Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

EFL Wage caps

I missed this in the news, so apologies if it's been discussed before but EFL proposing wage caps in L1 and L2.

I've been a massive advocate as wage caps and floors as a way to distribute money evenly and level the playing field in football, but realise it's not practicable in the wider context of footy without some huge fifa led restructures which will never happen.

Can understand why they're proposing it for L1 and L2 given the number of clubs at risk of going to the wall due to Covid.

2.5 mill for the playing squad in L1, and 1.25mill for the playing squad in L2. Thats for wages AND agent fees. Thats not a lot of money for a 20 man squad. Scum spent 800k on agent fees alone in their relegation season.

There are two main impacts that I see from this though.

Firstly, any team that isn't a yoyo team like Rotherham that get relegated into League 1 will have to have a mass exodus to comply, even if given a transition period and will have little financial advantage over clubs that have been down there a while. It will be harder to get out of the league when bigger teams go down.

Secondly, given there are several clubs that struggle to scrape 5k attendances in League 1, teams with a bigger (than L1 average) fan base such as the scum will have no financial advantage either considering that most revenue in L1 comes from tickets not TV.

Shame.

Edited by kick it off

That's a start. Just need get it in the championship/premier league now. The clubs need to be firm with the pfa

16 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Secondly, given there are several clubs that struggle to scrape 5k attendances in League 1, teams with a bigger (than L1 average) fan base such as the scum will have no financial advantage either considering that most revenue in L1 comes from tickets not TV.

I think this is kind of the point though- wage caps need to be the same across the board otherwise all you're doing is locking in the existing advantages.