TeemuVanBasten

Klose.... unfit or finished?

As per title really.

Looked dreadfully poor.

I just remember how quickly Michael Turner went downhill after one injury too far. 

Hope this is a case of rustiness and needing to catch up on fitness, rather than him just being done.

Anybody else notice how poor he was and question this?

Just now, Herman said:

He hasn't played for nearly a year.

There is really no mystery there. He needs time and we don't have it.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He had a serious injury the likes of which many players never fully recover from and hasent played in almost a year.

What do you think the answer is?

And to go beyond that, he hasn't played more than five minutes of a league game since New Year's Day 2019, when he scored against Brentford. The appearance against Crawley was his only start since then.

So bearing all that in mind, wouldn’t it have been better to play someone else/ease him back?  I’d have thought it better to play a fully fit player out of position rather someone running at 50%, given that we have 10 games to play in 6 weeks

Personally, I thought he played better than Godfrey... The reason we conceded three goals was that our fullbacks kept getting caught out of position and the midfield offered the exposed CBs no protection. 

Better defenders than Godfrey and Klose are going to be made to look like donkeys when they play in the prem with no support. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Personally, I thought he played better than Godfrey... The reason we conceded three goals was that our fullbacks kept getting caught out of position and the midfield offered the exposed CBs no protection. 

Better defenders than Godfrey and Klose are going to be made to look like donkeys when they play in the prem with no support. 

Agree with all of this.

19 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

So bearing all that in mind, wouldn’t it have been better to play someone else/ease him back?  I’d have thought it better to play a fully fit player out of position rather someone running at 50%, given that we have 10 games to play in 6 weeks

Like who?

We’ve got 4 centre backs none of whom are Premiership standard plus one who in the last 10 years has spent his career on loan with the likes of Dover, Sittingbourne Lincoln

The guy hasnt started a game of football for 18 months. It's impossible to know what level of football he is now at without him having a good run of games to re-find form and fitness as part of his recovery.

It is the epitome of 'knee-jerk' to be asking this type of question after one game.

Give him time and judge him after a fair period.

Im a big fan of Timm and I hope he can be a force for us again next season

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I just remember how quickly Michael Turner went downhill after one injury too far.

I take your point, but it's interesting you have cited Turner as an example, as he was the player I also thought of in terms of writing off players after one performance.

I remember Turner's debut. 5-0 loss to Fulham on opening day I believe. He was poor in that game in a poor defence which was soon bolstered by Bassong and Garrido (or was it Olsson?) and Turner slowly came to form and formed a very formidable partnership with Bassong. 

But after that first appearence many were happy to write him off.

Of course, some players were written off after one bad performance (Theoklitos anyone?)

4 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I take your point, but it's interesting you have cited Turner as an example, as he was the player I also thought of in terms of writing off players after one performance.

I remember Turner's debut. 5-0 loss to Fulham on opening day I believe. He was poor in that game in a poor defence which was soon bolstered by Bassong and Garrido (or was it Olsson?) and Turner slowly came to form and formed a very formidable partnership with Bassong. 

But after that first appearence many were happy to write him off.

Of course, some players were written off after one bad performance (Theoklitos anyone?)

Take your point about this being his first game back. 

Although it was more like a first month for Turner being terrible.

People on here wrote Hanley off after a couple of games this season but last night I'd rather have had him in the XI than Klose. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

32 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Agree with all of this.

Like who?

Tettey, play a back three, use an u23 player..there’s always options - I mean, what do we do if there’s an injury, play with 10? Tbh, if anything, I personally ‘blame’ the set up and m/f more than anything yesterday. 

If his body manages to stand up to 9 games in fairly quick sucession then it will stand him and the squad in good stead for next season. He didn't look any worse than our other defenders to be fair, collectively they are a shambles though.

What worries me is if Godfrey goes we are left with a bunch of crocks and we'll probably need 2 maybe 3 more as backup.

Nobody played well yesterday, but defensively Godfrey looked like he got in at 6am  from a night out and hadn't gone to bed yet. Lewis seemed back to his reluctant ways from earlier in the season and Max never got going. The midfield lost the plot after about 15 minutes and the ball wouldn't stick up top so the pressure became relentless.

On top of that, first start in over a year and first Premier League since 2016 and you have to say it was unlikely Timm was going to look brilliant. But I'd much rather have a CB playing at CB where possible.

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

Nobody played well yesterday, but defensively Godfrey looked like he got in at 6am  from a night out and hadn't gone to bed yet. Lewis seemed back to his reluctant ways from earlier in the season and Max never got going. The midfield lost the plot after about 15 minutes and the ball wouldn't stick up top so the pressure became relentless.

On top of that, first start in over a year and first Premier League since 2016 and you have to say it was unlikely Timm was going to look brilliant. But I'd much rather have a CB playing at CB where possible.

I actually can't think of a single player that I consider to have had a good game yesterday. 

Idah looked bright when he came on, that's about it.

May as well play him and Josh Martin until the end of the season if they look like they are up for it. 

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

May as well play him and Josh Martin until the end of the season if they look like they are up for it. 

You writing Pukki off as well then or do we play them all at once?  So who makes up the rest of the team then , given your previous comments . What is your Ideal starting line up, bearing in mind what you have already written. I am genuinely interested.

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

As per title really.

Looked dreadfully poor.

Hope this is a case of rustiness and needing to catch up on fitness, rather than him just being done.

Anybody else notice how poor he was and question this?

I noticed he was about twice as good as Godfrey, who is supposedly worth £50m......

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I actually can't think of a single player that I consider to have had a good game yesterday. 

Idah looked bright when he came on, that's about it.

Aaron's was decent.

11 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You writing Pukki off as well then or do we play them all at once?  So who makes up the rest of the team then , given your previous comments . What is your Ideal starting line up, bearing in mind what you have already written. I am genuinely interested.

Looking forward to this...

6 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Looking forward to this...

Are you though? Be honest.

• Haha 1

There is nothing wrong with any of our defenders. You could put the Liverpool back 4 in this team and still get relegated. It's the 6 players in front of them that constantly lose the ball in their own half that cause the problem 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

People on here wrote Hanley off after a couple of games this season but last night I'd rather have had him in the XI than Klose. 

Including you, who likened him to a donkey.

Maybe we can show the same patience to a player whose been injured all season.

I get a Foghorn Leghorn vibe from many of your posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Looking forward to this

I was reading this thread and I thought ' well, I do wonder who he would play, and where, sooooo, being a fully paid up inquisitive so and so, i'll ask. '  . I dunno.

This is why you p*** so many people off op - it's always negative with you - in this case a double negative - "unfit or finished" with no understanding for the guy's position.   He is fit - actually Farke has said he is extremely fit - and he is certainly not "finished" and almost certainly just needs match time to get fully up to speed and confidence.  Give him a break!

Omg so many negative postings here. Tim admitted he didn't play well and is a bit rusty. 

Finished?  Who knows he hasn't played for a year.  Unfit? Probably.

Give him a break for Christ sake 

Anyone would look poor along side Godfrey, can’t see anybody paying a big fee for him. I wish they would at least give him a try at DM,  too late now he’s all we’ve got left