Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

One of the most abject, pathetic performances of my supporting lifetime

1 minute ago, SteepersCreepers said:

It also finished recently. There's been some shockers - this is just another.

My post was more a reference to the content of the post rather than their thread title, but I don't think history will easily forget this match. Of course, there have been worse performances and lower points, but I can see this being permanently added to the hall of shame in years to come.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

At a tangent I did wonder, without making excuses, if this is one area where having no crowd really hurts the home side. Even at 0-2 I have seen Norwich City teams fight back, not least because there was a crowd to cheer them on and provide momentum.

I agree, and made this point towards the end of first half in the match thread. First five/ten minutes aside, when we appeared sharper than Southampton and were first to every loose ball, the performance seemed so flat and lifeless. Was it a lack of fitness? Lack of passion? Lack of motivation?

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Where to start.  Well, not with the owners for one thing. Not with Farke either, not with the players either.  Put simply, we have had a dreadful run of injuries that has continued right up to today.  Klose not had a competitive game for a year and a half to start with, but had to use him.   Klose and Godfrey could be a great pairing - but to expect them to be at the top of form, just like that, is wishful thinking.  Klose did ok, but Southampton are a very good side, as they have proved as the season has continued.

NO team can expect to do well when they have had to make so many changes at centre back - the spine of the team is just missing a vital part of it's make up. 

As unlucky as we have been with injuries in defence, I don't think you can use that as an excuse to explain how lifeless the entire team was today. 

I love your optimism LDC, it is commendable and I generally think you unjustly get a hard time from many.

But that post was defending the indefensible.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Where to start.  Well, not with the owners for one thing. Not with Farke either, not with the players either.  Put simply, we have had a dreadful run of injuries that has continued right up to today.  Klose not had a competitive game for a year and a half to start with, but had to use him.   Klose and Godfrey could be a great pairing - but to expect them to be at the top of form, just like that, is wishful thinking.  Klose did ok, but Southampton are a very good side, as they have proved as the season has continued.

NO team can expect to do well when they have had to make so many changes at centre back - the spine of the team is just missing a vital part of it's make up. 

I would still like Vrancic to start, but you have to see that Emi and Todd are ahead of him in their positions. Maybe he could have been on today instead of Drmic to bolster the midfield, but Farke plainly doesn't see him as a starter, for wqhatever reason.  His quality at set pieces makes - imo - any other deficiencies he might have irrelevant because set pieces are so important in the PL.

I understand the emotion of it all, it was painful to watch, but given the situation, I think it is best to not try to be too emotive about it - maybe lessons can be learned, questions answered about one or two players - and we move on.

OTBC, we are in strange times, so no disgrace from today imo, just disappointment.

Excuses, excuses. Tonight we were pi$$ poor after 10 minutes and let’s not use injuries as the cause. 

A must win game against nothing special showed us up for what we are. Only shining light is we’re 1 game away from a cup semi final which ( doubtful but you never know) would ease the pain to a degree. 

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I would still like Vrancic to start, but you have to see that Emi and Todd are ahead of him in their positions. Maybe he could have been on today instead of Drmic to bolster the midfield, but Farke plainly doesn't see him as a starter, for wqhatever reason.  His quality at set pieces makes - imo - any other deficiencies he might have irrelevant because set pieces are so important in the PL.

I understand the emotion of it all, it was painful to watch, but given the situation, I think it is best to not try to be too emotive about it - maybe lessons can be learned, questions answered about one or two players - and we move on.

OTBC, we are in strange times, so no disgrace from today imo, just disappointment.

Well your idea of  power of positive thinking went well.....

Apart from the first ten minutes we just weren't at the races at all. Soton are not a very good side. They are just a decent lower half Premier League side which is why they are where they are in the table. We are where we are in the table because we can't compete with an average side like Soton.

Even you must now agree we're f*cked ? I dread to think what the Man Utd score will be......

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Fair enough, Jim. I didn't watch the game but it sounded dire. i do wonder on one of your specific points if Tettey is still up to Premier League football, and that is why he was left out.

I don't know if it still applies, but when the restart was being discussed with Grant Hanley, he'd said that certain players needed 60-90 minutes with the physio and due to the social distancing regulations they could only get 15 minutes.

32 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Poor but we have seen far worse many times.

or at least, I have.

Oh god here we go . i know best because I’ve been to more games in the 1950s . Least you’ve stopped telling us the season won’t restart. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Williams said:

Oh god here we go . i know best because I’ve been to more games in the 1950s . Least you’ve stopped telling us the season won’t restart. 

Our only chance if staying up.

As for poor games yes unfortunately I've seen more than most. It's one of the problems of not being young. A dreadful fault I expect.

• Like 2

Our worst game for me. Michael Bailey also reported it was the worst pass completion rate this season and worst percentage of interceptions....Add to that a lack of firepower and defensive frailty we've just seen.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Our only chance if staying up.

As for poor games yes unfortunately I've seen more than most. It's one of the problems of not being young. A dreadful fault I expect.

I am starting a campaign. OGM. Old Gits Matter. We won't be doing the kneeling bit though.

Pull down that statue of Bobby Moore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The fitness levels were lower than a pre-season friendly. There is nothing we  could have done about that. 

We started very well and ran out of steam very quickly. Southampton paced themselves better. 

I have seen worse and against worse opposition. 

I didn't follow the game apart from the first few minutes.  Sounded like a fairly decent start.  The result came as a real shock.

Same old I'm afraid, empty stadium just made it more obvious. 

Something is fundamentally not right at CR.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

I am starting a campaign. OGM. Old Gits Matter. We won't be doing the kneeling bit though.

Pull down that statue of Bobby Moore.

If we did we'd never get up. I keep forgetting most on here are too young to remember Charlie Billington

32 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

At a tangent I did wonder, without making excuses, if this is one area where having no crowd really hurts the home side. Even at 0-2 I have seen Norwich City teams fight back, not least because there was a crowd to cheer them on and provide momentum.

Not this season you haven't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

I didn't follow the game apart from the first few minutes.  Sounded like a fairly decent start.  The result came as a real shock.

Same old I'm afraid, empty stadium just made it more obvious. 

Something is fundamentally not right at CR.

Continually starting Premier League seasons with an inadequate central defence doesn't help. We never seem to learn that lesson.

• Like 1

I thought our midfield was dreadful - not having the extra man due to Drmic only exemplified it if you ask me.

Buendia consistently losing the ball in dangerous positions and I'm not sure how but even when he looked 80/20 favourite for the loose ball Trybull seemed to lose out.

Far too easy for the opposition and whilst I appreciate Drmic has apparently trained really well we cannot play without the extra man in the middle.

• Like 3

How many times can you give the ball away and let teams pick you off on the counter? Why did we look so much less fit than Southampton? 

I have genuinely no idea how Drmic started ahead of Vrancic, who at least has quality in dead ball situations.

One of the most disappointing performances is a season that has been full of them. Abject.

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Of the very very few positives, Klose came through it fine and looked the part (was the only one that did)

Not sure I agree with that- thought he looked very sluggish (to be expected though)

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Not sure I agree with that- thought he looked very sluggish (to be expected though)

Did his best but always under pressure because we couldn't stop giving the ball away. Buendia has been the biggest flop this season. I really thought he would shine.

1 hour ago, canarycop said:

Doesnt matter who was available. I am 56 and could have shown more passion than half that lot. In all my years of supporting Norwich I have never been so disappointed at the effort put in, and believe me I have seen some bad uns. If these young so called stars think they have made it then they are in for a shock. Where was Aaron's overlapping today. Lewis going backwards at every opportunity.  Buendia gave the ball away constantly. Cantwell .....anonymous. don't get me started on Drmic !!! The rest were as bad. We wont win another game this season. Clear out at season end and start again next season

So much hope yet all thrown away without any fight

There is no point clearing out, as we get cheaper and cheaper each time. The problem is at the top and for some (selfish) reason, they won’t part with the club

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Did his best but always under pressure because we couldn't stop giving the ball away. Buendia has been the biggest flop this season. I really thought he would shine.

Not got much chance when he spends the entire game defending

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I thought our midfield was dreadful - not having the extra man due to Drmic only exemplified it if you ask me.

Buendia consistently losing the ball in dangerous positions and I'm not sure how but even when he looked 80/20 favourite for the loose ball Trybull seemed to lose out.

Far too easy for the opposition and whilst I appreciate Drmic has apparently trained really well we cannot play without the extra man in the middle.

Yesterday, I posted two possible alternatives in the 'team for Southampton' thread. One had a two-man midfield with Tettey and Vrancic, while the other was a three-man midfield with Rupp added. Farke selected none of these three and opted for Trybull and McLean.

Would we have done better with either of my midfields? I highly doubt it. It would've been like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, as I don't feel we have a central midfield partnership that's good enough to compete at this level.

You could play two, three, four or even all bloody five of them, even adding Leitner as a sixth, but it still wouldn't work.

21 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If we did we'd never get up. I keep forgetting most on here are too young to remember Charlie Billington

Or Jim Blair

53 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I think the problem with him Ricardo is I still think he’s the player most likely to damage the opposition, the only problem is he’s also the player most likely to damage us.