Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Us, Bournemouth and one other

20 hours ago, Indy said:

I hope it’s both Villa and a West Ham, just to stick two fingers up at the cheating Villa and Brady with her no chance of staying up without spending millions! Funny to see West Ham come down too!

She wasn’t wrong was she?

The amount Villa spent, not just this season but in the last couple - and I'm not sure they can defend better than us 

3 hours ago, Making Plans said:

However, if 19 teams spend £100m each and the other team spends nothing then for them 20th position is almost a given.

I'm not sure I agree. If 19 sides spend £100m and the 20th side is Liverpool, Liverpool are not going to finish 20th, are they?

If your squad is good enough to begin with, you don't need to improve. 

4 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I'm not sure I agree. If 19 sides spend £100m and the 20th side is Liverpool, Liverpool are not going to finish 20th, are they?

Exactly. People miss these things. How much would it have cost for us to buy Aaron's Lewis Cantwell and Buendia right now?

4 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Quite right, but the other 100s of millions spent in previous seasons would have helped them.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Exactly. People miss these things. How much would it have cost for us to buy Aaron's Lewis Cantwell and Buendia right now?

What a crap argument not to spend to improve.

It was a gamble and it didn't come off. I don't believe we were a million miles away from really making a go of it.

The defensive injury crisis played a major part, and VAR- through video assisted meddling we quite probaby would have beaten Spurs, Arsenal and Palace over a 30 day period and gone into the New Year well in the fight.

Pukki going bust by Christmas really hurt us after it looked like he had the PL sussed. And whilst we proved last year that price tag doesn't a good player prove, getting a 0% strike rate for the summer signings was both unlikely and very damaging.

Regardless of all that though, it was maybe too big a gamble in the circumstances. We relied on a bit too much going our way.

I think it is reasonable to say that we should have spent more, but the key is not the amount but on who, it has to be on players that improve the squad and have a resale value. Loan signings again need to be players that both add something and are likely to feature. I do not believe the answer lies with just spending shed loads, it is no guarantee, well certainly was not for Fulham and it may not be for Aston Villa. The factors behind teams being relegated are a mixture of the amount of investment, investment of the wrong players, injuries, tactics, luck etc. As you can tell I do not buy into the argument it is just about money. And I still think it will be interesting to see who gets relegated with us. I am not trying to defend the way we have gone about our business, I am one of those who feels are transfer policy has been poor, we are not a terrible side but it is clear we lack quality in key areas and strength in depth. For me it will still be interesting to see who comes down with us, potentially it could be a more "established" team or one that has spent shed loads, and that demonstrates the conundrum all teams that get promoted to the Premier League have to address and solve, it as an easy one to solve from the stands, not so easy when you are the one that actually has to make all the decisions.......

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

Villa , West Ham and Bournemouth losing ...Watford draw.

Can't complain about other results this weekend but what a missed opportunity .

Still cant understand what the hell that was all about on Friday.

How different would the table look now....

It's the hope that kills you.  Just think what might happen if we win Wednesday ...........  I can't take it .....

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

That is true but Liverpool will never be a Club that spends nothing.

Even with their already strong squad they are not that stupid.

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

What a crap argument not to spend to improve.

We did spend. We spent and risked fees earlier on with the likes of Maddison, Aaron's, Buendia and Lewis.

Ironically, if we didnt have Buendia last season and paid 20 mill for him this season you would be happier.

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We did spend. We spent and risked fees earlier on with the likes of Maddison, Aaron's, Buendia and Lewis.

Ironically, if we didnt have Buendia last season and paid 20 mill for him this season you would be happier.

So if Leeds comes up they just price up the players that have got them there and pretend they are new signings for next season ? 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

So if Leeds comes up they just price up the players that have got them there and pretend they are new signings for next season ? 

God knows. Our owners got us to the prem how many times? There's are STILL yet to do it.. 

God knows. Our owners got us to the prem how many times? There's are STILL yet to do it.. 

I think it’s 4 with 2 instant relegations which is about to be 3. Some are very happy with that achievement and others look at what could have been. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

I think it’s 4 with 2 instant relegations which is about to be 3. Some are very happy with that achievement and others look at what could have been. 

For our size club we've out performed more than we've underperformed - comparatively speaking. And we've done that despite having no money.

For our size club we've out performed more than we've underperformed - comparatively speaking. And we've done that despite having no money.

That’s the issue though isn’t it ? 6 seasons of Sky money in the top flight and parachute payments galore and we are still skint. 

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Imagine what we could have achieved with a bit of cash?

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Imagine what we could have achieved with a bit of cash?

Better, or worse. Who knows? If we had the same owners but they fell into a billion pounds we could say the chances are we would do better but different owners? Theres such a long list of richer owners that have achieved so much less I'm not confident.

I think other rich clubs in the chumps should hire our owners as consultants on how to get out of the championship. They seem pretty good at it.

1 hour ago, Darth Canary1 said:

I think other rich clubs in the chumps should hire our owners as consultants on how to get out of the championship. They seem pretty good at it.

They're also pretty good at getting back into it

• Like 1

Why have the multiple owners of championship clubs such as Forest, Wednesday and Derby, never managed to get a sniff of the PL while we continually get promoted? Or are you guys saying it's so easy with our club that any of those owners could have done it here?

What is so special about our club that makes it keep happening?

6 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Why have the multiple owners of championship clubs such as Forest, Wednesday and Derby, never managed to get a sniff of the PL while we continually get promoted? Or are you guys saying it's so easy with our club that any of those owners could have done it here?

What is so special about our club that makes it keep happening?

Poor scouting. We are lucky to have a good scouting system in current times. That was the difference. We were never backed to go up. 

last time we went up, we had Jerome, Hooper, Grabban and Redmond banging them in.

the time before that, we had a team riding momentum from league one, with a management team that they would run through a brick wall for.

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Poor scouting. We are lucky to have a good scouting system in current times. That was the difference. We were never backed to go up. 

last time we went up, we had Jerome, Hooper, Grabban and Redmond banging them in.

the time before that, we had a team riding momentum from league one, with a management team that they would run through a brick wall for.

So we were lucky then. I guess that means those other sides with their multiple proper types of owners were unlucky that they came up against our lucky season. But they'll be ok this season won't they?

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

So we were lucky then. I guess that means those other sides with their multiple proper types of owners were unlucky that they came up against our lucky season. But they'll be ok this season won't they?

Why? Have they changed their scouting teams?

1 minute ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Why? Have they changed their scouting teams?

Probably not unless they've suddenly found the insight of following our example.

I guess they need to find the common denominator of our lucky seasons.

As with probably every other club we've been at our best when we've put the right people in charge- the only shame is we, as Webber has said, 'pissed money up the wall' by backing the wrong managers. 

Give Farke/Webber the budget we gave to Hughton or Neil and I think we've got a decent chance of staying up. This would still have made us one of the lowest spenders in the league and it shouldn't be beyond us to make that happen.