Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

One of the most abject, pathetic performances of my supporting lifetime

And I’ve seen some really bad ones.

given the scenario and the situation and what is at stake this has been humiliating.

ultimately it all flows from the selfish pair at the top and their refusal to allow us to compete. Because if that I can’t really bring myself to blame Farke who is a good coach but he has got absolutely nothing, nothing right at all this season culminating in this shambles tonight where having had three months to prepare we’ve got the team completely wrong, not turned up again (every game) at the start of the second half and defended like school boys. We’ve had a chance to reset and have done out much worse than we were playing before the break.

we don’t even look fitter or sharper than a team with little to play for. We’ve managed to injure half our team in training and just look a shambles. 

Pathetic. Please just end this awful season now. 

• Like 3

Just now, Jim Smith said:

given the scenario and the situation and what is at stake this has been humiliating.

ultimately it all flows from the selfish pair at the top and their refusal to allow us to compete. Because if that I can’t really bring myself to blame Farke who is a good coach but he has got absolutely nothing, nothing right at all this season culminating in this shambles tonight where having had three months to prepare we’ve got the team completely wrong, not turned up again (every game) at the start of the second half and defended like school boys. We’ve had a chance to reset and have done out much worse than we were playing before the break.

we don’t even look fitter or sharper than a team with little to play for. We’ve managed to injure half our team in training and just look a shambles. 

Given who was available what would your team have been, Jim?

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

Maybe we should have a stronger squad ....maybe more investment. A real lack of quality. End of...

There is no defending a performance that bad. It was a disgrace 

• Like 1

I have to admit I'm worried now we won't be a force in the championship playing like that.  A one off? Didn't adapt to having no crowd? It was spineless really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Maybe we should have a stronger squad ....maybe more investment. A real lack of quality. End of...

it is a view. But Jim Smith was saying that Farke had got nothing right this season with the squad he had.

Just now, sonyc said:

I have to admit I'm worried now we won't be a force in the championship playing like that.  A one off? Didn't adapt to having no crowd? It was spineless really.

Be lucky to stay up... Webber has had one good window and one really bad window. Will be interesting to see if he is as good as he thinks he is

Doesnt matter who was available. I am 56 and could have shown more passion than half that lot. In all my years of supporting Norwich I have never been so disappointed at the effort put in, and believe me I have seen some bad uns. If these young so called stars think they have made it then they are in for a shock. Where was Aaron's overlapping today. Lewis going backwards at every opportunity.  Buendia gave the ball away constantly. Cantwell .....anonymous. don't get me started on Drmic !!! The rest were as bad. We wont win another game this season. Clear out at season end and start again next season

So much hope yet all thrown away without any fight

8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Have to agree never seen them play like that no spirit sloppy play embarrassing just so poor got to question managers motivation 

It was an utterly dreadful second half - so many passes astray, which for a passing side is suicidal.  
I can’t quite understand why we changed a system we’ve been using for the last two+ years, first game back....it doesn’t really make sense to me.  But there must have been reasons we just don’t ‘get’.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Be lucky to stay up... Webber has had one good window and one really bad window. Will be interesting to see if he is as good as he thinks he is

Are you claiming January as a good window then? Duda on loan and another mediocre German midfielder on a perm?

We're now in June 2020 and our last good transfer window was summer 2018. 

13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

) at the start of the second half and defended like school boys

I resent that insult to schoolboy football. 

Just now, wooster said:

Echoes of Fulham 2005

For same reason as well, half of them don't want to be here and most of the other half aren't very good. 

12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It absolutely had to have Tettey holding in midfield (massive error) and Drmic in midfield was also a really poor decision.

but it’s not just about that. It’s everything. The poor defending, the repeated failure to come out after half time even vaguely fired up or sharp. I’ve had enough of it.

the problem is further up the club but if you won’t give the coach the resources then you need them to work miracles and Farke has been below average this season.

he will learn sbd I don’t want him sacked but it’s been demoralising. 

I wasn't looking forward to it because football without a crowd is pretty pointless anyway but at least I know not to waste my time watching anymore.

Ps I bet we get to the FA cup final

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

it is a view. But Jim Smith was saying that Farke had got nothing right this season with the squad he had.

Man City the only example I can think of of his tactics actually earning is points. Will give him that one. 

I know its the same for both teams but we were second best to nearly everything. We were totally unfit to play at that level tonight. And yet two sustained serious injuries in training. 

And I reckon they might be glad of that.

Without investment we were always set for relegation. No fault rests with Farke. If we wish to be competitive in the PL we need ownership with the financial capability and willingness to build a team.

8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

As I said in the match thread, I'm very much a 'Happy Clapper' and one of the most 'glass half full' fans, but aside from the criticism of the owners, I can't really disagree with anything else in the opening post.

It also finished recently. There's been some shockers - this is just another.

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It absolutely had to have Tettey holding in midfield (massive error) and Drmic in midfield was also a really poor decision.

but it’s not just about that. It’s everything. The poor defending, the repeated failure to come out after half time even vaguely fired up or sharp. I’ve had enough of it.

the problem is further up the club but if you won’t give the coach the resources then you need them to work miracles and Farke has been below average this season.

he will learn sbd I don’t want him sacked but it’s been demoralising. 

Fair enough, Jim. I didn't watch the game but it sounded dire. i do wonder on one of your specific points if Tettey is still up to Premier League football, and that is why he was left out.

At a tangent I did wonder, without making excuses, if this is one area where having no crowd really hurts the home side. Even at 0-2 I have seen Norwich City teams fight back, not least because there was a crowd to cheer them on and provide momentum.

1 minute ago, It's Character Forming said:

You might want to re-read his post...

No. I read and understood and posted accordingly.

Where to start.  Well, not with the owners for one thing. Not with Farke either, not with the players either.  Put simply, we have had a dreadful run of injuries that has continued right up to today.  Klose not had a competitive game for a year and a half to start with, but had to use him.   Klose and Godfrey could be a great pairing - but to expect them to be at the top of form, just like that, is wishful thinking.  Klose did ok, but Southampton are a very good side, as they have proved as the season has continued.

NO team can expect to do well when they have had to make so many changes at centre back - the spine of the team is just missing a vital part of it's make up. 

I would still like Vrancic to start, but you have to see that Emi and Todd are ahead of him in their positions. Maybe he could have been on today instead of Drmic to bolster the midfield, but Farke plainly doesn't see him as a starter, for wqhatever reason.  His quality at set pieces makes - imo - any other deficiencies he might have irrelevant because set pieces are so important in the PL.

I understand the emotion of it all, it was painful to watch, but given the situation, I think it is best to not try to be too emotive about it - maybe lessons can be learned, questions answered about one or two players - and we move on.

OTBC, we are in strange times, so no disgrace from today imo, just disappointment.

• Like 1