Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Us, Bournemouth and one other

Recommended Posts

Yeah we do look the worst 2 teams in the league.

Villa relegation would be so funny after all the money they've spent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope it’s both Villa and a West Ham, just to stick two fingers up at the cheating Villa and Brady with her no chance of staying up without spending millions! Funny to see West Ham come down too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Villa (Never a fan, similar to Ipswich in they think they are far bigger and better than they really are) Bournmouth (leauge two club everyone thinks is a fairytale when in reality they bought there way to the prem) West Ham (Do I need to say much here?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Us, Bournemouth, West Ham and Villa are certainly the bottom 4 from what we have seen so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think Brighton can be counted out now.

Didn't see Villa's match, so can't comment.

I thought West Ham were very poor. Bournemouth also very bad; although picking up a bit as I write this in the 60th minute. Saw enough fight from Watford to make me think they'll be alright. 

Agree with those saying 3 from those 4. It's just so frustrating - if we could actually get some form and pick up some wins, this is really doable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who cares, disgusting after all our promotions and the BOD have learnt absolutely nothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bournemouth look as clueless as we did yesterday. 

Have to say the size of all the players for Crystal Palace is something we could benefit from. Too many times we are hustled off the ball by bigger players. Hopefully in the future we can build a squad who are not just skillful but physically adapt to the PL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

Bournemouth look as clueless as we did yesterday. 

Have to say the size of all the players for Crystal Palace is something we could benefit from. Too many times we are hustled off the ball by bigger players. Hopefully in the future we can build a squad who are not just skillful but physically adapt to the PL.

Not so much their height as their pace, strength, directness and how clinical they are. As a team they are like the Kodak negative of us in every way and they are exactly the sort of team you'd want if you were trying to survive and thrive in the PL on a relative budget. Even mentally they are poles apart from us, when we get a chance our players panic, you can see it means so much to them so they take too many touches or makes a poor decision, when a team like Palace attacks they attack with intent, confidence and they don't hesitate when given half a chance, they have that killer instinct and no fear of failure.  

 

This isn't an I wish we were Palace post,  I'd hate to live in Croydon and I've never met a Palace fan who isn't a complete d1(k, their stadium is rubbish and they've won less major honours than almost every other club in the top two divisions but we could definitely learn some lessons from how they approach things in this era. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Not so much their height as their pace, strength, directness and how clinical they are. As a team they are like the Kodak negative of us in every way and they are exactly the sort of team you'd want if you were trying to survive and thrive in the PL on a relative budget. Even mentally they are poles apart from us, when we get a chance our players panic, you can see it means so much to them so they take too many touches or makes a poor decision, when a team like Palace attacks they attack with intent, confidence and they don't hesitate when given half a chance, they have that killer instinct and no fear of failure.  

 

This isn't an I wish we were Palace post,  I'd hate to live in Croydon and I've never met a Palace fan who isn't a complete d1(k, their stadium is rubbish and they've won less major honours than almost every other club in the top two divisions but we could definitely learn some lessons from how they approach things in this era. 

.... and at home we should have beaten them. Small margins yet again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Us, Villa and Bournemouth. What a waste of a season. 

I think Villa may just get out of this and the **** barons join us with Bournemouth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

It will be interesting to see who comes down with us and how much they spent...........

Not sure what the point of that is.

It doesn't really matter which 2 Clubs get relegated along with us because they will have spent more than us.

For the other 17 PL Clubs, who will have all spent more than us, there will be no relegation.

The simple fact is that the more you spend the more your chances of not getting relegated.

As we will prove in a few weeks time, if you spend nothing then you are almost certain to be relegated.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Us, Bournemouth and Watford go down, Leeds, West Brom and Forest promoted, Sky Sport's wet dream....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Not sure what the point of that is.

It doesn't really matter which 2 Clubs get relegated along with us because they will have spent more than us.

For the other 17 PL Clubs, who will have all spent more than us, there will be no relegation.

The simple fact is that the more you spend the more your chances of not getting relegated.

As we will prove in a few weeks time, if you spend nothing then you are almost certain to be relegated.

 

 

 

Exactly right but it won’t go down well on here. The majority love the way we operate and the less that’s spent the better. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Harry53 said:

Bournemouth look as clueless as we did yesterday. 

Have to say the size of all the players for Crystal Palace is something we could benefit from. Too many times we are hustled off the ball by bigger players. Hopefully in the future we can build a squad who are not just skillful but physically adapt to the PL.

Nail on the head. We're too small. Other teams in the PL have similar skill levels but are bigger 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Not sure what the point of that is.

It doesn't really matter which 2 Clubs get relegated along with us because they will have spent more than us.

For the other 17 PL Clubs, who will have all spent more than us, there will be no relegation.

The simple fact is that the more you spend the more your chances of not getting relegated.

As we will prove in a few weeks time, if you spend nothing then you are almost certain to be relegated.

 

 

 

It reminds me of the Doncaster days, "Prudence with ambition" or more likely we spend as little as possible and anything is a miracle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I will turn this on its head and say if every team spent £100m at the beginning of the season, three of those teams will still be relegated at the end of the season...........

No one was expecting a £100M spend. Maybe even a fifth of that amount on a decent centre half could have made all the difference. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

No one was expecting a £100M spend. Maybe even a fifth of that amount on a decent centre half could have made all the difference. 

He’d be injured 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, for clarity I agree that our low spend has not helped our cause and will be a contributory factor to us getting relegated, if you search this board you will see that I was of the view that the club should have taken a bit of managed risk in its spending, rather than the approach it has taken. I have seen no evidence offered yet that directly correlates to the three clubs that spend the least getting relegated each year, my own quick piece of "back of a fag packet" analysis would suggest it is not necessarily the case. A good example of that would be the three teams that went down last season were not the three lowest spenders (Fulham were in fact the second highest spenders). This season, Norwich aside, the two teams that come down with us will not be the second and third lowest spenders and there is a possibility for the second season running a team that has spent in excess of £100M will get relegated. My £100M comment was not about the amount of money Norwich should have spent, it was making the very simple point that if all 20 Premier League clubs started from the same point and they all spent exactly the same amount on players (£100m), three of those clubs will still be relegated at the end of the season, so we would have to look beyond just the financial outlay and see what other contributory factors there were that led to those three teams being relegated......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would an 'average senior squad wage' figure be a better barometer of the ability the attract the calibre of player required to avoid relegation? Without consulting any figures or accounts, I'd hazard a guess we're 20th in both average wage & incoming transfer outlay for the division. The players deservedly got rewarded for their achievements last season with improved contracts. We took a punt on going with what we had along with the incoming Fahrmann, Byram, Drmic, Roberts & Amadou for an immediate impact. Fahrmann may have helped to push Krul & was mighty unfortunate to get crocked when his chance came. Byram has looked solid, but has some injury issues. Drmic has never got a run of games, but also has injury issues. Roberts was fairly disastrous and Amadou looked unable to meet the standard, although he also arguably never got a fair crack of the whip.

If we do somehow get some momentum going again next season and come straight back up, will there still be no funds available to strengthen the spine of the team? We're already being told by Webber & co that the club faces a financial hole of 20/30m, despite promotion & parachute payments. Wages must be huge by our standards, and we still can't compete or acquire the players required. "It's all just a little bit of history repeating..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, paddycanary said:

Would an 'average senior squad wage' figure be a better barometer of the ability the attract the calibre of player required to avoid relegation? 

Definitely. If every club spent £100m on transfer fees, then it would come down to wage bill. I mentioned in another thread yesterday that wage bill is generally seen as the biggest indicator of financial muscle and investment, which in turn is a good indication of the strength of the playing squad, as player wages are directly linked to their ability, with very few exceptions.

The correlation between wage bill and success is much greater than transfer fee spend and success. Otherwise, Chelsea would've been struggling this season and Tottenham would've been last year, as they didn't spend a penny on transfer fees. Their league positions are/were accurately reflected by their wage bill, however.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I will turn this on its head and say if every team spent £100m at the beginning of the season, three of those teams will still be relegated at the end of the season...........

That is true.

However, if 19 teams spend £100m each and the other team spends nothing then for them 20th position is almost a given.

We were, rightly or wrongly, pinning all our hopes on the squad we had being good enough to finish 17th.

This, despite our blatently obvious defensive issues in the Championship, was a massive gamble that always was likely fail.

We decided to wing it and hope for a miracle.

 

Edited by Making Plans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...