Sign in to follow this  
Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Defensive Injuries - Next in Line?

Hanley, Zimmermann and Byram are confirmed as out for the season. 

If anything happens to Aarons, Godfrey, Klose or Lewis then we're looking at Tettey, Stiepermann and Rupp.

Who would be next in line? 

We're one injury away from total disaster.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

This is a wind up, surely?  Have any other squads suffered so many injuries since the resumption, because if not, I think now would be the time to stop blaming "bad luck" and start looking at what we are doing to contribute to these injuries and take action.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The best ones are/were all on loan.

I don't think we'll be allowed to use McCallum or Famewo, so it's either round pegs in square holes or players who are not even our best youngsters.

Utter shambles.

3 months we've had to nurture them all back to fitness.

8 minutes ago, Orly said:

This is a wind up, surely?  Have any other squads suffered so many injuries since the resumption, because if not, I think now would be the time to stop blaming "bad luck" and start looking at what we are doing to contribute to these injuries and take action.

Yes, other squads have - Everton have already got a mini injury crisis before the season resumes for example.

24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Hanley, Zimmermann and Byram are confirmed as out for the season. 

If anything happens to Aarons, Godfrey, Klose or Lewis then we're looking at Tettey, Stiepermann and Rupp.

Who would be next in line? 

We're one injury away from total disaster.

Jordan Thomas (young full back) has been training with the first team for quite a while now - would obviously be a massive ask, but he's a possibility. 

This news, along with all the other injuries we've had this season, goes well beyond 'bad luck'. WTF do they actually do in training? Throw spanners at them? How long till Klose trips over a feather and needs a hip replacement?

FFS! 🤯

OTBC

The fact we're now going to be relying on Klose to play the remaining 8/9 games is incredibly worrying....

I guess next in line after that would be Tettey at CB and we saw how that went earliar on in the season 

Isn't it brilliant to actually have something palpable to moan about, though? Eh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, crab man said:

The fact we're now going to be relying on Klose to play the remaining 8/9 games is incredibly worrying....

I guess next in line after that would be Tettey at CB and we saw how that went earliar on in the season 

Tettey was actually not too bad when he played there to be fair. He will have to be the back up I guess.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Tettey was actually not too bad when he played there to be fair. He will have to be the back up I guess.

He'd probably be alright if he was playing next to a fully-developed centre half who could run the defence. Godfrey isn't that yet.

I'd be having a word in the ear of the ref before kickoff RE: protecting Ben and Timm from players 'leaving a foot in'. If this was a local league game and you knew the other team had a problem at CB you can guarantee they would 'Do a DIon' as I call it and leave a couple on them early doors.

Is Dublin available? Sign him up again! He’s a better defender than tv presenter!

Surely if Klose and Godfrey stay fit we’re in a good position?

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Is Dublin available? Sign him up again! He’s a better defender than tv presenter!

Maybe if we ask nicely 😇

I was referencing a game against Charlton during those dark years where they hadn't named a keeper on their bench and Dion got in trouble with the ref for knocking the goalie up in the air a few times. Always stuck with me.

45 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Utter shambles.

3 months we've had to nurture them all back to fitness.

Not quite as simple as that, and as an example, a club with much more money invested into that sort of stuff in Arsenal had 2 players go off with injuries 20 minutes or whatever into their first game.

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

Of course, but we have nine league games and one cup match in the space of just six weeks, and after three months without playing, there's no way they'll be able to maintain 100% fitness without needing a rest here and there. And that's assuming they don't pick up an injury.

I guess Stieperman could also cover LB, having already played there, and, at a push, CB. Whoever plays there on Friday is going to have their work cut out for them if Ings picks up again where he left off.

CB gets injured - Tettey

If Lewis gets injured - Stiepermann?

If Byram gets injured - Rupp?

I think the three youngsters *should* be OK. Klose, on the other hand, is a huge worry after hardly playing any football (27 minutes) this season.

20 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

CB gets injured - Tettey

If Lewis gets injured - Stiepermann?

If Byram gets injured - Rupp?

I think the three youngsters *should* be OK. Klose, on the other hand, is a huge worry after hardly playing any football (27 minutes) this season.

Byram’s already out, assuming you mean Aaron’s?

I think it's harsh to blame the training regime, otherwise surely it would other positions within the squad as well. Maybe it's bad luck, or genetics of that particular player. If it is the latter I do understand that you could argue that we should tailor the training to their needs.

On the mention of Jordan Thomas, what do we think? Would we rather see a youngster in his natural position given the chance of try the square pegg round hole idea?

Unsure if he could play, but what about Caleb richards? Young lad who was on loan at Tampa bay?

• Like 1

I think this combined with 9 subs could at least give a few younger players an opening- Josh Martin, Jordan Thomas and Daniel Adshead may all at least get a go from the bench at times.