Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Zimmermann and Byram also out for the season

Recommended Posts

FFS

This is fcuking rediculous. Seriously we need to review our defensive squad, so brittle.

And some on here think 4 CBs is enough!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, Klose out 'for the season' and the defensive injuries earlier in the season is a pop-up crisis.

For exactly the same thing to be happening again- and hamstring, hamstring, hamstring & back, no less- I think we have to be asking questions of the sports science dept. I can't imagine that a professional level of analysis isn't seeing that our small collection of player above 6ft suddenly have chronic injury problems in similar areas.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Capt. Pants said:

And some on here think 4 CBs is enough!

Ordinarily it is.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

For me, Klose out 'for the season' and the defensive injuries earlier in the season is a pop-up crisis.

For exactly the same thing to be happening again- and hamstring, hamstring, hamstring & back, no less- I think we have to be asking questions of the sports science dept. I can't imagine that a professional level of analysis isn't seeing that our small collection of player above 6ft suddenly have chronic injury problems in similar areas.

 

I like Zimbo and Hanley, but fitness and durability wise they are a liability.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Questions have to be asked. If Klose isn’t fully fit we have Godfrey as our only fit CB, that’s not right for a PL club.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Not if you want to play 3 of them at the back it certainly isn’t, as we were told we would be trying.  Oddly, our full backs don’t seem capable of filling in with any comfort (possibly due to inexperience).  Our summer transfer window was poor and sadly I think this injury bulletin has seen our ‘slim’ survival chances reduced to ‘miracle’ status.  Keeping both Klose and Godfrey fit for 9 (+ cup) games in c6 -7 weeks is unlikely.

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Ordinarily it is.

 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

For me, Klose out 'for the season' and the defensive injuries earlier in the season is a pop-up crisis.

For exactly the same thing to be happening again- and hamstring, hamstring, hamstring & back, no less- I think we have to be asking questions of the sports science dept. I can't imagine that a professional level of analysis isn't seeing that our small collection of player above 6ft suddenly have chronic injury problems in similar areas.

 

We need to source some Ronnie Corbett-sized centre backs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

There needs to be an investigation into training and the behind the scenes going ons.

 

I mean, really? this many injuries outside of matches?

Outside of matches?  Byram got injured in the game against Liverpool. Klose got injured in the game at Crawley. Godfrey got injured in the game at Leicester. Zimmermann (earlier in the season) got injured in the game against West Ham. 

There have been injuries in training - but that's hardly a new thing in football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Is it OK to question the training set up/sports science or whatever you want to call it at Colney ? Three months with no football as as soon as we are about to restart the injuries pile up yet again !

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

FFS

This is fcuking rediculous. Seriously we need to review our defensive squad, so brittle.

And some on here think 4 CBs is enough!

It usually is, unless you get really unlucky.

We started the season with four centre backs for two positions: Godfrey, Zimmermann, Klose and Hanley.

We started the season with four full backs for two positions: Aarons, Lewis, Byram and Heise.

We had a nightmare at centre back where three players picked up long term injuries at the same time. Some say that we didn't prepare well enough.

Fortunately, we never had more than one full back injured at a time. This meant Heise didn't play a minute of Premier League football until he was let go in January.

Hypothetically, the reverse could easily have happened.

We could've had at least three centre backs available at all times, and Hanley could've been the 'Heise' who ended up playing zero minutes this season. There would have been nobody questioning why we only had four players for two positions.

Aarons, Lewis and Heise could all have picked up long term injuries, leaving just Byram with other players to cover. I'm sure many would be outraged, claiming that four full backs for two positions were not enough and we should have signed more.

Why are those claiming four centre backs weren't enough not saying the same about full backs? How were we supposed to know which players would get injured?

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For goodness' sake.

Expect there to be many other muscle injuries between now and the end of the season too - players are effectively being asked to play extremely important competitive games without the equivalent of any pre-season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this is fun.

Again, would love to understand the thought process that let two defenders walk in the January window without a replacement coming in. 

We're not just talking central defenders now- as far as I'm aware we now have 4 fit defenders total. The squad has been badly mismanaged at this point.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I like Zimbo and Hanley, but fitness and durability wise they are a liability.

Before his injuries this season, ZImmermann was practically bulletproof for his first 2 years with us. Going off of transfermarkt (and of course taken with pinch of salt) the last time he had any sort of major injury before this season was 6 years ago. If you look at his appearance stats, the last time he didn't play a first-team level of games was when he was 19.

Hanley admittedly has had a bumpier ride with us, but I think that feels a bit worse than it is as every time he picks up a knock the player that replaces him stays there for a while. Byram we knew was a bit injury prone anyway so I'm not going to try and argue his case here.

As I posted on another thread, there is a clear correlation between our heavier, taller players and the amount of time spent unavailable this season. The only outliers are Godfrey, who I think is just a natural athlete (and was playing with injuries for a considerable amount of time) and Stiepermann who I can only guess is too laid back to get injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, king canary said:

Well this is fun.

Again, would love to understand the thought process that let two defenders walk in the January window without a replacement coming in. 

We're not just talking central defenders now- as far as I'm aware we now have 4 fit defenders total. The squad has been badly mismanaged at this point.

I too was surprised to see Heise leave with no replacement. It left Lewis as the only specialist left back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I too was surprised to see Heise leave with no replacement. It left Lewis as the only specialist left back.

I get that they obvious prefer Byram to cover at left back but it is madness to have one player as your primary backup in two positions- it means just one injury leaves you without any cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like all three of these injuries will drag into the start of next season too. Surely we’ll have to buy at least one more Ch, goodness knows who will play if Klose is not up to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, king canary said:

I get that they obvious prefer Byram to cover at left back but it is madness to have one player as your primary backup in two positions- it means just one injury leaves you without any cover.

Exactly. Three players for two positions is too light. Four is ideal, five is arguably a bit heavy.

I'd certainly rather five than three, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

There needs to be an investigation into training and the behind the scenes going ons.

I mean, really? this many injuries outside of matches?

It is very, very unusual. Can't ever remember injuries like this in a season before, especially in the same playing area. It's never bl00dy ending.

OTBC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we can forget about it now. This just is too much for our club , let alone one of the top six. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry but there needs to be an investigation by Webber into the fitness/conditioning side of things this season and in particular pre-season and pre-resumption. There have been far too many training related injuries (or injuries in matches that could be triggered by fatigue) all season and it has f**ked our season up. I am really disappointed at this news today which puts us on the back foot before we've even kicked a ball again. We know one injury to Godfrey and Klose (and with at least 10 games in quick succession what are the chances of both staying fit) and its curtains.

If we are going to constantly flog our players into the ground then we need to be buying more robust players in future.

If not, we need to be better tailoring the training regime to the players we have because its clearly not right at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I like Zimbo and Hanley, but fitness and durability wise they are a liability.

Zimbo has never been a liability before. There is a link here in my view to the "changes" to our training regime we made ahead of this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Exactly. Three players for two positions is too light. Four is ideal, five is arguably a bit heavy.

I'd certainly rather five than three, though.

Going back to what Webber normally says, often times if we can't afford to buy a first-team player for a position we essentially consider one of the u23s as that cover. So I guess it was Aarons, Byram, Lewis.... and someone. I know we've had Godfrey play at full back before (I like the little snippet for people of 'that' persuasion that BG has played more league games at right back than he has at DM) so maybe that was the plan.

Seems unlikely though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What are our actual options from the u23’s - we obviously can’t use guys that were out in loan but there must be some defenders out there in the squad? Maybe it is time to give one of them a go.
You can call ‘bad luck’ as much as you want but imo our defensive situation has been poorly managed.  People banging on about having 4 cbs miss the point that at no point have we had them fit the entire season, and have often been down to 2 or 1. January was a time to have a look and we decided to lose two defensive options with no replacement coming in. Madness. And that’s most definitely not hindsight talking, just plain sense.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so, Aarons, Tettey, Godfrey and Lewis... with Steipermann as cover

Down to the bare bone, so if we stay up if will be a fcking huge achievement now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bill said:

so, Aarons, Tettey, Godfrey and Lewis... with Steipermann as cover

Down to the bare bone, so if we stay up if will be a fcking huge achievement now

Klose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

What are our actual options from the u23’s - we obviously can’t use guys that were out in loan but there must be some defenders out there in the squad? Maybe it is time to give one of them a go.
You can call ‘bad luck’ as much as you want but imo our defensive situation has been poorly managed.  People banging on about having 4 cbs miss the point that at no point have we had them fit the entire season, and have often been down to 2 or 1. January was a time to have a look and we decided to lose two defensive options with no replacement coming in. Madness. And that’s most definitely not hindsight talking, just plain sense.

There's an American kid in the U23s isn't there but he's very young. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Going back to what Webber normally says, often times if we can't afford to buy a first-team player for a position we essentially consider one of the u23s as that cover. So I guess it was Aarons, Byram, Lewis.... and someone. I know we've had Godfrey play at full back before (I like the little snippet for people of 'that' persuasion that BG has played more league games at right back than he has at DM) so maybe that was the plan.

Seems unlikely though.

I can understand that in the Championship, but it's too risky at Premier League level. Throwing an untried teenage defender into the Premier League is like feeding them to wolves. All Premier League teams have the resources to ensure there are two players for every position.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...