SwindonCanary

lEEDS ARE THROWING IT AWAY AGAIN

Congratulations Leeds! Been a long time coming! Think the title of this needs to change to wBA ARE THROWING IT AWAY AGAIN

• Like 1

Well done Leeds. Can't begrudge you your chance in the top league. 

• Thanks 1

Congratulations to Leeds fans. It must feel great after all of these years t finally make it back where they feel they belong. And on club size, they do. However I hope for the fans rather than the club they can enjoy next season beyond a derby with Sheff Utd and a grudge match with Man Utd, we all know it's a weekly grind playing some very capable clubs. 

• Thanks 1

Congrats to the Leeds fans. Looking forward to seeing how the club prepares for and deals with the challenge of the EPL. But the Leeds fans deserve a shot at the big time, it’s been a long time coming.

• Thanks 1

Being honest they are a big club. I think they will be interesting to watch in PL and to see if they can stay there.

Rumour is Buendia to be signed by them now.

• Thanks 1

No, Grealish. Leeds will want Grealish.... Leeds you want Grealish .... Leeds you need Grealish. 

• Haha 2

Congratulations. Chance to see how Bielsa takes on the PL. Should have gone up last year instead of Villa but better late than never. And 2 of the top 3 last year look like coming straight back down!

• Thanks 1

On 21/06/2020 at 13:38, SwindonCanary said:

CARDIFF 2  LEEDS 0

throwing it away again

oh dear  😄

Bielsa’s tactics in Championship discussed on YouTube vid.  With some loanees going back to parent club I can see Godfrey would be a good fit for slot  in their back three. Hope we can hang onto him, and learn from others so we go straight back up.

• Like 1

Leeds should be in the Premier League. But they dont have the divine right to be there that their fans think they do. 

Having lived in Leeds for 8 years it is a good thing for the city. When I watched Leeds they had great players, and had rather stepped out of that 'Dirty Leeds' image. When they went down I thought it would probably be good for the club. Flush out the rot and be allow the club to be born again, the way it did when Norwich and Man City ended up in League One. I never exepected them to be absent for 20 years and for the rot to set in.

So I genuinely hope Leeds can reclaim their place as a big club again.

I have long been a fan of Bielsa, so if anyone can tranform them, he can. There was talk of him leaving last season when Leeds fell away. Im glad he stayed.

I havent liked Leeds for a long time as a club, but Id like to again

• Thanks 1

Bielsa will have to order some stronger binoculars and a bigger step ladder, some of those PL training ground set-ups are on the large side. 

• Like 1

I don't believe any club has a divine right to any division in the English football pyramid, and that's one of the reasons why in my opinion American style leagues are so boring. 

However, it's hard really to begrudge Leeds their shot back in the Prem. Some of their fans are ****, but then ultimately you'll struggle to find a club which haven't got their fair share. I will definitely be keeping half an eye on the Prem next year as it is shaping up to be an interesting season.

Hopefully they forget about all of their players we signed over our stints in the top flight... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

Bielsa’s tactics in Championship discussed on YouTube vid.  With some loanees going back to parent club I can see Godfrey would be a good fit for slot  in their back three. Hope we can hang onto him, and learn from others so we go straight back up.

See, looking at the tactical side of things there are some similarities between Bielsa's trademark system and what Norwich try to do.

Flat back four on paper, but in reality both full-backs push up (at least in the Championship). Perhaps what we have lacked is someone with the defensive discipline to drop back and become the third centre-back as the two bomb off. BJ before he added goals to his game would often drop back and fill the holes left by the full-backs. Tettey to some degree can do that, but his strength has always (imo) been intercepting in midfield.

Perhaps if we want to keep attacking full backs, rather than trying to be Brazil we can learn from Leeds. 

For the sake of argument, imagine we keep Max and Jamal (or if you want Byram and McCullum), if we had a disciplined DM whose role was to become a 3rd CB when in possession, rather than anything else, we may be less defensively open than we have been under Farke.

Buendia would be a shoe-in for the enganche role. Mayber Drmic as the main striker (foil) wiith Hernandez and Pukki as the flanking strikers. Cantwell and Stiepermann could arguably be used here as well, or as one of the CMs. Current players would probably see Tettey being that 3rd CB

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

The challenge for Bielsa at Leeds, if he was going to adopt his usual approach, which I believe he didnt initally, was going to be making a very demanding system work with 2nd tier players. This system depends on the players doing and being capable of performing within, what is a very unconventional approach. For it to be successful he would need players with the athleticism, stamina and tactical nouse and discipline to be able to meet the needs of the system, or rather their role within it.

Clearly the current Leeds players have adapted, but there was always the possibility they simply wouldnt be up to it.

Presumably now Leeds will have a war-chest to acquire players of a higher calibre to perform within that system. Though having players who are already well practiced will have to be balanced against bringing in 'better' players, who will have to get used to it. An interesting connundrum.

He may well look to former players for his recruitment

Happy for Leeds, the rivalry was only ever a light-hearted one for me. It's good to see them back in the Prem. I wonder if they'll spend big or be a bit more balanced like Sheff United. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

The challenge for Bielsa at Leeds, if he was going to adopt his usual approach, which I believe he didnt initally, was going to be making a very demanding system work with 2nd tier players. This system depends on the players doing and being capable of performing within, what is a very unconventional approach. For it to be successful he would need players with the athleticism, stamina and tactical nouse and discipline to be able to meet the needs of the system, or rather their role within it.

Clearly the current Leeds players have adapted, but there was always the possibility they simply wouldnt be up to it.

Presumably now Leeds will have a war-chest to acquire players of a higher calibre to perform within that system. Though having players who are already well practiced will have to be balanced against bringing in 'better' players, who will have to get used to it. An interesting connundrum.

He may well look to former players for his recruitment

I think they have a bit of a dilemma now, as mentioned they have a system and players that know it and can play it; are the current players good enough for the PL I'd have to say no except for maybe a couple so logically they would need to spend or hope that like Sheff Utd they stick with tried and tested and hope that defensively they are strong enough, Sheff Utd strength was their defensive strength.

Having read lots on Twitter over the last couple of days and stuff from their CEO about how they should be seen as a champions league team I think they'll go all in on spending a ridiculous amount of money; the question with that is then whether they can quickly get new players to adapt to their style and be up and running early enough.

The supposed takeover by the Qataris may not now happen so it's unlikely there'll be a massive injection of money before the start of next season, Jack Harrison is signed on loan for another year rather than buying him as was expected. My guess is they'll go all out to sign Ben White but Brighton will want silly money (£30 million+) so he'll either stay at Brighton or end up at Liverpool sitting on the bench. Without 3/4 new players in key positions (centre half, creative midfielder and goalscorer) they will struggle but the football might be good to watch, sound familiar?

1 hour ago, Icecream Snow said:

But Howard Wilkinson said 😝

"It means more to the Premier League than maybe it does to Leeds," Wilkinson told BBC Sport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53453218

It's interesting.

I often wonder if it matters whether we have the Norwich City in Norwich City Football Club. Apparently we are Delia's Little Football Club and we need to be Stinking Rich Chinese Investor Football Club.

Does the Norwich bit really matter? Would it even matter if we relocated in order to get a reeking stinking rich investor?

Leeds United fan in peace. I somehow tripped across your forum and unlike a lot of these yours looks a place where considered views are put forward with respect and without the bad language and offensive behaviour of some. 

First of all commiserations in falling through the trap door but hoe springs eternal and you have to hope that you bounce back next season even stronger but by golly it will be a hell of a scrap to get out of the Championship. I enjoyed watching your team whan they were last in the Championship. I hope you can pull another rabbit out of the hat! 

I have been a Leeds fan from the early 70s. Ah yes - the Dirty Leeds days when we were so very, very good and at times just damned unlucky. There have been a lot of thin and dreadful times and we are heading back to the Top Table after 16 long years. I never thought I ever see those days again. I am still on Cloud 9 at the moment and I don't really want to start thinking about what might happen next season. It is great to be back but I have no doubt at all that it will be a very hard task to remain in the Premier League. If we do as well as the Blunts have this season, I'll be dead happy