cambridgeshire canary

Anybody else looking forward to the Championship next season?

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

How have you translated me asking who into sound as though there were none ?

You’ll definitely get an answer ! 

22 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

If Fleetwood don't get promoted it will be none for me.

Brentford if they don’t go up will be one we’ll all need to do

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

How have you translated me asking who into sound as though there were none ?

Interpreting your words to suit what I want to post. The same way you translated me saying it was more than one....

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

As I've said on other threads recently, being 'fearless' is much-vaunted but it's only a short hop from 'nonchalant'. Maybe if there was more at stake we'd have a bit more fire when things didn't go the right way.

I believe that is very much true. It was like a free hit in Cricket. If we stay up then maybe next but this season was go with what you have and no tears if we go down with a few bob more than other clubs.

Yes - and like I said, we all kind of knew that and were good with it as supporters. "Let's give it a go and see what happens" was pretty much everyone's opinion. Well we did, and we're going down, as expected.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Interpreting your words to suit what I want to post. The same way you translated me saying it was more than one....

Actually they are saying it again now... 

That looks like more than one to me.

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Actually they are saying it again now... 

That looks like more than one to me.

Or one of those who were saying it.

Who ?

That looks like you didn't believe there were any to me.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You’ll definitely get an answer ! 

Never fails to disappoint and he hasn't.

29 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Or one of those who were saying it.

Who ?

That looks like you didn't believe there were any to me.

You stating  'they' looked like you were trying to make it look more than one which is why i asked who when in fact you could only come up with DCB. He was the only one i saw and therefore thought i had missed others but maybe not from your following responses ?

Edited by TIL 1010

15 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You stating  'they' looked like you were trying to make it look more than one which is why i asked who when in fact you could only come up with DCB. He was the only one i saw and therefore thought i had missed others but maybe not from your following responses ?

You hadn't seen Bootsies effort. If you had you would have asked who else. Not who.

I didn't look for anymore. There may be? It was a common rant last season and there were a load of rants after the game yesterday....

Anyway, while you're here, how long do you reckon Delia and wynnie have been supporting Norwich? My guess is at least 100 years between them...

Edited by nutty nigel

16 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Anyway, while you're here, how long do you reckon Delia and wynnie have been supporting Norwich? My guess is at least 100 years between them...

Delia is 79 and MWJ 81 which makes a total of 160 between them so if your guess is that they have been supporting 100 years between them looks like they are Johnny Come Lately's.

17 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Delia is 79 and MWJ 81 which makes a total of 160 between them so if your guess is that they have been supporting 100 years between them looks like they are Johnny Come Lately's.

At least.

Or one of them is a new kid in town..

Edited by nutty nigel

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I’m not arguing for or against Nutty, but the truth is money wins the tittle

Exactly and there in a mere eight words you've perfectly summed up one of the major reasons why the EPL is such a sterile, uninteresting and ultimately almost pointless league, other than to Sky who make a fortune out of it.

The reason that I, and by the sound of it quite a few others, prefer to watch Championship football is not a lack of ambition but a desire to watch genuinely competitive and entertaining proper football in a league which year after year, and indeed week by week, throws up surprise results - in complete contrast to the Premiership which is tediously predictable.

A league in which a good coach and some astute signings can win the title - in other words a proper competitive football league whose primary audience is real fans inside the grounds.

Others clearly are attracted by the marketing schtick of Sky and the football reality TV show they produce, and that would be fine if the EPL and the real football leagues were distinct and separate instead of being interlinked. Not sure if it will ever happen but IMO the only healthy solution is for the top 4 to 6 clubs in the EPL to **** off into a European Super League, scrap the EPL and let the rest of us return to a proper league structure which coherently connects all the levels from the top to the glass roots. The Manchesters, Liverpool & a few of the London teams can be on the telly every week to satisfy their global fanbase and the rest of us can concentrate on watching some proper football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I'm going to revise my combined guess to at least 115 years.

Wonder how many Broady has...

Edited by nutty nigel

Wynnie outstrips us all, but I mentioned "her" actually ie. Delia, ie the person quoted in the Times article.

I'm about the same as you. So we win. I did start very young though and it was reserve games only, which was my old man's dictat. He went to every game possible.

The binners have often liked to taunt us on their forum because of the fact Delia was originally an 1p5swich Town fan.They even frequently post a photograph of her in one of their club's shirts.

We realise that she switched allegiances upon marriage ...but she's still put in a commendable stint.

A pity that this piece of trivia has derailed the points made about the proposed succession and the negative effect that, in my opinion, it may likely have upon the club's future.

Actually, I'm broadly in favour of the way the club is being run, from a financial point of view, at the moment, but I don't feel that many would deny that a bit more investment wouldn't go amiss as our way seems to define the level at which we will play at by virtually creating a glass ceiling which inhibits ambition.

Nevermind, we'll be one of the Championship's rich boys next season. This means we should not struggle at the least and it's a bloody awful league when you're struggling, as we found out in the Roeder, Grant, Gunn seasons.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Broady, that's another load of old tripe. You reckon you weren't trying to make it anti Delia and then make out she's a binner. 

I take it you're referring to the swap shop episode in 1978. But she'd been a city fan for many years before that. 

So when was your first game buddy? And why are you doing this? She doesn't deserve it...

I have often read, perhaps only on TWTD, that Delia Smith once had leaning towards Ipswich. So what if what if she did? I wouldn't  have a clue or a care about it. I merely pointed out that posters on TWTD. have often claimed this. I'm totally ignorant of the Swap Shop episode that they (not me) apparently refer to. I never once watched that programme. More likely is that she had little interest in football then until she met Wynne-Jones rather than "switched allegiance," as they claim. Lesson learned:"Don't believe everything you read on a football forum," no matter how trivial and unimportant.

I did, more significantly, praise the "shift" she had put in as a City supporter.

What is it she doesn't exactly deserve? I have merely pointed out that I'm not particularly over the moon about her plans for the club when she eventually retires. I feel many others would go along with this view as it is clear that the club will need more investment than her bequest offers (perhaps in the way I suggested) to go forward otherwise there is a possibility that even our current status as a yo-yo club might be looked back fondly as a pinnacle of success whilst we settle for Championship mediocrity, or eventually worse, and the club loses money on an annual basis.

As I said before, I sway with the wind as far as Delia goes. She has many far more extreme critics on this forum than I will ever be. She's been good for our club overall, but she's not been perfect and, over the years some of her decisions have been poor. The "take it or leave it stance" has particularly rankled me, but you chose to make this out as a head on attack, with some inaccuracy,** that victimises her. 

**eg. Quote, "You make out she's a binner," in the current tense nb, when I did no such thing.

Re: your question....my first game was when I was eight years old and it was against Tottenham reserves. As I pointed out, my father, who was one of the keenest City fans that I have ever met was anxious to indoctrinate me at an early age but considered, in the days of standing, reserve games more suitable for one so young.

I remember being confused by the fact that we played Spurs reserves but never their first team and why we were in a different league from the latter, little realising that this would be a prize that would take years to achieve.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Re: your question....my first game was when I was eight years old and it was against Tottenham reserves. As I pointed out, my father, who was one of the keenest City fans that I have ever met was anxious to indoctrinate me at an early age but considered, in the days of standing, reserve games more suitable for one so young.

I remember being confused by the fact that we played Spurs reserves but never their first team and why we were in a different league from the latter, little realising that this would be a prize that would take years to achieve.

That's a lovely story BroadstairsR. 👍

I was 9 when I first started going; a 3-1 loss to Watford. I didn't have a clue what was going on...I still don't to be honest...

OTBC

My aim is not to resurrect the Delia/Ipswich thing NN but I've had a bit of time to do a bit of digging (tee-off 8.30 at last) and found this whole article quite a fascinating read.

https://duncansteer.wordpress.com/2011/09/25/yokel-heroes-the-norwich-ipswich-derby/

A lot of it is news to me for being an exile before the days of the internet it was easier to lose touch with the finer politic of our local rivalry and, indeed, the history of it in general .... some of which is also the result of memory loss with age.

That Phil Ham has a lot to say for himself.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

What is it she doesn't exactly deserve? I have merely pointed out that I'm not particularly over the moon about her plans for the club when she eventually retires. I feel many others would go along with this view as it is clear that the club will need more investment than her bequest offers (perhaps in the way I suggested) to go forward otherwise there is a possibility that even our current status as a yo-yo club might be looked back fondly as a pinnacle of success whilst we settle for Championship mediocrity, or eventually worse, and the club loses money on an annual basis.

As I said before, I sway with the wind as far as Delia goes. She has many far more extreme critics on this forum than I will ever be. She's been good for our club overall, but she's not been perfect and, over the years some of her decisions have been poor. The "take it or leave it stance" has particularly rankled me, but you chose to make this out as a head on attack, with some inaccuracy,** that victimises her. 

I agree with your general thoughts about Delia. I think she has, on the whole, done a good job at the club and has always had the best interests of NCFC at heart. Sometimes things haven't worked out but it's not been down to lack of effort or resolve. In football, as well as in life, you never get everything right.

I do hope, before her time at the club comes to an end, that they will direct their efforts to finding the next person who can take the club forward and achieve that next step of becoming more than the yo-yo club you mention. That won't be an easy task, and may take some time, but if we are to progress as a club I do feel it's the obvious step because our lack of resources is what always holds us back. There are of course dangers with getting a new owner but all change involves risk; there is also a risk that the club may stagnate if 'fresh blood' is not forthcoming, as often can be seen on the pitch as well as in the boardroom. I know Delia has stated that she will hand over the reins to her family but I hope, nearer the time, that other options are considered.

You've made some excellent, thought provoking comments on this thread BroadstairsR. ✔

God it's nice to talk footy again...

OTBC

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I agree with your general thoughts about Delia. I think she has, on the whole, done a good job at the club and has always had the best interests of NCFC at heart. Sometimes things haven't worked out but it's not been down to lack of effort or resolve. In football, as well as in life, you never get everything right.

I do hope, before her time at the club comes to an end, that they will direct their efforts to finding the next person who can take the club forward and achieve that next step of becoming more than the yo-yo club you mention. That won't be an easy task, and may take some time, but if we are to progress as a club I do feel it's the obvious step because our lack of resources is what always holds us back. There are of course dangers with getting a new owner but all change involves risk; there is also a risk that the club may stagnate if 'fresh blood' is not forthcoming, as often can be seen on the pitch as well as in the boardroom. I know Delia has stated that she will hand over the reins to her family but I hope, nearer the time, that other options are considered.

You've made some excellent, thought provoking comments on this thread BroadstairsR. ✔

God it's nice to talk footy again...

OTBC

We can only dream she reconsiders. 

I enjoy the championship more. It’s just a far more competitive, exciting league. It’s often referred to being the craziest league in the world and I’d go along with that. 

The premier league is boring, it’s a fact. Everyone knows it. Goals per game is dropping all the time. The decisions made by officials have A touch of Far Eastern betting syndicates about them and the whole league stinks of financial corruption, criminality and general scummery. It’s a bad place.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I enjoy the championship more. It’s just a far more competitive, exciting league. It’s often referred to being the craziest league in the world and I’d go along with that. 

The premier league is boring, it’s a fact. Everyone knows it. Goals per game is dropping all the time. The decisions made by officials have A touch of Far Eastern betting syndicates about them and the whole league stinks of financial corruption, criminality and general scummery. It’s a bad place.

It’s the only league to be in but your right it’s crap when your always in the bottom 3. 

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

My aim is not to resurrect the Delia/Ipswich thing NN but I've had a bit of time to do a bit of digging (tee-off 8.30 at last) and found this whole article quite a fascinating read.

https://duncansteer.wordpress.com/2011/09/25/yokel-heroes-the-norwich-ipswich-derby/

A lot of it is news to me for being an exile before the days of the internet it was easier to lose touch with the finer politic of our local rivalry and, indeed, the history of it in general .... some of which is also the result of memory loss with age.

That Phil Ham has a lot to say for himself.

Broady, it's just more tripe. Ask yourself how that article fits in with the truth? Do you really believe Delia could support Norwich throughout the 70s only to support Ipswich for a day in 1978 and then support Norwich for the rest of her life? It doesn't even fit with your own opinion that she changed allegiance when she married Wynnie. They got married in 1971.

I know you don't want to dwell on this but I find it unkind and unfair. You can drag up as many binner articles as you like it still won't alter the truth.

Love the story about Spurs reserves and why didn't play their first team. It sort of reminds me of the day a very young Duncan innocently suggested, to proud Scottish Norwich fan, that teams relegated from division four went down to the Scottish leagues. His logic being those leagues followed on from div four in our Sunday paper.

My understanding is that Delia was a Leeds United fan (I don't know how seriously) until she met MWJ, which presumably was sometime in the lateish 1960s, as they got married in 1971, and immediately switched her allegiance to Norwich City.