SwindonCanary

lEEDS ARE THROWING IT AWAY AGAIN

11 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

And once again we of course ignore the middle ground. Of course, in the absence of much wealthier owners (if only) we cannot spend stupid amounts of cash but we could at least take a calculated risk to try and give ourselves a realistic chance of staying up when we have 5 or 6 players each worth £15m plus we can (and no doubt will) sell if we get relegated.

How much is ‘middle ground’, Jim? Have we not tried that and nearly gone bust? Because ‘middle ground’ is an absolutely pointless gamble amongst the MASSIVE riches in the Premier League these days.

And let’s not forget, we’re currently ‘riding high’ in the the Premier League because of these wonderful calculated ‘middle ground’ gambles from yesteryear. They worked out so well for us to be fair, and here we are - no thanks to them whatsoever.

37 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

This has got to be the biggest crock of one eyed nonsense I've ever read on here. Leeds, who have spent the last 16 seasons in the shadow of the ambitions of our owners, finally could be spending a season in the league above and somehow they have more ambition. How do you get there Jimbo?

It's absolute rubbish and deep down Jim knows it too. He has some very reasoned opinions and despite me not agreeing with most of what he says I think Jim is a good poster but this one is just a nonsensical attack on our current owners with the only evidence available in comparison to the Leeds owners actually 100% the opposite of what he says.

I love Jimbo and his rants. He's one of my favourite posters. But this stuff about Leeds is on a par with last season's assertion that under this ownership model we couldn't compete with Marcus Evans' Ipswich.

Yet we just narrowly lost to Man Utd in the FA Cup quarters and are playing a league match at Arsenal on Wednesday. Meanwhile Evans' binners have found a level languishing mid-table in league one and haven't beaten us for 4071 days.

27 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I love Jimbo and his rants. He's one of my favourite posters. But this stuff about Leeds is on a par with last season's assertion that under this ownership model we couldn't compete with Marcus Evans' Ipswich.

Yet we just narrowly lost to Man Utd in the FA Cup quarters and are playing a league match at Arsenal on Wednesday. Meanwhile Evans' binners have found a level languishing mid-table in league one and haven't beaten us for 4071 days.

4071 days.

To add context, a child born on the day that they last beat us will be starting High School in September. 🙂

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes, but unfortunately as soon as a Delia-Outer is proven wrong by our fantastic club - they then say its history and irrelevant and wait for some sort of inevitable negative and blame it all on our owners.

57 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

4071 days.

To add context, a child born on the day that they last beat us will be starting High School in September. 🙂

Or a binner leaving school this year probably has no recollection of beating us.

But...

They've got ambition....

Delia out😠😤

Edited by nutty nigel

What I don't understand is the general acceptance that Norwich will never be able to compete in the PL so the regular up/down is okay. I don't expect Leeds to do much next season if they go up but I'll be pretty pi**ed off if the owners don't invest big time to give them half a chance of survival. Will City fans still support Delia if they don't go straight back up?

Off piste, anyone else see 'The Big Match Revisited' from Jan'77 at the weekend which had highlights of Norwich v Leicester, I would have gone to the game and probably stood in the River End?

2 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

What I don't understand is the general acceptance that Norwich will never be able to compete in the PL so the regular up/down is okay. I don't expect Leeds to do much next season if they go up but I'll be pretty pi**ed off if the owners don't invest big time to give them half a chance of survival. Will City fans still support Delia if they don't go straight back up?

Off piste, anyone else see 'The Big Match Revisited' from Jan'77 at the weekend which had highlights of Norwich v Leicester, I would have gone to the game and probably stood in the River End?

That's because such acceptance probably doesn't exist. If it did you'd be able to point out where it is.

But if you read above, including your own post, you will see some sort of acceptance of 16 years in the shadow of our ambition and some crazy notion that if you finally spend one season above us that trumps the lot.

26 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yes, but unfortunately as soon as a Delia-Outer is proven wrong by our fantastic club - they then say its history and irrelevant and wait for some sort of inevitable negative and blame it all on our owners.

I think it’s unfair to say some of us ‘Delia Outers’ are negative! 

I think we have all embraced and plauded recent successes equally!

The differences in opinion seems in that the ‘Delia inners’ are grateful for the occasional success and accept the current owners limitations in taking the club forward and embrace the risk adverse nature of the club’s financial policy, whilst the ‘Delia outers’ see that with a bit of ambition, which the current owners are unable to finance, there was a missed opportunity this year,  to really established the club in the EPL!

So as a comparison what is more negative, the apathetic attitude of the ‘inners’ or the ambitious attitude of the ‘outers’

In 12 months time, when City are either pushing for promotion or languishing in mid-bottom in the Champions, one of these camps will have the bragging rights!

only time will tell

4 minutes ago, Cliff the Canary said:

The differences in opinion seems in that the ‘Delia inners’ are grateful for the occasional success and accept the current owners limitations in taking the club forward and embrace the risk adverse nature of the club’s financial policy, whilst the ‘Delia outers’ see that with a bit of ambition, which the current owners are unable to finance, there was a missed opportunity this year,  to really established the club in the EPL!

So as a comparison what is more negative, the apathetic attitude of the ‘inners’ or the ambitious attitude of the ‘outers’

In 12 months time, when City are either pushing for promotion or languishing in mid-bottom in the Champions, one of these camps will have the bragging rights!

only time will tell

That's poppycock and piffle🙃

The Delia outers move from club to club claiming they have more ambition. We've had Forest, Fulham, Cardiff, Preston, Derby, Blackburn, Swansea, Bristol City, Sheffield Weds, QPR, Reading, Birmingham, Wigan, Charlton, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Hull, Huddersfield, Barnsley, Coventry, Portsmouth, Sunderland, ipswich, Bolton, all flagged up on here of showing ambition with owners lauded above ours. As each has floundered in the shadow of our ambition they have been discarded and replaced by another club.  Now it's Leeds....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That's poppycock and piffle🙃

The Delia outers move from club to club claiming they have more ambition. We've had Forest, Fulham, Cardiff, Preston, Derby, Blackburn, Swansea, Bristol City, Sheffield Weds, QPR, Reading, Birmingham, Wigan, Charlton, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Hull, Huddersfield, Barnsley, Coventry, Portsmouth, Sunderland, ipswich, Bolton, all flagged up on here of showing ambition with owners lauded above ours. As each has floundered in the shadow of our ambition they have been discarded and replaced by another club.  Now it's Leeds....

I am right in saying this is the first time Leeds have been held up as an example? Before they've even been promoted to the top division of football they're apparently more ambitious?!

14 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That's because such acceptance probably doesn't exist. If it did you'd be able to point out where it is.

But if you read above, including your own post, you will see some sort of acceptance of 16 years in the shadow of our ambition and some crazy notion that if you finally spend one season above us that trumps the lot.

I'm not a WACCOE type Leeds fan Nigel, I spent years in the 80's watching drivel until Wilkinson came along and it's taken over a decade for an owner willing to spend real money for us to have what I would call 'ambition' aligned with an understanding of what the club is about.

4 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

I'm not a WACCOE type Leeds fan Nigel, I spent years in the 80's watching drivel until Wilkinson came along and it's taken over a decade for an owner willing to spend real money for us to have what I would call 'ambition' aligned with an understanding of what the club is about.

So you clearly understand that you've been in the shadow of Delia's ambition for 16 years.

10 minutes ago, Cliff the Canary said:

only time will tell

I bet you that us that are supporting the model want success for the club just as much as any ‘Delia Outer’. It doesn’t make us any less ambitious contrary to some strange popular belief, that is just complete and utter bo11ox. However, it is what is, and we happen to have owners that aren’t wealthy in the football scheme of things. Now, you can either accept that, or perpetually be pissed off we’re not Man City, like 99.9% of other English clubs. Pound for pound, we’re one of the finest ‘boxers’ in Europe, no question.

So with that said, what we’re not prepared to do is demand that our club threatens its very existence by risking throwing the kitchen sink at it financially, as we have our heads switched on enough to recognise those currently at the top simply just don’t have the money like Man City and Wolves etc to bankroll us out of the shoite if it (very likely) didn't work out.

I find it so strange that people recognise full well that the current owners can’t buy £25mil players and consequently put *everyone* on 80 grand a week, yet still think it’s a disgrace that they don’t do it! 

I can promise you this though. People would be getting right sh1tty if we’d actually spent £15mil on Amadou, £10mil on Fahrmann, and £25mil on Duda this season for starters. FIFTY million right down the sh1tter just like that. NO improvement on the squad whatsoever, and that’s a fact. There’s your ambition for you right there. And that kind of says it all...

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So you clearly understand that you've been in the shadow of Delia's ambition for 16 years.

Due to the different histories of the two clubs the importance of being in the top league is more relevant to Leeds than it is to Norwich which to me is a shame. I spent countless afternoon's and evenings watching Norwich in the 70's and 80's when they competed with the best teams in the country, why couldn't that happen again?

I'll agree that for years Leeds lacked any ambition Nigel but nothing more.😉 

21 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

I’m not clear DB - what is Leeds “about”? 

5 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Due to the different histories of the two clubs the importance of being in the top league is more relevant to Leeds than it is to Norwich which to me is a shame. I spent countless afternoon's and evenings watching Norwich in the 70's and 80's when they competed with the best teams in the country, why couldn't that happen again?

I'll agree that for years Leeds lacked any ambition Nigel but nothing more.😉 

You realise that the most relevent history would be the most recent history? Didn't the binners win something in the 70s and 80s? You'd have to be about 50 to have much of a memory of it.

I suppose it's possible that we could now live in the shadow of Leeds' ambition for the next 16 years but if we do the chances are probably neither of us will live to see it...

38 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I bet you that us that are supporting the model want success for the club just as much as any ‘Delia Outer’. It doesn’t make us any less ambitious contrary to some strange popular belief, that is just complete and utter bo11ox. However, it is what is, and we happen to have owners that aren’t wealthy in the football scheme of things. Now, you can either accept that, or perpetually be pissed off we’re not Man City, like 99.9% of other English clubs. Pound for pound, we’re one of the finest ‘boxers’ in Europe, no question.

So with that said, what we’re not prepared to do is demand that our club threatens its very existence by risking throwing the kitchen sink at it financially, as we have our heads switched on enough to recognise those currently at the top simply just don’t have the money like Man City and Wolves etc to bankroll us out of the shoite if it (very likely) didn't work out.

I find it so strange that people recognise full well that the current owners can’t buy £25mil players and consequently put *everyone* on 80 grand a week, yet still think it’s a disgrace that they don’t do it! 

I can promise you this though. People would be getting right sh1tty if we’d actually spent £15mil on Amadou, £10mil on Fahrmann, and £25mil on Duda this season for starters. FIFTY million right down the sh1tter just like that. NO improvement on the squad whatsoever, and that’s a fact. There’s your ambition for you right there. And that kind of says it all...

I never doubt for a second, every fan’s desire for the club to be successful!

Its the loyalty and support of the owners and model, that can not deliver permanent success due to the financial limitations, that I perceive as negative! 

To have faith in such a system seems delusional, rather than optimistic!

I would like nothing more than in 12 months time, someone to repost this and say “I told you so” when City are sealing promotion back to the EPL!

Unfortunately, recent history would suggest, that we’ll have our brief moment in the limelight, before sinking in to mediocrity for a prolonged period!

Edited by Cliff the Canary

5 minutes ago, Cliff the Canary said:

I never doubt for a second, every fan’s desire for the club to be successful!

Its the loyalty and support of the owners and model, that can not deliver permanent success due to the financial limitations, that I perceive as negative! 

To have faith in such a system seems delusional, rather than optimistic!

I would like nothing more than in 12 months time, someone to repost this and say “I told you so” when City are sealing promotion back to the EPL!

Unfortunately, recent history would suggest, that we’ll have our brief moment in the limelight, before sinking in to mediocrity for a prolonged period!

Doesnt recent history show that we have a better record than most for bouncing back after a relegation?

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Doesnt recent history show that we have a better record than most for bouncing back after a relegation?

Yeah, that's why we have more relegations than anyone else because ultimately we are good at getting back. Most clubs outside of the prem, would of traded places with us for the last 10 years we've had.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I guess that is the crux of the matter! Some see promotion, followed by instant relegation as punching above our weight and a success, whilst others see it as missed opportunity, borne out of lack of ambition and a failure!

The only thing we can agree on, is that we’ll never agree 👍

7 minutes ago, Cliff the Canary said:

I guess that is the crux of the matter! Some see promotion, followed by instant relegation as punching above our weight and a success, whilst others see it as missed opportunity, borne out of lack of ambition and a failure!

The only thing we can agree on, is that we’ll never agree 👍

That is so clever. You want to post both sides of the discussion. "Some see (make something up)" Then argue that what you made up is less ambitious than your opinion.

So, what is this ambition that you have and others don't?

15 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

This has got to be the biggest crock of one eyed nonsense I've ever read on here. Leeds, who have spent the last 16 seasons in the shadow of the ambitions of our owners, finally could be spending a season in the league above and somehow they have more ambition. How do you get there Jimbo?

Because he is clearly wise rather than nutty, Nigel. 

Edited by Cyan

14 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Top 26...deary me!

Well Kenny, are you going to answer my questions to you on the other thread, how can we change it all and what are you doing to achieve that?

On 29/06/2020 at 15:42, Alex Moss said:

How much is ‘middle ground’, Jim? Have we not tried that and nearly gone bust? Because ‘middle ground’ is an absolutely pointless gamble amongst the MASSIVE riches in the Premier League these days.

And let’s not forget, we’re currently ‘riding high’ in the the Premier League because of these wonderful calculated ‘middle ground’ gambles from yesteryear. They worked out so well for us to be fair, and here we are - no thanks to them whatsoever.

No we haven’t tried it and nearly gone bust. The January signings of Naismith and Klose have somehow been rebranded in recent years as us “spending big in the past.” What they were was one reasonable signing made 6 months too late in the case of Klose and one disastrous signing of a player we didn’t really need on a stupid contract. We have never spent recent money at the time we needed to on the right players. 

• Like 1