SwindonCanary

lEEDS ARE THROWING IT AWAY AGAIN

On 20/07/2020 at 16:59, PhoenixUnited said:

Leeds United fan in peace. I somehow tripped across your forum and unlike a lot of these yours looks a place where considered views are put forward with respect and without the bad language and offensive behaviour of some. 

First of all commiserations in falling through the trap door but hoe springs eternal and you have to hope that you bounce back next season even stronger but by golly it will be a hell of a scrap to get out of the Championship. I enjoyed watching your team whan they were last in the Championship. I hope you can pull another rabbit out of the hat! 

I have been a Leeds fan from the early 70s. Ah yes - the Dirty Leeds days when we were so very, very good and at times just damned unlucky. There have been a lot of thin and dreadful times and we are heading back to the Top Table after 16 long years. I never thought I ever see those days again. I am still on Cloud 9 at the moment and I don't really want to start thinking about what might happen next season. It is great to be back but I have no doubt at all that it will be a very hard task to remain in the Premier League. If we do as well as the Blunts have this season, I'll be dead happy   

It's been a long, long journey for you fans but you've earned the right to be in the EPL so enjoy the ride. 

3 hours ago, PhoenixUnited said:

😝

Er ....so you were stone cold sober and wide awake to check at the time? 

Well, when we were actually promoted I was in the stadium. In the days and weeks afterwards I was on here.

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Well, when we were actually promoted I was in the stadium. In the days and weeks afterwards I was on here.

My information is that almost all Leeds United  fans were looking for a hole to open up and swallow them. Failing that, they all went and hid under the covers until the new season kicked off. No chance of going anywhere and being social.

Anyway belated congratulations on winning the Championship last summer. Hope it all turns out well for you guys............🤭

1 hour ago, PhoenixUnited said:

My information is that almost all Leeds United  fans were looking for a hole to open up and swallow them. Failing that, they all went and hid under the covers until the new season kicked off. No chance of going anywhere and being social.

Anyway belated congratulations on winning the Championship last summer. Hope it all turns out well for you guys............🤭

Cheers for that fascinating input.

1 hour ago, PhoenixUnited said:

you are so giddy to be promoted but its taken you so long to achieve it. You'll get bummed by refs and stay up from refs and VAR. You'll be like man United.

On 22/07/2020 at 21:04, PhoenixUnited said:

😂😂🤣🤪. Never mind justice. This is a case of just deserts. Yum!

You are going to hate the premier league

3 hours ago, PhoenixUnited said:

Imagine going on a another teams forum, signing up and posting 

What a sad life, stay on your own teams social media you weirdo 

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To be fair, banter is good, I like to see other fans come on here to talk about their teams, helps with perspective to our own views from outside! No need to take banter personally.

4 hours ago, PhoenixUnited said:

Probably a bit like we are now then. So what I did was sign up to a Leeds forum. They made me so welcome. Me, BiteyerlegsNorm and throughyerlegsGary are buddys to this day.

Nice to be promoted but not looking forward to VAR and losing a lot of games. I think Leeds will be more ambitious than Norwich in the transfer window though even though the first year is the hardest. When Leeds went down 16 years ago it was heartbreaking but the championship has come on so much in those years and teams are much better and not a crap league like it once was. 

I Will miss the championship though in a funny way, there much more competition where as the prem its usually 4-5 teams that will always dominate the top spots each season.  Will definitely enjoy the ride win or lose. 

Edited by Rob Whites

16 minutes ago, Rob Whites said:

Nice to be promoted but not looking forward to VAR and losing a lot of games. I think Leeds will be more ambitious than Norwich in the transfer window though even though the first year is the hardest. When Leeds went down 16 years ago it was heartbreaking but the championship has come on so much in those years and teams are much better and not a crap league like it once was. 

I Will miss the championship though in a funny way, there much more competition where as the prem its usually 4-5 teams that will always dominate the top spots each season.  Will definitely enjoy the ride win or lose. 

Good luck to Leeds. I bet your fans are buzzing after being away so long. Especially the younger lads who haven’t experienced it before.

I think it’s fair to say Leeds will definitely spend more than Norwich. You have a very wealthy owner I believe? It’s all about being able to fund the inevitable yearly loss If you go back down again. Leeds, like Villa, look as though they can afford that. Therefore can take the risk. We unfortunately can’t.

The new owner is no fool and will not splash the cash too much, he's seeking other investors so he can get some of his money back.

21 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

you are so giddy to be promoted but its taken you so long to achieve it. You'll get bummed by refs and stay up from refs and VAR. You'll be like man United.

Please! Like Manure? That is the ultimate insult! 

Happy to be up and if you look back we have been done over time and again by dodgy refs. To this day I believe we lost a European Cup final (to Bayern Munich) and First Division Championship in the Revie era. I don't expect things to be any different 

19 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It's called broadening your horizons. 🤓 Maybe you should try it?

23 minutes ago, PhoenixUnited said:

Happy to be up and if you look back we have been done over time and again by dodgy refs. To this day I believe we lost a European Cup final (to Bayern Munich) and First Division Championship in the Revie era. I don't expect things to be any different 

I remember you losing that although you lot claim yourselves champions. How many years ban did you get after those riots?

33 minutes ago, PhoenixUnited said:

I know its the ultimate insult buddy that's why i said it 😉.. nice to see sky sports put on a programme about Leeds getting promoted after 16 years. Shame they don't do that for other teams too

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I remember you losing that although you lot claim yourselves champions. How many years ban did you get after those riots?

This made me smile! The 70s was an appalling period for fan behaviour and every other club had its hooligan element.

The records will show that Leeds never won the European Cup. But what are we saying? That Leeds don't deserve a level playing field because of the hooliganism that occurred? Are we also saying that England should similarly suffer for all the mayhem its supporters perpetrated around the World?

In the end it is all the controversy that makes football the emotional subject that it is. I wouldn't swap it

On reflection we should be happy Norwich City B have seen this level of success. Developing a promising crop of players for us to harvest shortly. 

44 minutes ago, PhoenixUnited said:

This made me smile! The 70s was an appalling period for fan behaviour and every other club had its hooligan element.

The records will show that Leeds never won the European Cup. But what are we saying? That Leeds don't deserve a level playing field because of the hooliganism that occurred? Are we also saying that England should similarly suffer for all the mayhem its supporters perpetrated around the World?

In the end it is all the controversy that makes football the emotional subject that it is. I wouldn't swap it

You keep telling yourself that until you believe it. Or perhaps you've convinced yourself already.

It wasn't every other club. You and Liverpool and a few others were a disgrace. You're happily on our forum so perhaps you'd like to think back to 1985 when we qualified for Europe for the first time but were then banned. Not for the behaviour of our fans. After all we'd just played what was known as the friendly final and beaten Sunderland to qualify for the very competition we were banned from. We were banned because of the likes of you.

You never said how long your first ban was for?

Keep telling yourself you won that European cup and you'll believe that myth too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

You keep telling yourself that until you believe it. Or perhaps you've convinced yourself already.

It wasn't every other club. You and Liverpool and a few others were a disgrace. You're happily on our forum so perhaps you'd like to think back to 1985 when we qualified for Europe for the first time but were then banned. Not for the behaviour of our fans. After all we'd just played what was known as the friendly final and beaten Sunderland to qualify for the very competition we were banned from. We were banned because of the likes of you.

You never said how long your first ban was for?

Keep telling yourself you won that European cup and you'll believe that myth too.

1985 ban had nothing to do with Leeds fans. The Bayern Munich final was a decade before, those loveable scamps from the north west of England may be to blame slightly. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

1985 ban had nothing to do with Leeds fans. The Bayern Munich final was a decade before, those loveable scamps from the north west of England may be to blame slightly. 

It did. It was an accumulation of things. What Liverpool did was the final straw.

The answer I was looking for btw is 4 years. Later reduced to 2 years.

But of course you'd say that had no bearing...

When I read some of this stuff on here I often wonder if you lot were actually there of just read about it later.

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It did. It was an accumulation of things. What Liverpool did was the final straw.

The answer I was looking for btw is 4 years. Later reduced to 2 years.

But of course you'd say that had no bearing...

When I read some of this stuff on here I often wonder if you lot were actually there of just read about it later.

Leeds fans were banned after the 75 final so we can hardly blame them for events a decade later. Don’t let facts get in the way though. 

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Leeds fans were banned after the 75 final so we can hardly blame them for events a decade later. Don’t let facts get in the way though. 

I think nutty said

"We were banned because of the likes of you. "

note the words 'of the likes"

quite an important qualification, I would suggest

9 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

What facts are these? 

The real issue was that English hooliganism was pretty rampant throughout European ties. Special mentions go to the riots started by Leeds in the European cup final of 1975 Manchester United fans against St. Etienne in 1977.

Heysel was a brutal act of violence perpetrated by Liverpool fans that killed 39 supporters, mostly of Juventus fans but apparently some neutral fans too. The sheer toll of deaths and previous incidents, possibly by Liverpool but most certainly by supporters of other English clubs, in addition with the endemic levels of hooliganism in the English league led to Thatcher calling for the FA to withdraw teams from European competition.

However, before the FA could even act upon this request, UEFA acted. For UEFA, Heysel was the final straw in a long list of offences perpetrated by English teams in European competition.

4 hours ago, PhoenixUnited said:

you didn't lose that game - you have merely clung to the myth

yet quietly forget the bribe Bremner offered Danny Hegan before the Wolves game at the end of the 71-72 season, a time when Leeds and Revie were a by word for gamesmanship

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

What facts are these? 

The real issue was that English hooliganism was pretty rampant throughout European ties. Special mentions go to the riots started by Leeds in the European cup final of 1975 Manchester United fans against St. Etienne in 1977.

Heysel was a brutal act of violence perpetrated by Liverpool fans that killed 39 supporters, mostly of Juventus fans but apparently some neutral fans too. The sheer toll of deaths and previous incidents, possibly by Liverpool but most certainly by supporters of other English clubs, in addition with the endemic levels of hooliganism in the English league led to Thatcher calling for the FA to withdraw teams from European competition.

However, before the FA could even act upon this request, UEFA acted. For UEFA, Heysel was the final straw in a long list of offences perpetrated by English teams in European competition.

With you all the way on the Heysal stadium tragedy. I would never condone cowardly violence but I think Italian, Turkish and many other European club fans behaviour in recent decades is easily as bad. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

With you all the way on the Heysal stadium tragedy. I would never condone cowardly violence but I think Italian, Turkish and many other European club fans behaviour in recent decades is easily as bad. 

You're right but that wasn't the point was it?

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

You're right but that wasn't the point was it?

Fair enough, so what specific teams fans do you  hold responsible for the 1985 ban?  They were not great times for lots of reasons and the violence kicked off on numerous occasions and frequently inside the stadiums. 

17 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Fair enough, so what specific teams fans do you  hold responsible for the 1985 ban?  They were not great times for lots of reasons and the violence kicked off on numerous occasions and frequently inside the stadiums. 

I'm still waiting for your facts.