cambridgeshire canary

Anybody else looking forward to the Championship next season?

The premier league is nothing more than a Kok measuring exercise of the wealthy.

The mid table teams achieve nothing more than saying they are premier league teams.

At least in the championship you have 24 teams capable of winning games making it competitive to all.

• Like 4

Just a minor blip today.....be rest assured, the team will be right up for it and chomping at the bit for the next game......

"Oink Oink"....."WHOOSH!" 

Heading back to the shallow end of the footballing pool because we cant swim properly and the arm bands keep falling off. The lifeguard watches on , quite content. 

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

Yep, I've been looking forward to it since October, much to the chagrin of some on here.

The Prem is abject ****e unless you're big 6/spending hundreds of millions. Everyone else is playing for the glory of midtable.

Boring. as. ****.

Can't wait to get back to proper footy in the Champs.

Absolutely this, sums up exactly how I feel.

• Like 1

There lies the problem with the mentality of most Norwich fans. It’s like Rotherham can’t stop hoping to get back to league 1 because they can’t hold their own in the Championship. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No as I want NCFC playing in the top flight as an established side but with the current owners they have proved they are not capable of achieving that...

So all the City Hall and open top bus parade through crowded streets celebrations because we had just been promoted from the Championship were just that, celebration for the sake of celebration?

The Premier League is the only place to be. It is the best and all clubs should aspire to the best.

Why blame the Premier League for our own club's failure to be competitive in it with such appalling consistency?

Even if it means just playing a season out just to aim for mid-table, at least it is at the top table with all the benefits that a good feast offers.

Financial benefits apart, it provides the yellows with the opportunity to play against some of the best teams packed with some of the best players in the world. It provides the opportunity to see some of the best teams packed with some of the best players in the world play on the Carrow Road turf in front of full houses. It provides us with days like that win against Manchester City and worldwide fame  and recognition, whereby you can walk into any bar in many parts of the world and watch our club pitted against the best because they are among the best. As the Canaries get this sort of exposure it's fan base increases internationally. Norwich becomes a known name and visitors are more likely to come to the City ... and even if this is likely to be on a very small scale who wants Championship anonymity?

Locally, we are the Pride of Anglia, let's aspire to keeping it that way in as emphatic a way as is possible.

Being among the creme de la creme means more exposure in the media, from MotD to full match reports in decent newspapers to more live games on TV. This is surely to excite interest among both home dwellers and exiles alike.

It means maintenance of Category One status is easier and thus retaining our place among the 24 clubs in the entire football league capable of benefiting from it's privileges. We are currently piling up a healthy group of highly rated youngsters, one more recently. Can anyone deny that our Premier League status is not a factor in making this policy possible both financially (£500,000 for a youngster) and from the point of view of being a club which offers a degree of attraction?

Last season was the first season since I was a young teen that I was, for a variety of reasons, unable to see one City game live. I had planned to remedy it this with, at least, a trip to Watford this season. Now it will be two in a row. I hope it will never be three and that that this/these games will be against the best opposition possible.

I have purposely underplayed the financial side of things whereby managed properly PL membership can avoid annual loss at the least and can bring profit. We will lose money on an annual basis in the Chumps. Continuous Championship membership can therefore wave goodbye to that, nearly universal aspiration, of ground enhancement. 

Most football clubs are a house of cards and collapse can come quickly and ruinously. City are no exception and the annual prospect of watching that wonderful Championship football brings this outcome for our club nearer to home.

The Championship can become a quicksand if a club is exposed to it for overlong. Just look at 1p5wich Town ..... eleventh in L1, massive debt, massive losses and with their future at the whim of  a disinterested individual. Delia Smith and her other half are true fans. I do not accept the squarkers who  claim that they too aspire to the comfort of second rate.

Championship football? Bah! Humbug!

Little old Norwich ..... Bah! Humbug!

The best thing about the Championship is the thrill of getting promoted from it.

It looks increasingly likely that most  those above will have their wish for next season. It will be more fun they say. Huh!

I, for one, hope that we have it in us to, once again, come back up and this time have enough about us to shake off the tag of being the country's number one yo-yo club.

Our owners might be a bit cautious and slow on the uptake with regards the exact needs of PL football (but not in many other aspects of running a successful club I hasten to add,) but both Webber and Farke have shown in the past that they learn more quickly. They have picked up enough nous to get us to the quarter finals of the FA Cup for the first time in years for one thing.

One bad match and out they come, yet a lot of the most recent football talk on this forum has centred around the prospect of us pulling off that 'little miracle' Farke has aspired to.Whilst we are up there, let's cling onto survival with every ounce of energy and ambition that we can muster.

Losers want less.

Wigan Athletic, Rotherham, Oxford United, Fleetwood Town anybody? We should thrash those with ease and that's what "proper" football is surely?

Our upcoming games against Everton, Arsenal and Man. City are fake football, because we might well lose them. 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 4

Must say I haven't missed football at all over the last 3 months and yesterday's pathetic display and lack of commitment did nothing to change that.

It's a No from me. 

I’m looking forward to taking my son and him seeing us win a few games. Felt guilty making him sit through that second half last night with me in a strop.

so yes I will look forward to that, life goes on but I find being in the premier league under the current owners pretty intolerable and that’s a sad situation. 

• Haha 1

Great post Broadstairs. All of those things and more are why promtion FROM the Championship rather than existence IN the Championship is celebrated so wildly. That game in April 2019 when we clinched promotion will live long in the memory with the laps of honour and singing. What grates with me is that the tweaks needed to maintain a competitive stab at staying up have not been made,  much of what we saw last night has been in evidence to some extent through Farke's reign. I still believe we had the quality to stay up but again lessons have not been learned and we failed to adapt for the sterner challenges faced in the PL.

• Like 1

I’m afraid it’s case of when now not if , but it’s the way we are just falling apart at least give it a go and go down trying 

• Like 1

Would normally be talking about transfer targets now but even that is on hold. Lacked a proper leader last night and think we have for a while. Looking forward to the championship. We will lose some players for sure but have exciting ones to come through. Sitti, MaCullum, Idah, Martin spring to mind. Fawemo may be a centre half to look at. Adshead will surely step up. Still need a leader though. I can see Aaron's, Lewis and possibly Godfrey going for big bucks so money should be available to invest in the extra quality required.

I always look forward to the next season, regardless of what division we are in. 

I do not support Norwich for glory, the fact we should win more games in the Championship doesn't excite me any more than a Premier League relegation scrap.

I would argue that Lamberts first season with us in the Prem, was just as exciting as the two promotion seasons that preceded it. We didn't win as many games, but we competed against the big boys and gave a great account for ourselves. 

We have made some big mistakes this season, on and off the pitch. By no means was a bottom finish a forgone conclusion on our promotion. Smaller teams have had exciting runs in the Premier League - one awful showing from us won't change that. 

• Like 1

I remember, some twenty odd years ago, watching Middlesboro being relegated from the Premier League on the television and seeing grown men cry at the prospect of this.

I thought it pathetic (there wasn't even the greater financial benefits then as there are now)and coming to the conclusion that perhaps I did not take the game as seriously as most.

Now it seems so many City fans actually want their club to be relegated from the Premier League.Perhaps I came to the wrong conclusion so many years ago.

15 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I remember, some twenty odd years ago, watching Middlesboro being relegated from the Premier League on the television and seeing grown men cry at the prospect of this.

I thought it pathetic (there wasn't even the greater financial benefits then as there are now)and coming to the conclusion that perhaps I did not take the game as seriously as most.

Now it seems so many City fans actually want their club to be relegated from the Premier League.Perhaps I came to the wrong conclusion so many years ago.

The reason for that, is while hope springs eternal we have long known that relegation was the most likely outcome. A glance at the goals for and against signalled this from quite early on. Scoring once for every two conceded has an inevitable outcome.

25 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The reason for that, is while hope springs eternal we have long known that relegation was the most likely outcome. A glance at the goals for and against signalled this from quite early on. Scoring once for every two conceded has an inevitable outcome.

Perhaps that's the case... but that's no reason to "welcome" Championship football.

I just hope we come back immediately and that the pound will have finally dropped for the "two" that with three one season excursions in the last twenty years, and another brief one, they might not be quite on the ball, either from a footballing point of view or from a financial point of view and need outside help. Perhaps it is one of the same thing and it's just really the latter.

Both Webber and Farke are good to have. We could lose them both sooner than expected if this farcical routine continues.

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

So all the City Hall and open top bus parade through crowded streets celebrations because we had just been promoted from the Championship were just that, celebration for the sake of celebration?

The Premier League is the only place to be. It is the best and all clubs should aspire to the best.

Why blame the Premier League for our own club's failure to be competitive in it with such appalling consistency?

Even if it means just playing a season out just to aim for mid-table, at least it is at the top table with all the benefits that a good feast offers.

Financial benefits apart, it provides the yellows with the opportunity to play against some of the best teams packed with some of the best players in the world. It provides the opportunity to see some of the best teams packed with some of the best players in the world play on the Carrow Road turf in front of full houses. It provides us with days like that win against Manchester City and worldwide fame  and recognition, whereby you can walk into any bar in many parts of the world and watch our club pitted against the best because they are among the best. As the Canaries get this sort of exposure it's fan base increases internationally. Norwich becomes a known name and visitors are more likely to come to the City ... and even if this is likely to be on a very small scale who wants Championship anonymity?

Locally, we are the Pride of Anglia, let's aspire to keeping it that way in as emphatic a way as is possible.

Being among the creme de la creme means more exposure in the media, from MotD to full match reports in decent newspapers to more live games on TV. This is surely to excite interest among both home dwellers and exiles alike.

It means maintenance of Category One status is easier and thus retaining our place among the 24 clubs in the entire football league capable of benefiting from it's privileges. We are currently piling up a healthy group of highly rated youngsters, one more recently. Can anyone deny that our Premier League status is not a factor in making this policy possible both financially (£500,000 for a youngster) and from the point of view of being a club which offers a degree of attraction?

Last season was the first season since I was a young teen that I was, for a variety of reasons, unable to see one City game live. I had planned to remedy it this with, at least, a trip to Watford this season. Now it will be two in a row. I hope it will never be three and that that this/these games will be against the best opposition possible.

I have purposely underplayed the financial side of things whereby managed properly PL membership can avoid annual loss at the least and can bring profit. We will lose money on an annual basis in the Chumps. Continuous Championship membership can therefore wave goodbye to that, nearly universal aspiration, of ground enhancement. 

Most football clubs are a house of cards and collapse can come quickly and ruinously. City are no exception and the annual prospect of watching that wonderful Championship football brings this outcome for our club nearer to home.

The Championship can become a quicksand if a club is exposed to it for overlong. Just look at 1p5wich Town ..... eleventh in L1, massive debt, massive losses and with their future at the whim of  a disinterested individual. Delia Smith and her other half are true fans. I do not accept the squarkers who  claim that they too aspire to the comfort of second rate.

Championship football? Bah! Humbug!

Little old Norwich ..... Bah! Humbug!

The best thing about the Championship is the thrill of getting promoted from it.

It looks increasingly likely that most  those above will have their wish for next season. It will be more fun they say. Huh!

I, for one, hope that we have it in us to, once again, come back up and this time have enough about us to shake off the tag of being the country's number one yo-yo club.

Our owners might be a bit cautious and slow on the uptake with regards the exact needs of PL football (but not in many other aspects of running a successful club I hasten to add,) but both Webber and Farke have shown in the past that they learn more quickly. They have picked up enough nous to get us to the quarter finals of the FA Cup for the first time in years for one thing.

One bad match and out they come, yet a lot of the most recent football talk on this forum has centred around the prospect of us pulling off that 'little miracle' Farke has aspired to.Whilst we are up there, let's cling onto survival with every ounce of energy and ambition that we can muster.

Losers want less.

Wigan Athletic, Rotherham, Oxford United, Fleetwood Town anybody? We should thrash those with ease and that's what "proper" football is surely?

Our upcoming games against Everton, Arsenal and Man. City are fake football, because we might well lose them. 

An excellent post. If the height of your ambition is the Championship, sooner or later League One will beckon.

OTBC.

1 hour ago, canarycop said:

Would normally be talking about transfer targets now but even that is on hold. Lacked a proper leader last night and think we have for a while. Looking forward to the championship. We will lose some players for sure but have exciting ones to come through. Sitti, MaCullum, Idah, Martin spring to mind. Fawemo may be a centre half to look at. Adshead will surely step up. Still need a leader though. I can see Aaron's, Lewis and possibly Godfrey going for big bucks so money should be available to invest in the extra quality required.

I think Hanley and Zimbo both have natural leadership qualities, and would expect both to be with us next season. Both definitely good enough for the Championship, too.

13 hours ago, smooth said:

I want to see NCFC in the premier league, I just want us to build and have players that can compete.

Every player wants to play in the league and I hate them saying we are learning.

I just feel we have never gone up with a team where we have felt anymore than 17th is possible. I also feel what makes it worse we have seen some terrible teams that have final places above us.

I spoke to mates today about how you had to beat those teams you came up, beat teams at key games early in the season.

We have some cracking players, buendia, pukki, krul who are prem players but we are missing a genuine spine.

We mustn't forget we have played some great football this season and only lost or not taken all 3 points by a single goal. Fine margins is what all the media guys talk of. Some diabolical VAR decisions robbed us too. Just look back at the games we were so close to winning and you can see we could have easily have had another 10 points in the bag.

Last night was shocking but over the whole season we haven't been so far away from finishing above the drop zone. 

35 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

An excellent post. If the height of your ambition is the Championship, sooner or later League One will beckon.

OTBC.

I reckon that's true. So it's a good job the height of our ambition isn't the championship.👍

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I reckon that's true. So it's a good job the height of our ambition isn't the championship.👍

If it is we've done a bloody good job of exceeding our ambition pretty regularly compared to a load of billionaire owned clubs who keep saying they want to see their club in Europe, but can't even get the play-offs in the Championship!

• Like 1

Can’t wait now. Derby, forest, Coventry, Birmingham and maybe Villa and West Brom all within a short train journey. What’s not to like. 

14 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Please can we have some dispensation the next time we’re promoted. Take the money but agree to remain in the Championship and cut out the middle man. 

Perhaps just sell the promotion to the team in 3rd place for £25m. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ncfc-tom said:

The mid table teams achieve nothing more than saying they are premier league teams.

Generally with you & KIO, but to be fair there is a lot of club kudos that comes with that PL badge -regardless of (what I think we agree is) a pretty poor fan experience.

The biggest difference it makes is in the decisions  of higher quality or high potential  players to join us or not. Most good players want to play against (& ultimately for) other PL players/managers. This is not the only factor Norwich are looking for, but it expands a club’s  catchment pool even when like us, it’s not the richest even in division 2., & is unfashionable, & hence needs more than £mullah in its honeypot 

Then there’s the obvious huge amount of cash even for losers, which keeps us challenging towards the top of the 2nd division whenever we get demoted.

Realise that now is not the time for pure ‘logic’, as I imagine until yesterday, we all indulged - secretly or openly, realistically or otherwise - in hopes of a miraculous transformation in the level of our playing and management abilities ...
I’m certainly hurting all over again... and that’s from someone who swore I knew we would go down as early as November.

Edited by GenerationA47

9 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Generally with you & KIO, but to be fair there is a lot of club kudos that comes with that PL badge -regardless of (what I think we agree is) a pretty poor fan experience.

Its only a "poor fan experience" because we're bottom of the league and looking hopeless.

Sheffield United and Wolves fans probably having a great time. 

I am but this time I don’t want to get promoted whilst Delia is in charge 

a competitive season where we win  lots and play good football yes, promotion and a subsequent season of misery, no thanks 

Edited by Uncle Fred
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its only a "poor fan experience" because we're bottom of the league and looking hopeless.

Sheffield United and Wolves fans probably having a great time. 

Partly true... we did totally love our 12th place PL return back in PL’s day.  But longer term, PL fanship is poor not just when we’re ineffective and struggling 

I’m talking about the vastly more typical seasonal grind for clubs like ours. There will always be the odd season or two in the sun even for super-rich* aspiring also-rans... it’s Sheff U and Wolves’ turn this year & fair play to them. They clearly have cash & very effective manager, squad and tactics, not to mention the superior transfer decisions that this combination of factors enabled. *super rich relative to Norwich.

Lambert’s time was the outlier when attacking football and unexpected relative success (heady heights of mid table) went hand in hand. The other 4 PL seasons this decade will have seen only one or other of those aims ever realised.

Edited by GenerationA47

Doesn't matter what division we end up in.....The upper echelons of the club will still enjoy the 'Prem Style' fruits and perks of being 'On the Board'.....

"Cleared for take-off."......