SwindonCanary

lEEDS ARE THROWING IT AWAY AGAIN

9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yeah, it's not as if Stoke have nothing to play for.......it wil be a tough old match, draw it and they start to feel the pressure, lose it and the writing is on the wall.  Stoke's last result - 4-0 at home to Barnsley, before the lockdown they beat Hull 5-1. It's no picnic at the top.

It was a picnic

Not over yet, it puts the pressure back on Brentford to win again tomorrow and for Fulham to win tonight but failure is still an option. 

This thread is comedy gold.

Some of the comments are priceless.............

Talk about desperate.

Gona be some sweet, sweet karma dished out very soon.

Edited by Lowfields1919

On 29/06/2020 at 11:39, hogesar said:

Have a sit down with Webber and Farke and tell them that you don't think they're focused, driven and determined enough.

Baring in mind, of course, Leeds 'desire to be in the EPL permutates all levels of the club' hasn't been enough to get them into the prem all the times we have been, which makes your comment absolute ****! 

Thats because we have serious owners now for the first time in 16 years, so his comment isn't absolute ****!

And the owners get even more serious once we are promoted, so Im afraid you will be disappointed next season too.

On 29/06/2020 at 12:42, hogesar said:

But you're criticising our owners vs Leeds owners who so far have achieved significantly less than our own. You've just made a whole list of assumptions that Leeds will stay up, spend loads of money and do well. 

Leeds have been in discussions about takeover once they are promoted for a while now, its all ready to go.

The PSG owners, money on a scale similar or better than Man City.

I hate money in football and what it has done to the game, but these are the cold hard facts.

No more Ken Bates, no more GFH, and no more Massimo Cellino.

A fantastic well run club now, and about to go to the next level.

Suck it up.

On 29/06/2020 at 13:30, nutty nigel said:

You can see the difference between the ambition of us and Leeds by the fact they've only been relegated from the prem once. That's the mark of ambition.

What? They've never been promoted to the prem? Pah! So what! Promotions are two a penny. Really ambitious owners don't get their clubs promoted. They doss around between the champs and league one....

Not very bright are you.

Read above about our past conmen/owners.

On 29/06/2020 at 13:35, Midlands Yellow said:

I think we’ll have to have a nice wager next season on the survival of Leeds if you wish. 

Ill take a wager of any amount if you wish?

A Bielsa team with cash to spend, you think they won't do well?

LOL.

On 29/06/2020 at 19:09, DraytonBoy said:

What I don't understand is the general acceptance that Norwich will never be able to compete in the PL so the regular up/down is okay. I don't expect Leeds to do much next season if they go up but I'll be pretty pi**ed off if the owners don't invest big time to give them half a chance of survival. Will City fans still support Delia if they don't go straight back up?

Off piste, anyone else see 'The Big Match Revisited' from Jan'77 at the weekend which had highlights of Norwich v Leicester, I would have gone to the game and probably stood in the River End?

Again, ignorance is bliss.

1 minute ago, Lowfields1919 said:

Ill take a wager of any amount if you wish?

A Bielsa team with cash to spend, you think they won't do well?

LOL.

Read it again, I’m offering the bet to someone who thinks Leeds will go down. No danger in my mind you’ll be in any trouble. 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Read it again, I’m offering the bet to someone who thinks Leeds will go down. No danger in my mind you’ll be in any trouble. 

My apologies.

Did he take the bet by any chance?

If so, I will be prepared to take one too.

On 01/07/2020 at 20:50, TIL 1010 said:

West Brom 1-0 up at H/T away at Sheffield Wednesday will get the jitters going again.

Aye, we looked "jittery" last night alright.

Keep praying for a collapse.

1 hour ago, Lowfields1919 said:

Talk about desperate.

Shame you didn't have the confidence in your bottlejob of a team to post on here a little earlier hey?

For years we’ve been using Leeds as our feeder club, it’s about time they had their day.

As us last year they’ve deservedly gained promotion, played some good football from what I’ve seen. 

I’ve no beef with Leeds or their fans always been good when I’ve been there so good luck in the premiership, don’t think it’s so easy though, just ask Villa and Fulham, spending 150 million doesn’t guarantee anything.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Indy said:

For years we’ve been using Leeds as our feeder club, it’s about time they had their day.

As us last year they’ve deservedly gained promotion, played some good football from what I’ve seen. 

I’ve no beef with Leeds or their fans always been good when I’ve been there so good luck in the premiership, don’t think it’s so easy though, just ask Villa and Fulham, spending 150 million doesn’t guarantee anything.

Bielsa > Smith and Terry.

We aren't there yet, but its getting closer.

The feeder club thing was down to Leeches and crooks owning our club for years, selling players and the money disappearing into Cayman Island bank accounts. (Ken Bates).

47 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Shame you didn't have the confidence in your bottlejob of a team to post on here a little earlier hey?

Aye, we have bottled it a couple of times, but love how this is overused.

Derby for example ARE the perennial bottle jobs, but this tag is never attributed to them, funny that isn't it.

I would say that Norwich have been "bottle jobs" this season in the premier league for example, wouldn't you?

Well Leeds still have time to mess things up but at the minute I dont see any nerves on the pitch like last season. A game like Stoke would've been a banana skin but in all honesty it's probably one of the best games they've played all season. When sky posted the highlights on social media there were fans from prem teams that couldn't believe this play came from a championship team. (Check out the 4th goal and 30 pass build up). Stoke are fighting for their lives and jave a lot to play for.     The Prem is a massive step up but I honesty don't think Norwich have made enough commitment to try and stay in the prem at previous attempts. You went up in better shape than Sheffield Utd but it's their togetherness that has got them high up in table and something has gone seriously wrong yet again at Norwich. You can have the best players in the world but if they don't play well together then it makes things a lot harder. This brings me to the team at Leeds, Bielsa inherited a team that were capable of mid table at best and has turned them into excellent players that gives them that same togetherness that you see in the likes of Sheffield Utd. Leeds have also prepared for the prem with the right investment should they get promoted in two weeks. 

So to sum it up I know many on here are saying Leeds should be prepared to lose most games but they will not approach the prem like Norwich seem to do when they get promoted. 

4 minutes ago, Rob Whites said:

Well Leeds still have time to mess things up but at the minute I dont see any nerves on the pitch like last season. A game like Stoke would've been a banana skin but in all honesty it's probably one of the best games they've played all season. When sky posted the highlights on social media there were fans from prem teams that couldn't believe this play came from a championship team. (Check out the 4th goal and 30 pass build up). Stoke are fighting for their lives and jave a lot to play for.     The Prem is a massive step up but I honesty don't think Norwich have made enough commitment to try and stay in the prem at previous attempts. You went up in better shape than Sheffield Utd but it's their togetherness that has got them high up in table and something has gone seriously wrong yet again at Norwich. You can have the best players in the world but if they don't play well together then it makes things a lot harder. This brings me to the team at Leeds, Bielsa inherited a team that were capable of mid table at best and has turned them into excellent players that gives them that same togetherness that you see in the likes of Sheffield Utd. Leeds have also prepared for the prem with the right investment should they get promoted in two weeks. 

So to sum it up I know many on here are saying Leeds should be prepared to lose most games but they will not approach the prem like Norwich seem to do when they get promoted. 

The honest answer to this Rob, is we didn’t have the money to give it a go, we did well to hold onto the young players who got us here. Unfortunately our midfield was so weak whatever the combination that we didn’t control any games. Arguably our front line was certainly good enough as the games show but post Christmas as inevitable teams start targeting points and forget to play their own game just focusing on gaining points.

Our focus was alway to try to get enough points but as shown we don’t have the quality, we budgeted on relegation to ensure we don’t need to have afire sale this year, we build again.  But as I said, it’s not going to be easy, three teams will go down next year and the three coming up are always the favourite, but good luck and enjoy the top flight.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

The honest answer to this Rob, is we didn’t have the money to give it a go, we did well to hold onto the young players who got us here. Unfortunately our midfield was so weak whatever the combination that we didn’t control any games. Arguably our front line was certainly good enough as the games show but post Christmas as inevitable teams start targeting points and forget to play their own game just focusing on gaining points.

Our focus was alway to try to get enough points but as shown we don’t have the quality, we budgeted on relegation to ensure we don’t need to have afire sale this year, we build again.  But as I said, it’s not going to be easy, three teams will go down next year and the three coming up are always the favourite, but good luck and enjoy the top flight.

I guess there is a way of investing correctly too. Villa for example seemed to put all their eggs in one basket and spent an absolute fortune but it's not paid off for them, I expect they may be in serious financial trouble next season or have some sort of fire sale?! 

• Like 1

I will watch next season with interest (behind closed doors probably for part of not all). Leeds should be in a better place than we have been, investing more and having Bielsa's tactical nous. I expect them to survive.

Let's face it, we have bottled our stay. We've played well in parts but injuries and the woodwork haven't helped. Never known such bad luck but maybe we used that up the season before. I will be focussing on the championship though. The PL bores me. I want us to get there no question  but then there are always 3 leagues in it. I suppose having 6 promotion/relegations in the last decade gives us a good experience of knowing what it's like. I wouldn't have changed that decade for any other team. What a journey it's been.

Whatever happens I won't be posting or reading what fans of other side's are saying. I don't have an interest save our own. Agree with Indy about Leeds. Last year they were excellent and I enjoyed their football. This season they're less exciting to watch but have more resilience. I have lots of Leeds friends (they don't post here of course) and have a good sense of their improvement. There are good fans. It's just a portion of those that travel who have an attitude. Leeds fans know about them too.

Yet for sheer enjoyment watching a Champs team this year, it must be Brentford. What a team....if promoted, they would possibly be like us and struggle. We don't have the money either.

Villa have spent so much and will do badly next year. It's all about the money in the PL, the quality it buys and perhaps 10% about the team dynamic. You get a Sheff Utd and amazingly, rarely, a Leicester. Overall though it's depressingly predictable fare.

3 hours ago, Lowfields1919 said:

Talk about desperate.

lol Karma? Because we are interested who we will play next season? God some of your lot are so bitter! Congrats on the good season finally but why don't you just enjoy it rather than be ****** about it.

You act like last season it was our fault you bottled it when there were 2 spots and the playoffs for you that were there for the taking.

Also, if you think it will be a walk in the park up there then you've got a very short memory and are incredibly naive. For every Sheff UTD there are plenty of Huddersfields, Norwich, Reading etc. and there is plenty of work you will need for your team to be competitive there (keeper, white replacement at CB, competition at rb, a better striker or 2, Harrison signed permanent/ replaced). Bielsa better have some clever plans up his sleeve or you'll be in the same scenario as us next year all be it with less money to bounce back.

42 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I will watch next season with interest (behind closed doors probably for part of not all). Leeds should be in a better place than we have been, investing more and having Bielsa's tactical nous. I expect them to survive.

Let's face it, we have bottled our stay. We've played well in parts but injuries and the woodwork haven't helped. Never known such bad luck but maybe we used that up the season before. I will be focussing on the championship though. The PL bores me. I want us to get there no question  but then there are always 3 leagues in it. I suppose having 6 promotion/relegations in the last decade gives us a good experience of knowing what it's like. I wouldn't have changed that decade for any other team. What a journey it's been.

Whatever happens I won't be posting or reading what fans of other side's are saying. I don't have an interest save our own. Agree with Indy about Leeds. Last year they were excellent and I enjoyed their football. This season they're less exciting to watch but have more resilience. I have lots of Leeds friends (they don't post here of course) and have a good sense of their improvement. There are good fans. It's just a portion of those that travel who have an attitude. Leeds fans know about them too.

Yet for sheer enjoyment watching a Champs team this year, it must be Brentford. What a team....if promoted, they would possibly be like us and struggle. We don't have the money either.

Villa have spent so much and will do badly next year. It's all about the money in the PL, the quality it buys and perhaps 10% about the team dynamic. You get a Sheff Utd and amazingly, rarely, a Leicester. Overall though it's depressingly predictable fare.

Agree with all this. I can't see Leeds struggling next season, if anything I think playing largely behind closed doors will actually help them, the crowd at Elland Road can turn very quickly and have very high expectations, now those expectations are coming from the ownership, management and everyone connected with the club and the players are being motivated by it instead of ground down by it. The owners will spend, they'll look at the examples of the 3 promoted sides this season and see from us that spending nothing will see you relegated, but overspending on crap (Villa) won't see you survive either. I fully expect them to follow the Sheff United model and make 3-4 good quality signings to build upon what they have, the financial backing they have now means they have the funds to strengthen properly and given how weak some of the other sides in the EPL are, Leeds will have enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

lol Karma? Because we are interested who we will play next season? God some of your lot are so bitter! Congrats on the good season finally but why don't you just enjoy it rather than be ****** about it.

You act like last season it was our fault you bottled it when there were 2 spots and the playoffs for you that were there for the taking.

Also, if you think it will be a walk in the park up there then you've got a very short memory and are incredibly naive. For every Sheff UTD there are plenty of Huddersfields, Norwich, Reading etc. and there is plenty of work you will need for your team to be competitive there (keeper, white replacement at CB, competition at rb, a better striker or 2, Harrison signed permanent/ replaced). Bielsa better have some clever plans up his sleeve or you'll be in the same scenario as us next year all be it with less money to bounce back.

Don't bite TJ. This guy is here to say "I told you so" and loves arguments and point scoring. He won't reply to the positive points you make but will just concentrate on your criticism (check all the threads, very thin skinned....). I mean, who really cares what Norwich fans think of Leeds! What do we really know that might be so upsetting! Likewise who cares what Leeds fans think of Norwich? Go on Twitter and you can read all the comments if ever you wish to get depressed.

No doubt one or two of our players will interest them. Why wouldn't they? Was just the same when the roles were reversed (over the last 10 years or so). It all goes round and comes round.

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Agree with all this. I can't see Leeds struggling next season, if anything I think playing largely behind closed doors will actually help them, the crowd at Elland Road can turn very quickly and have very high expectations, now those expectations are coming from the ownership, management and everyone connected with the club and the players are being motivated by it instead of ground down by it. The owners will spend, they'll look at the examples of the 3 promoted sides this season and see from us that spending nothing will see you relegated, but overspending on crap (Villa) won't see you survive either. I fully expect them to follow the Sheff United model and make 3-4 good quality signings to build upon what they have, the financial backing they have now means they have the funds to strengthen properly and given how weak some of the other sides in the EPL are, Leeds will have enough.

That's exactly how I see it. Naturally, a good post!🙂

Edited by sonyc

Congratulations for eventually getting back to the top flight. It has been a long, long journey for you so it will taste all the more sweeter. But be warned the EPL is a tough old league and there are no easy games. The pressure is relentless. Enjoy the ride and we'll be back to take up the friendly rivalry after a short rest in the Champs. 

Just watched the Bielsa El Loco and Leeds programme on Sky. Really interesting to see his style and success. One comment to come from one of his success's (in South America) was questioning the ability of Bielsa's teams to go the distance on a long season. Leeds had won 1 out of their previous 4 matches, before lockdown, so this break could have been a huge benefit.

I have no doubt Leeds will go up, and I agree that they just have to buy 3 or 4 players to survive. What other teams will recruit is also to be taken into consideration (West Ham/Brom, Brighton, Watford etc). Bielsa's mantra is not to buy heavy but to improve the players he already has, to make them better (obviously he will buy once they get to the Prem, but this lends it self that he won't buy a quantity of players).

25 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Have you read nothing I have posted about the incoming takeover?

Anyway, don't you worry about us, if Wolves, Burnley, Bournemouth, Brighton, Palace and Watford etc can handle it, Im pretty comfortable that a Leeds United managed by Bielsa with proper financial backing will be just fine.

It is funny to see Lowfields come on here, at 'select' times, and try and score points. When I say funny, I mean sad but hey ho.

I understand the excitement of Leeds fans, having been absolutely no where for many a year, and after last year's bottle job, but it (the Prem) will lose it's shine quickly if Leeds are not in the Champions League within 2 years, and after Bielsa leaves. 

5 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Just watched the Bielsa El Loco and Leeds programme on Sky. Really interesting to see his style and success. One comment to come from one of his success's (in South America) was questioning the ability of Bielsa's teams to go the distance on a long season. Leeds had won 1 out of their previous 4 matches, before lockdown, so this break could have been a huge benefit.

I have no doubt Leeds will go up, and I agree that they just have to buy 3 or 4 players to survive. What other teams will recruit is also to be taken into consideration (West Ham/Brom, Brighton, Watford etc). Bielsa's mantra is not to buy heavy but to improve the players he already has, to make them better (obviously he will buy once they get to the Prem, but this lends it self that he won't buy a quantity of players).

Wow, just ******* wow...........

The ignorance has just taken on a whole new level!

Prior to lockdown, Leeds had won 5 on the bounce and were the form team in the league.

Just pathetic really, know absolutely nothing.

7 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

It is funny to see Lowfields come on here, at 'select' times, and try and score points. When I say funny, I mean sad but hey ho.

I understand the excitement of Leeds fans, having been absolutely no where for many a year, and after last year's bottle job, but it (the Prem) will lose it's shine quickly if Leeds are not in the Champions League within 2 years, and after Bielsa leaves. 

What do you expect when you have a thread dedicated to "Leeds are throwing it away again" full of giddy fools wetting themselves at the prospect.

But anyway, as you say, the lockdown came at the right time for us as we were burning out and had won 1 of our previous 4.

Totally ignoring the fact we had won 5 on the bounce. 🤪

Edited by Lowfields1919