cambridgeshire canary

Anybody else looking forward to the Championship next season?

23 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Partly true... we did totally love our 12th place PL return back in PL’s day.  But longer term, PL fanship is poor not just when we’re ineffective and struggling 

I’m talking about the vastly more typical seasonal grind for clubs like ours. There will always be the odd season or two in the sun even for super-rich* aspiring also-rans... it’s Sheff U and Wolves’ turn this year & fair play to them. They clearly have cash & very effective manager, squad and tactics, not to mention the superior transfer decisions that this combination of factors enabled. *super rich relative to Norwich.

Lambert’s time was the outlier when attacking football and unexpected relative success (heady heights of mid table) went hand in hand. The other 4 PL seasons this decade will have seen only one or other of those aims ever realised.

Promotion is worth £100m+.

Sheffield United spent £43m.

Lets knock this misconception on the head, they spent a normal amount for a promoted team that decides to invest in the playing squad. 

I guess if people are happy with the championship next season, thoughts of promotion in that season would be against their wishes? Is relegation part of the great 5 year plan.... Sorry but having a -30 goal difference and watching that shower of xxxx last night just makes me angry and depressed. Never settled for second best and if you do you achieve nothing.... Raised the white flag before we kicked a ball. Pathetic.

Edited by Kenny Foggo

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Promotion is worth £100m+.

Sheffield United spent £43m.

Lets knock this misconception on the head, they spent a normal amount for a promoted team that decides to invest in the playing squad. 

Would be sad/nice if true, but we don’t have the luxury of that simple formula . The players’ wage bill is at least as significant as nominal transfer costs.

It comes down to club resources 

Check out any list of PL club owners’ estimated combined wealth. Most of those numbers have a B next to them, a few have an M and ours is the smallest example! 

Edited by GenerationA47

6 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

The players’ wage bill is at least as significant as nominal transfer costs.

Correct. The wage bill is generally regarded to be the biggest indication of spending power and/or investment. Also, the correlation between wage bill and success is far bigger than that of transfer fees and success.

• Like 1

I see some silver linings. In the current financial climate I'm not sure there will be bids big enough to tempt us to sell our young players. Pukki at 30 is unlikely to be poached. Plus we may be able to use parachute payments to bolster the squad cheaply from clubs suffering more financially. The basic squad is excellent for the Championship but we do need to find more steel and backbone.

I never fail to be amused when people think that being in the Championship means you are unambitious.

You cannot do more than win the league you are in. And we did well, against expectations of even the board, to win it last year.

Unfortunately it was fairly obvious we weren't ready for it. All the expectations that Emi would be a star, Teemu would bang in loads because our style will create so many chances were just that. They were never real expectations.

We weren't ready for it financially either. And the lockdown put us in an even more unfavourable position money wise. To think we spent less than a whole weeks wages on new players sums up how we approached the season. Mend and make do.

Next season, we will have an advantage over the rest of the clubs again. Not many of our squad will be sold unless they get the fees we are looking for and to be honest, why are we expecting phenomenal money for three of our back four, the worst in the EPL and not one of the best in the Championship?

I would love us to be able to compete in the EPL, accepting that apart the odd good season, the best to hope for would be maintaining our status. But as an exile who doesn't actually go to home games, I really don't like to see our team get battered about so much by teams who we suppose are no better than us. But they obviously are.

When we are doing well, the cry of "I couldn't watch Palace week in week out" erupts. So if being in the EPL is so important to some supporters, lets unearth a Zaha and build a defence.

So if we dropped to L1, would we still sell 22K season tickets? Probably, because the good folk of Norwich and Norfolk just want to see their team play. And the most excitement we have had has been the promotion years when, apart from Keith, the mood on here is congenial and fairly unanimous.

Think back the the last season under Hughton and the one with Neil, and tell me this one has been any better.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I reckon that's true. So it's a good job the height of our ambition isn't the championship.👍

Hiya Nutty - I hope you are well.

I don't know if you've misunderstood my post, but I wasn't saying that only staying in the Championship was the clubs outlook - just, judging by the posts on this thread, some of our fellow supporters. 

OTBC

14 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Hiya Nutty - I hope you are well.

I don't know if you've misunderstood my post, but I wasn't saying that only staying in the Championship was the clubs outlook - just, judging by the posts on this thread, some of our fellow supporters. 

OTBC

I'm well thank you buddy, hope you and yours are too.

I don't think there's many whose ambition is to play in the championship. There were a lot more last season saying we couldn't even compete with the binners and our natural place was bottom champs / league one. 

Actually they are saying it again now... 

That must be the ultimate lack of ambition.

Edited by nutty nigel

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't think there's many whose ambition is to play in the championship. There were a lot more last season saying we couldn't even compete with the binners and our natural place was bottom champs / league one. 

Actually they are saying it again now... 

Who ?

4 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Can’t wait now. Derby, forest, Coventry, Birmingham and maybe Villa and West Brom all within a short train journey. What’s not to like. 

Nothing except the majority will probably be played behind closed doors 🙂

10 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I think the grounds will be open soon enough. 

I agree, fans went to rugby in New Zealand last week and I think Spain have a date in July for fans return. 

2 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Would be sad/nice if true, but we don’t have the luxury of that simple formula . The players’ wage bill is at least as significant as nominal transfer costs.

It comes down to club resources 

Check out any list of PL club owners’ estimated combined wealth. Most of those numbers have a B next to them, a few have an M and ours is the smallest example! 

It comes down to cash flow as well. Because our owners won’t put any money in but also won’t let us go into debt we don’t have the freedom to spend cash pre season like most other teams. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Can’t wait now. Derby, forest, Coventry, Birmingham and maybe Villa and West Brom all within a short train journey. What’s not to like. 

Well you probably won't be allowed in the ground. 2nd wave in the autumn. This is not the season to be relegated.

Self-sufficiency is one thing, self-sacrifice (at the temple of money.) is another.

I have had mixed feelings towards Delia for a long while now and tend to bend with the wind of fortune that blows for or against our club.

My most anti moment was after reading that Times article referencing her bequest to nephew Tom: 

“The supporters will be very disappointed to hear that. But no way will we sell. We don’t even listen to any enquiries,” she said. “Our nephew, Tom, is now a board director. He’s 35. He’s a very good board director. He’s a very passionate Norwich City supporter and he will be the recipient of our shares.”

'LUMP IT OR LIKE IT,' in other (and reported) words.

I believe she got off lightly there.

This is not only an insult to the fans but is also proving to be blatantly against the interests of the club she purports to love so much.

This approach condemns NCFC to a future of being up against it financially, whereby the proper thing to do would be to seek out a wealthy and enthusiastic investor to sell at least some of her shares to, instead of treating our club like an heirloom.

OK.We do have an excellent academy and are building up a marvellous reputation for bringing along quality young players, so all is not bad. We are in a healthy financial state compared to most.

Overall though a  Premier League football club virtually owned by Delia Smith has proven to be a contradiction of terms, time and time again.

Many on here, including myself, have supported Norwich City much longer than her. Her attitude surely insults each and every one of us? 

I tried not to make this an anti-Delia post but it has proven to be slightly difficult. She needs to bend that little bit.

Edited by BroadstairsR

28 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Well you probably won't be allowed in the ground. 2nd wave in the autumn. This is not the season to be relegated.

Some experts say it’s unlikely but I guess we wait and see. If it gets to personal choice to attend matches I’d have no qualms going. 

Any football supporter wants to see their team win. The fact is that with the limited financial support available to the club we can't pay enough to attract players who are good enough to win enough games for the club to stay in the EPL. It's all about the wages. We can unearth as many "young" players as we like, but they won't win us games in the EPL.

So, we think these players we have are good enough for us to win quite a few games in the league below - or at least that's what we are hoping to see again next season.

It's not a difficult conundrum really and says nothing about the ambition of the fans; it's a simple fact of life that our owners don't have the money necessary and are also not prepared to sell the club to someone who might have. There's nothing that we, as supporters, can do about that.

Everyone calls us a well run club - we might be in comparison to other football clubs but we haven't been in comparison to similar sized businesses; until Webber and Farke arrived with their plan, which is still less than 3 years old. 

We're following a model where results are not everything - sustained self funding is the model to ensure the club stays in existence. Only a few weeks ago most on here were praising Webber for not spending money so we could see out the epidemic without too much bother. Nothing has changed except one more abject performance to add to a whole host of others this season. As a player. its very hard to keep your head up when you're getting made to look silly almost every week by quite average EPL players, who are faster, bigger, stronger and who earn at least twice as much as you do, because they are twice as good.

We knew we were going down before a ball was kicked this season; just because some fans are looking forward to being in a league where we might be able to compete again doesn't make them lesser fans.

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Some experts say it’s unlikely but I guess we wait and see. If it gets to personal choice to attend matches I’d have no qualms going. 

Looks like it's hitting the US again.

I would go to Carrow Rd because of the relatively lower infection rate in Norfolk, but not sure about others.

8 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Any football supporter wants to see their team win. The fact is that with the limited financial support available to the club we can't pay enough to attract players who are good enough to win enough games for the club to stay in the EPL. It's all about the wages. We can unearth as many "young" players as we like, but they won't win us games in the EPL.

So, we think these players we have are good enough for us to win quite a few games in the league below - or at least that's what we are hoping to see again next season.

It's not a difficult conundrum really and says nothing about the ambition of the fans; it's a simple fact of life that our owners don't have the money necessary and are also not prepared to sell the club to someone who might have. There's nothing that we, as supporters, can do about that.

Everyone calls us a well run club - we might be in comparison to other football clubs but we haven't been in comparison to similar sized businesses; until Webber and Farke arrived with their plan, which is still less than 3 years old. 

We're following a model where results are not everything - sustained self funding is the model to ensure the club stays in existence. Only a few weeks ago most on here were praising Webber for not spending money so we could see out the epidemic without too much bother. Nothing has changed except one more abject performance to add to a whole host of others this season. As a player. its very hard to keep your head up when you're getting made to look silly almost every week by quite average EPL players, who are faster, bigger, stronger and who earn at least twice as much as you do, because they are twice as good.

We knew we were going down before a ball was kicked this season; just because some fans are looking forward to being in a league where we might be able to compete again doesn't make them lesser fans.

Part of me wonders if the part I've highlighted there contributes to our general poor performance this season.

Everyone knows we budgeted for 20th place. Webber says it, Farke says it, the media says it. The players who probably won't get a move have safe contracts, the players that want to move know that we'll move them on for the right fees. Farke won't be pushed out of his job if we get relegated.

As I've said on other threads recently, being 'fearless' is much-vaunted but it's only a short hop from 'nonchalant'. Maybe if there was more at stake we'd have a bit more fire when things didn't go the right way.

As I've said on other threads recently, being 'fearless' is much-vaunted but it's only a short hop from 'nonchalant'. Maybe if there was more at stake we'd have a bit more fire when things didn't go the right way.

I believe that is very much true. It was like a free hit in Cricket. If we stay up then maybe next but this season was go with what you have and no tears if we go down with a few bob more than other clubs.

25 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Looks like it's hitting the US again.

I would go to Carrow Rd because of the relatively lower infection rate in Norfolk, but not sure about others.

I get it’s tricky especially for the more mature fans and those who have been laid off from work. I’m lucky to have led a normal routine work wise and quite quickly for most you forget any fear mixing safely with others. 

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

IMG_20200620_163920.thumb.jpg.38af14c770f94ed7f9d5977401ddbd2e.jpg

Just the one then ? You made it sound as though it was more.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Just the one then ? You made it sound as though it was more.

Not as much as you made it sound as though there were none...

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

IMG_20200620_163920.thumb.jpg.38af14c770f94ed7f9d5977401ddbd2e.jpg

To be honest you can’t really argue with his sentiment! You can’t really lay much blame on Farke, but lack of funds. We never had the money to compete at this level......we need to build next year on this season.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Self-sufficiency is one thing, self-sacrifice (at the temple of money.) is another.

I have had mixed feelings towards Delia for a long while now and tend to bend with the wind of fortune that blows for or against our club.

My most anti moment was after reading that Times article referencing her bequest to nephew Tom: 

“The supporters will be very disappointed to hear that. But no way will we sell. We don’t even listen to any enquiries,” she said. “Our nephew, Tom, is now a board director. He’s 35. He’s a very good board director. He’s a very passionate Norwich City supporter and he will be the recipient of our shares.”

'LUMP IT OR LIKE IT,' in other (and reported) words.

I believe she got off lightly there.

This is not only an insult to the fans but is also proving to be blatantly against the interests of the club she purports to love so much.

This approach condemns NCFC to a future of being up against it financially, whereby the proper thing to do would be to seek out a wealthy and enthusiastic investor to sell at least some of her shares to, instead of treating our club like an heirloom.

OK.We do have an excellent academy and are building up a marvellous reputation for bringing along quality young players, so all is not bad. We are in a healthy financial state compared to most.

Overall though a  Premier League football club virtually owned by Delia Smith has proven to be a contradiction of terms, time and time again.

Many on here, including myself, have supported Norwich City much longer than her. Her attitude surely insults each and every one of us? 

I tried not to make this an anti-Delia post but it has proven to be slightly difficult. She needs to bend that little bit.

Not sure how many years you have but I've been going since 1967 and wynnie beats me. As for Delia, probably only since the 70s.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

To be honest you can’t really argue with his sentiment! You can’t really lay much blame on Farke, but lack of funds. We never had the money to compete at this level......we need to build next year on this season.

It's up to you Indy. But why hasn't it happened?

A couple of weeks ago everyone was spitting feathers about the money our footballers earn and now they want to pay them more because we lost a soulless game in an empty stadium. Go figure....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

A couple of weeks ago everyone was spitting feathers about the money our footballers earn and now they want to pay them more because we lost a soulless game in an empty stadium. Go figure....

I’m not arguing for or against Nutty, but the truth is money wins the tittle, Man City and Chelsea show that, both about the same as our club back in the mid to late 80’s.

I’m just saying you can’t argue against his sentiments as why blame Farke, it’s like Williams in F1 not a chance in hell with thier restrictions of competing with top sides in F1.

I agree we all knew that we had massive financial restrictions for the past three seasons and for me we’ve done fabulous job to gain promotion.....I’ve enjoyed this season knowing we’re building year on year so agree I won’t blame Farke for relegation.

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That's a very interesting and valid argument. 

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Not as much as you made it sound as though there were none...

How have you translated me asking who into sound as though there were none ?