi!

Especially Bruce and Watson, what price those 2 in today’s market. 

• Like 1

From 86 onwards:

I wouldn't say this lot were all my favorites, rather the best I've seen at the club in their positions.

Gunn

Culverhouse Butterworth Linighan Bowen

Gordon Crook Goss Huckerby

Sutton Drinkell

I've tried to pick a team based on those players who played a decent amount of games in the top flight who I also think would have worked well together. None of the more recent players get in for me - Maddison didn't play for us in the top flight so I didn't consider him.

Late 80's/early 90's heavy; what a time that was to be a City fan.

As for my 'favourite' players...

Gunn

Culverhouse Newsome Mackay Bowen

Gordon  Wes Tettey Huckerby

Holt Drinkell

OTBC

Theoklitos,

Dreveld,

Walsh,

Doherty,

Helveg,

De Waard,

Andy Hughes,

Brellier,

Matt Jarvis,

Hartson,

Naismith.

💛💚👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, king canary said:

Big question and it really depends on whether we're talking pure ability or who has been your favourite players.

If we're talking pure talent (and attempting to create a team that wouldn't get utterly mullered) then I'd probably say....

Green

Aarons          Makay        Klose        Drury

Tettey     Howson

Buendia                 Maddison              Huckerby

Holt

These are all from when I've had a season ticket (2001 onwards). Tough to leave out Wes but I think Maddison was overall the better player. Slightly highlights that I don't think we've been blessed with loads of great central defenders in my time. Godfrey could get there though.

On your criteria (but from 98/99ish), I’d say the same except, on pure talent, Ashton ahead of Holt I think.

Based more on “favourites” than pure ability, still based on those I can remember seeing play and trying to keep some semblance of an actual formation: 

Ruddy

Martin    Mackay   Fleming    Drury

Tettey

Hoolahan     
         Bellamy                Huckerby             
                 Roberts       Holt

The only tricky one was Bellamy slightly out of position, who could have been Redmond or I considered Eadie out of position on the right cutting in...not the most balanced midfield admittedly!

Edited by Aggy

31 minutes ago, Indy said:

Theoklitos,

Dreveld,

Walsh,

Doherty,

Helveg,

De Waard,

Andy Hughes,

Brellier,

Matt Jarvis,

Hartson,

Naismith.

💛💚👍

Decent side there, who would you have as manager ? 

I'm a late 80s onwards kinda guy so:

Gunn

Culverhouse     Malky     Polston     Bowen

Wes     Crook     Tettey     Huckerby

Holt     Sutton

On the bench: Green, Ruddy, Ruel Fox, Goss, Craig Fleming, Butterworth, Ashton, Fleck, Drury, Bradley Johnson, Iwan Roberts, Disco Dale, Dave Phillips, Eadie, Maddison, Bellamy, Matt Jackson, Earnshaw, Pukki

Side note: this exercise has made me think about centre-backs and central/defensive midfielders since relegation in the mid-90s. I think I've just solved the riddle as to why we can't seem to "consolidate" in the top flight!

Edited by paddycanary
Keep thinking of more
  • Like 1

Favourite 11 but not necessarily the best or balanced team:

Gunn, Martin, Malky, Brucie, Drury, Johnson (BJ), Ruel, Huckerby, Wes, Reeves, Holty

Would definitely need to outscore the opposition!

34 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Decent side there, who would you have as manager ? 

Peter Grant assisted by Roeder, Neil Adams & Brian Gunn.

55 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Side note: this exercise has made me think about centre-backs and central/defensive midfielders since relegation in the mid-90s. I think I've just solved the riddle as to why we can't seem to "consolidate" in the top flight!

Definitely. Bassong gets a bit of an unfair rap, and Gary Holt as a limited defensive midfield alternative I suppose. Other than those two though, in the last 20 years I struggle to name anyone who gets very close to Tettey, Mackay, Klose, Fleming. And  if we’re talking last fifteen years, you’re down to Tettey, Bassong, Klose.

We have had a couple of decent central midfielders - Francis I always rated, Fer, Howson, BJ. But not many and none of those are really what I’d call holding /defensive midfielders.

Some favourite players to watch, in some cases because they added extra skill in a position, or just something unexpected:

Tommy Bryceland, Jimmy Neighbour, Graham Paddon, Mike Kenning (we don’t seem often to have had purely fast players, but my memory is he was, plus having a fierce but usually inaccurate shot), Trevor Hockey (as a kind of antithesis or anti-footballer), Phil Boyer, Mel Machin, Mark Bowen.

1 hour ago, paddycanary said:

Indeed! It crossed my mind as well.

OTBC

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Definitely. Bassong gets a bit of an unfair rap, and Gary Holt as a limited defensive midfield alternative I suppose. Other than those two though, in the last 20 years I struggle to name anyone who gets very close to Tettey, Mackay, Klose, Fleming. And  if we’re talking last fifteen years, you’re down to Tettey, Bassong, Klose.

We have had a couple of decent central midfielders - Francis I always rated, Fer, Howson, BJ. But not many and none of those are really what I’d call holding /defensive midfielders.

I carefully considered both Seb & Gary Holt but sadly they failed to make the cut. I might just squeeze in Holty on my extended bench due to the dearth of CDMs on the list. Well done Three Lungs! 👍Welcome aboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Some favourite players to watch, in some cases because they added extra skill in a position, or just something unexpected:

Tommy Bryceland, Jimmy Neighbour, Graham Paddon, Mike Kenning (we don’t seem often to have had purely fast players, but my memory is he was, plus having a fierce but usually inaccurate shot), Trevor Hockey (as a kind of antithesis or anti-footballer), Phil Boyer, Mel Machin, Mark Bowen.

Indeedy.

Nice to see Jimmy Neighbour get a mention. My 11 would have 5 wingers, so would be a bit lightweight in the middle and at the back.

Martin Peters will always be the first name on the teamsheet for me.

Gunn

Culverhouse

Bowen

Linighan

Newsome

Crook

Buendia

Hoolahan

Ashton

Bellamy

Huckerby 

Not sure who is winning the ball back when we lose it, but we should score a few. 

But I could name another however many teams...

Green

Aarons

Drury

Watson

Bruce

Fox

Townsend

Maddison

Eadie

Sutton

Drinkell

As one example. And there’s still Disco, Holt, Fleck, Sherwood, The Doc, Bassong, Snoddy, Iwan, Krul, Francis, Bradders, Three Lungs, Deehan, O’Neill, Edworthy...Coney

I liked Rob Newman, got bigger as each week went by.

Have to say the Phelan/Townsend combo in midfield was a great time too.

This whole thread is fun, but daft.

Just  lists of names.

I'll have a go then:

Keelan

Peters Forbes Watson Peters 

Peters Peters Peters Peters

Peters Holt

Subs: Neighbour, Drinkell, Boyer, Crook, Peters (sub goalie as well if necessary.)

Like I said, daft.

Edited by BroadstairsR

My favourite players are not generally defenders. So my team is:

Keelan

Huckerby

Peters

Ashton

Grant Holt

Pukki

Buendia

Maddison

Neighbour

Eadie

Bellamy

Subs: Iwan; Ron Davies; Chris Sutton; Ruel Fox; Crook; Hoolahan; RVW (even he would score in this team)

We'd win every game 5-4.

For me this list is far too big, but for passion and love of our club then, Huckerby, Iwan, Gunn, Adams, Culverhouse, Wes, Drury Eadie, to name a few.

My favourites Keelan, Peters, Hucks, Iwan, Woods, Poulsten, Martin, Drury, Eadie