Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

The anger of the modern football fan

I haven't ventured too far into social media since Danny Ings' shot hit the back of the net last night, but just far enough to get a feeling for the vitriol and scapegoating which accompanies every bad defeat. (I excuse criticism which is truly funny - Darren Eadie, I think it was Darren Eadie - describing Josip Drmic on Canary Call as being 'as much use out there as an Ikea wardrobe', was great).

Back to the point - I feel bitter disappointment and maybe a little bit of 'if only we had done things differently', but I don't feel and anger or resentment on any personal level. City have come up short, no doubts, and some poor decisions have been made, but in my mind this does not translate into a cause to personally criticise Daniel, Delia / Michael, Jamal, Todd, Max, Ben, Tom, Kenny or even Josip. 

As the biting criticism is social media-led it is fair to assume much of it comes from young or very young supporters. Where will it lead?

• Like 2

There also some of the how you say senior( in age anyway) who are not happy  too. That's their prerogative.  I wont join in . This was never going to be easy , but the intention to spend as little as possible was clear. No one hoodwinked us. I totally agree with you Pugino...apart from the age of the whiners. 

• Like 1

I think a football club is something a City should be proud of and when acceptance of second best or an acceptance of just being glad to be there rather than competing, becomes part of the culture, it will never give that City history on a scale such as Leicester City did... It's fair to assume much of that lack of ambition and energy comes from the old or very old supporters. We unfortunately know we're it leads....

Edited by Kenny Foggo
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pugin said:

As the biting criticism is social media-led it is fair to assume much of it comes from young or very young supporters. Where will it lead?

I'm not sure that's completely fair. Most of the serial Facebook moaners on the club's official page seem to come from the middle-aged or older generations.

I think the common denominator regarding the propensity for excessive and vicious rage is brain capacity rather than age.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's always the same people. Year in, year out.

It's always the same outcome year in year out when we get promoted.....

• Like 1

I don't think promotion has anything or little to do with it. Simply when City lose you can guarantee who will be angrily shouting away on here or other social media.

• Like 1

The problem is that far too many look for individuals to scapegoat, forgetting that football is a team game....fact is, they are all in it together and were all pretty ordinary.  The idea that we’d be fired up and hit the ground running sadly went right out of the window after 15 minutes when we melted away and played just like a bottom of the table side, which is something we’ve seen only a few times this season.

You can’t blame injuries for the way we played, it was right through the side - giving the ball away, not tackling back, being out of position, the list of faults for each goal conceded is long, and we are running out of chances. 

28 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I think a football club is something a City should be proud of and when acceptance of second best or an acceptance of just being glad to be there rather than competing, becomes part of the culture, it will never give that City history on a scale such as Leicester City did... It's fair to assume much of that lack of ambition and energy comes from the old or very old supporters. We unfortunately know we're it leads....

Well, I haven't seen a shred of evidence that these younger supporters have the gumption to do anything about it. 

It takes no gumption to whinge and whine on here from behind a keyboard.

16 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Well, I haven't seen a shred of evidence that these younger supporters have the gumption to do anything about it. 

It takes no gumption to whinge and whine on here from behind a keyboard.

I haven't seen a shred of evidence that the owners are willing to sell... It takes no gumption to accept their failure in the premier league and to think no one else could do better.... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

'hambition' and an 'hinvestor' that’s e whats we need

get a ground as big as the Stadium of Light, spend the kind of money like as what Villa. ......we can cope with debt...look at our successful neighbours

get someone like Brighton have got and we could be just as successful like thems at

....Stoke, Swansea, Boro, Huddersfield. Cardiff, Reading, Hull, Blackburn - even Blackpool or Bolton are

instead we waste other people's money on new changing rooms at Colney, and stupid flag things to cover up the empty seats

we can't even afford ball boys or stewards ..... and what happened to playing Man Utd in the cup. eh ?

the club have gone quiet about that 'h'aint they ?

and those two old codgers Delia and (no) Wyn didn't even bother to turn up

the club is a shambles

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

get a ground as big as the Stadium of Light, spend the kind of money like as what Villa. ......we can cope with debt...look at our successful neighbours

get someone like Brighton have got and we could be just as successful like thems at

....Stoke, Swansea, Boro, Huddersfield. Cardiff, Reading, Hull, Blackburn - even Blackpool or Bolton are

instead we waste other people's money on new changing rooms at Colney, and stupid flag things to cover up the empty seats

we can't even afford ball boys or stewards ..... and what happened to playing Man Utd in the cup. eh ?

the club is a shambles

Hhilarious

• Haha 1

I think everyone feels better the next day. But at the time there are some natural angry people. Anger at the loss. Anger that after so long the game was so poor. Anger that their heroes just aren't as good as they thought they were.

I said it so many times last night but we aren't good enough for the EPL. No-ones fault overall. Just a fact of football. Obviously there were many things we as viewers could see was wrong and didn't understand DF's decision making but apart from Krul, the outfield players looked a fortnight behind Southampton. It was as if the first 15 minutes had knackered them. That wasn't good. If you aren't fit enough you are sluggish and virtually everyone was.

Heads up, we go again and hope we redeem that performance if little else.

2 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I haven't seen a shred of evidence that the owners are willing to sell... It takes no gumption to accept their failure in the premier league and to think no one else could do better.... 

Well, one of the very old posters had a season ticket for St Andrew's Hall. It needs some younger whippersnappers to take it on...

Or just whinge and whine on here blaming everyone else...

3 hours ago, Pugin said:

I haven't ventured too far into social media since Danny Ings' shot hit the back of the net last night, but just far enough to get a feeling for the vitriol and scapegoating which accompanies every bad defeat. (I excuse criticism which is truly funny - Darren Eadie, I think it was Darren Eadie - describing Josip Drmic on Canary Call as being 'as much use out there as an Ikea wardrobe', was great).

Back to the point - I feel bitter disappointment and maybe a little bit of 'if only we had done things differently', but I don't feel and anger or resentment on any personal level. City have come up short, no doubts, and some poor decisions have been made, but in my mind this does not translate into a cause to personally criticise Daniel, Delia / Michael, Jamal, Todd, Max, Ben, Tom, Kenny or even Josip. 

Scapegoating 😂😂😂

7 hours ago, Bill said:

the club is a shambles

Quite a bit gets directed at Bill as well but this is a great dig at all the usual suspects who only exist to moan about the club they claim to support. 

Can’t believe what was reported during last night’s commentary Pick that NCFC had bought every room in the Holiday Inn that overlooked the pitch.

Were the KGB or FBI behind this move 

I don't give a **** if we lose, I support us regardless... but when we don't bother to turn up and play the tepid, gutless **** we did last night I don't have any problem with people criticising the players' performance. I just want to see the players go out there and give a damn. If we're not good enough, then fine, we're not good enough. I am laissez-faire about relegation, but I would like to go down with a bit of integrity, and last night there was not one player who looked like they cared except Krul, and Onel when he came on. The rest of them were awful and if people want to tell them so then that's fine, they deserved it. As long as it's the performance being criticised, and not personal abuse then they reap what they sow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellow Kiwi said:

Quite a bit gets directed at Bill as well but this is a great dig at all the usual suspects who only exist to moan about the club they claim to support. 

No one doubts his intelligence. Just his credibility as a human. Coward and liar.

I don't feel anger at the moment which is worse imo than the apathetic depressive acceptance me and most fans have right now. We're really trying, we're being run as well as we can, everyone involved genuinely cares but we are just so lacking in finance, quality, height, strength, pace, experience, squad depth and all the other intangibles that tend to bring results. It's not like most other era's where it was clear players didn't care, the manager was clueless, or out of his depth, or an unlikeable ****, we didn't own our own players, the strategy was overly negative or the whole set up was obviously wrong etc. Those times I felt angry because I felt change was needed and the powers that be were sticking their heads in the sand or avoiding difficult decisions and it was much more bearable because it felt like we had a solution, or at the very lease some positive change was obvious. 

Now, it's like, what do you do? We don't have the budget to change the squad around, a new manager wouldn't get anymore out of these players, the strategy led by Webber makes total sense for a club like ours and no one is queueing up to buy the club from our owners and it's all thoroughly depressing not being able to compete in this league under these circumstances and knowing that even if we get promoted next year, we're just gonna struggle again. 

I get the sense that most of our fans in this modern era are just so over all this. It's not anger, it's more like we're just all fed up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pugin said:

Are you suggesting it’s impossible to ‘bitingly criticise’ anywhere other than social media? If you don’t look at social media then the criticism is no more social-media led than it is normally pub-led. 

There is clearly a difference between anger/moaning and analysing where things are going wrong. Lots of good posts and threads on here with those assessments showing anger but also restraint. Some people are  just less able to put their own thoughts into a cogent way and that can come across badly. Then there are indeed some who just vent angrily, make sweeping generalisations and create "noise". Sadly that latter group is there in all aspects of society, but football is more prone to it because of the emotion of following a team and its high profile. We are an eclectic species, and in a free and diverse society people can express their frustrations. Best just to ignore it and find the debates that one enjoys and values. Lots of wheat amongst the chaff!

People have always been angry at the football but have no doubt, social media is cancerous. Delete your social media if you don’t want to end up mentally ill.