TeemuVanBasten

Klose.... unfit or finished?

19 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

As per title really.

Looked dreadfully poor.

I just remember how quickly Michael Turner went downhill after one injury too far. 

Hope this is a case of rustiness and needing to catch up on fitness, rather than him just being done.

Anybody else notice how poor he was and question this?

The good thing is, he is being blooded back in at premiership level, ready for next season. He will be fine. Class is permanent...

18 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Nobody played well yesterday, but defensively Godfrey looked like he got in at 6am  from a night out and hadn't gone to bed yet. Lewis seemed back to his reluctant ways from earlier in the season and Max never got going. The midfield lost the plot after about 15 minutes and the ball wouldn't stick up top so the pressure became relentless.

On top of that, first start in over a year and first Premier League since 2016 and you have to say it was unlikely Timm was going to look brilliant. But I'd much rather have a CB playing at CB where possible.

Agreed. The defence was exposed by a non existent defensive midfield. I know that we like a fall guy but there was not one person to blame. I would have liked Tetty to have protected the CBs.

Once he shakes off the obvious rustiness from not having played a competitive game for 18 months, Timm Klose will one again become our best CD and one our better players in the team. 

Fingers crossed he stays fit (not just for this seasons ending)

I did put on another thread that I think Godfrey is hugely overrated. Even worse I think he now believes his own hype and thinks he is as good as Rio Ferdinand at his peak (ironically).

He looks class and can appear majestic bringing the ball out and he also has great pace. But he’s not very good at actually defending! Poor at set pieces and we know he is so fast as most the time he is rushing back to catch up with a forward after he has made a mistake.

The Fact that a Klose who hasn’t played for months was better than him and the way Redmond just embarrassed him sums up his defensive ability.

Sadly, of all our young stars he’d be the one I’d be happy to let go.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I was reading this thread and I thought ' well, I do wonder who he would play, and where, sooooo, being a fully paid up inquisitive so and so, i'll ask. '  . I dunno.

And just like that.

Silence.

Time and time again we find ourselves in this position. Did you expect them to actually back something up? One day, they might.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Sider said:

And just like that.

Silence.

Time and time again we find ourselves in this position. Did you expect them to actually back something up? One day, they might.

Hey Sidero, I expect he'll come back at some time, claiming he had more Important things to do than answer the likes of me.  I was genuinely interested though, mainly because in his previous posts in several threads he had given his verdict on a lot of the first team, most werent up to scratch, the Devil in me, especially after the Idah/Martin comment, just had to ask the question. What really cracked me up was someone comparing his posts to Foghorn Leghorn. ........' Boy, I say Boy'

On 20/06/2020 at 19:39, wcorkcanary said:

You writing Pukki off as well then or do we play them all at once?  So who makes up the rest of the team then , given your previous comments . What is your Ideal starting line up, bearing in mind what you have already written. I am genuinely interested.

Bump.good morningFoghorn Leghorn - Wikipedia

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

I genuinely believe our back four aren’t that bad, our central midfield is diabolical at times, this is where we lack cover on any runners, they drop far too deep putting more pressure on the back line and lose positions easily.

Blaming all our defensive players is the option but reality is playing two holding players who aren’t that good is like playing with 10 men at times.

Edited by Indy

On 21/06/2020 at 12:16, rock bus said:

I did put on another thread that I think Godfrey is hugely overrated. Even worse I think he now believes his own hype and thinks he is as good as Rio Ferdinand at his peak (ironically).

He looks class and can appear majestic bringing the ball out and he also has great pace. But he’s not very good at actually defending! Poor at set pieces and we know he is so fast as most the time he is rushing back to catch up with a forward after he has made a mistake.

The Fact that a Klose who hasn’t played for months was better than him and the way Redmond just embarrassed him sums up his defensive ability.

Sadly, of all our young stars he’d be the one I’d be happy to let go.

There's something in that, but rather over-stated I feel.

If we are cut adrift with, say, three games to go this season and are effectively playing it out I would like to see Godfrey tried as that central defensive midfielder, preferably alongside Tettey against PL standard midfielders order to try to help settle this thing once and for all. Farke seems stuck in cement over the matter though, but a bit of experimentation wouldn't go amiss.

I presume Famewo is available in these unusual times so it would be as good a time as any to wet his feet, alongside Klose.

In Coaching Parlance , BG " throws good shapes ". That is ,he looks great but actually isn't as good as he may appear.  It's almost as if he's method acting, has studied hard for a movie  , exactly  how some top defenders  moved ,run  and position their  bodies  when distributing the ball. His last ditch tackling is ok  but his  'standing up' of attackers and general defensive positioning is poor imo. He's  still pretty young so it may yet all fall into place for him.  As for giving him a go in DCM, why not?:as suggested above, if we are down with games to spare , what harm. I suspect however that he has already been studied in this position by the coaching staff and  found  wanting.

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

In Coaching Parlance , BG " throws good shapes ". That is ,he looks great but actually isn't as good as he may appear.  It's almost as if he's method acting, has studied hard for a movie  , exactly  how some top defenders  moved ,run  and position their  bodies  when distributing the ball. His last ditch tackling is ok  but his  'standing up' of attackers and general defensive positioning is poor imo. He's  still pretty young so it may yet all fall into place for him.  As for giving him a go in DCM, why not?:as suggested above, if we are down with games to spare , what harm. I suspect however that he has already been studied in this position by the coaching staff and  found  wanting.

Think that's a valid explanation and probably bit fairer than my own previous one. 

He certainly 'looks the part' but has a lot to learn (and quite quickly now). I'm certainly not blaming him for our current predicaments and all our defensive woes, but he is certainly part of it and I'd have been happier with Hanley or Zimmerman in his place (especially now when we need some more blood and guts style resolute defending).