SwindonCanary

lEEDS ARE THROWING IT AWAY AGAIN

It’s over 30 years ago now guys. Fair enough to point out the facts of what happened, but also time to move on to what’s happening now. May I suggest compensation to the clubs denied European football - like Norwich get Liverpool’s place for the next four years? 

If Heysel hadn't have happened English clubs wouldn't have been banned at that time but there is no denying that hooliganism was a massive problem. The reputation that Leeds has stems from the final in 1975 and the club seems to attract idiots like no other although in fairness things aren't as bad as they were in the late 70's and through the 80's. 

6 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I have a gut feeling it would be futile to continue.

I think your're right. And on that point I think I will say no more on this element of the debate for fear of boring everyone to death

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Surfer said:

It’s over 30 years ago now guys. Fair enough to point out the facts of what happened, but also time to move on to what’s happening now. May I suggest compensation to the clubs denied European football - like Norwich get Liverpool’s place for the next four years? 

The original point made by Phoenix is actually 45 years ago. 

5 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

If Heysel hadn't have happened English clubs wouldn't have been banned at that time but there is no denying that hooliganism was a massive problem. The reputation that Leeds has stems from the final in 1975 and the club seems to attract idiots like no other although in fairness things aren't as bad as they were in the late 70's and through the 80's. 

Agree  Boyo, I had the shoite kicked out of me in the indoor market  in Leeds one Saturday in 1979/80 , I think Leeds were playing Fulham or some other southern team. All it took was a few Lads hearing my non Yorkshire accent ( despite having been born in York), first thing I knew about any trouble was getting a bang on the side of the head from out of nowhere, followed by  a pile in of boots and fists..... a reet Leeds welcome. Me and my mate were saved by a handbag swinging granny who got right in there to stop it. We were a bit bruised and cut but not seriously  injured. Brave Lady.

My main dislike of (some) Leeds fans was when Bradford City played at Odsal (at the time where the Bradford rugby league team played, Northern) following the Bradford fire (which I was at). Leeds fans mocked the Bradford fans with chants and then set alight a chip van on the terrace and cheered as a dangerous fire took hold. To know that 56 fans had lost their lives and to goad Bradford fans in those circumstances was for me something I've never forgotten. And if I'm honest, it's a challenge to forgive.

There are many good Leeds fans however. And Bielsa and his team have played great football this season. Just hope that the Leeds away support has changed over these last 30+ years.

I'm going to put some context to what happened at the Odsal. 

The season before (85/86) there had been numerous problems at Leeds games both home and away and we were banned for a couple of away games (Carlisle and Wimbledon) which didn't work as we simply got tickets for the home ends, the club then introduced an away membership scheme which meant they could control who got tickets. This sort of worked but didn't stop people without tickets travelling to the games, the trouble was still there it was just pushed away from the grounds. For some reason part way through the following season the club decided to give the fans another chance so the membership scheme was dropped and Bradford was the first game you didn't need an ID card to get in. Given that the problems hadn't really gone away it was a stupid decision and I knew from the minute I got in the ground that day something serious was going to happen as there were around 7000+ Leeds fans on the terracing with 000's more in the home seats. There were groups of guys in their 20's who I'd never seen before who weren't interested in the game so it was no surprise when it all kicked off. 

Needless to say the membership scheme was immediately brought back in and it continued for years which to a large extent lessened the problems at away games.